Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So as further proof that movie critics love the smell of their own farts, I finally watched Birdman. Now, credit where it's due: The style of the film was pretty cool and the faked one-take concept was good. It had some good moments and it wasn't the WORST film I've ever seen in my life that also indeed, had some good acting. So I do mean overrated bullshit and not "steaming pile of poo poo" bullshit.

That said, holy poo poo, I've come to the conclusion all you have to do to win awards is: A) Be sappy about someone with a feel-good version of their life story that's full of lies and boredom (Theory of Everything) or B) Confuse the gently caress out of people so they don't realize your movie plot sucks and none of the plots have any resolution. About halfway into the movie, they utterly drop half the plots in the film and by the end, nearly all of them are completely rendered moot and pointless. Do you know what people say when plots get dropped, are pointless, or make less than zero since in a Transformers movie? They say it's bad writing, it's bullshit, and movies suck. Why do art house movies get a pass? I don't think they do but I think critics are too arrogant to say they don't understand something so try desperately to find meaning in plot holes if the film is being indie-as-gently caress; they proclaim things genius because they hit plot holes and don't want to look stupid for saying they don't understand something, so try to claim each hole is a genius detail with meaning behind it.

I finally watched Nightcrawler shortly after and, holy poo poo, it was actually a complete movie with a unique concept and actually has a beginning, middle and end. Is that why it didn't win all the awards? Because it was too coherent, had some points, and actually knew what it wanted to do as a satire? That it didn't leave a dozen stories twisting in the wind at random in the middle? That it didn't try to confuse the gently caress out of anyone?

I guess long story short of this rant is you too can win all the awards if you act like you're a genius and wrap your utterly incomplete script in some neat gimmicks and decent acting.

PS: Also you don't need to be a REAL indie movie; you can have a 22 million dollar budget, totally, if you buy some cheap cameras and skimp out on production costs. The critics will love you.

ED: If you can't guess I also think Theory of Everything was a streaming pile of bullshit trying to shove a pretty dark history into a feel-good inspirational piece for awards to lap up, it was as transparent as glass. But if you admit that you admit the Emperor has No Clothes I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
didn't read; birdman was great

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Birdman's awesome and you're a loving moron

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cram me sideways posted:

didn't read; birdman was great

It has great style but no substance. At all. It was even shallower than a Michael Bay production at it's core, but with better actors.

Pointless characters and plot lines and a recycled on-stage suicide attempt (hey, worked for a few other critically acclaimed movies) is the art house version of getting a hot girl to wash a car to sell to the masses, except it's to sell to awards people and not dumb teenagers but it's just as pandering.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 20, 2015

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
op is right birdman sucked. better off watching paint dry.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

What a bitch rear end way to try to take down a movie. Birdman has plenty of substance. You probably also hated Whiplash you dumb poo poo

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

What a dumb motherfucker

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
Wow, a "Birdman Sucks" thread. Great concept for a thread. No one has ever made a thread exactly like this.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

Why do art house movies get a pass? I don't think they do but I think critics are too arrogant to say they don't understand something so try desperately to find meaning in plot holes if the film is being indie-as-gently caress

i'm not sure what you think you are talking about but there was nothing remotely "indie" or "art house" about birdman

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
OP try again but do it without ending any sentences or using any periods

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law has been completely buried by time :smith:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Earwicker posted:

i'm not sure what you think you are talking about but there was nothing remotely "indie" or "art house" about birdman

Oh, it pretended to be, it pretended to be so hard. It was repeatedly screened and promoted as an indie film. They even tried to justify the budget as "necessary for our special effects," and tried to frame it like a studio "rescued" an indie movie. Because if it was an actual studio movie and wearing that label it'd probably only gotten some acting nods and that's it.

But you're right, there was nothing remotely indie about it.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
I'm pretty sure this is like the fourth thread I've seen on this topic

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think the studio felt the movie sucked, as they advertised it as a comedy, hoping to draw unsuspecting viewers in.

The movie was good, but it had about 30 seconds of "comedy" in the entire thing.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

Oh, it pretended to be, it pretended to be so hard. It was repeatedly screened and promoted as an indie film.

huh? it was promoted as a quirky comedy about the movie business. it was never promoted as an "indie film" its from New Regency and there was never any effort to hide that.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

This is a sad, pathetic thread. Here we watch someone try incredibly hard. They try so hard and think so hard. How can I ruin this good movie Uuuuuuuuuuh

God you are loving stupid and no one agrees with you. You might as well have not made this thread at all. You are inconsequential in time immemorial. gently caress you

Aug 4, 2010

whats your opinion on the new star wars OP?

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

gigawhite posted:

God you are loving stupid and no one agrees with you.

I agreed with him. I did not enjoy this movie.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me
I felt bored overall with Birdman. Whiplash and Nightcrawler were much more engaging, but I guess they were more traditionally told and shot, so they didn't win. I agree with you, OP.

Thanks.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I enjoyed Birdman more when he was with the Big Tymers. Harvey Birdman is p cool too.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

www posted:

whats your opinion on the new star wars OP?

Im sure he loved it do you even really have to ask?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

gigawhite posted:

This is a sad, pathetic thread. Here we watch someone try incredibly hard. They try so hard and think so hard. How can I ruin this good movie Uuuuuuuuuuh

God you are loving stupid and no one agrees with you. You might as well have not made this thread at all. You are inconsequential in time immemorial. gently caress you

i was gonna say something but this post is better

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
birp

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

mdm posted:

I'm pretty sure this is like the fourth thread I've seen on this topic

yeah! stop making these these kind of threads and give us more threads whining about sjws!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Who cares, Crash is actually the worst movie to win best picture.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

FogHelmut posted:

Who cares, Crash is actually the worst movie to win best picture.

Most of the "best picture" movies are poo poo. American Beauty? No Country For Old Men? Titanic? You have to go all the way to 1991 to find an actual good movie that won the award.

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

he has some decent songs

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I saw this movie high. Not recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIkHMGxyN34

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
lol who the gently caress still watches awards shows

lfield
May 10, 2008
i kinda liked birdman

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

BigBoss posted:

No Country For Old Men

whoawhoawhoawhoawhoa. whoa. settle down beavis

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

fethers

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I enjoyed Birdman and it's worth watching esp while baked, but OP is also totally right

e:

gigawhite posted:

This post itself is actually quite pathetic. Jesus

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
nachos rule!

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
anyway thats enough from lil ol me. i didnt read any of this thread and i hope everyone gets aids
edit: happy holidays

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Yeah I guessed as much so I avoided it. It's probably smarmy faux-intellectual bullshit for millenial hipstrs.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
here's a cool idea, don't watch movies that never get released outside of LA and New York

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

A misanthrope posted:

yeah! stop making these these kind of threads and give us more threads whining about sjws!

I wasn't a fan of Birdman's feminist undertones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

mike12345 posted:

Yeah I guessed as much so I avoided it. It's probably smarmy faux-intellectual bullshit for millenial hipstrs.

This makes you a hipster.

• Locked thread