Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Imajus posted:

As the maker of Penguin Panic, I'll put it to good use, but whatever you think is fair. It's your bounty!

Wasn't it for a GMS license? Cos I already bought one so I'm happy to concede

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
In that case, Penguin Panic takes it! Give me an email Imajus so I can send it your way

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!

Afal posted:

In that case, Penguin Panic takes it! Give me an email Imajus so I can send it your way

Awesome! Thanks guys! imajus@gmail.com

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Murder, Death, Chill

https://vimeo.com/155266661

I recorded this one at the same time as the rest of 'em, but then I got really busy and forgot about it. I watched it again about six hours ago, and here's what I remember:
  • Memorable aesthetic. It's very clear and inescapable that I'm in a chill situation.
  • Tight gameplay, which isn't to say good gameplay. There wasn't a lot going on mechanically, but you knew it and worked around it. The game was so short and intense that its simplicity did not matter one whit.
  • Pun driven development. When humanity returns to the tops of trees, gigantic implacable redwoods, and the pinnacle of our technology has regressed to ziplines, oral history will remember pun driven development as the one true enlightenment of our silver years.
  • Continue puts you right back where you left off. This is a huge deal. For normal games of skill this might be a turn-off, but you had a point to make and it was incredibly wise that you ensured you had the chance to make it.
  • Scope in general. You knew you were a game jam game. I knew I was playing a game jam game. I got my chuckles in, and I left with a smile on my mouth and a sensation of (limited) time well spent.
  • Patera Silk is a baller.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Hammer Bro. posted:

Har har, I'm a dum-dum.

Now I swear I've read the OP again and poked around on the official website for multiple minutes, but is there anywhere outside of Google Docs I can see the top ten we're supposed to be voting on? (And if there isn't, what's that reserved second post for, nudge-nudge?)

Scroll up to the very top of this page.

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

Hammer Bro. posted:

...but is there anywhere outside of Google Docs I can see the top ten we're supposed to be voting on?

JonTerp posted:

Scroll up to the very top of this page.
Polar Adventure
Llama goes to Market
Beach Maygpis
Chateau de Feu
Cool Down My Fac
Kesha Was Bird
Catfishin' and Chill
Average Jo
Chill Out
Hashtag Everest

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ARGH I CAN"T READ.

Ahem. Thanks. And congratulations to all the finalists.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Afal posted:

Congrats to those who won. I guess I have to give out the rest of the bounties

Bounties which haven't been collected yet

• Can whoever was responsible for The View down Cold Firgun and Zamboni please let themselves known so I can send a copy of "The Magpie Collection" to y'all
  • Forget chill wins "Putt-PuttŪ Goes to the Moon"

Hey Afal, I made Zamboni. I sent you a message but i realize not everyone is into that or reads them. Anyways just to be thorough I am posting here and my email is aidanaidan@gmail.com. Yay :mmmsmug: GG every1

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
Whoops I totally got that message but I got it at a time where I couldn't do anything. Totally forgot about it sorry. Key has been sent!

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
What the gently caress, how did i miss this? I guess i have some games to play...

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Prize emails went out this morning. Winners should have their wonderful goon games to play now.

Congrats to everyone! Now just to give out the Community choice vote and I can forget this ever happened ... until the summer jam anyways.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Woo, got my steam keys, thanks judges! Now to figure out how to split these four keys between five or six people. Process of elimination I suppose. Now let's see... Pretty sure megane doesn't need Qud....

In other news, we finished up the 1.2.0 build of #Everest, which is probably going to be our last revision to the game for awhile. You can get it here. And why should you get the new version of #Everest when the old one was so chill it won chillest game of the jam? Well let me tell you!

#Everest v.1.2.0 Changelog
  • Player can now adjust music, voice, and sound effect volume individually from the pause menu
  • Implemented "Talk" feature, which includes some gameplay hints, Everest trivia, and some dumb bullshit
  • Added morale system - if the player character's photo gets a lot of likes, they're happy and regenerate health and stamina twice as fast. If their photo gets snubbed, they're sad and regenerate health and stamina at half the normal rate.
  • Game now warns you if you attempt to embark without many "junk" items (with accompanying narration)
  • Fixed issue where Tori's death narration audio was mismapped in several places
  • Changed several in-game windows to look like messages on the player character's phone
  • Implemented social media notification narration
  • Implemented additional Death Zone dialogues
  • Unique narration now occurs when character dies due to fall
  • Main game window now shows player's total score at all times
  • Improved exception handling
  • Modified point values of some items
  • narration for the first time a character's encumbrance goes over 150lbs
  • Visual notification on theft event
  • Added GBS 2016 Everest death pool predictions as possible hallucinatory text messages
  • Little climber sprites now show the color of the clothing worn in the portrait of the character they represent, including the player character
  • Sara's little climber sprite is now female
  • The player character's little climber sprite is female if the player character is Tori
  • Added more item sprites, including the piano and pinball machine!
  • Item descriptions now show on hover rather than right click
  • Added more textual explanations of gameplay
  • Shop window now has pagination rather than "show more" button
  • Fixed various typos in item descriptions
  • Changed hover window logic to prevent window from getting in the way of stuff
  • Added new font for various menus and prompts
  • Character's encumbrance now shows in red if 150lbs or higher
  • Increased volume of Tori's VO to match that of Troy's
  • Replaced playcrafting logo with Little Awful Jam logo
  • General code clean-up
  • Misc bugfixes

Oh yeah, and vote for us if you liked our game! ("Hashtag Everest" in the poll since I couldn't register a title with a special character.)

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Xibanya posted:

Now to figure out how to split these four keys between five or six people.

One of the major reasons (among the many major reasons) we outline very specifically in the rules to do everything in your power to not have more than 5 people on your team.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Hammer Bro. posted:

Murder, Death, Chill

https://vimeo.com/155266661

I recorded this one at the same time as the rest of 'em, but then I got really busy and forgot about it. I watched it again about six hours ago, and here's what I remember:
  • Memorable aesthetic. It's very clear and inescapable that I'm in a chill situation.
  • Tight gameplay, which isn't to say good gameplay. There wasn't a lot going on mechanically, but you knew it and worked around it. The game was so short and intense that its simplicity did not matter one whit.
  • Pun driven development. When humanity returns to the tops of trees, gigantic implacable redwoods, and the pinnacle of our technology has regressed to ziplines, oral history will remember pun driven development as the one true enlightenment of our silver years.
  • Continue puts you right back where you left off. This is a huge deal. For normal games of skill this might be a turn-off, but you had a point to make and it was incredibly wise that you ensured you had the chance to make it.
  • Scope in general. You knew you were a game jam game. I knew I was playing a game jam game. I got my chuckles in, and I left with a smile on my mouth and a sensation of (limited) time well spent.
  • Patera Silk is a baller.

Haha, nice. I just watched the video and the reactions to the game was fun to see :)
"Good game, adequate length" is basically everything I hoped the game to be.

Regarding the gameplay, yeah it's honestly quite a bit lacking. I threw together an early prototype pretty quickly, which was sortof so-so, and then had to decide if I was going to commit to it, or make something else. Decided to just go with it, and ended up with this game. The limited ways to spawn enemies with the current system doesn't really make for much variety, but since I was going for a short experience, it came out alright.

Continues only giving a minor setback (rounds down to last 10%) was a good decision. I knew that I did not want to make a game that's hard to complete. At first, restarts started off from the beginning, and the "Chill mode" on the main screen was introduced (where deaths just count up, but you can't take damage), but I realized that just having a continue where you can keep going with only a minor setback seemed like a better way of making the game easy to complete.

After all, this is a game-jam game, and I don't expect people to put that much time into it :) Very happy with how it came out. Should write up a proper postmortem at some point.

A TL;DR postmortem would say:

Good:
- People generally seem to like the game
- Won a bunch of bounties (three i think?)
- Pizza made great music

Bad:
- Did not make top-10 nomination list

Lessons learned:
- Don't forget to add JonTerp in post-credit judge pandering.

Buffis fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 16, 2016

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Xibanya posted:

In other news, we finished up the 1.2.0 build of #Everest, which is probably going to be our last revision to the game for awhile.

We've also been working on a new version of Average Joe to take on board some of the Judge feedback and see how many extra days we would have needed to polish it up based on the critique we got (the answer was like 3 days). Our main objective with this is really so we can be like "Heya [real world friend] old buddy old pal, check out this cool game we made for a game jam!' and not get the response 'oh yeah, those were some nice crates, btw I quit it already'.

So far, we've only updated the Web Build at https://chromatophore.itch.io/average-joe but, we've worked on it a bunch and it's a lot more robust. It works well in Firefox and Chrome on W7, W10 and OSX. IE is inferior, Edge untested. Safari is sadly still messed up (Sorry Internet Janitor). Playing sounds in browsers is, apparently, a nightmare.

Bottom line:
Added a help screen that you can access at any time with H.
edit - oh yeah also a volume control with + and -
We cut out like 10 crates out of level 1, dropping the total to 15. The curve is much steeper but it's about as infuriating.
If you get more than 3 unfinished crates, you get fired and the game moves on.
A much more specific 'HEY PUSH C LIKE THIS' tutorial.
A new horizontal tracker for the C key that lets you see what you're doing/what you did and what you're supposed to be doing waaay better.
More forgiving calmness swings/post text box resumption mechanics.
An indicator for which ending you got in the credits, which I've rewritten and now can also be sped up or skipped.
Added back in a story element that got cut: picking which necklace you take from the store based on your position in the race.

Unless there's any massive bugs or people tell us it's really bad, will probably push a new downloadable release on github tomorrow and hang up our C keys - it's been a blast.

Quaternion Cat fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 16, 2016

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

Buffis posted:

Bad:
- Did not make top-10 nomination list
You were just on the edge for me. If you had a bit more substance I think you would've been a lock. It was still awesome though!

Also, you were one of the winners of my personal bounty so get in touch with me :)

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Congrats to Llama Goes to Market for winning the Community choice award!

Responses
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fj1piWC0hXxUwYWJgNfaJrWSPoesnpYptTDpOWTEmgQ/edit?usp=sharing

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Hey that's awesome, thanks everyone! :)

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Congrats to the whole llama team! You did good!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Congratulations team Llama!

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 18, 2016

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Thanks for the votes, everybody! I didn't think the game would be so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

We opened up the box of merch today, and I wanted to thank all of the judges again for putting together these jams. The win encouraged me enough to shoot off a few e-mails about Chill Out, one of which to Valve mentioning that the team would love to take this concept further into VR with proper VR controllers. Today we got back an e-mail extending the opportunity to work with the Vive. We're very excited to explore some of our ideas with the tech (this is our third Awful Jam entry to support VR) and again wanted to thank you for the prodding to get off our butts and make a game.

• Locked thread