Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

two more days for char submissions, apes. i've currently got seven people to pick from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

AcidRonin posted:

I just read yours and yea that's true. You posted first so if we both get picked I can go more sage-y research-y type Savant. That would work just a few personality tweaks. Play it as a sort of a younger more headstrong Uber Amos. Getting in to trouble trying to read forbidden lore and the like. It would still be fun for me. Sorry about that I didn't read yours first!

Naw, don't apologize. I'm the kind of roleplayer who is fine with like, a D&D party consisting of four clerics. In real life, people who have very similar skillsets are more likely to work together, and where characters really differentiate themselves is in their personalities anyway. I view the mechanics as a necessary evil, there to create ideas, resolve decisions that involve risk, and provide structure. The fun part is playing a guy, and I'm confident that if both our guys were in the game together, they'd feel like different people.

So like: if we have two guys who are both good at interrogating people, we can team up and play good cop/bad cop. If we're both good at doing research, we can research two things at once, or provide bonuses to one another, or maybe get into arguments about esoteric details of research technique. It'll work.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Leperflesh posted:

So like: if we have two guys who are both good at interrogating people, we can team up and play good cop/bad cop. If we're both good at doing research, we can research two things at once, or provide bonuses to one another, or maybe get into arguments about esoteric details of research technique. It'll work.

Also relevant: In Dark Heresy 2 there are skills and mechanics to support this sort of thing. Peep out Coordinated Interrogation in talents. It's pretty much "Good cop, Bad cop: the character mechanic"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
But if you folks are god cop and bad cop' what kind of cop does that make me?

And while we're on the topic of team play talents, anyone considering even doing some melee should look at double team. It makes even your most mediocre combatant a loving duelest.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Werix posted:

I call RoboCop! :v:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Werix posted:

And while we're on the topic of team play talents, anyone considering even doing some melee should look at double team. It makes even your most mediocre combatant a loving duelest.

You're good cop. Leperfish is bad cop. I'm MURDEROUS COP. Put me in their cage and I'll just foam at the mouth and fire wildly into the air.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
as psy-cop I'm going to violate due process by mindreading and get the case thrown out of space court.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Werix posted:

If I get picked and IF I survive long enough to get exp, that's my 2nd purchase, after two weapon wielder.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Ronwayne posted:

If I get picked and IF I survive long enough to get exp, that's my 2nd purchase, after two weapon wielder.

Seriously, two weapon wielder, swift attack, and double team on two folks grantee you're going to puree some folks, I speak from experience. Bonus points for actually using a chainsword.

e: I mean both people having double team. Only one person needs two weapons and swift attack to be a human blender.

Werix fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 6, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Double team is melee only right? I can't take double team and try to gun-kata in melee to give my homies bonuses?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I think the guardsman default ability is the shooting equivalent of Double Tap.

Werix posted:

Seriously, two weapon wielder, swift attack, and double team on two folks grantee you're going to puree some folks, I speak from experience. Bonus points for actually using a chainsword.

e: I mean both people having double team. Only one person needs two weapons and swift attack to be a human blender.

I THOUGHT about getting unarmed master along with ambidex for slapping folks stupid/dead, but I'd be just as happy getting another chainsword and two weapon.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 6, 2016

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

quote is not edit.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DeathSandwich posted:

Double team is melee only right? I can't take double team and try to gun-kata in melee to give my homies bonuses?

Im reasonably certain there is a Talent somewhere that lets you use pistols in melee without penalty/with bonuses.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Who What Now posted:

Im reasonably certain there is a Talent somewhere that lets you use pistols in melee without penalty/with bonuses.

There is target selection, which lets you shoot into melee (someone else) without the usual penalty. You actually don't take any penalties for using your own pistols in melee with someone else, you just do not get the point blank range bonus to hit.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Which is why you want to half-action acrobatics disengage so you're now in pointblank range and can waste them.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Werix posted:

There is target selection, which lets you shoot into melee (someone else) without the usual penalty. You actually don't take any penalties for using your own pistols in melee with someone else, you just do not get the point blank range bonus to hit.

I was caring less about my own personal to-hit values and thinking more in the terms of passing double team bonuses to others.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Literally 40k Police Academy.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

AcidRonin posted:

Literally 40k Police Academy.

Even down to only having like 2 guys who can competently shoot guns and 1-2 who are competent in melee.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DeathSandwich posted:

Even down to only having like 2 guys who can competently shoot guns and 1-2 who are competent in melee.

I can pretty easily get my BS up to 75+ with my long las.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Right. It has been a bit tricky, but the warband is as follows:

thatbastardken with Gamma, because I like the idea of a bafflingly tough psyker that is hated and feared for being a witch and who just wants to ~belong~
Leperflesh with Ignatius, because Leperflesh is a system newbie and because it makes sense to put a diplomatic character on a diplomatic extraction!!
AcidRonin with Eadian, because AcidRonin is a system newbie and because I want to have nerdfights happen
Who What Now with Ignavus, because every party needs a metalman and because his spergy agoraphobic character with admech status is going to mesh with the setting in an interesting way.
DeathSandwich with Bulworth, because he was the first cop to get a bio up, it might be handy to have some actual muscle in the party, and because his dude will jar nicely with the rest of the party.

Apologies to the others who didn't get picked - I did appreciate 'em, and if you're still interested you'll be first recourse if anyone drops out in future.

Next steps will be to get AcidRonin and Leperflesh charsheets set up, and to discuss how the game will work. Will probably look at that tomorrow or Sunday.

One thing I do want to float is the idea that in play, I'm going to shift a deal of the worldbuilding onto you. If an NPC's not already explicitly described as bald, feel free to grab a handful of his lank, greying hair if you need to intimidate him, or to put words in her mouth if you want to hold a conversation. Or if you're looking to do an inquiry roll to find out whether anyone's spotted an escaped six-limbed xenos beast, feel free for it to be market day at a nearby bazaar so you can go and scare the poo poo out of as many people as possible, or come up with a nearby imperial cult chapel with an attendant priest who just might know.

As a general rule you won't get explicit mechanical bonuses from this - there'll be no convenient lascannons lying behind barricades in combat, nor will you be able to arbitrarily claim roll bonuses without running it by me first, but I generally tend to give easier target numbers for well-described, smart, or just plain audacious plans. Plus it enables your characters to actually interact with the world.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Right. It has been a bit tricky, but the warband is as follows:

thatbastardken with Gamma, because I like the idea of a bafflingly tough psyker that is hated and feared for being a witch and who just wants to ~belong~
Leperflesh with Ignatius, because Leperflesh is a system newbie and because it makes sense to put a diplomatic character on a diplomatic extraction!!
AcidRonin with Eadian, because AcidRonin is a system newbie and because I want to have nerdfights happen
Who What Now with Ignavus, because every party needs a metalman and because his spergy agoraphobic character with admech status is going to mesh with the setting in an interesting way.
DeathSandwich with Bulworth, because he was the first cop to get a bio up, it might be handy to have some actual muscle in the party, and because his dude will jar nicely with the rest of the party.

Apologies to the others who didn't get picked - I did appreciate 'em, and if you're still interested you'll be first recourse if anyone drops out in future.

Next steps will be to get AcidRonin and Leperflesh charsheets set up, and to discuss how the game will work. Will probably look at that tomorrow or Sunday.

One thing I do want to float is the idea that in play, I'm going to shift a deal of the worldbuilding onto you. If an NPC's not already explicitly described as bald, feel free to grab a handful of his lank, greying hair if you need to intimidate him, or to put words in her mouth if you want to hold a conversation. Or if you're looking to do an inquiry roll to find out whether anyone's spotted an escaped six-limbed xenos beast, feel free for it to be market day at a nearby bazaar so you can go and scare the poo poo out of as many people as possible, or come up with a nearby imperial cult chapel with an attendant priest who just might know.

As a general rule you won't get explicit mechanical bonuses from this - there'll be no convenient lascannons lying behind barricades in combat, nor will you be able to arbitrarily claim roll bonuses without running it by me first, but I generally tend to give easier target numbers for well-described, smart, or just plain audacious plans. Plus it enables your characters to actually interact with the world.

Are you going to collect planetary factoids from us like in the scruntgame?

Edit: Will do some in character flavor posts later tonight.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I might change my character's name so it's not nearly identical to thatbastardken's character's name. I gotta find something else to put through Google Translate into Latin.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

DeathSandwich posted:

Are you going to collect planetary factoids from us like in the scruntgame?

Nope, not initially. This game's probably a bit less sandboxy and I've kinda worked out what the planet's like, so I've got something else in mind for what I want from you guys in terms of generating plot threads, which will put more of a focus on interparty interactions.

'course, we can still do planetary factoids a bit later once you have a handle on how the place works. It's just at the moment I don't want to have to seemingly-arbitrarily veto stuff.

Who What Now posted:

I might change my character's name so it's not nearly identical to thatbastardken's character's name. I gotta find something else to put through Google Translate into Latin.

Leperflesh's? Just use your dude's first name, albeit with an -US instead of an -A

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hooray! I made the cut!

WWN, you can keep your character's name, it'll be fine. If anyone gets confused, we'll come up with a nickname or maybe we'll use our official titles or ranks or something. Or we'll just take advantage of the confusion in amusing ways.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Real life stuff came up, but congrats you all. This is gonna be fun to watch.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Leperflesh posted:

Hooray! I made the cut!

WWN, you can keep your character's name, it'll be fine. If anyone gets confused, we'll come up with a nickname or maybe we'll use our official titles or ranks or something. Or we'll just take advantage of the confusion in amusing ways.

I'll just go by Aperta.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Congrats guys, have fun, esp the new folks.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICE7kFwmNdk
Barry "The Bull" Bullworth

The crew informally called the place Club Limbo. 'Where you can find out how low life can be' was the motto the crew gave it. In reality the place was a run down watering hole located in the bowels of the ship. The ships laborers come here because the drinks are cheap, and the midshipmen and officers like it because nobody asks questions. It's got a reputation for being rough, you occasionally get an angry officer coming down there looking to fight one of his lessers. More often than not they leave with a few new scars and a refusal to talk about what happened.

And I happened to find myself there, nursing a glass of rotgut amsec.

I had been aboard the Rogue Trader fleet The Victorious for about a month. Since leaving the Fenwarth IV I spent a fair amount of time in this dive. After leaving the Arbites I had nowhere to on the planet. I'd been too inconvenient to too many people on the planet. It was only a matter of time until someone decided to lodge a bullet in my brain. Getting away from that dusty rock was the only way to salvage anything resembling a life. I could no longer call myself an Arbites, but what I had learned was still useful. No matter where you go, inevitably someone will carry a grudge on someone else. Shipboard spouses suspect each other of cheating, an officer needs a stolen artifact found with no paper trail, scared people need protection. I could help people with their problems for a price. I was was useful to some people who mattered: I was effective and I didn't ask too many hard questions. It'd give me some seed cash to get situated wherever I wind up. So I can do something responsible with my life. Or at least, that was the plan until Lucille entered my life.

She seemed wildly out of place at the time, a high-strung beauty dressed for attention in a den of deviants and ruffians. At any other bar I would of mistook her for a working girl looking for a new john based on her looks. She sat down the bar from me and exchanged looks before I went back to my drink. Not that I wasn't interested, I just had too much grief bouncing around my mind without getting a dame mixed up in things. It was about the time that I settled my mind elsewhere that she came back to the forefront.

"Are you Bulworth?" She asked, sliding over to the stool next to mine.

"Right now I'm just a guy enjoying his drink." I said, eyes fixed on the rows of half empty bottles across from me.

"I was told I could find you here, by Ensign Fredrick Vansig. He said you could help me."

"Vansig is a dry-drunk, he probably told you wrong." I replied, trying my hardest not to care.

"But I don't know who else I can turn to.. "

I finally turn to face her, "You see that guy over there?" I ask, nodding my head toward the very large sailor in the corner throwing darts at an ancient, faded board. "They call him Frankie Two-Tone. If you need protection from someone he'll turn them black and blue. He's very good at what he does. Don't even have to worry about him making untoward advances, you're not his preferred gender."

"That's not the kind of help I need. I don't want to hurt anyone!" She said pleadingly the beginning of a tear in her eye.

I put my drink down, ice cubes rattling tersely on the old wooden bartop. "Fine, let's hear what you got to say."

The woman intoduced herself as Lucille Romero, only child of Norman Romero and heir to the Romero trade syndicate. Due to her political position she didn't have a childhood to speak of, surrounded by servants and minders. True to her Noble upbringing, her father was absentee her young life, practically a stranger. When she had finally come of age, her father entered back into her life. Instead of grooming her to take over the family business like she had hoped, he had instead done so to arrange her marriage and sell her off to one of their allied families. Her arranged fiancee, while a gifted businessman, was a sadist she said as she pulls one of her dress legs back, revealing jagged chain scars. She called the scars 'his burdens', the mark a raving monster out of control and hungry for human suffering. She was able to slip from his brutal hand before their marriage and get off planet, finding her way onto this vessel. She was afraid though, she thought she may be made and that someone was going to come for her. Her father, concerned only about securing a patriarchal lineage and not for his daughter's well being, was helping her fiancee to track her down. Afraid her identity has been made, she decided no amount of muscle could save her from his wrath and has decided she needs to disappear instead. She didn't have much cash, but she was willing to pay with the expensive jewelry she snagged during her succor from her tormentor's estate.

I bought into whole sad story. That was my big mistake. The voice of reason asked why a woman in her position would come to a rat infested dive dressed for a gala party. Something didn't make sense but at that point I was 3 drinks too far gone to piece it together. There's a reason I don't do business at a bar.

I pay my bill and we get out of the bar as quick as possible. As I pointed out, there were several in the bar that have been staring star-struck, dark thoughts boiling underneath and we'd attract more attention if we stayed. I add that she can't go back to her cabin, if someone has made her that'll be the first place they come for her. I tell her she can stay in the second cabin afforded to me to use as a make-shift office. She was eagerly agreeable, I should have noticed how quickly and readily she was ready to leave what little worldly possessions behind.

I tell her if she wants to disappear she'll need to change her look. Cut her hair, get clothing that is 'beneath her'. Ditch the jewelry and hide any distinguishing marks. It was about this time that we rounded the corner to the hall containing both my cabins.

The door swung open and I immediately caught the scent of fancy cologne and foreign incense. A faintly lit heavy-set figure sitting at my desk shifted back, casting a long droopy shadow across the threshold like the visage of death. Before I could move to draw I felt the distinct point of a pistol barrel dig into my kidneys. "Un-uh there, no quick moves hot-shot. I said I didn't want to hurt anyone and I still mean it." said Lucille now holding a compact laspistol she must of kept in a hidden pocket the whole time.

I'd been played like a piano. For the moment I cared less about the man ahead of me and more about the woman

I turn my head enough for her to know I was talking to her"So the sob story about the bloodthirsty fiancee?"

She tossed her hair and shrugged speaking with a different, stronger accent, "It was the stone cold truth hun. All up until the part where I forgot to mention that I killed the bastard on my way out." before mockingly shooting me puppy dog eyes and prodding me with the pistol's barrel to get me moving.

She sat me down opposite the man behind the desk and leaned against the far wall, her part in this game was done and she lost all interest in what came next.

We sat in unsettling silence for a moment, sizing each other up. He was build like a brick shithouse in a fancy suit, only most shithouses don't look this mean. Some of the bulk was due to telltale signs of cybernetic implants but I figured even without the guy was jacked and ready to go 12 rounds with a mutant grox regardless. I broke the silence by being the first one to speak.

"I don't know what you're two's game is. If you were hired to kill me, I count 3 different dark corners you could of plugged me on the way back from the bar. You didn't disarm me, so you're not capturing me to be tortured or killed by whomever I hosed over back on Fenwarth. If it's a job, it's obviously not the sort of job you normally see among the petty squabbles of a Rogue Trader's entourage. What angle are you playing?"

The man in response slides a dataslate over to me. He addresses me as I reach for the tablet with a voice as booming and commanding as you would expect from a man of his stature. "There's about eighty thousand souls on this vessel, more than enough work to be had for someone with your skills. You could find a new planet to call home, make money hand over fist running protection details for Noble children or helping divorcee's claim their rightful alimony. But deep down you know that as long as you are alive, someone in that cartel wants you dead. No matter how far you travel, you'll always be looking over your shoulder" He nods at the dataslate in my hand. On it was an Imperial record: The official obituary of Arbites trooper Barry Bulworth. Killed in an accidental explosives discharge at an Arbites munitions warehouse on Fenwarth IV. He continues to speak "Sorry you won't be able to perform your own eulogy, but I can offer you something more meaningful than cheating spouses and petty crimes."

He leans in enough that I can make out the features of his face in the dismal light. His wide grin belies the jagged scar across his face and the cybernetic left eye that resides in the middle of it. "What have you heard about the inquisition?"

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 8, 2016

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Nice thanks for the pick. How do you want to do the actual sheet makeing? Should be a fun game

Edit: did we start....?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

we did not start

i'll think about how to do sheets later

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
No, we didn't start, I'm doing flavor posts to establish my characters background and history. It happens fairly often in pbp games to flesh out the characters mindset and to establish how they view other player characters.

I probably should of said that up front. I also can get kind of :words: on them as well. :v:

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 8, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Classy dames and brick shithouses, eh? Your character is a big fan of 38 thousand year old anachronistic film noir phrasing.

It's cute.

e. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm only pointing this out because it's going to drive me bonkers if you do it throughout a PbP thread...

it's "should have" not "should of." Could have, would have. have.

Sorry. I'm sorry. I won't pick apart people's writing in general. This is an informal context. I'm just incapable of not wincing whenever someone makes that particular error.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 8, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah but it's his character saying it

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Leperflesh posted:

e. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm only pointing this out because it's going to drive me bonkers if you do it throughout a PbP thread...

it's "should have" not "should of." Could have, would have. have.

Sorry. I'm sorry. I won't pick apart people's writing in general. This is an informal context. I'm just incapable of not wincing whenever someone makes that particular error.

Sorry teacher, I fixed it now. :downs:

Leperflesh posted:

Classy dames and brick shithouses, eh? Your character is a big fan of 38 thousand year old anachronistic film noir phrasing.

It's cute.

I mean, I literally wrote most everything about this character while this played on a second monitor. I use a picture from that as my character portrait. Just be glad I didn't torture the metaphors to to that degree. I'm not sure if I'll keep it up come the game thread. I may switch over to third person for that and ease up on the gents and dames 1950s Noir. :v:

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 8, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I actually don't mind if your character exists in a permanent mental film noir fugue, I think that could be really interesting to interact with.

And I think it's cool you're going ahead and fleshing out your character with more backstory, because look at the giant wall of text I wrote, right?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Hey DJF, if you want help making Leperfish and AcidRonin's character sheets I may be able to do some of that. I'll be tied up tonight and tomorrow for my birthday but I can throw some sheets together Sunday evening or Monday.

Edit: Something to keep in mind is that with our current roster (discounting the characters that still needs to be created) is we have nobody with even trained Medicae. Since we probably won't have a fieldcraft aptitude between the lot of us, it would probably be worthwhile for one of the intelligence aptituded people to take a 200 xp hit to at least get a basically trained medic that can at least try to stop someone from bleeding to death.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 8, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DeathSandwich posted:

No, we didn't start, I'm doing flavor posts to establish my characters background and history. It happens fairly often in pbp games to flesh out the characters mindset and to establish how they view other player characters.

I probably should of said that up front. I also can get kind of :words: on them as well. :v:

Look at this nerd, trying to flesh out his characters. Look at him and laugh. *nervously tries to hide gigs and gigs of character backstories*

I might write up an in-character post later tonight/tonorrow giving Aperta's initial feelings for the other players.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

alright, creatures: a bit later I'm going to address Subtlety, and individual character goals, but for now, preliminary sheets for Leperflesh and AcidRonin are as follows.

pre:
Name: Ignatius Maulbau 
Homeworld: Highborn
Background: Rogue Trader Fleet
Role: Heirophant
Divination: 07 - Humans must die so that humanity can endure - This character gains the Jaded talent. If he already possesses this talent, increase his
Willpower characteristic by 2 instead.

OR

70 - A suspicious mind is a healthy mind. - Increase this character’s Perception characteristic by 2. Additionally, he may re-roll Awareness tests to avoid being Surprised.

Aptitudes: 

Fellowship
	Offence
	Social
	Toughness
	Willpower
	Fellowship Intelligence
	Finesse

Characteristics:

WS:  25 (25 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    BS:  25 (25 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    S:   25 (25 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    T:   20 (20 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    Ag:  25 (25 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    Int: 25 (25 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    Per: 25 (25 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    WP:  25 (25 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    Fel: 30 (30 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    Inf: 30 (30 (base) +  0 (point buy))

60 points remaining

Wounds: 12 (Wounds roll: 1, 3)
Fate: 4 / 4 (Emperor's Favour: 04)
Insanity: 0
Corruption: 0

Weapons:

Compact Autopistol - Pistol / 15m / s/-/6 / 1d10+1 I / pen0 / clip9 / reload full / 0.75kg
	Shock Maul - Melee / 1d10 + 3 E / pen0 / Shocking

Armour:

Mesh Cloak
		Head  - 0
		Arms  - 4
		Torso - 4
		Legs  - 4

Skills:

Scrutiny (Per)
	Commerce (Int)
	Common Lore (Rogue Traders) (Int)
	Linguistics - [Any One Xenos] (Int)
	Operate - Surface OR Aeronautica (Ag)

Talents:

Double Team - Further +10 on melee attacks where you outnumber your opponent(s). If other friendly melee participants have Double Team, the additional bonus becomes +20.
	Weapon Training - SP, Shock - Can use weapons with no penalty

Traits:

Sway the Masses: In addition to the normal uses of Fate points (see page 293), a Hierophant character may spend a Fate point to automatically succeed at a Charm, Command, or Intimidate
        skill test with a number of degrees of success equal to his Willpower bonus.

Breeding Counts: Any time a highborn character would reduce his Influence, he reduces it by 1 less (to a minimum reduction of 1).

Inured to the Xenos: A character from a Rogue Trader Fleet gains a +10 bonus to Fear tests caused by aliens and a +20 bonus to Interaction skill tests with alien characters.	

Gear:

Auspex
	Chrono

Implants:

Advances: 0/1000

Suggested:
		Charm (Fel) (100xp)
			-> Charm +10 (Fel) 200xp
		Deceive (Fel) (100xp)
			-> Deceive +10 (Fel) 200xp
		Dodge (Ag) (300xp)
		Inquiry (Fel) (100xp)
		Medicae (Int) (200xp)
		WS +5  (250xp)
		BS +5  (250xp)
		T +5   (250xp)
		Ag +5  (250xp)
		WP +5  (250xp)
		Fel +5 (100xp)
		Peer (any of Underworld, Local nobility, Chartist voidcaptains, etc) (200xp each)
		Clues from the Crowds (100xp)
		Trade: Chymist (100xp)
		Tech-Use (Int) (200xp)
		Weapon Training (Flame, Launcher, whatever) (200xp)

and

pre:
Name: Eadian Valarius 
Homeworld: Highborn
Background: Adeptus Administratum
Role: Seeker
Divination: 69, the sacred number - Increase this character’s Perception characteristic by 2. Additionally, he may re-roll Awareness tests to avoid being Surprised.

OR

96 - When this character burns Fate threshold to survive a lethal injury, roll 1d10. On a result of 10, he survives whatever grievous wound would have killed him but does not reduce his Fate threshold.

Aptitudes: 

Fellowship
	Knowledge
	Fellowship Ballistic Skill?
	Intelligence
	Perception
	Social
	Tech

Characteristics:

WS:  25 (25 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    BS:  25 (25 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    S:   25 (25 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    T:   20 (20 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    Ag:  25 (25 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    Int: 25 (25 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    Per: 25 (25 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    WP:  25 (25 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    Fel: 30 (30 (base) +  0 (point buy))
    Inf: 30 (30 (base) +  0 (point buy))

60 points remaining

Wounds: 14 (Wounds roll = 5, 5)
Fate: 4 / 4 (Emperor's Favour: 03)
Insanity: 0
Corruption: 0

Weapons:

Stub Automatic - pistol/ 30m / s/3/- / 1d10+3I / pen0 / clip9 / reload full

Armour:

Imperial robes
        Head - 0
        Arms - 1
        Torso - 1
        Legs - 1

Skills:

Medicae (Int)
	Common Lore - Adeptus Administratum (Int)
	Logic (Int)
	Linguistics - High Gothic (Int)
	Scholastic Lore - Tactica Imperialis (Int)

Talents:

Weapon Training - SP - Can use weapons with no penalty
	Keen Intuition - After failing an Awareness check, can immediately retry at -10 penalty.

Traits:

Breeding Counts: Any time a highborn character would reduce his Influence, he reduces it by 1 less (to a minimum reduction of 1).
	Nothing Escapes My Sight: Can spend fate points to automatically pass Awareness or Inquiry tests with DoS equal to Perception bonus.
	Master of Paperwork: When acquiring items, an Administratum character counts their availability as one step higher than usual (i.e. Rare becomes Scarce, etc.) 

Gear:

Autoquill
	Dataslate
	Medkit
	Chrono

Implants:

Advances: 0/1000

Suggested:
		Awareness (Per) - 200xp
		Charm (Fel) - 100xp
		Deceive (Fel) - 100xp
		Common, Scholastic, Forbidden Lores - 100xp each
		Scrutiny - 100xp
		Tech Use - 100xp
		Interrogation - 200xp
		Security - 100xp
		Dodge - 300xp
		Peer (Imperial fleet officers, Local nobility, etc) - 200xp
		Infused Knowledge - 400xp
		Cover Up - 300xp
		Fel +5 - 100xp
		BS +5 - 250xp
		Int +5 - 100xp
		Per +5 - 250xp
                Trade (Linguist) - 100xp
You will need to do the following:

1) Pick your divination - go with whatever one sounds better. In both cases your pre-inverted rolls sound best, to be honest.
2) Assign your characteristics - you have 60 points to assign to your characteristics. Higher stats are obviously better, but jumps in functionality come at every 10pts - your Characteristic Bonus, used for a whole bunch of things, is the tens digit of any given characteristic.

A score of 20 is poor, 30 is the "trained human average", 40 is very good. Stats cannot be raised to higher than 45 using point buy.

Your stats are, in order, Weapon Skill, Ballistics Skill, Strength, Toughness, Agility, Intelligence, Perception, Willpower, Fellowship and Influence. Almost all of them are fairly self explanatory - swordsmanship, gunsmanship, ability to apply force, ability to resist force, speed/dexterity, smarts, eyes, mental fortitude and self-control, ability to persuade/coerce others. The only weird one is Influence:

quote:

This measures a character’s connections, reputation, and resources. High Influence can allow a character to quickly summon the aid of local military forces to his side, or arrange for fast transit to another star system. Unlike the other characteristics, Influence changes only as a character performs actions: it would decrease should he fail a mission in a highly visible manner, for example, or increase after he successfully rescues a kidnapped planetary governor.

3) Spend some experience - Characteristics are broadly useful and expensive, skills are a bit more narrowly useful and cheap, talents are similar to D&D feats and are weirdly pricey. I have suggested some stuff for you to spend your XP on but I strongly suggest coordinating with the other players.

4) Pick some gear - You get a number of gear picks equal to your Influence Bonus, each of which can be up to Scarce availability. For AcidRonin, your picks can be up to Rare availability, thanks to your character's background. Again, I strongly suggest coordinating with other players - I'm not going to post the whole list of available gear in this thread, but if you're stuck then give me some vague ideas of what you want and I'll turn up what's available.

Bear in mind that biggest does not necessarily mean best. Trooping around in full guard armour with a boltgun slung over your shoulders can easily tank the party's Subtlety, depending on the context. Slogging through the underhive is probably fine; attending a noble's ball, maybe less so.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Important to note: You both get at 3 acquisitions due to influence.

Some good ideas of things to pick based on what you guys have baseline

A weapon and some armor: The armor thing is less important for Ignatius because he starts with pretty decent armor but if we get in any scraps it may be worthwhile for Eadian to have some better armor. Due to the requesition bonus, He can theoretically start with Best Quality Chainmail which seems like something a vain noble would don if only to impress his friends with the craftsmanship.

Another consideration for Eadian would be a good candidate for a hand flamer. It's not dependent on ballistics skill rolls and is also available to him at rare availability.. It's still pistol sized and could be used in lieu of a melee weapon should he find himself engaged in fisticuffs. Even if he doesn't take a flamer proficiency it's still going to probably be more effective than anything else his character could do in melee or short range. It's also significantly more concealable and probably easier on subtlety compared to a regular full sized flamer.

Eadin can also pick up a good quality (rare) medi-kit if himself or someone else is to pick up the medicae skill, it would certainly help in any sort of medical situation.

Rebreathers or void suits would be potentially useful since it's been said we're going to an ocean world.

There's some other miscellaneous gear that would be potentially useful during our adventures. Las Cutters for cutting bulkheads and sawing through doors, multikey for picking locks and disabling traps. Eadian can get a signal jammer to squash any communications if we're breaching and clearing a cultist shithole doing delicate ops and don't want to be disturbed.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

counterpoint: take four monotask Laud Hailer servoskulls

e: also if you grab random poo poo on the hope that it's useful, you may just end up lugging a glorified paperweight around with you. it is well within your capacity to identify a need for something and then go shopping for it.

the flipside of this is that if you requisition rare items in the field you take Subtlety hits, so it's really a case of which risk you want to take

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 10, 2016

• Locked thread