Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
I probably shouldn't mix your threads, and I don't know if this is your only car

Snipped for size:

scuz posted:

I’m planning on doing everything I can to the vehicle in order to fall in love with the car resent it a bit less. More aggressive camshaft, improved wheels and tires, turbo install, fix the loving door locks, remove the rear seats and replace the entire interior from the front seats to the hatch with a removable hardwood bed, wrap it in buffalo plaid, swap in a 6-speed manual from the 20th anniversary edition, you know, that kinda stuff. If I’m serious about the turbo, I’ll want to rebuild the engine, but then I thought “why not convert it to 16v with a $150 head off craigslist and go with ITBs?” Darn you, brain :allears:. We’ll see.

The biggest problem? Oil consumption. This motherfucker burns near a quart every 300 miles, give or take. It’s burning and not leaking out of the engine because every 1,200 miles or so I have to remove and clean the spark plugs, which are coated in oil and carbon build up

If I don’t go through this regular cleaning, it starts misfiring. The post-cat O2 sensor is grumpy because, according to it, the cat is operating below performance threshold. It’s very likely that all this oil is junking the cat and I’ll have to replace that AND the O2 sensor.

After the oil’s fixed the next on the list is the A/C. It’s completely shot, but doesn’t leak at all, leading me to believe that the compressor has disintegrated from the inside, so I’m going to replace everything, preferably from a junker/donor car.

But, hold off on any of this that you can, set an allowance and consider it a hobby.

scuz posted:

What’re YOU doing with it?

I’m fixing it. Stop laughing. I’m fixing it and then I’m selling it to the next masochist who thinks a W8 is a good idea. A few VW enthusiasts that I know tell me that there are a lot of VW enthusiasts in the area and they have meet-ups every year, so that’s my deadline: get this thing sale-ready by the next big ol’ meet-up in the summer. On the outside chance that I decide owning this is a better idea than my other long term idea (building my Golf’s 2.0L into something useful and putting it in a Caddy then converting it to RWD), I’ll keep the drat thing. It's still at dad's and I'll be picking it up this weekend along with his ODBII reader, since it's apparent that I'll need that at some point.

Oh, since pops owns the car and I’m only working on it, he’s paying for all the parts that are needed for repairs. Good for me, since I’m trying to save money. I’ll be getting paid to do all of this nonsense, also.

This sounds like a better project that could actually put you in a better spot financially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Nothing more expensive than a project car. If you ONLY do work to fix the oil consumption problem that could make sense, but don't touch anything else.

How much are you getting paid to work on the W8? (comedy answer not enough lol)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Well I made it to payday! All my bills are paid between now and next paycheck and I'm sitting on something around $800 until next paycheck at this very moment. I haven't budgeted for food or anything like that yet, but I've severely reined in my booze spending (tea is a fun alternative, and much cheaper) and haven't spent a dime on restaurant food in 3 weeks. Feels good!

Bibendum posted:

I probably shouldn't mix your threads, and I don't know if this is your only car

Snipped for size:

But, hold off on any of this that you can, set an allowance and consider it a hobby.

This sounds like a better project that could actually put you in a better spot financially.

This is pretty much exactly the plan for these. I'm not putting any of MY money into the Passat besides the price of insurance each month and the title transfer fee, and the Golf is just getting the oil problem fixed for the foreseeable future cuz :homebrew:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Nothing more expensive than a project car. If you ONLY do work to fix the oil consumption problem that could make sense, but don't touch anything else.

How much are you getting paid to work on the W8? (comedy answer not enough lol)
Yup, that's the plan. I finally took a look at the procedure for fixing the oil consumption and it looks straight forward enough that I'll be able to get it taken care of in a weekend even without any experience with it. I'm getting paid like $300 or so to get the car fixed, more if I'm able to sell it for a lot.

SpclKen
Mar 13, 2006
New Goon... go easy

Hey, just a little advice, food, resteraunts, booze etc. Can get away from you fast especially when you start having a little buffer. That voice that keeps telling you to not grab a sandwich gets quieter when you have a little emergency fund sitting in the bank or you finally get a month ahead on your bills. I would recommend you and you SO meal planning and shopping off a cash budget. Works so much better than bulk buying whatever you think you may need and has an added benifit of cutting down on compulsive and non-essential foods and eating healthier if you are into that.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nice! Good job, man.

Make a budget for the $800 and post it here to hold yourself accountable. Trust me, it'll help not to just blow it when it's for ambiguous things.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
So you and the gf split the mortgage, is there a reason you don't split the tv or internet bill? I know it's not a ton of money, but over the course of a year it'll add up to almost a grand.

That being said, there's already a ton of progress in this thread. Keep it up!

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Obviously do not even consider this if you are not ready for merging finances with your girlfriend even a little bit BUT

I wasn't super great with money when I met my husband. When we bought a house together we set up a joint checking account and each put a set amount of money into it. I calculated how much money we needed for stuff like mortgage, cell phones, heating, water, etc. anything joint. We make about the same amount so we split that monthly amount into 4 and each put in that amount plus about $100 every paycheck. The money in this account goes to bills. It doesn't go to eating out or buying poo poo for the house or anything. Just bills. We have a checkbook for it but no debit/check card. The rest of our money we keep separate and do whatever with. But we always have enough for bills plus a good amount of padding that builds up over time that can go to unexpected house stuff if needed.

It also means we both contribute equally to bills (it's adjusted a little bit because he adds more for his car payment and I buy groceries and most other stuff out of my account). But if you split costs it's always the method I recommend.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
The most difficult part about having left over money after bills are paid is not going directly to a burger joint over lunch cuz "lookit all that left over money!" My discipline isn't where it should be, but it's certainly getting better. The $800 "left overs" wound up being closer to $400 cuz I forgot about my car payment and had some other unexpected expenses, but hey, at least it wasn't a scramble to figure out how to shuffle the credit card payments around :v:

I make significantly more money per year than my girlfriend so that's why I kind of shoulder a few more bills. She's a public school art teacher and I'm an IT computer janitor. She also does a majority of the grocery shopping for us.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Keep hanging in there, doing good.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

scuz posted:

The most difficult part about having left over money after bills are paid is not going directly to a burger joint over lunch cuz "lookit all that left over money!" My discipline isn't where it should be, but it's certainly getting better. The $800 "left overs" wound up being closer to $400 cuz I forgot about my car payment and had some other unexpected expenses, but hey, at least it wasn't a scramble to figure out how to shuffle the credit card payments around :v:

What I do to avoid this is I automate everything coming out of my paycheck the day it goes in the bank.

I use Capital One 360 (formerly ING), they let you have unlimited sub accounts for savings, so I have a different savings account for different bills/savings goals. Car payment, mortgage, emergency fund, home maintenance, car maintenance, etc. Every other Friday half of my mortgage payment goes straight from my checking account into my mortgage account. Same with all my other bills. Budgeting becomes pretty easy when all your bills are automated, anything left over in my checking account really is money I can spend on whatever I want.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

scuz posted:

Don't be a fatass unhealthy American, that is why you aren't going to the burger joint! Cook your meals and profit financially and physically.

Good work getting back into the monthly black. Keep it up.

Jose Valasquez posted:

What I do to avoid this is I automate everything coming out of my paycheck the day it goes in the bank.

I use Capital One 360 (formerly ING), they let you have unlimited sub accounts for savings, so I have a different savings account for different bills/savings goals. Car payment, mortgage, emergency fund, home maintenance, car maintenance, etc. Every other Friday half of my mortgage payment goes straight from my checking account into my mortgage account. Same with all my other bills. Budgeting becomes pretty easy when all your bills are automated, anything left over in my checking account really is money I can spend on whatever I want.
I do this too, but a single bill checking account. X from each paycheck is direct deposited into there based on annual average bills divided by pay periods, with a bit of a buffer sitting in the account just in case (1mo of bills). Makes it super simple. Checking account is for gas/grocery/blow.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

scuz posted:

The $800 "left overs" wound up being closer to $400 cuz I forgot about my car payment and had some other unexpected expenses, but hey, at least it wasn't a scramble to figure out how to shuffle the credit card payments around :v:

This is the most important part of having money "left over" there are bills and things to pay that you need the money for, just like what happened. You will always feel better when you have money there to actually pay for bills/rent/etc. It's the start of digging yourself out.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Most of my meals are home-cooked because I enjoy tinkering in the kitchen, so no worries there. :)

In other news, I might be selling my drum set for cash money. It isn't being used at the moment and was purchased mostly on credit anyway so it may as well go back to helping the cause. If I had $1,200 cash, what would you all recommend I do with it? I'm thinking of putting all/most of it towards my highest-interest, highest-balance credit card, just wanted to make sure that was a good idea first :ohdear:

edit: while i'm here, what're y'all's thoughts on automatic deductions from bank accounts? Is it better to take care of them manually or is it personal preference?

scuz fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 4, 2016

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

scuz posted:

In other news, I might be selling my drum set for cash money. It isn't being used at the moment and was purchased mostly on credit anyway so it may as well go back to helping the cause. If I had $1,200 cash, what would you all recommend I do with it? I'm thinking of putting all/most of it towards my highest-interest, highest-balance credit card, just wanted to make sure that was a good idea first :ohdear:

Put it all towards the high interest card. It will save you a lot in interest and significantly reduce the time to pay off all your debts.

Automatic deductions are a good way to reinforce spending discipline.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You've had a cash flow problem so I might throw a few hundred of it in an efund with the rest going to your high interest credit cards.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Devian666 posted:

Put it all towards the high interest card. It will save you a lot in interest and significantly reduce the time to pay off all your debts.

Automatic deductions are a good way to reinforce spending discipline.

10-4, I'll stop treating them like surprise expenses just cuz I forget about them. :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You've had a cash flow problem so I might throw a few hundred of it in an efund with the rest going to your high interest credit cards.
Ooo, good idea. I'll save like $200 and throw a grand at my high interest US Bank card.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Any other things sitting around that would be worthwhile to sell, while you're thinking about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

SpelledBackwards posted:

Any other things sitting around that would be worthwhile to sell, while you're thinking about it?
This was kind of the Last Substantial Thing, and I'd had cold feet about it for a while. Slept on it and have decided to sell the set to my band buddy who will take care of it and use it and it makes the sale much easier knowing it's going to a friend.

• Locked thread