Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

My experiments with lighting were mostly a success (I still don't think GI is working correctly, but I digress). Things are looking pretty good, now I just need to fill up the room with models. Getting lots and lots of practice with Blender. Also having a hell of a time making good metallic surfaces with the Unity Standard Shader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
It seems I've turned this gamejam into an excuse to do a bunch of stuff I have little or no experience with. I'm painting in photoshop, making an ambient soundtrack in audacity and writing buttloads of text. It's fun and exciting, but who knows if I'll be able to cobble it all together well enough for a decent experience. I remain hopeful.

That being said I need a break from writing so I'm going to write out what I'm doing so I can make sense of it to myself at least. My game is narrative focused, having the player control some parameters to maintain a sort of equilibrium. The point of my game is to last long enough to get to the end so that the story gets delivered in it's entirety. The delivery mechanism is everyone's favourite game-thing: audiologs! There isn't any environmental exploration, just milestones to reach, but I'm planning to have the control of these mechanisms become more and more difficult to maintain.

If I can manage it I hope to implement consequences for deviating from said equilibrium visually and audibly (messing up the audiologs for instance so there's motivation to stay focused). I think the plot is good enough to keep people's attention, though when I came up with some of the most important plot points this morning I realized I was unintentionally writing something similar to a relatively popular piece of media and had to rethink a whole bunch of stuff.

Here's an unfinished version of what will probably become the background for my title screen! For some reason after uploading on imgur it's really very blue on my screen. I have no clue why. It's not blue I swear.

Giggs fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 11, 2016

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

This is all I got done for day 4 because I have a migraine :(

Edit: any colourblind people let me know if the colours are too close!

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Not everyone can make AAA game-jam games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUUXn2Tvd3k

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I made a level editor, WinForms continues to be the easiest thing ever to work with.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Shoehead posted:

This is all I got done for day 4 because I have a migraine :(

Edit: any colourblind people let me know if the colours are too close!

Looks good but the purple and red are kind of close. Not terribly so.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Alright well, since taking a break this afternoon I didn't get around to much and I have yet to even open Game Maker but heck, painting is really fun.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

I have some bad news, from our IRC channel:

quote:

<Elentor> I need one of you guys to do me a favor and make a post when the forum is back.
<xezton> i'm listening
<Elentor> I've been with health complications and the last time I went to the ER it was bad, and I'm getting the same symptoms as yesterday so I'm leaving to the hospital. If you can make a post at the thread saying that I can't participate in the game jam, i'll appreciate.
<TomR> we'll make sure of it

Get well Elentor!

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
That sounds real lovely, hope you get better Elentor!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh no! Get well soon Elentor!!

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008
Elentor will not end up on the wall of shame, by god!
(Get healthy Elentor!)

Takanago posted:

I'm a little worried that I'm leaning too heavily on Unity's particle systems as my special effects here. I might take them away from the enemy attack and just rely on the animations/sound effects to sell the idea of the hit. And finally, I made some blocks so these guys are standing on a proper platform now.

I think the particles look great! I'd say stick with it, and also do the animations and sounds.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Get better Elentor. :(

By some miracle, I pulled myself off the couch and added region types for robot cooling.

Go tiny robot, go!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Wow, I had no idea this was going on! I'm definitely in, though I'm not sure if I can top Turbo Voynich Manuscript.

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!
I caught this a little late, but am also in! Going solo this time.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Woo day...six? Woah I should work harder..

Matching works! :neckbeard:

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Lucid Dream posted:

Hey folks, if there are any art people out there who aren't already working on something I could use some sprites for the game I'm working on for the jam. I'm making an oregon trail ripoff where you play as a penguin, and I've been able to get by with programmer art for the most part, but there are certain parts that I am too terrible at art for.

You can get some decent results by taking photos and running them through Photoshop to make them look like pixel art.

http://www.shutterstock.com/blog/how-to-turn-any-photograph-into-pixel-art-with-photoshop

If that is the route you want to go, there are no shortages of public domain images that exist that can assist. If you need something specific, sent me a PM. I'm in Canada and we currently have an abundance of snow and so long as it doesn't require a camera fancier than my phone, I can probably get it for you. I can do some generic wintery sounds (crunching snow, wind, others?) too.

If you're looking for locations as you circumnavigate the globe longitudinally, stopping at the so-far-undiscovered resting place of the HMS Terror is an interesting option as something to do as you head towards the north pole. Hans Island is also fun, nobody really knows if it belongs to Denmark or Canada and the countries take turns leaving bottles of booze on the speck of an island as a means of claiming it. Robert Falcon Scott is a name you'll want to look at if you haven't already decided on who you want for the "peperony and chease" moment.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Antifreeze Head posted:

You can get some decent results by taking photos and running them through Photoshop to make them look like pixel art.

http://www.shutterstock.com/blog/how-to-turn-any-photograph-into-pixel-art-with-photoshop

If that is the route you want to go, there are no shortages of public domain images that exist that can assist. If you need something specific, sent me a PM. I'm in Canada and we currently have an abundance of snow and so long as it doesn't require a camera fancier than my phone, I can probably get it for you. I can do some generic wintery sounds (crunching snow, wind, others?) too.

If you're looking for locations as you circumnavigate the globe longitudinally, stopping at the so-far-undiscovered resting place of the HMS Terror is an interesting option as something to do as you head towards the north pole. Hans Island is also fun, nobody really knows if it belongs to Denmark or Canada and the countries take turns leaving bottles of booze on the speck of an island as a means of claiming it. Robert Falcon Scott is a name you'll want to look at if you haven't already decided on who you want for the "peperony and chease" moment.

Good stuff, thanks.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I have a title screen. Welp.

I might get something done!

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I've messed around with little things here and there but never actually finished a game, so I'm going to get into this so I have an incentive to complete it.

So far I have a box that can move in four directions, if I add some music that's a game right??

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Lemon posted:

I've messed around with little things here and there but never actually finished a game, so I'm going to get into this so I have an incentive to complete it.

So far I have a box that can move in four directions, if I add some music that's a game right??

Add some screenshake every time you move, or look at the screen.

(For real though, if you've never seen em before these two videos are very good at getting the most of out a game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy0aCDmgnxg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJdEqssNZ-U

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

gamejaaaaaam

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Giggs posted:

gamejaaaaaam

Ship it.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Now I have boxes that can do things with other boxes:

Now it's time to make everything not terrible.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I keep getting sick this week :(

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Shoehead posted:

I keep getting sick this week :(

Get well soon, floating space babby. I'm only just getting over a cold that I caught late last week.

On the plus side, even if I never finish this game, I will have an intro screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKJpSQeYpJA

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Get well soon, floating space babby. I'm only just getting over a cold that I caught late last week.

On the plus side, even if I never finish this game, I will have an intro screen.

does this include any sweet trainers?

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

This is so good!

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
http://i.imgur.com/VTYrIRw.gifv

:saddowns:

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I'm really impressed at the results we're seeing playing with lighting. 33 models down, a number to go. If nothing else, this will be the best looking game we've made.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 15, 2016

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Wow, I had no idea this was going on! I'm definitely in, though I'm not sure if I can top Turbo Voynich Manuscript.

poo poo this is what I'm most excited to see. Turbo Voynich was my top pick of SAGDC.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Xibanya posted:

Hi guys, I just wanted to say, no matter what happens, I'm honored to be able to participate in this jam and achieve my dream of being the first white woman from Texas to make a game in my dining room based on the misadventures of a South Asian woman from Canada.

holy poo poo. That will be a very chilled game. Don't forget green boots!

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Microwaves Mom posted:

holy poo poo. That will be a very chilled game. Don't forget green boots!

Green boots will not be forgotten :patriot:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
More title screens!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXlg3833fEc

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I like this a lot.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Shalinor posted:

I like this a lot.

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it considering how little time I spent on it.

Also, holy poo poo krillins title screen is the best.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Progress report: my game now has voice acting!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-TZtmicJpDTSnJjWktjZ2l2SGM/view?usp=sharing

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Looks like most of you are really set as far as assets are concerned. :saddowns: For those of you who need more things, Kenney just released a new asset pack. http://kenney.itch.io/

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
One week left! Start wrapping up your games and begin testing.

The #awfuljams channel on Slack is a great place to find testers for your game.

https://slack.sagamedev.net

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!
I wish I was in testing phase. Still getting caught up from my late start. Today is sprite day:

• Locked thread