Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFzrvMS6P8g

F is for Family is the new Netflix show from comedian Bill Burr and Simpsons writer Michael Price. The full first season, comprised of six half-hour episodes, is up on Netflix now.

Bill Burr stars as Frank Murphy, a blue collar father who works at a small airline in the anonymous Northeastern United States. The cast includes Laura Dern as his put-upon wife Sue, Justin Long as their burnout oldest son Kevin, Debi Derryberry as their young and surprisingly malicious daughter Maureen, Haley Reinhart as wimpy younger son Bill, and Sam Rockwell as the family's lothario neighbor Vic.

Tonally, the show is an R-rated King of the Hill set in the 1970s. The period detail is pervasive and handled without ever veering into nostalgia. The blend of hostility and heart that defines Burr's act and podcast translates into a show that is, at turns, dark and sweet, while delivering a heap of laughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
it good?

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

JakeP posted:

it good?

I liked it and want to see more. It's very funny and features a decent deconstruction portrayal of the era's gender and racial politics without veering into the "Golly gee, things sure were different back then!" nostalgia that Mad Men relied upon.

centaurtainment fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 20, 2015

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
It's good if not great. Serial to the point it plays almost like a movie if you sit down and watch it all at once, which is cool because that's how a sizable chunk of viewers will do it. The gags do a good job at not overstaying their welcome. I was disappointed in one thing that seemed like setup that didn't go anywhere, though, and since I don't know TVIV's spoiler policy I'll black it out here: The mom having to keep delivering the same kind of tupperware dish to the same customer repeatedly, I was sure was gonna end up her being an inadvertent drug mule but nothing came of it. Ah well.

And I love the intro sequence.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Diet Poison posted:

It's good if not great. Serial to the point it plays almost like a movie if you sit down and watch it all at once, which is cool because that's how a sizable chunk of viewers will do it. The gags do a good job at not overstaying their welcome. I was disappointed in one thing that seemed like setup that didn't go anywhere, though, and since I don't know TVIV's spoiler policy I'll black it out here: The mom having to keep delivering the same kind of tupperware dish to the same customer repeatedly, I was sure was gonna end up her being an inadvertent drug mule but nothing came of it. Ah well.

And I love the intro sequence.

I definitely didn't think about the butter dish thing too much, but your explanation is a good one! And the intro is one of the best ever if you ask me, it tells a whole story just by itself and is set to a great song. Plus the shot of Frank flying into the pink clouds at the beginning is gorgeous.

centaurtainment fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 20, 2015

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I'm a huge Burr fan and since that this show comes from a top touring comedian, I am surprised that this show doesn't try and be consistently funnier. It's like King of the Hill, but not as funny. But I don't think it's trying to be always funny, so it's bit like Louie in that regard.

I'm 4 eps in and the funniest bit to me by far was when the native american was offered complimentary blanket in the airline commercial.

There are a coupla good sight gags for the quick-eyed, try and catch the appearance of the Monkey Jesus portrait.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I'm going as Nazi Jesus for Halloween next year.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Frank yelling at Kevin for not doing his homework and failing school REALLY brought me back to High School. Really, all of school.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 21, 2015

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I'm really liking this, but I think why it feels like a lesser King of the Hill is because the show is really not quotable. The arcs are good and scene-by-scene it works really well, but there are few if any lines that actually could be recalled to try and describe why I like this show.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Space_Butler posted:

I'm really liking this, but I think why it feels like a lesser King of the Hill is because the show is really not quotable. The arcs are good and scene-by-scene it works really well, but there are few if any lines that actually could be recalled to try and describe why I like this show.

A lot of the funniest lines are situational, like the bully saying "I'm gonna be a cop!" while he's tormenting Bill or Frank's repeated jabs at his son for being a pyromaniac after Bill burns down the clubhouse.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I'm a few episodes in and it's like if Jimmy Wichard was a dad in the 70s.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I dunno "--- or I'll put you through the loving wall" is a pretty memorably phrase.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Nthing the "Not as funny, slower paced King of the Hill".

Even down to Colt Luger/Monsignor Martinez.

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

My folks went to Caprica and all I got was this frakking avatar.
I binge-watched all six episodes in a row, and was definitely hoping there was more. I was never into King of the Hill so I cannot comment on the comparisons, but I liked this show's dark humor and the heart it showed.

I'm hoping they do more with Sam Rockwell's character if we get another season, he seems like a nice source of tragicomedy.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
It really isn't what I expected at all in that it doesn't even feel like it's trying to be funny a lot of the time. The Louie comparison was apt. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's just sad. To me that makes it more interesting. Hope it gets that second season, Bill Burr is adorably nervous about the show's success on his podcast. It really comes across that, whatever else, this thing was a labour of love.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just binged this last night and laughed my rear end off the entire time. The intro is also amazing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This was an excellent way to spend a cold winter Saturday afternoon.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I went into this expecting something really funny but I didn't find a lot of humor. There were a couple chuckles, but not many. Someone compared it to Louie, which I definitely agree with.

That said, it was a pretty good binge watch while doing other poo poo.

I was also absolutely 100% convinced of the drug mule thing too. I felt like they were setting that up really heavily, or at least something else shady going on. But then that went nowhere, which was weird.

Also is it just me or were the mouth animations out of sync often? Maybe it's just the style but a lot of times I was watching the mouths while they talk and it was really awkward.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The funniest part of the entire series is the priest's warmup before the service.

"W-w-water and wine are wonderful, he kissed the leper's foot, don't throw rocks at a whore."

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
This show perfectly captured the horror of a stadium men's room. And of witnessing parents loving.
:shudder:

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

If KotH was on netflix I wonder if they would've shown us hanks nutsack flopping on peggy

I think this has potential to be the funnier show

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I've only seen the first four episodes so far, but I'm digging what I'm seeing. It feels a little bit like a more realistic version of That 70s Show (ironically, it being a cartoon).

Pity I discovered it this early, does anyone know if/when season 2 is scheduled for release?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This show is really good. The scene with Bill under the bed had me legitimately laughing out loud.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Watched the first episode. Twas OK, but none of the characters were really that likable or compelling. I like Burr OK, but I'm probably going to give it a pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
my favorite character was the squeaky voiced black dude in the wifebeater that was only in the first episode

• Locked thread