Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Virginia School District Shuts Down After Backlash Over Islamic Assignment

quote:

(CNSNews.com) -- After defending a Virginia teacher who made her students copy the Muslim statement of faith known as the shahada as part of a calligraphy assignment, Augusta County Schools shut down the entire school system Friday when a backlash erupted on social media.

“While there has been no specific threat of harm to students, schools and school offices will be closed Friday, December 18, 2015,” Augusta County Public Schools said in a statement Thursday, noting the “voluminous phone calls and electronic mail” it had received “locally and from outside the area.”

The controversy ignited after parents learned that World Geography teacher Cheryl LaPorte had required her ninth-grade students at Riverheads High School in Staunton to copy the shahada, one of the Five Pillars of Islam, as part of an assignment on world religions.

Reciting the shahada is the first step in converting to Islam.

The passage translated from Arabic states: “There is no god but Allah and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.”

LaPorte also invited her female students to try on headscarves, the Shilling Show first reported.

“Neither these lessons, nor any other lesson in the world geography course, are an attempt at indoctrination to Islam or any other religion, or a request for students to renounce their own faith or profess any belief,” Superintendent Eric Bond said in a statement.

“They were simply asked to attempt to artistically render written Arabic in order to understand its artistic complexity,” he said, adding that the assignment was consistent with the state’s Standards of Learning and that the scarf female students were invited to try on “was not an actual Islamic religious hijab.”

But Bond’s reassurances did not assuage the 100 parents and community members who attended a forum at the Good News Ministries Church near the school to protest the assignment and point out that a public school teacher who required students to copy passages from the Bible would be fired, the Staunton News Leader reported.

“These children were deceived when they were told it was calligraphy. This is not calligraphy, this is a language,” said Kimberly Herndon, a parent of six who posted a protest on Facebook December 12 after her son brought home the assignment.

Kimberly Herndon, who protested her son's assignment to copy the Muslim shahada by an Augusta County, VA geography teacher. (Facebook)
Herndon also said on Facebook that the teacher “has passed that Koran around that room every single day since the beginning. That is wrong. Where is the bible? Can I take a bible and place it in every single class room tomorrow?”

Herndon said she and another parent met with school officials who “were forthright in admitting that the teacher made a mistake in assigning the children to copy the shahada…also it was admitted that asking the students to put on the head dressing of the Islamic woman was a bad choice in that there was no representation of any other apparel of any other culture or religion.”

The school system later said it had removed the shahada from the curriculum. “Although students will continue to learn about world religions as required by the state Board of Education and the Commonwealth’s Standards of Learning, a different, non-religious sample of Arabic calligraphy will be used in the future," it said in a statement.
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/barbara-hollingsworth/virginia-school-district-shuts-down-after-backlash-over-islamic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
This is the assignment in question:

What do you all think? I think this is some hosed up poo poo, personally

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
White people; boy, I don't know...

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
It was a worksheet from a workbook not designed by the teacher, so. v:)v

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Islamic State is already in America we have to do somethign about the brown menance

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Seriously, that's some D+ calligraphic effort at best. That's what you get for dropping cursive from the curriculum.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I would've passed with an A

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Shahadan't done that.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

quote:

“These children were deceived when they were told it was calligraphy. This is not calligraphy, this is a language,” said Kimberly Herndon

What the gently caress does this mean? I don't think you know what calligraphy is, lady.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Crimson posted:

What the gently caress does this mean? I don't think you know what calligraphy is, lady.

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the gently caress out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re loving dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the continent, you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re loving dead, kiddo.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Xenophanes posted:

Seriously, that's some D+ calligraphic effort at best. That's what you get for dropping cursive from the curriculum.

U think you can do better than this? Feh!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
they closed the county friday for prayers, since they are all literally muslims now. sheeple open your butts

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Seems like fake gay bullshit trumped by a media which is making a goddamn fortune off of white people who are making GBS threads their pants over Muslims

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Ban Islam and guarantee American superiority for the next century

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Once in school I had to draw what I imagined God looked like

AMA about being forcibly indoctrinated by a cult

czarmonger
Aug 16, 2008

ask me about my brothel
I wish that when people get in a tiffy like this, we as a society could have a global catch phrase that we tell them, signifying that they are overreacting and need to chill the gently caress out. It would be a household phrase, like "xyz", so people know what it means and couldn't argue.

I think "shut the gently caress up, you loving baby" would suffice.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

Ban Islam and guarantee American superiority for the next century

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

U think you can do better than this? Feh!

Whole lot of penis in that shahada

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

czarmonger posted:

I wish that when people get in a tiffy like this, we as a society could have a global catch phrase that we tell them, signifying that they are overreacting and need to chill the gently caress out. It would be a household phrase, like "xyz", so people know what it means and couldn't argue.

I think "shut the gently caress up, you loving baby" would suffice.

do you think it would be over reacting if instead of forcing the kids to convert to islam the school forced them to convert to Christianity?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Asking people to write down an oath of religious belief is pretty dubious, even if the reactions to it here are overblown.

Like, I'd look askance at students being assigned to copy down the nicene creed.

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

this place is good and not bad

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Nooner posted:

do you think it would be over reacting if instead of forcing the kids to convert to islam the school forced them to convert to Christianity?
that wouldn't count because it's the right thing to do.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

That's crazy, next thing you know they'll have students reciting a "pledge of allegiance" to a nation under god or something.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Universe Master posted:

That's crazy, next thing you know they'll have students reciting a "pledge of allegiance" to a nation under god or something.
The genericity of the religious content of the pledge has been seen as a justification under the 1st amendment; it's rather nondenominational, certainly compatible with at least any monotheistic faith. A specific religious attestation is a somewhat different animal.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Universe Master posted:

The pledge of allegiance is super weird too. I stopped doing that poo poo in middle school.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

It is a very heavily embellished script of this:

I think it's kinda ironically funny that it looks like it has the English spelling of the word "Jew" in it in cursive. (It also has the word "isis" in it, again in cursive.)

Maldoror fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 19, 2015

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
Your stealth Photoshop thread has potentil, op.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Allah forbid you get a different perspective on the world than you own narrow one.

These are the same types of parents that came unhinged over the rampant satan worship that plagued teenagers in the 80's and 90's.
And by rampant of course I mean nonexistent.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Superintendent: OK teachers, I've had a number of you request Friday off but I can't give it to you.
Teacher: How about if we manufacture a fake emergency? Something to to with Islamoterrorism, maybe?
Superintendent: Sounds good. I'll leave the details to you. Everyone take Friday off!
Teachers: yay

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I agree that the parents who are freaking about this need to pull their heads out of their asses, but really looking at the teacher wtf did she think was going to happen? Have the kids try to copy down some script that says "I am a Christian" or "lollygagger" or "Hail Satan" or literally anything other than part of the conversion phrases. Unless she and the school board was somehow angling for a controversy to get their backwater little er, backwater some attention in which case mission loving accomplished you all look horrible.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

mind the walrus posted:

I agree that the parents who are freaking about this need to pull their heads out of their asses, but really looking at the teacher wtf did she think was going to happen? Have the kids try to copy down some script that says "I am a Christian" or "lollygagger" or "Hail Satan" or literally anything other than part of the conversion phrases. Unless she and the school board was somehow angling for a controversy to get their backwater little er, backwater some attention in which case mission loving accomplished you all look horrible.

yeah but Christians never did a 9/11 or Paris shooting

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
What lesson does literally copying script even achieve? Like if the question was: "What are the five pillars of Islam?" Then maybe "There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is his prophet" would make sense. But this is just pointless busywork.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

These Christian weidos are loving stupid. Who the hell gets up in arms about some marks on a piece of paper anyway? Next thing they'll riot when their kids are made to draw Mohammed or something

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

rakovsky maybe posted:

What lesson does literally copying script even achieve? Like if the question was: "What are the five pillars of Islam?" Then maybe "There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is his prophet" would make sense. But this is just pointless busywork.

..it's a calligraphy class.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

SlipUp posted:

It does bring up another question though, which is why the calligraphy class hasn't been canceled yet to make room for math and english.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

It does bring up another question though, which is why the calligraphy class hasn't been canceled yet to make room for math and english.

Arabic Numerals will be the next target

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Strudel Man posted:

Because pretty handwriting is essential in this digital age

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Nooner posted:

Because pretty handwriting is essential in this digital age
Cursive is actually the only way that humans will be able to communicate with one another without the machines intercepting and reading it, so it's pretty important.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

SlipUp posted:

Augusta County certainly doesn't have any calligraphy classes, poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I went to school when they could still do corporal punishment for not saying the pledge of allegiance so. :shrug: why don't they just practice with a non religious statement though? I think it's provocative at worst, not on the Muslim issue but the religion in schools issue. I wonder if the people getting pissed off would still be pissed off if it was then Lord's Prayer or some poo poo.

• Locked thread