Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

LobsterMobster posted:

I met Esther Lin at the weigh ins, so I win.

My girlfriend and I met her at an Invicta, she is very nice but seemed baffled we recognized her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

afatwhiteloaf posted:

Did you give her one of your shirts?

I gave one to her fiance, who does video stuff with her (mixed martial arfs)

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
It was cool how all the rumor mongering MMA "journalists" on twitter were like "RDA's physique has massively changed since USDA testing started" and then he shows up to the weigh ins looking exactly the same.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
can cowboy even beat rda is that even a remote possibility

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

wiffle ball bat posted:

155 is so stacked with talent that I would like to think that the top five could all beat each other on any given day. I would never count out a fighter like Cowboy. However, in their first fight, RDA beat him up for two rounds before Cowboy started to run it back in the third. During the fight, RDA dropped him and took him down and held him down longer than any other fighter had managed to do before, and worked his body (Cowboy's weakness) really well. Both have improved since then but I think RDA has improved the most. So, I favor RDA in this fight, but Cowboy might be able to connect with a game-changing headkick or knee.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

wiffle ball bat posted:

Sure. He's rangey and has good striking. He's crafty enough on the ground to hang or at least survive for awhile. He's been eaten up by southpaws before (in fact the only non south paw he's lost against is Jamie varner) but I think he's shown a better ability to keep distance since the last RDA fight. I still think RDA's riddim will be too much for him to handle, but I wouldn't count cerrone out of any fight at this point.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
cerrone is really loving good and extremely dangerous in literally every conceivable shape a fight could take

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i'm personally looking forward to rounds 4 and 5

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Marching Powder posted:

cerrone is really loving good and extremely dangerous in literally every conceivable shape a fight could take

I feel like he was dangerous but hittable, but I was impressed with his effort versus Eddie Alvarez. But I haven't seen Eddie fight so I don't know how good he is.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Wild Horses posted:

I feel like he was dangerous but hittable, but I was impressed with his effort versus Eddie Alvarez. But I haven't seen Eddie fight so I don't know how good he is.

He's always been hittable. But the evolution of his snap kick and check knee has gone an extremely long way to minimise this. Eddie is very good.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Wild Horses posted:

Eddies good, but he ain't nothing to suck your dick about

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
I have this feeling like cowboy is not a great fighter because I've seen him get clowned on a lot and fight to a boring decision with bendo several times. I never know if I'm gonna see some wicked Muay Thai or some tepid bullshit with that dude. These are my irrational ufc emotions but I don't see cowboy beating rda, especially not after he bullied my beautiful boy pettis so badly :(

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

did you specifically watch bendo / cerrone 3 several times or do you just have really loving lovely opinions on what constitutes a good fight because 1 and 2 were rad for different reasons. also i'm really struggling to think of a fight in which cerrone was clowned except for the diaz one which, like the alvarez fight, brings up the legitimate point that cerrone's fight iq can be bizarrely low at very random times. i'm really struggling to parse any of your points.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I can't remember a boring Cerrone fight outside of the third one with Bendo. What an absurd thing to say.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Wild Horses posted:

Alvarez is a very good fighter but he's not well rounded at all; he's very very good at the things he's good and and very very bad at the things he's bad at, and because of that he tends to whipsaw wildly between good and bad performances.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

did you specifically watch bendo / cerrone 3 several times or do you just have really loving lovely opinions on what constitutes a good fight because 1 and 2 were rad for different reasons. also i'm really struggling to think of a fight in which cerrone was clowned except for the diaz one which, like the alvarez fight, brings up the legitimate point that cerrone's fight iq can be bizarrely low at very random times. i'm really struggling to parse any of your points.

his fight against miles jury was bad, but he's had a lot of very good or great fights.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
The first round of the jury fight owned though

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

fatherdog posted:

Alvarez is a very good fighter but he's not well rounded at all; he's very very good at the things he's good and and very very bad at the things he's bad at, and because of that he tends to whipsaw wildly between good and bad performances.

i feel like he getsknocked down at least once even in the good performances

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I can't remember a boring Cerrone fight outside of the third one with Bendo. What an absurd thing to say.

the one with an anonymous short brazillian guy was terrible

cowboy has some exciting fights but sometimes its more ugly than enjoyable, to me. not lately though. lately hes good

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Dangersim posted:

The first round of the jury fight owned though

"gently caress you" kicks

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

david carmichael posted:

his fight against miles jury was bad, but he's had a lot of very good or great fights.

the second round was a bit low key but in the third round he kicked jury in the head and bashed him up and then finished the fight kicking the gently caress out of jury on the floor like he was his daughter's rapist

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I'm actually a little worried that not fighting for a while might knock cowboy out of the groove he's got going

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The drive sucked but I'm ready for some loving fights.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Silva flinching the second JDS comes in for an embrace

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
its cool that Overeem is a lot smaller now

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

Marching Powder posted:

i said they were my irrational ufc emotions. jeez dude. calm down.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

wiffle ball bat posted:

i said they were my irrational ufc emotions. jeez dude. calm down.

lol

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
the first cowboy/bendo fight was him trying to submit bendo and bendo being a strange bendy man who is impossible to submit and i came away from it thinking bendo was really unpleasant to watch fight until he moved up to fight, i think, thatch and squeaked by with a heroic rnc against a bigger man and i am now currently a bendo fan. prior to him breaking makdessi's jaw, who had no business being in the ring with him, cowboy had 3 straight decisions, one of which was the asinine bendo fight. rda big brothered anthony pettis, who made cowboy look bad at kickboxing, which is his main thing that he's good at. cowboy just screams gatekeeper to me even though i think a world where he was champion would be really cool instead of the profoundly ugly rda with his ugly fighting style as champion. this is all just a game of grabass until the real champion, pettis, works his way back into a title shot.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

manyak posted:

its cool that Overeem is a lot smaller now

i hope that after jds makes him do the frank mir face and give up that he can treat this obvious wasting disease with testosterone cypionate and korean heavyweights

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Overeem is going to win

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
yeah jds should by all accounts demolish overeem with uppercuts or whatever but this has the feel of a real stupid fight to it

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

wiffle ball bat posted:

the first cowboy/bendo fight was him trying to submit bendo and bendo being a strange bendy man who is impossible to submit and i came away from it thinking bendo was really unpleasant to watch fight until he moved up to fight, i think, thatch and squeaked by with a heroic rnc against a bigger man and i am now currently a bendo fan. prior to him breaking makdessi's jaw, who had no business being in the ring with him, cowboy had 3 straight decisions, one of which was the asinine bendo fight. rda big brothered anthony pettis, who made cowboy look bad at kickboxing, which is his main thing that he's good at. cowboy just screams gatekeeper to me even though i think a world where he was champion would be really cool instead of the profoundly ugly rda with his ugly fighting style as champion. this is all just a game of grabass until the real champion, pettis, works his way back into a title shot.

you're really passionate about this sport, which i applaud, and maybe in time you'll actually begin thinking about fights and then i'll be able to talk to you in a way that you don't find immediately offensive, i wait with baited breath for that day

henkman posted:

Overeem is going to win

possibly.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

anthony pettis looks like a rapist and putting him on a wheaties box fucks up my brain

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

fun fact cowboy broke makdessi's jaw while he had a broken rib. anyone who has even so much as cracked a rib knows how insanely impressive that is.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i remember when cowboy kneed pettis out of the air during one of his retarded kicks. if only he wasn't such a loving pussy succumbing to a clean liver shot. bad at fighting.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

What time are people heading to the arena? I'm thinking 5ish to catch most of the prelims.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Brain Curry posted:

What time are people heading to the arena? I'm thinking 5ish to catch most of the prelims.

First prelims start at 3:30. There are a group of four of us meeting up for lunch before heading to the arena.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

First prelims start at 3:30. There are a group of four of us meeting up for lunch before heading to the arena.

Yeah, no way in heck I'm missing prelim supperweights kicking off the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

i remember when cowboy kneed pettis out of the air during one of his retarded kicks. if only he wasn't such a loving pussy succumbing to a clean liver shot. bad at fighting.

The best part about that knee is that it's still in Pettis' highlight reel, because people love handstand kicks, even if you get the worst of the exchange.

• Locked thread