Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mr. mephistopheles posted:

feel free to elaborate how 8.5 succeeds at the same themes and motifs that you think birdman fails at or your post is just "new popular thing actually sucks and old somewhat obscure to the average person thing is good"

8 1/2 is a very famous movie and is probably much more well known to the average person than birdman, which is not even particularly popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

mr. mephistopheles posted:

feel free to elaborate how 8.5 succeeds at the same themes and motifs that you think birdman fails at or your post is just "new popular thing actually sucks and old somewhat obscure to the average person thing is good"

"Torture yourself along my retarded line of thinking or else I will smug out on you like crazy."

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
If you don't like Fury Road you might not actually like movies

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Necc0 posted:

no that was my point they both hit all the same 'themes and motifs' to being almost the same movie but 8 1/2 actually pulled off all the things people itt are complaining about ie: 2d characters, boring dialogue, faux-indie aesthetic, etc

this kinda of point, the one where people go"Why don't you watch this movie instead", is mad gay. because you can watch and enjoy more than one movie in your life, its a thing that can happen,

and its totally possible to enjoy a fuckin french movie from 1963 and also a movie in 2014, jesus christ why would you possibly have to choose, who would make you choose?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SlipkPIe posted:

If you don't like Fury Road you might not actually like movies

yes if someone disagrees with your opinion about a silly light scifi car chase action movie, clearly they do not like any other movies.

i mean i enjoyed fury road personally, but that shits just stupid

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
the good thing i remember about birdman is that he did the same monologue like three different times, but because of the circumstances and delivery they meant something different and had different emotional content each time. that was kind of neat

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Fonzarelli posted:

this kinda of point, the one where people go"Why don't you watch this movie instead", is mad gay. because you can watch and enjoy more than one movie in your life, its a thing that can happen,

and its totally possible to enjoy a fuckin french movie from 1963 and also a movie in 2014, jesus christ why would you possibly have to choose, who would make you choose?

if it were a good movie then yeah this would be totally fine but it isn't. so if you want to see birdman, but good, watch 8 1/2

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

you loving people

Sperghetti
Apr 21, 2010

I thought Birdman was watchable but mostly insubstantial. I went in with absolutely no prior bias however, I wasn't informed by the masses until afterwards that is objectively genius and inscrutable and that I should kill myself if my instinctual response post-viewing isn't to drop to my knees and tenderly fellate Alejandro González Iñárritu and Keaton.

Can't wait for Revenant, No Country for Old Men was unsatisfying, Nightcrawler was okay, and Star Wars was fine.

Birdman was a billion times better than Boyhood though

Sperghetti fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 21, 2015

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Didnt read thst post but i havent watched birdman and im glad of it

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
lol if you don't have strategically placed experimental jazz drummers serenade you as you go about your day

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
i watched birdman and enjoyed it because ed norton does a really good job in the movie. diffr'nt stroke for diffr'nt folks i gues!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Only good birdman is this guy:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Only good birdman is this guy:

gotta disagree with you there chief

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Sperghetti posted:

No Country for Old Men was unsatisfying

Unsatisfying because it's lack of a meaningful conclusion? Story wise it lacks one but I thought the point was that violence was both pointless and unavoidable in humans.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Nightcrawler and Whiplash were better than Birdman. The Revenant looks much better though.

Sperghetti
Apr 21, 2010

ShaqDiesel posted:

Unsatisfying because it's lack of a meaningful conclusion? Story wise it lacks one but I thought the point was that violence was both pointless and unavoidable in humans.

Yeah that's certainly one aspect of the disappointment. Cormac McCarthy stories generally seem pretty nihilistic and chaotic and I'm not sure they lend themselves to film adaptations. Brolin's death was meaningless and we don't even see it on screen so I definitely agree with your point.

To me though the story seems to blatantly troll the audience and subvert expectations about our concepts of plot structure. They eliminate half the main players off screen with little fanfare, take us right to the precipice of the traditional climactic cowboy showdown and Tommy Lee Jones literally turns around and walks away from Javier Bardem the crazy rear end killer. I think that was the intention of the movie honestly, to defy traditional storytelling and leave us uneasy and unsatisfied that chaotic evil can and does triumph and lawful good can and will puss out and act selfishly.

Kudos to the Coens for tackling this story though, it definitely wasn't a safe movie to go for

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

there is only one birdman for me and his name is Harvey.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Still willing to fight ANY of you fuckers and poo poo-lickers for the honor of this film

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I kind of enjoyed watching it. But when it was done, I realized I'll never have any desire to watch it again. Which is the mark of a bad movie.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

Best Giraffe posted:

Still willing to fight ANY of you fuckers and poo poo-lickers for the honor of this film

what if i just watched half of it and liked what i watched but have no pressing desire to finish it

can we leg wrestle or play laser tag or something

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Shoukd be amovie about bard mans

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
whoa agreed. need a movie about a bard. now

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine