Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Minimalist Program posted:

How are you not Jon Pop this is a serious question. Are you Don Pop, his brother? Or his dad, pop-Pop?

Somehow I doubt john pops father is in the picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
Übers aren't listened by the state department so I think I'll pass. I only take taxi service that the government has approved.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In the bay area Uber is just a depressed asian guy driving a prius.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
I was going to say "good job" to the OP for getting a second job, but then he had to go and start in about "shy Asian girls".
Keep trying, OP.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
Man, nearly everyone I drive seems to a young professional making it good in the DC - NOVA area. Drove two gay guys today who were super gay and all about that gay lifestyle. I'm not too familiar with DC and I kept making mistakes and one time (I KID YOU NOT) I started driving the WRONG WAY in one of the roads and I apologized to these guys and one of them was like "It's okay, don't fret."

He then said he wouldn't give me a bad rating at the end of the ride. How nice of him.

gently caress DC though.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I was wondering how someone could be so useless at everything they have to resort to driving strangers around for pennies but you just answered my questions.
and you can't even do that right

like your one job is to drive from point A to point B, and there's even like a zillion apps, some even built right into your phone that will give you the exact step by step instructions how to do that one thing. You don't need to think you just need to move more important people from place to place. Good work

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

The Fattest PI posted:

I was wondering how someone could be so useless at everything they have to resort to driving strangers around for pennies but you just answered my questions.
and you can't even do that right

like your one job is to drive from point A to point B, and there's even like a zillion apps, some even built right into your phone that will give you the exact step by step instructions how to do that one thing. You don't need to think you just need to move more important people from place to place. Good work

Some places are hard to navigate, but thank you for sharing your contempt for the working classes

tomatoes and shit
Sep 17, 2015

op i would love to puke in your car. can you come to nw dc?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Minimalist Program posted:

How are you not Jon Pop this is a serious question. Are you Don Pop, his brother? Or his dad, pop-Pop?
dude's red pill as hell

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if you're an uber driver that makes you a filthy cabbie

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Uber more like Puber. as in some unkempt hipster wearing suspenders, the top half of some long johns, corduroy pants, and big clodhoppers will ride in your ride with his fly down and his open-front teddy bear boxers visible (SUCH CHARACTER WITTY LOL), and his big crotch afro will shed pubes all over your backseat. and you will vacuum and vacuum, but it will be no use. always gonna be pubes in the back of the car.

and let's not even talk about queefing hipsters, the sharters, and Googly McPederast who will try to have you swing by a park and park there for a half hour while he makes some recordings. $500, OP, five hundred loving dollars he will offer you, and you will take it, because ur an Uber and Ubers lack shame and souls and general humanity. dead meat, OP, dead meat for driving made-up corpses around.

you think about that, OP, you think about being dead meat behind that wheel. someone hits you, dead meat on the road, officer says to the other driver "hey, that's a littering fine".

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

starry skies above posted:

I love the wisdom of the SA forums. Sincerely, why is it stupid I'm driving for Uber?

Because after taxes, car deprecation, and gas you are making like $9-10/hour, sometimes even less than minimum wage. You have to bring, risk and depreciate a $15K+ asset, aren't actually insured for any damages that may occur on the job (potentially life-ruining damages), no benefits, and no career advancement.
You can literally make more money pushing carts at Walmart.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
wait, uber xl is real ???

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress the ROW posted:

wait, uber xl is real ???

do you even have to ask?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I want to push OP down a flight of stairs and bully the poo poo out of him

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

OP do you not even feel the slightest bit of guilt that anyone injured in your car will basically get jack poo poo in terms of compensation because you're a lowlife without the proper insurance?

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's

haljordan posted:

OP do you not even feel the slightest bit of guilt that anyone injured in your car will basically get jack poo poo in terms of compensation because you're a lowlife without the proper insurance?

has anyone sued uber itself yet

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Fishy Joe posted:

I'm sure their entire business plan centers around not being held responsible for any reason when one of their dipshit employees fucks up

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

haljordan posted:

OP do you not even feel the slightest bit of guilt that anyone injured in your car will basically get jack poo poo in terms of compensation

is this true?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Have any of your passengers ever said the "n" word?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nooner posted:

Have any of your passengers ever said the "n" word?

emma watson, in the back of an uber, with 10 inches of bbc

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Moridin920 posted:

emma watson, in the back of an uber, with 10 inches of bbc

Lmao I am imaging this right now!!!

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

haljordan posted:

uber does have secondary insurance that covers drivers while they are working but they require you to go through your insurance company first which basically guarantees that they will drop you

Fishy Joe posted:

http://uberlawsuit.com/

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

is this true?

Insurers won't pay out to drivers who use a personal policy during business use. That leaves the injured left suing the broke-rear end uber driver who will probably never be able to afford driving again.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

The court has now ruled that Uber’s arbitration clause is unenforceable, and thus it cannot be used to keep drivers out of this case.

lol good. arbitration clauses are such backhanded 'try to skirt the legal system' bullshit things

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

On the first night (after my evening job) I drove one person, and earned like $12.

On the second night I did five rides and earned $66.

Tonight I did six and earned $75. So so far I have $155 coming to me. Let's say minus 20 for gas and 20 for car depreciation and that's $105 for about 8 hours worked, something like $14.325 per hour average...so far. I'm still new at this but so far this is merely good for supplemental income.

This is where most Uber drivers gently caress up. You cant just say "minus 20 for gas and 20 for car depreciation" , you need exact numbers. Ever notice how taxis are always new? Livery vehicles fully depreciate after ~3 to 5 years. You also need to take into account that you have to have to pay tax on this incone as an independent contractor.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

On the first night (after my evening job) I drove one person, and earned like $12.

On the second night I did five rides and earned $66.

Tonight I did six and earned $75. So so far I have $155 coming to me. Let's say minus 20 for gas and 20 for car depreciation and that's $105 for about 8 hours worked, something like $14.325 per hour average...so far. I'm still new at this but so far this is merely good for supplemental income.

yeah now subtract income tax + FICA. also don't say 'the IRS won't worry about it.'

SS is ~12%, Medicare is 2.9%, so that means your FICA tax alone is sitting at around 15% before you even take out the income tax and state taxes. Out of the $155 coming to you, you owe at least $30 (probably a little more) to the government.

Subtract your (probably lowballed) car depreciation and gas in there and you're basically making around $10/hr which is barely above minimum wage in CA. Barely above minimum wage and you're doing a dangerous activity like driving for 8 hours a day, with a questionable amount of insurance coverage.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 21, 2015

NObodiesGeek
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not shy, I just hate you.
If you want to be a little safer while ubering just offer the driver a little less than what the app thinks it'll cost for your ride and don't use the uber app. At least that way if there is an accident then your riding as passengers and you'll be covered under some sort of insurance.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moridin920 posted:

yeah now subtract income tax + FICA. also don't say 'the IRS won't worry about it.'

SS is ~12%, Medicare is 2.9%, so that means your FICA tax alone is sitting at around 15% before you even take out the income tax and state taxes. Out of the $155 coming to you, you owe at least $30 (probably a little more) to the government.

Subtract your (probably lowballed) car depreciation and gas in there and you're basically making around $10/hr which is barely above minimum wage in CA. Barely above minimum wage and you're doing a dangerous activity like driving for 8 hours a day, with a questionable amount of insurance coverage.

But he's not working for the man, man.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

NObodiesGeek posted:

If you want to be a little safer while ubering just offer the driver a little less than what the app thinks it'll cost for your ride and don't use the uber app. At least that way if there is an accident then your riding as passengers and you'll be covered under some sort of insurance.

Lmao if you think this would actually work

NObodiesGeek
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not shy, I just hate you.
What part wouldn't work and why?

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
I have a primary job. All I am doing is driving a few hours everyday after work at nighttime.

Thank you guys for the perspective, though. You really made me feel lovely about my second job which I was mildly enjoying.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Because no passenger is going to do anything like that for a random Uber driver. Also if there's a serious injury lawyers will get involved immediately and good luck running that scam

And how are you just not going to use the Uber app? It starts to register the trip before you even pick up the person

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NObodiesGeek posted:

What part wouldn't work and why?

The driver wouldn't do it. For one thing, because the estimated amount varies greatly depending on time taken and traffic. So if the app estimates $15 based on light/medium traffic but an accident happens or whatever and actually there is medium/heavy traffic the dude gets hosed out of another $5-10 depending on how long it takes.

For another because if Uber caught you, then that'd probably result in immediately losing your Uber job. Also the driver would lose out on ratings so it is extra incentive to not make it a regular thing if they are willing to do it sometimes.

Plus he also relies on you actually paying him at the end instead of just going 'lol thanks for the ride sucker!' and hopping out which strikes me as way easier to get away with than if you were in a real taxi.

Then from the passenger's perspective it looks hella shady if a driver asks you to do that.

I have a primary job. All I am doing is driving a few hours everyday after work at nighttime.

Thank you guys for the perspective, though. You really made me feel lovely about my second job which I was mildly enjoying.

Look if you enjoy it and it's some extra cash you shouldn't feel lovely (unless of course if your passenger gets injured and they really do just get hosed out of insurance compensation in which case yeah that's p shady on Uber's part but the linked lawsuit was a class action by drivers against Uber regarding tip compensation).

Just don't quit your day job you know?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 21, 2015

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

NObodiesGeek posted:

So insurance fraud is the "safe" option?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's time to implement a national insurance for anyone working in the gig economy. It will be reinforced by all transactions being tied to a real-name profile and GPS logged. Don't misbehave, don't commit fraud - you will be found out and punished.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 21, 2015

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So how do they close the deal on uber? Gotta be consent he got u there, and didn't overcharge/drive around the block 4 times.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Darth123123 posted:

So insurance fraud is the "safe" option?

Live a little!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

McDowell posted:

It's time to implement a national insurance for anyone working in the gig economy. It will be reinforced by all transactions being tied to a real-name profile and GPS logged. Don't misbehave, don't commit fraud - you will be found out and punished.

We need a block chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Darth123123 posted:

So how do they close the deal on uber? Gotta be consent he got u there, and didn't overcharge/drive around the block 4 times.

I've ridden Uber once and that one time, I got overcharged!

Took the Uber, midway there the driver's phone died and he didn't have his charger. Lame but whatever, easy directions. Get there, he drops me off, everything is fine. Uber emails you a receipt when the ride is completed.

I get the receipt 15 minutes later. The driver got his phone on somehow and completed the fare. The problem is that the fare was completed 15 minutes AFTER I was already dropped off and in my apartment, and I got charged however much extra for those 15 minutes. It was only a couple bucks - not worth calling to complain or anything - but it kinda left a sour taste in my mouth. I'm pretty sure it was just an honest gently caress up but imo that leaves the door open for scams where the driver just does that every time.

So, no, the only time the passenger does anything is when you accept the ride. At that point you can cancel, but you get charged a cancellation fee. Otherwise you have to rely on the driver to accurately close out the fares I guess.

• Locked thread