Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaquin
May 12, 2007
As a gay man seeing LGBTQIA+ used with sincerity and seriousness in one of those articles makes me real loving mad because good god that looks like such a loving joke. The struggle against adversity is about finding common ground and working seriously and maturely against it not being bogged down in the minutia and specificity of labeling and safe space accommodation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I imagine these folks willbe butt hurt like the euro fags who whine that California call it's champagne, champagne when its not from that french backwater. Or how dare you sell black forest ham that isn't actually from the German black forest region.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kurtofan posted:

lol the people complaining in the article aren't even American, what are yall on about.

Here's my foreign food complaints: Spanish pains au chocolat are huge sugar filled abominations compared to proper French pains au chocolat.

it's called a chocolatine your disgusting piece of poo poo oppressor fucboi

can't even breathe omg

#activée

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Nooner posted:

Suck my drat balls

Only in the proper cultural context of course

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Edgar posted:

I imagine these folks willbe butt hurt like the euro fags who whine that California call it's champagne, champagne when its not from that french backwater.
Actually we're 100% fine with you guys selling your garbage sprinkly fracking-water flavored mexican harvested wine, just don't call it "Champagne".

Just like any company wouldn't like it if someone was to start selling counterfeit products under their name.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

WitchFetish posted:

Actually we're 100% fine with you guys selling your garbage sprinkly fracking-water flavored mexican harvested wine, just don't call it "Champagne".

Just like any company wouldn't like it if someone was to start selling counterfeit products under their name.

Champagne isn't actually historically from the champagne region bro

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Oberlin is literally Tumblr: the school. One of my friends that goes there has been socially exiled for being a republican lol (he's a good dude besides his political beliefs)

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

WitchFetish posted:

lmfao how does it feel to not live in the only superpower in the world

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Shaquin posted:

As a gay man seeing LGBTQIA+ used with sincerity and seriousness in one of those articles makes me real loving mad because good god that looks like such a loving joke. The struggle against adversity is about finding common ground and working seriously and maturely against it not being bogged down in the minutia and specificity of labeling and safe space accommodation.

Lol poo poo up no one gay posts on these forums

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Whiskey Sours posted:

A bahn mi served on a ciabatta bun with coleslaw is offensive for reasons having nothing to do with cultural appropriation.

also this

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

WitchFetish posted:

We can call it whatever we like, we bleed for you in ww2 so we can make it our own. Deal with it.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AugmentedVision posted:

lmfao how does it feel to not live in the only superpower in the world

I manage.

but if you want to gay marry me, I wouldn't mind a green card.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

doesn't look that much worse than your average college newspaper tbh

I think he's referring to this story (the first story)

http://oberlinreview.org/9451/news/students-protest-in-wake-of-a-house-petition/

quote:

Rather than Sunday dinner, student diners at Afrikan Heritage House were met with protestors blocking the entrances.

According to members of Oberlin’s Black student union, ABUSUA, as well as other students, the protest was their response to Campus Dining Services’ failure to address their concerns outlined in a petition submitted to the College in late November.

A petition protesting both the quality and selection of food options served at Lord-Saunders Dining Hall began circulating on Wednesday, Nov. 18. Students called for CDS to adhere to more traditional meals, including making fried chicken a permanent feature on the Sunday night menu and providing more vegan and vegetarian options.

“The food quality at Afrikan Heritage House has decreased dramatically,” wrote Kendra Farrakhan, College senior and one of the authors of the petition, in an email to the Review. “Residents and other students have complained in the past through comment cards, etc., but no improvements were made. The protest on Sunday was a response to CDS and Bon Appétit’s dismissive response to our petition. The petition received almost 500 signatures, yet the administrative response shows that they don’t take us seriously.”

The petition also outlines a list of proposed meals, offering authentic food ideas, recommendations on how to properly prepare food and reduce the amount of cream used in dishes because, as stated in the petition, “Black American food doesn’t have much cream in it.”

While food quality and preparation were major concerns, students also called for better treatment of CDS staff, saying that they wanted “a guaranteed 40 hour work week, benefits for part-time workers, personal days, funding for job training and increased wages.”

The students also want to maintain the house’s orientation toward the community and promote greater benevolence and humanity for CDS workers.

“Bon Appétit is owned by Compass Group, which is a huge international organization that has received food violations in numerous countries,” Farrakhan wrote to the Review. “Until you’ve worked [ for] CDS, you don’t realize how rude, condescending and overbearing the managers are. And you don’t realize how much food gets thrown away. I would like to see Bon Appétit fired and replaced by something other than an international corporation. I would like to see the chefs have the respect and autonomy to cook the food they love.”

The MANAGERS! THEY ARE EVIL :ohdear:

Welcome to real life, bitch.

quote:

Director of Business Operations and Dining Services Michele Gross, one of the main administrators students want to open a dialogue with, responded to the incident this past Sunday.

“We see dining at Lord- Saunders as critically important and support Black students as they make their voices heard and concerns known,” Gross wrote in an email to the Review. “We began making initial changes over the past couple of weeks. We will be providing a detailed response including specific action steps and a precise timeline that will address each concern in order to assure students that we will make this program a great dining experience.”

Gross presented initial feedback to the Africana community at a meeting on Thursday at 4:30 p.m. in Lord lounge. While Gross claims that CDS is working to meet the demands stated in the petition, many students are still concerned with the integrity and intention of Afrikan Heritage House’s space.

“We students are concerned about our safety,” said Gloria Lewis, College sophomore. “And so beyond that, it’s about having a safe space. So it’s not just the dining hall. It’s everything. It’s the posts on Yik Yak. It’s the micro-aggressions.”

I want to take the time here to thank the creators of YikYak for facilitating comedy.

quote:

Beyond the concerns of Afrikan Heritage House, Lewis said that she would like to see more oppression training held by faculty and staff on campus. She also expressed a wish for more Black faculty and administrators to help meet the students’ demands.

More Black Faculty = Better Food across campus. That's racist yo.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

so do these people just start vomiting whenever they get within a certain radius of a panda express or what?

i mean i do that too but for different reasons

Same, but I start vomiting from the other end.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 20, 2015

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Easy solution: stop serving food. Get your grub off-campus, dipshits, or go to the market and learn how to cook.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I want to serve these kids spaghetti with meat sauce that has sugar, shredded cheddar cheese & hot dogs in it, then tell them it's a traditional Filipino dish.

Or balut.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

haha i don't think sushi is religious or sacred or anything

its like a hotdog made of fish and rice, that bitch is so off base.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Wizchine posted:

Easy solution: stop serving food. Get your grub off-campus, dipshits, or go to the market and learn how to cook.

:argh: gently caress you Patriarchal abelist!

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Helical Nightmares posted:

I want to take the time here to thank the creators of YikYak for facilitating comedy.

YikYak is the one and only good social media app to ever be made.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dietary authenticity is the civil rights movement of our time.

Woden
May 6, 2006
So colleges in the US also have really poo poo food because they have tight budgets and tart it up with a cool name? Cool.

quote:

The College owns roughly $200 million of property and pays no tax on the majority of it. Some student activists want that fact to change.
Prepare for your food to be even shittier Oberlin.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Woden posted:

So colleges in the US also have really poo poo food because they have tight budgets and tart it up with a cool name? Cool.

quote:

The College owns roughly $200 million of property and pays no tax on the majority of it. Some student activists want that fact to change.

Prepare for your food to be even shittier Oberlin.

If the students actually have the balls to challenge the college on this they will find out precisely how fascist all college administrators are.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

black students protesting to get fried chicken on the menu.

that beats all

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Shaquin posted:

I thought it was about bumming a dude

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
mods immediately rename me to flagrant rice violation

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Said it once will say it again, we need a world war 3 to kill off and toughen these millennials.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

let them eat those square school pizzas and fruit cups

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
The Black Student Union at Oberlin is demanding that fried chicken is a permanent part of the weekly menu? Before you know it they'll be demanding culturally appropriate malt liquor and watermelon be provided as well.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

New Division posted:

The Black Student Union at Oberlin is demanding that fried chicken is a permanent part of the weekly menu? Before you know it they'll be demanding culturally appropriate malt liquor and watermelon be provided as well.

honestly. what a world

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Society is a communistic enterprise. While self expression and identity are informed largely by the individuals preference and make up, we are not as a species empires or fiefdoms unto our individual selves. The idea of safe spaces and shielding people from rather than addressing hardships is inherently dangerous, as life will on the whole be defined by your raw unpoliced interaction with the world and the other individuals in it. And this world is a rugged rear end place.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Its crazy you can go to school to become Lena Dunham, is that a profitable degree?

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005
"Lena Dunham may not look like the pin-thin models draped across the editorials of Vogue, but she is beautiful. She has the biggest, deepest brown eyes, a sincere, endearing smile and a proportionally small waist leading to the kind of curves that were the muses of Renaissance art. In fact, Lena probably would have been the biggest babe in all of Italy during the 1400s. A body that would probably be gracing the Louvre and revered for its voluptuous nature is basically the only problem people really have about an otherwise beautiful, one-off story about an impulsive affair."

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
She a fat ho but at she'll gently caress anything wet or warm and mostly white

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

how does a female get that fat with tits staying so tiny idgi

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

She will be destroyed in the coming civil war.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Burn down Ohio and anything else Lena Dunham touches

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Food is oppressive because not everyone can eat so replace all food with Soylent the proper meal-replacement substance for a progressive generation.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

She a fat ho but at she'll gently caress anything wet or warm and mostly white

That's fine, but this redefinition of the word beautiful into an antonym for sexually attractive is confusing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Repo Man posted:

That's fine, but this redefinition of the word beautiful into an antonym for sexually attractive is confusing to me.

lol

• Locked thread