Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
the rice thing l o l

like if someone fucks up pierogi or whatever its not ~insensitive to my polish heritage~ despite me learning all of that poo poo from a 90 yr old woman who cant speak english. it sure is offensive calling a bunch of beef chunks and limp onions goulash but its not offensive to my cultural identity despite it being my cultural identity

i guess its not appropriative because poland is of the white, pure, slavic erace and im missing the point b/c saying that is Problematic and belittles those who are oppressed but what do i know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nigga crab pollock posted:

the rice thing l o l

like if someone fucks up pierogi or whatever its not ~insensitive to my polish heritage~ despite me learning all of that poo poo from a 90 yr old woman who cant speak english. it sure is offensive calling a bunch of beef chunks and limp onions goulash but its not offensive to my cultural identity despite it being my cultural identity

i guess its not appropriative because poland is of the white, pure, slavic erace and im missing the point b/c saying that is Problematic and belittles those who are oppressed but what do i know

not to mention the cultural appropriation when you see americans wearing adidas track suits.

Oberlin is somewhat cool as being the first US uni to have co-ed classes and also admit black students.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Oberlin college is exactly where the terrible people in the article congregate. Also it's in Ohio so that's really all that needs to be said about that shithole.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Good on college students figuring out a way to improve the quality of their food with fake cultural appropriation outrage.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I can't figure out why you would leave Japan to go to college in loving Ohio.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

That's a clubbing outfit?

the book club

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

After reading that facebook post I was expecting her to be attractive or something.

Help I'm part of the problem.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

I hate to Snackshame, but is looking like an emo Pillsbury Doughboy part of that schools admission policy?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

One of the list of demands in a past protests, was paying the students $8.20 per hour for protesting on campus.

etalian fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 20, 2015

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
I imagine Afrikan Heritage House is a society full of Afrikaner boers including a authentic "slegs vir blankes" sign at the entry.
Anything other would be appropriation of the proud boer culture and the Afrikaans language.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Shaquin posted:

As a gay man seeing LGBTQIA+ used with sincerity and seriousness in one of those articles makes me real loving mad because good god that looks like such a loving joke. The struggle against adversity is about finding common ground and working seriously and maturely against it not being bogged down in the minutia and specificity of labeling and safe space accommodation.

Well, maybe part of the issue is that 'adversity' is a bit vague as far as opponents go.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Oberlin students also wanted the establishment of black only "safe" places across campus.

This particular demand was pretty hilarious to me since Oberlin was the first US university to admit black students.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

nigga crab pollock posted:

the rice thing l o l

Stop appropriating the Hungarian culture by eating goulash, shitlord

Also I think the Japanese should start paying royalties or something to the Portuguese for centuries of brazen tempura abuse.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Wampa Stompa posted:

Countdown until the tumblr left perpetrates their very own Reichstag burning (or, you know, some more poo poo swastikas) and forms an LGBTQIOULMNOP secret police to sniff out microaggressors and appropriators. If we're lucky, they'll get caught up in infighting and all hound each other to suicide!

Realistically, though, they're just going to bitch and make the lives of the kitchen staff forced to cater to their hysterically bourgeois tastes even more miserable and difficult. "EXCUSE ME, Juan, that sushi rice is overcooked. Why don't you just put Satomi here in an internment camp while you're at it, you Capitalist Pig!"

There are reports of campus hate crimes that turn out to be staged reasonably often already.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Does anyone remember when Orthodox Jews at Yale asked for single-sex dorms because mixed-gender showers was contrary to their cultural practices

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maoist Pussy posted:

Does anyone remember when Orthodox Jews at Yale asked for single-sex dorms because mixed-gender showers was contrary to their cultural practices

Orthodox Jews also wanted segregated bus seating for mass transit.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Pandemonium posted:

Was so happy to be an Oberlin alum pre-2105. gently caress the current student body.

oberlin has been like this atleast 5 years unsure what youre talking about

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I went to a college that made a point of serving fried chicken on MLK Day.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Haier posted:

That's not a fun fact. Indians/people that eat beef can't call themselves Hindu, because it breaks many major rules in all sects of Hinduism. There's never been any provision in any book for anyone to kill and eat the cow. Even the ruling class, who can pretty much eat anything and go hunting for sport without worrying about karma, are not allowed. Because the cow/bull offer so many services with milk products possible to make, field tilling, cart pulling, dung for fuel/heat, etc., you were/are considered a retard to go kill a cow to eat for one meal when you could get like 20+ years of milk/cheese/butter and industrial services out of it. If you actually want to talk Hindu thought on it, since heaven and hell are temporarily visited places, the punishment for killing a cow (killing, selling, and eating are considered the same act) is as many years in hell as the cow had hairs on its body. The cow is considered one of the 7 mothers that a person must respect as his/her own mother, and you don't kill your mother (and if you do, you get a big karmic penalty).
Most of today's Hindus are really just "Hindus" who claim it because it becomes like an ethnicity type of thing, without knowing a single thing about it other than maybe at best the basic Ramayan and Mahabharat plot lines. It's a caste/hereditary claim with no practice or knowledge.

Those Rajputs selling beef are full of poo poo.

so if you shave the cow first you're in the clear?

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

etalian posted:

Orthodox Jews also wanted segregated bus seating for mass transit.

Did they get their safe space or

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Is Oberlin for bourgeois bleeding-anuses that didn't work hard enough to get into Yale or what

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Maoist Pussy posted:

Is Oberlin for bourgeois bleeding-anuses that didn't work hard enough to get into Yale or what

Charges:

Tuition $49,928

Standard Multi-Occupancy Room $7,080

Board $6,550

Fees $708

Total $64,266

Other Expenses:

Books $930

Personal Expenses $978

Oberlin College students are required to have health insurance coverage. Student health insurance is available for purchase at a cost of $1,075 per academic year, included in the fall term bill. Except for international students, students may elect to waive the health insurance charge if they are covered by another plan.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I went to a college that made a point of serving fried chicken on MLK Day.

Koreans make pretty bomb fried chicken, maybe they were appropriating asian cultures again?

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
I live a couple of miles from Colgate University and tbh as bad as these guys are I'd prefer the misplaced progressive bourgeois ideology to literal old money babies at a pseudo ivy league daycare center.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

etalian posted:

Koreans make pretty bomb fried chicken, maybe they were appropriating asian cultures again?

I'd like to culturally appropriate some Korean BBQ right about now.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Shaquin posted:

I live a couple of miles from Colgate University and tbh as bad as these guys are I'd prefer the misplaced progressive bourgeois ideology to literal old money babies at a pseudo ivy league daycare center.

Do you live in Earlville

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I'd like to culturally appropriate some Korean BBQ right about now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSh6VJYRV-g

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Asian fried chicken is actually better than american fried chicken no matter what country you're talkin' about. Korea, Japan, China, Vietnam, thailand, etc

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Is it possible to appropriate something that all cultures make and eat the hell out of now?

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

etalian posted:

Oberlin students also wanted the establishment of black only "safe" places across campus.

i have lived to see the day when a progressive goal is to have a segregated space stocked with fried chicken for black students

we are in the bravest new world

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
i think the article is satire

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

kindermord posted:

i have lived to see the day when a progressive goal is to have a segregated space stocked with fried chicken for black students

we are in the bravest new world

it makes me excited to wake up every day and just see what's out there

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Maoist Pussy posted:

Do you live in Earlville

The Burne actually

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Blue Train posted:

Charges:

Tuition $49,928

Standard Multi-Occupancy Room $7,080

Board $6,550

Fees $708

Total $64,266

Other Expenses:

Books $930

Personal Expenses $978

Oberlin College students are required to have health insurance coverage. Student health insurance is available for purchase at a cost of $1,075 per academic year, included in the fall term bill. Except for international students, students may elect to waive the health insurance charge if they are covered by another plan.

Holy mother of god. :chanpop:

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

kindermord posted:

this country club is a "safe space" for white people

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

MiracleWhale posted:

this country club is a "safe space" for white people

Well, when you really boil it down that is what gated communities are

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Haier posted:

That's not a fun fact. Indians/people that eat beef can't call themselves Hindu, because it breaks many major rules in all sects of Hinduism. There's never been any provision in any book for anyone to kill and eat the cow. Even the ruling class, who can pretty much eat anything and go hunting for sport without worrying about karma, are not allowed. Because the cow/bull offer so many services with milk products possible to make, field tilling, cart pulling, dung for fuel/heat, etc., you were/are considered a retard to go kill a cow to eat for one meal when you could get like 20+ years of milk/cheese/butter and industrial services out of it. If you actually want to talk Hindu thought on it, since heaven and hell are temporarily visited places, the punishment for killing a cow (killing, selling, and eating are considered the same act) is as many years in hell as the cow had hairs on its body. The cow is considered one of the 7 mothers that a person must respect as his/her own mother, and you don't kill your mother (and if you do, you get a big karmic penalty).
Most of today's Hindus are really just "Hindus" who claim it because it becomes like an ethnicity type of thing, without knowing a single thing about it other than maybe at best the basic Ramayan and Mahabharat plot lines. It's a caste/hereditary claim with no practice or knowledge.

Those Rajputs selling beef are full of poo poo.
by that logic homosexuals can't call themselves christian and jews/muslims who eat pork cant call themselves that (for a couple examples). please :rolleyes:

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
what a bunch of faggots someone should go slap their parents for not parenting

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Do it ironically posted:

what a bunch of faggots someone should go slap their parents for not parenting

The whole Oberlin college needs a mass slapping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Relin posted:

by that logic homosexuals can't call themselves christian and jews/muslims who eat pork cant call themselves that

this except unironically

• Locked thread