Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

lol hell yeah that dude owns

I like that a guy made famous by slamming the poo poo out of the prequels is legit delighted and excited by TFA. I think that really sums it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
http://douthat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/12/21/star-wars-and-decadence/?_r=0

and

http://freebeacon.com/blog/rey-from-star-wars-is-basically-just-john-cena/

The Slithery D fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 21, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Couldn't wait another five days to go see it with the fam so I snuck off to see it this morning. Surprised by how packed the theater was at 9am.

I loved it. Movie hit all the right notes.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I hope Abrams gives John Cena a cameo in 8 just as a "gently caress you and your internet pithy poo poo" response

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

10 am showing drat near sold out. Good flick.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Booblord Zagats posted:

I hope Abrams gives John Cena a cameo in 8 just as a "gently caress you and your internet pithy poo poo" response

It's almost like you don't know much about Star Wars, like who the director of episode 8 is.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Did anyone else notice how husky Leia's voice was? She sounded pretty rough, I've always heard she partied down with her original trilogy money but jeez.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

The Slithery D posted:

It's almost like you don't know much about Star Wars, like who the director of episode 8 is.

Executive producers give cameos just as often, dude. But I have been on a losing streak :(

Arrath posted:

Did anyone else notice how husky Leia's voice was? She sounded pretty rough, I've always heard she partied down with her original trilogy money but jeez.

Carrie Fisher is fuckin crazy now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsERzZt9dro

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 21, 2015

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Booblord Zagats posted:

But I have been on a losing streak :(
:hfive:

I joined, too. :(

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Arrath posted:

That poo poo bothered me to no end like she was speaking through her denture teeth

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I was glad Leia was very sparse in the movie but making her the geriatric general of the resistance was just stupid. Give her a scene with Han and then get rid of her because she was painful to watch.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh, new rule, no one may undergo Force/Jedi training until they pass the teen angst phase, goddamn.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So does this make Simon Pegg the first person to be in both Star Trek and Star Wars?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

I like that a guy made famous by slamming the poo poo out of the prequels is legit delighted and excited by TFA. I think that really sums it up

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Seeing this in the theater for the first showing was a ton of fun if only for the audience reactions to some of the reveals.

Namely,

-The Falcon
-Anakin's lightsaber
-Hearing Snoke confirm Kylo's dad is Han.
-And Rey force pulling Anakin's lightsaber.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The thumbs up was the biggest reaction from me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Another little thing I liked: the bad guy's name is Kylo Ren, not Darth Ren or Darth Kylo. As dumb as the name is, the big bad guy's name is just Snoke, not Darth Snoke. One little thing I hated about the prequels and the EU was that Darth became a title rather than just part of Darth Vader's name. The fact that the bad guy, despite being a massive Vader fanboy, doesn't call himself Darth, tells me that that's not a thing for this.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Helpful political synopsis provided by a toy instead of the movie. Does clear some poo poo up atleast

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Booblord Zagats posted:

Helpful political synopsis provided by a toy instead of the movie. Does clear some poo poo up atleast

Legit tempted to buy that book and the cross-sections book because

A) I'm a big dumb nerd, and B) I have Amazon fun money to blow on stuff.

Already spent most of it on PC upgrades and games, so mine as well.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's basically what I pieced together in my head. It makes sense. Civil wars don't usually have nice, clean endings.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Fister Roboto posted:

That's basically what I pieced together in my head. It makes sense. Civil wars don't usually have nice, clean endings.

Reconstruction in the Naboo system failed completely

Gungan reparations please

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Well the Republic sure hosed up that Cold War. They must not have touched the First Order's finances since they were able to budget for that mega Planet Killer, somehow. Compared to two dozen X-Wings things got a little lopsided.

And planet killers are apparently so common now that no one bats an eye at what must have been billions of deaths?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Handsome Ralph posted:

Legit tempted to buy that book and the cross-sections book because

A) I'm a big dumb nerd, and B) I have Amazon fun money to blow on stuff.

Already spent most of it on PC upgrades and games, so mine as well.

I just bought them off Amazon, $12 a pop

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

USMC503 posted:

Yeah I had Solo spoiled for me.

IDK, I felt disappointed by the movie. Maybe I had it too hyped up in my head, but I felt like it was missing a lot or something. I definitely felt like the entire movie was to set up the next one. None of the other episodes left us on a cliffhanger, granted that in of itself wasn't awful.

I found Poe and Finn's dialogue painfully cheesy too idk. Also ditto'ing the gripes about Rey learning skills too fast. Luke was very accomplished too and yet it took him a whole episode to be able to force pull a lightsaber to him and even then could barely do it.

It's also unfortunate that really Han HAD to be the one to die. He's the best actor in the movie by far and well RIP.

I figured Han was a dead man as soon as it was announced that he was in the movie.

You can probably chalk it up to Rey utilizing emotion much more than Luke. I'm probably going to have to see it again but I think they mentioned something about Luke being at the first Jedi temple, which predates both the Jedi and the Sith? So maybe they're trying to incorporate some of the Revan mythos in.

Bolow fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 21, 2015

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_FoEy8T_A

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

this is cannon

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fister Roboto posted:

So does this make Simon Pegg the first person to be in both Star Trek and Star Wars?

I thought so, but google says no. If you include the cartoons like Rebels and Clone Wars, there are several Star Trek alums (George Takei, Brent Spiner, Ron Perlman, etc) that did voice work. There are also a couple of Star Trek aliens who were in the Star Wars movies as background characters or aliens, like Felix Silla who was an Ewok and a Talosian in The Cage.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Good because those moves are fuckin sweet. Showed it to my girl and now she wants to get a Kinect

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

MRW I thought they blew up Coruscant:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

MRW I thought they blew up Coruscant:

That's one way to burst a housing market bubble.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Also still one of the funniest lines about the prequels ever:
"Anyway so Anakin kneels before monster mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash."

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mace Windu was dead in a flash.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Grumpy old man Han Solo was the best part of this movie.

"TWELVE!"

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Professor Bling posted:

Grumpy old man Han Solo was the best part of this movie.

"TWELVE!"

The force doesn't work like that!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If anyone was wondering about Porkins 2.0:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Also still one of the funniest lines about the prequels ever:
"Anyway so Anakin kneels before monster mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash."

I read this in his voice unintentionally :)

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Booblord Zagats posted:

The force doesn't work like that!

Leia's "and don't say 'the Death Star'" when Han busted out the "just trying to help" line was fantastic.

Does anyone else have an incredible curiosity as to why Luke's fake hand no longer has any skin on it? Because I would really, really like to know why

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

If anyone was wondering about Porkins 2.0:

Best part of Snacks Wesley is that the empire only found the rebel base by tracking his scouting flight.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

also re: dance vid, points for Lobot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Professor Bling posted:

Does anyone else have an incredible curiosity as to why Luke's fake hand no longer has any skin on it? Because I would really, really like to know why

He exiled himself to Ireland apparently for a while and prob. doesn't have very good access to healthcare

• Locked thread