Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I like how "am I my brother's keeper?" became a thing conservative christians said for a while to justify poo poo like not caring about poor people when that's what cain said to god when god came around asking where the brother cain had murdered was, and the answer god gave to him was "yes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
copying calligraphy and pretending you understand its meaning is what orientalist studies are all about

keep being western, west

western education is forbidden, yo

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

AbbadonOfHell posted:

Up until the 70's I think it was I think? I always heard it was more a "Curse of Cain" thing and the curse was you're black. I'm too lazy to google it at the moment though but it's something along those lines.

What you are describing I remember hearing about Mormonism.

Black people being described as "descendants of angels that hosed around with humans and were cast out of heaven" (ie Nephilim) in any religion is new to me and I'd love to read about how Joseph Smith or anyone else came to that conclusion.

Generally in the Roman Catholic myths (and general Western occultism iirc) Nephilim were described as sterile or dead if I am recalling correctly.

Iirc I think Islam described "Nephilim-type" offspring of angels too but I could be loving that up with the Islamic counterpart to Roman Catholic "Giants" (ie Gog and Magog as giants rather than populations in some interpretations) in the Old Testament.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 20, 2015

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
More proof Obama is a terrorist lover. He hasn't hellfired an obvious terrorist camp in our own backyard!

We need Trump now.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Nice language. Looks like carrot peelings.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

gary oldmans diary posted:

it is also part of calligraphy for the female students to "try on" headscarves?

hey kids "try on" these c4 vests, later today we're taking a field trip to the pentagon

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Nooner posted:

rear end to mouth technology, lol

can't wait for the ipo

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Halloween Jack posted:

As someone who grew up in a Lutheran church in Augusta county, the Nicene Creed is incredibly long and boring.
Yeah, that's another reason

proof of concept posted:

I like how "am I my brother's keeper?" became a thing conservative christians said for a while to justify poo poo like not caring about poor people
??? I've seen people stretch theology to dismiss the idea of "my brother's keeper" being meaningful, but I can't say I've ever seen it used straight in the manner you describe.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 20, 2015

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Strudel Man posted:

??? I've seen people stretch theology to dismiss the idea of "my brother's keeper" being meaningful, but I can't say I've ever seen it used straight in the manner you describe.

I found this Forbes opinion piece where a man says that nobody is their brother's keeper because it is God's job and God alone to watch over others and suggests that if we WERE keepers of our brothers, our brothers would be our sheep and we would have every right to slaughter them. I am barely embellishing when I tell you that this man is essentially saying "the Torah says Cain was right", at least in relation to this particular idea of social responsibility.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jerrybowyer/2012/02/08/dear-president-obama-im-only-my-brothers-keeper-if-my-brother-is-my-sheep/

This website comes to a similar conclusion, but doesn't stretch it into the "really Cain had the right to kill Abel if he was supposed to be his keeper"

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2010/10/the_real_meaning_of_my_brother.html

It hopefully doesn't come as a surprise that this resurgent interest in the phrase is because Obama used it to say that Americans should show some compassion for each other.

TheRecogScene fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 20, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

I found this Forbes opinion piece where a man says that nobody is their brother's keeper because it is God's job and God alone to watch over others and suggests that if we WERE keepers of our brothers, our brothers would be our sheep and we would have every right to slaughter them. I am barely embellishing when I tell you that this man is essentially saying "the Torah says Cain was right", at least in relation to this particular idea of social responsibility.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jerrybowyer/2012/02/08/dear-president-obama-im-only-my-brothers-keeper-if-my-brother-is-my-sheep/

This website comes to a similar conclusion, but doesn't stretch it into the "really Cain had the right to kill Abel if he was supposed to be his keeper"

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2010/10/the_real_meaning_of_my_brother.html

It hopefully doesn't come as a surprise that this resurgent interest in the phrase is because Obama used it to say that Americans should show some compassion for each other.
These are exactly what I said, though, attempts to stretch theology to dismiss the significance of the "brother's keeper" remarks. They're not actually using the phrase itself to say "no, I am not supposed to look after my brother."

Basically, I would like to see an example of a christian saying "Am I my brother's keeper?" to dismiss concerns about the poor, as he suggested, because I don't think I ever have, and that would certainly be something. These links are just dismissing other people's use of the phrase.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 20, 2015

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

you don't know enough crazy shitheads I guess, which is a good thing. I haven't run into it in a while but when I did I was always like, what?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

proof of concept posted:

you don't know enough crazy shitheads I guess, which is a good thing. I haven't run into it in a while but when I did I was always like, what?
Yeah. I guess there's not much limit to people's ability to twist their own beliefs.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
omg, my class was studying the french revolution and after I wrote down the magic phrase "liberte fraternite egalite" I transformed immediately into a jacobin revolutionary and formed an alliance with the sans-culottes. please send help, i've already committed regicide once and i'm scared it might happen again. :ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Blurred posted:

omg, my class was studying the french revolution and after I wrote down the magic phrase "liberte fraternite egalite" I transformed immediately into a jacobin revolutionary and formed an alliance with the sans-culottes. please send help, i've already committed regicide once and i'm scared it might happen again. :ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

Since the people who believe this stuff also tend to love Trump, do you think they think their kids need to be kicked out of the country now? Since the people who believe this stuff also tend to support "under God" in the pledge of allegiance (and the pledge conceptually), they think that they're converting atheists who go with the motions? I have so many questions about the weird logic with this one. That teacher could be a literal ISIS recruiter and she would have nothing to gain from the controversial element of this assignment. I keep coming back to this thread in the hopes that somebody will have figured out why any of this matters.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Hey Jesus what is the greatest commandment of all?

A: The right to BEAR ARMS!

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

I keep coming back to this thread in the hopes that somebody will have figured out why any of this matters.

In evangelical protestantism, you can convert to the faith just by reciting a pledge. So long as you say "I accept Jesus into my heart, etc., etc." (and you really mean it, of course) then you are instantly part of the tribe and you get to spend an eternity in heaven. It doesn't require you to do anything else - you don't need to become a good person, or strive to better yourself or your community, or participate in any rituals, or do anything that might even slightly inconvenience you in any way - you're saved purely by virtue of reciting the pledge. It's dumb, lazy theology, but that's what Evangelicals really, actually believe. But when your entire theology is founded on nothing more than lazily reciting a pledge that someone else wrote, you can understand why you might be wary of reciting a pledge written by a different (scary, brown-skinned) tribe. Evangelicals don't see religion as a process, or as a series of deep, communally-focussed commitments, but as a bilateral contractual arrangement between the individual and God that gives one perpetual, trans-dimensional indemnity against being an dickface. Kids reciting the shahada will just confuse God (who in Evangelical theology is a stupid and petty god, and also scared of Muslims for some reason) and this will endanger their chances of getting into heaven. We have to prevent that by getting them to recite our own bullshit creeds first instead and to pretend that the 95% of the global population who aren't Evangelical Christians don't exist. Or, in other words, the only moral dogmatic creedal recitations are my dogmatic creedal recitations.

Blurred fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 20, 2015

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Strategic Tea posted:

Once in school I had to draw what I imagined God looked like

AMA about being forcibly indoctrinated by a cult

Did you draw the ring?

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Guys when I was student teaching first grade we had a SS unit on Native Americans where I ordered NA clothing from the AEA (school supply store, basically), let them wear it, and had them look at NA language examples.

Was I forcibly converting them to becoming native american? I'm so torn ;(

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

limeincoke posted:

Guys when I was student teaching first grade we had a SS unit on Native Americans where I ordered NA clothing from the AEA (school supply store, basically), let them wear it, and had them look at NA language examples.

Was I forceible converting them to becoming native american? I'm so torn ;(

Native Americans are nonthreatening. I cannot say the same about this so called "Religion of Peace".............

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

limeincoke posted:

Was I forcibly converting them to becoming native american? I'm so torn ;(

the children being in an ss unit is more problematic tbh

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

This is the assignment in question:

What do you all think? I think this is some hosed up poo poo, personally

lotta them strokes look like boners imo

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

The fluoridation of water is the most insidious and monstrously conceived muslim plot we have yet had to face!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone who cares is a homo

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darth123123 posted:

I would've passed with an A

i wouldve passed with a explosion

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Nooner posted:

yeah but Christians never did a 9/11 or Paris shooting
they did do the holocaust though which was pretty bad

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

XMNN posted:

they did do the holocaust though which was pretty bad

allegedly

lol j/k

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

XMNN posted:

which was pretty bad

what?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it turns out they weren't really showers :(

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
no im confused what do you think is good about letting jews live?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

xtianity is poo poo OP

so is mohammadianism

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I had a world history teacher after 9/11 teach about Islam as the course was on the Ottomans at that point. We had to learn about the 5 pillars and everything. It felt really informative and wasn't a conversion or anything. Obviously that is where I converted and became an insurgent in'shallah.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I had a world history teacher after 9/11 teach about Islam as the course was on the Ottomans at that point. We had to learn about the 5 pillars and everything. It felt really informative and wasn't a conversion or anything. Obviously that is where I converted and became an insurgent in'shallah.

similar story for me, I think it was a half hearted something or other about five pillars and something something bedouin nomads

that's why you need to homeschool your children it's a Commie Core conspiracy

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Robo Reagan posted:

no im confused what do you think is good about letting jews live?
wow that's really f*cked up man why would you say that

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Strategic Tea posted:

Once in school I had to draw what I imagined God looked like

AMA about being forcibly indoctrinated by a cult

Did you hand in a blank piece of paper

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
lmao

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

As someone who grew up in Augusta county...

Did you escape?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

XMNN posted:

wow that's really f*cked up man why would you say that

it's a good question

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
Attempting to forcibly convert children to Islam by telling them it's calligraphy is just the sort of thing a public school teacher would do though.

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
while draping them in scarves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
I guess the Teacher's Union should be paid more though

:rimshot:

• Locked thread