Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Sup bitches, it's Team Dogpit here. I'm talkin' bout that Little Awful Jam. We are SO in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Curious about the website. Here's my team's page (accessed via Little Awful Jam section): http://www.awfuljams.com/little-awful-2016/teams/team-dogpit

Note lack of link to Slam Fighter II.

Here's Afal's page (accessed via Little Awful Jam section): http://www.awfuljams.com/little-awful-2016/teams/team-afal

Note link to An Video Game.

I also edited the page for Slam Fighter II and now don't have a review. What's up with that? http://www.awfuljams.com/sagdc-x/games/slam-fighter-ii

BY THE WAY, goony people, Slam Fighter II has had an update about once a month since SAGDCX and now looks and plays a lot better, so everybody should go get the latest version right this second: http://slamfighter.com/download

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Afal posted:

Edit: to add to what Xibanya just said, my team description (http://www.awfuljams.com/little-awful-2016/teams/team-afal) looks different when I'm logged in to when I'm not (logged out shows SAGDC X description, logged in and looking at my own profile shows newer description). Links to previous games are shown for each profiles (unless you're logged in and looking at your own profile).

So yep getting some funkiness on the site.

STEPS I TOOK TO SEE FUNKINESS
Browser: Chrome (latest), Firefox (latest)

• Start new browser session
  • Go to http://www.awfuljams.com
  • Go to SAGDCX > Teams
  • Click the Edit button under Team Dogpit's logo

• Expected that the existing markup from last edit loads in editor - actually this is what I see:

• If I try to save the page in Chrome, the page crashes. If I try to save the page in Firefox, the page crashes and I also get this:

Actually clicking my team in the SAGDCX section while I'm logged in goes to the page I most recently saved for Little Awful Jam (this is also the page that loads when I click my team in the Little Awful Jam section):

But if I log out, this always loads for my team page

If I click the Edit button while actually on the team page, the editor looks like this:

and submitting changes gets me a postback pretty quickly.

Schnugaf posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the verdict on having a team with non-goon members? Not a necessity for me at all, but I figured I'd ask in case some friends of mine from class would like to participate on my team, if I create one.

JonTerp posted:

Also, I didn't mention this in the OP but this jam is 100% ~public~ so tell your friends!

The wall of shame is doesn't discriminate :getin:

So yep.

JonTerp posted:

Thanks for letting us know. Top men are on the case. TOP MEN.

Dangit you beat me before I could finish my beautiful bugs. Well let them stand (half-finished) for posterity!

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 23, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a wall of shame stamping on a flappy bird - forever.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I like Trivialize myself, since it leads my imagination to all kinds of wild places. Not crazy about short n' sweet since given the two-week length of the jam we're probably all going to do that anyway. (I mean hell, a bunch of the SAGDCX entries would probably be admissible under that theme.) chill could also be fun just because I'm amused by a bunch of winter-themed games coming from a pack of goons.

And Pomdexter's bounty sounds loving incredible; I must stalk his post history so I can make sure I design a game to win it. :haw:

For the record, I loved An Video Game, so my opinion cancels out that of MockingQuantum, therefore it is as if nobody mentioned An Video Game in the thread at all!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

MockingQuantum posted:

If you need a sound designer and do not take him up on this, you are a deeply foolish person.

Or foolish....like a fox!

My sound guy is awesome. And should :justpost: instead of lurking all the goddamn time.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Buffis posted:

Thinking about using PICO-8 instead of Octo for this Jam.

Anyone using any other fun tech/platforms?

We're going XNA again, which some may consider an antiquated way of doing things!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Bounty:

I will gift a copy of Contraption Maker to the team whose game has the best :iceburn:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
The dev cycle is fully underway at Casa Dogpit

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Been makin' pictures! Pictures of cool stuff!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hi guys, I just wanted to say, no matter what happens, I'm honored to be able to participate in this jam and achieve my dream of being the first white woman from Texas to make a game in my dining room based on the misadventures of a South Asian woman from Canada.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Microwaves Mom posted:

holy poo poo. That will be a very chilled game. Don't forget green boots!

Green boots will not be forgotten :patriot:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Progress report: my game now has voice acting!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-TZtmicJpDTSnJjWktjZ2l2SGM/view?usp=sharing

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Here's an inventory item from my game:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Glad you liked the Slam Fighter II page! I haven't planned out the page for #Everest, Team Dogpit's game for LAJ '16, but I have some ideas.

In the meantime, enjoy some concept art from our game:

EDIT:

Oh yes and in the interest of being sporting, letting you all know that yesterday I decided to reuse these portraits I made for Slam Fighter II for #Everest out of a mixture of :supaburn: and :effort:

So yanno, if ya'll wanna put 'em in your own little awful jam entry too or whatever. (I made totally original portraits yesterday too, just using these dudes to round out my pixel-portrait needs.)

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 19, 2016

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Edit: thanks for reaching out to help, folks!

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 21, 2016

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

:ohdear:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Wow, what a jam.

If anything this jam has reaffirmed my faith in our lord and savior, the agile methodology.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Behold!

#Everest

Please enjoy my chill as gently caress game about taking selfies.

(get XNA runtimes to make it work)

E:

If you don't haven't already, please install these runtimes:
XNA Runtime 4.0
.NET 4.0

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 24, 2016

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Afal posted:

doing some more mini-firstimpressions-reviews

Yo Afal, I played your game. I enjoyed it so much that I immediately messaged my teammates IN ALL CAPS that they should drop everything and play it. I do agree the flappy bird hitboxes were a bit wonky but I enjoyed the reappearance of Anime Steve.

Oh, and by the way, An Video Game provided quite a bit of inspiration for #Everest, so thanks for that.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Still scouting out who will win my bounty for the game with the best :iceburn:

Quick thoughts:

Chill Out - seems more a demo than a game, but I liked the music!
Murder, Death, Chill - this game looked gorgeous and gameplay seemed pretty tight. This kind of game isn't my thing so I got bored after a few levels but I know a lot of people to whom it would appeal. Graphics were hella chill.
Lee, The Chill Chinchilla - probably not a lot of replay value but this one was pretty fun
Tried to play The View down the Cold Firgun but the link was broken
Frigid - I really enjoyed this game's aesthetic and the sound design was minimalist but effective. I happen to enjoy walking simulators so it's up my alley (although I found myself tempted to make an autowalk macro in AutoIT)

More to come!

Mihai Zetta posted:

Xibanya's been keeping me busy

:drat: I need to up my gamedev selfie game if I'm gonna take home that copy of Bad Rats!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
OK, the standalone exe runs on my computer so I'll investigate and see what's up.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Buffis posted:

The game crashes on startup for me, despite having both XNA runtime and .NET framework installer (downloaded both from links on awfuljam page, and went through installers anyways). I'm on Win7 64bit.

Crashlogs:
C:\Users\buffi\AppData\Local\Temp\WER1D0D.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
http://dpaste.com/1446ZH3
C:\Users\buffi\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3446.tmp.appcompat.txt
http://dpaste.com/1VGW30H

So I'm still investigating this -- the standalone exe runs for me no matter where I put the directory so I'm wondering what it is I have installed that you don't. All the dlls are there in the root directory, so hmmm.

E: Ziggy Starfucker points out that the json dlls may require you to have java runtimes. Gonna try to verify that now by uninstalling java and trying to run the game. (Why don't you have java, mang, how the hell will you play Wurm Online?!)

EE: Huh, I uninstalled java runtimes and the game still works for me. Hmmmmm.

EEE: Has anyone gotten the game to work on their computer? I know it runs for me on both my desktop and laptop, for Ziggy Starfucker, and for Mihai Zetta, so I'm wondering if this is just an issue Buffis is having or if there's some weird thing that somehow four of our computers have that nobody else's does.

EEEE: So I'm getting reports back that people can get the game to run on their computer so I don't know what to tell you, Buffis, but I will keep looking into it!

EEEEE: Micro reviews!

Chill Day by Team Porkchop Express

Interesting concept, though I feel execution could have been better. Since you have to replay it multiple times to find optimal combinations, there could have been more done like having the character move through successive "levels" as the player figures out what the character considers to be most chill. Still, it's not a bad start and it reminded me of how I enjoyed exploring the big shop area in Pokemon for the first time when I was nine years old.

I really liked the title menu graphic.

Chill Robot by Team Adorable Animals

Graphics are simple but effective. Fun concept that reminds me of some game I played on the NES when I was a kid whose name escapes me at the moment. The small window works as a gameplay mechanic. The game requires a lot of trial and error but it doesn't seem arbitrary or unfair.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 24, 2016

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

ALFbrot posted:

Played #Everest, made it to Green Boots Cave, dumped everything on top of Green Boots, took a selfie, stripped naked, and waited for death. I'm assuming this is the correct way to play!

Yes.

Oh yeah, was this you?
https://twitter.com/HashtagEverest/status/691482690953035776

I'll add screenshots to the awfuljams page soon and maybe some of Ziggy's hints from his post up there.

Also I uploaded a new version with some minor tweaks and bugfixes so if anybody wants that it can be had at http://slamfighter.com/download-everest

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 25, 2016

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

ALFbrot posted:

Yep! Any idea if it's actually possible to summit and then make it back down?

We balanced it so that you will almost certainly die in the Death Zone, but I suppose it's theoretically possible.

Oh yeah, looking at the twitter looks like a lot of people don't realize you can move the people around too! I should add a little note about that in our next build update.

Also, I didn't credit myself (hm, maybe I should?) but I voice femHelmer.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Jo posted:

:3: Aww thanks. I was (am) worried it would be way too short. I'd planned to add a ton of stuff including pushable objects and a longer level, but ran out of time. Glad you still had fun.

I finally remembered what it was -- it was Fisher-Price: Firehouse Rescue that it somehow reminded me of! Man I haven't thought of that game in ages. Thanks for somehow unearthing some deeply buried memory that my brain probably hasn't accessed since I was six or seven years old. I looked at a youtube video real quick and the games don't even look alike, although I see how the small viewing window in Firehouse Rescue similarly adds difficulty by obscuring the player's view of the full area.

I'm not quite done yet, but I made our game's page a bit nicer:
http://www.awfuljams.com/little-awful-2016/games/hashtag-everest

More importantly I put up image credits and made the game assets we sourced from photos available for anyone to use. You can check 'em out here: http://slamfighter.com/everest-image-credits/

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Mastigophoran posted:

Any other ideas what it might be, I didn't had any problems with #Everest, which I guess is also an XNA game. The two binaries they encourage you to have (XNA and .net 4 both seem content that they are installed)

To confirm: #Everest is indeed an XNA game.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Micro review! The View down Cold Firgun

This is the closest any game has ever come to replicating my actual experiences of staring at the ceiling after dropping a couple of tabs of acid. 10/10 would trip again.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Yo if any of ya'll are in NYC and have :10bux: to spare, go to the Playcrafting NYC expo today. You can meet Michael A. Zekas, Voiceover Talent and play #Everest and Slam Fighter II there. Perfect if you can't get the runtimes to work, have a mac, or want to take a selfie with an IRL anime protagonist. :japan:

EDIT: and I also made a new build with ~screen shake~! http://slamfighter.com/download

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 29, 2016

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Looking forward to your #Everest trip report and also to seeing your selfies. I'm wondering which goon is responsible for this one:

https://twitter.com/HashtagEverest/status/693621770524323840

E: looking at the twitter account it seems that nobody understands that you get points by taking pictures with dumb bullshit. The game tells you that this is how you're scored multiple times, albeit in an "in-universe" way. In the next build I think I'm going to just have a massive block of text show up at the start that the user will have to dismiss that says "YOU ARE TRYING TO GET A HIGH SCORE. DUMB BULLSHIT IN PICTURES GETS YOU A HIGHER SCORE."

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 1, 2016

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Aw sweet! Site is back up so I can make sure our game's objective and scoring system now appears twice on our game page instead of just once as it did previously. I'm also gonna upload an update to our game tonight that has a few major improvements, namely, the objective and scoring system is going to be stated in at least four places.

Those of you who played #Everest, was it really unclear what you were supposed to be doing? Or is it just the people who have been posting through the game to @HashtagEverest have been missing the point/not giving a poo poo? I mean even in the version of the game submitted to the judges the scoring system is stated explicitly in the voiceover and you can tell throughout the game how many points each photo got you by the number of likes you get in your "push messages." This is starting to make me seriously depressed. :smith:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

poemdexter posted:

I ain't got time to be lugging stereos up a mountain!

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks for playing our game. Still, your post provoked this thought: If the scoring system was clear that's like saying you don't have time to score goals while playing soccer. :psyduck:

The game ends when you die so gameplay involves trying to get the highest score possible before you bite it. Straight-up summiting will not get you a particularly high score compared with hauling dumb crap. That's where complexity enters the gameplay - if you load up with all the survival gear you can carry, summiting is not that hard. But if you want to maximize your score, you'll have to make some sacrifices. (need dumb poo poo to get high score, need survival gear to make it to next opportunity to use dumb poo poo) without that component of gameplay, our game isn't particularly compelling (anyone can make a straight-up survival sim!) and that's part of why I'm trying to figure out how best to communicate the game's objective to the player.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

poemdexter posted:

Yah I totally get that, but it sounds like you don't like people who do speed runs because they break sequences and glitch and skip content. :psyduck:

Nah, your post even before edit made me feel better because I finally was able to chill and say "OK, the objective is clear." People who do speed runs are OK because they know very well what the purpose of the game is, they've just made their own gameplay objective, as you said. Part of what caused my anxiety was it looked like 90% of people playing our game (based on the twitter feed anyway) didn't even get what the intended objective was, which means there was a design flaw on our part.

If you liked the title music, give this a shot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-TZtmicJpDTYlRzVjFLU1pTUGM/view?usp=sharing

Can't put it in our game since the backing track (a pitch-shifted Incalzando by enV) doesn't belong to us, but it sure is fun, isn't it?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

ALFbrot posted:

I think the issue is more that the objective to get an obscurely-determined amount of points based on a seemingly arbitrary selfie system just isn't as compelling when put against one of the single most difficult and dangerous achievements the human race has ever attempted.

I think one thing we should look at in future revisions is providing more background on what caused us, the developers, to have the attitude we did about summiting, which is actually that these days you can hire sherpas to haul your rear end up the mountain and death is mainly due to bad luck, inexperience, or some combination thereof. (All the mountain hipsters say K2 is way better -- it's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it.) I realize that we should have done more to share our opinion of the average rich jerk with no mountaineering experience's summit bid with the player.

I'm thinking also that in future revisions the player should be able to see a running total of their score so that the score seems less arbitrary (the scoring system is actually rather straightforward!)

ALFbrot posted:

When the design allows you to make an honest effort against impossible odds, it's more tempting to do that than to load up with junk (most of which would be more appealing if the development cycle was longer and real textures could be implemented, instead of just question blocks [unless this is a bug and only my copy showed ? for half of the goofy items]) and die after playing with Colorforms for a bit.

Nope, not a bug, unfortunately [details best saved for official post-mortem] meant we didn't finish as many assets as we'd planned. Very very legit criticism.

ALFbrot posted:

Add to that the design elements that seem to challenge you to make it further (teammate death, health status effects that can be healed with rest/proper packing, etc), and everything seems to be pointing "go up the mountain" except for a few numbers and occasional voiceovers. The first voiceover, by the by, reinforces your need to advance to camp as quickly as possible.

I think part of it is, for me and my other teammates, we already know the optimal gear for surviving, so at this point the challenge really is in getting the highest possible score, so from our POV, not taking the dumb poo poo is basically playing on easy mode. So I'm seeing part of the issue is that until people figure out how to survive in the first place, the high score aspect seems less compelling. My conclusion would then be, if the game is fun enough to have people return to it multiple times in order to perfect their playthroughs, then perhaps everything is good. But if it isn't fun enough to prompt multiple summit bids then maybe we should make the survival component easier. Does that seem about right?

As you may have seen, our original inspiration was Oregon Trail, which also gives you a score. I must have played through hundreds of times in Elementary school, trying to get the highest score to beat my friends and trying to figure out optimal pregame inventory selections. So part of the reason why we didn't spell everything out was that we were hoping to recapture that desire to experiment and maximize the result, but that counts on our players having the mentality of an eight-year-old at lunch time.

ALFbrot posted:

Maybe, if you could change poses or meaningfully interact with your weird pack-ins in some way, the selfie points would become more compelling or fun. As it is, most of the fun was in seeing the options on the pack screen. edit: Maybe some kind of social media thermometer, or a system where more likes means more motivation, which could power you through your sunburn or dysentery.

Both great ideas for future revisions.

ALFbrot posted:

Maybe a scripted twitter feed where you actually see responses to your journey cool or improve based on your selfie game?

Brostragram! Ahhh mann, this was a thing we had to scope out to make it in time for the jam, but we even have a Brostagram social media icon asset! Procedurally generated Brostagram feed WILL be arriving in a future revision.

ALFbrot posted:

I'm sorry I played your game wrong, but I still enjoyed it!

Thanks for the feedback, it's really good to get constructive criticism from someone outside the team, particularly since the feedback I got from the one playtester I was able to rope into service wasn't very encouraging.

(that's one of my IRL friends)

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

ALFbrot posted:

But don't you only get/record the score in Oregon Trail if you manage to complete the journey? The challenge, then, becomes to balance your resources to up the difficulty while still making it to the end in one piece. #Everest plays a little more like if Oregon Trail was scored like it was okay that you died by Independence Rock, as long as you kicked butt in the Native American dating sim mini-game.

That's a good point and one where borrowing so much from a familiar game probably hurt us. My line of thought as the ~writer~ was "in the mind of the main character, what good is summiting if the world doesn't pay attention?" but you and the other folks providing helpful feedback are absolutely right, that is not what the player is going to be thinking while playing the game the way it is now. Perversely, unlike in Oregon Trail, teammate survival has no effect on score. This was by design - the main character doesn't give five shits about them except as porters for his/her stuff, as evinced by his/her lines when someone dies or is abandoned. ("Andy! He's gone...! Should I post about it now or wait until I get back?")

So now my thought is - do I make these mechanics more clear up front, change the mechanics, or leave as-is? My thought at the moment is to make the mechanics clearer up front but that might just be stubbornness. I will have to mull it all over.

quote:

Again, it was a really solid experience (Oregon Trail is a solid base, after all), with a lot of really cool polish and feel (loved the sound and music design, particularly when you carry on longer/reach higher and things get a little weird),

Thanks! Inspirations included An Video Game and Eternal Darkness. Michael is amazing as a total lunatic (his acting is alright too I guess. :v:) As far as the music goes, our composer is fuckin' amazing and actually managed to do the bulk of the music for our game while also on a road trip. /gushing.

quote:

I just don't think the selfie aspect feels as central as your team had hoped.

edit: Also, maybe I'm just really terrible at the game, but it feels like group death is inevitable, even when you do pack for "easy mode," which spurs you to play smarter.

Take five water bottles and five packs of food per person, one tent for the whole party, equip on yourself what everyone else has equipped, make sure nobody has more than 150lbs of equipment, don't travel at night or during blizzards, don't stay in photo mode for more than a few minutes, leave each landmark with full stamina, don't cut lines, and you should reach the peak with a full or near full party. More stuff would cover even more risks, like sunscreen, the med kit for small wounds, water treatment for if you run out of water, spare tent, and so on.

quote:

If I'd reached the summit with a full healthy team and then got a message like "you made it, trash is everywhere, the world yawns and doesn't care" then I might be spurred to do stranger runs to increase the response

That's not a bad idea at all.

This has all been very very helpful, (invaluable, actually) thank you and everyone else who provided feedback. I think the main way forward is to integrate the selfie gameplay component more with the rest of the gameplay (having it affect the ending you get and/or party morale) and making the competitive aspect of the game more front and center (yeah you can check your score against everyone else who has posted it but you have to seek that; the game doesn't automatically serve it to you. I learned Twitter's API specifically for this project so I don't know it too well yet but I'm pretty sure I could have the game fetch the data to construct a "leaderboard" of sorts.)

Other question: the main character's motive for doing all the stuff they do in the game comes out as you play, particularly after you hit the Death Zone and they go nuts from hypoxia and probably the emergence of preexisting psychosis. Would being more straightforward about this character's history and motives have made the game better/more clear?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
When will we have a schedule for the Gong show?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Unfortunately I missed most of the gong show -- including the first part of when #Everest was being played. How soon will it be on youtube?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Afal posted:

No one (as far as I can tell) went for the "best image of something that has helped you finish the jam game during crunch time (in honour of jon blow's piss jug)" bounty so uh... skip this one?

Well since I'm already the person posting "selfies" (even though I only posted one :v:) I will claim this prize for Team Dogpit.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Whew finally got to watch the twitch stream in full! I'm thrilled that the judges had a great time with our game, particularly after they seemed to have a hard time with Slam Fighter II (learning experience - the public build now has a latency calibration wizard!)

Wanted to give some shoutouts to my amazing team since the in-game credits and the awfuljams page isn't specific about who did what.

First off - mad props to Logan McPhillips (whichever of you that is) for coming through with some emergency voice acting as an experienced mountaineer who eventually morphs into a wizard in the main character's fevered brain. This guy's performance and credit is in the most recent public build; unfortunately I hosed up implementing it in the judged version so it wasn't audible during the gong show.

Ziggy Starfucker did the game engine, designed the gameplay mechanics, and implemented all the logic. All the UI stuff was him. Textboxes, hover menus, everything. awesome color-changing mountain -- he did all the lerping. He also came up with all of the world record titles you see at the end and most of the push messages.

Screaming Color did all of the music except the title/end theme and once again it's simply incredible. Cute touch - he ran the exe of the game through some sort of algorithm to make the distorted crunch you hear at the start of the death zone theme. You can also hear his voice in the looping theme you hear in the midgame. You may recognize it as the voice of Tatsufumi, the main character of Slam Fighter II!

Michael A. Zekas Voiceover Talent turned out a fuckin' masterful performance as the male player character (which was also a shitload of lines to get done on the quick for a game jam, bearing in mind that not only did he have to record his lines but process them for use in the game too.) he also did audio engineering magic on my performance and sang the title track. My favorite contribution of his, however, was mixing the track that plays when you die which was 100% his brilliant (and demented) idea.

megane did the mountain and all its color variants, the backgrounds used for the parallax scrolling, the little climber sprites (we actually have tons more animations for those we hope to implement in the Valentine's Day release) and also some of the best inventory items - the Rammstein CD, the ice axe, the garden gnome, the airhorn, the katana, the oxygen bottle, and most of the ones from photographs (all made in during a last minute rush to have more poo poo by the deadline!) really amazing work all around.

Looking at the photos on Twitter, Mihai Zetta, made the most popular inventory item sprites. He did quite a few, but his greatest hits are the shutter shades, the umbrella, the mustache, and the :siren: Dragon Dildo :siren: which, I must add, was entirely his idea. I had to be talked into it but it looks like it's probably the most beloved item in the entire game! :v: he also designed the title screen slides and was our lead QA.

Henrik Ibsen wrote the dialogue between the main character and their ex. OK I abridged and modernized it, but credit where credit is due! If you liked it, you can read the original at Project Gutenberg. I tell ya, this guy is good. I think he's going places.

As for me, I did a little bit of everything. I mixed and sang on the title track, voiced the female player character, made most of the art assets, wrote the script and most of the item descriptions, and did development on top of that. Oh and most importantly the awfuljams page!

I think the main thing that helped us get so much accomplished is that Ziggy and I live together and we've both met everybody on the team in person (except megane; working on that.) Being tight with everybody on the team IRL kept us accountable to each other (also allowed game jam pizza parties.)

So, note on the music! This weekend Screaming Color finally released the Slam Fighter II soundtrack album, which you can get for free here: http://slamfighter.com/music It includes the first looping theme from #Everest as a bonus track. Fun note also, the song Michael and I sing as the title track in #Everest was something we'd been meaning to get around to FOREVER for the Slam Fighter album so the jam finally gave us the kick in the rear end to get that poo poo done and recorded, so you can actually hear a nicer version (we went back and recorded completely new vocals after the jam) on track 5 of the Slam Fighter II album.

So yeah we'd been meaning to get around to Dragostea din Tei as a joke track on the album for our Romanian character but I realized that it totally worked as the theme to #Everest too - not just for the lyrics but also for its association with fleeting Internet fame.

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah Death Zone is hardcore yo. It is possible to reach green boots cave (I can see on Twitter it's been done a few times) but we made it an achievement worth bragging about on the Internet. :haw:

Afal posted:

#Everest - First time I played I was 65% up the mountain until I realised I could have put a lot more items in other character's backpacks. Would have been cool to put the first dragon dildo on everest. I thought the score multiplier was "[number of stupid bullshit in picutre] * [everest height climbed]" so naturally I thought I'd max my score by sending a team with backpacks full of dragon dildos to the top. I still haven't been able to do this.

The score is the aggregate points from the highest scoring photo from each landmark. Each photo from a landmark gets a base number of points from the landmark itself, then the points from the items you had in shot. Most of the useful items are only worth one whereas most of the junk items are worth 100 or more. (need to check but I believe the items also need to be unique since I think we just iterate through the list of items with a foreach and see if the photo window has the item as a true/false without counting how many there are. In the build we release on Valentine's Day I think I'll try to rig it so that you get diminishing returns for each additional item of the same type.) Anything your character has equipped will be counted so you don't need to drag that into the photo.

Wow that got long and that's not even the post mortem!

E:

JonTerp posted:

*Polar Adventure
    *Llama goes to Market
    *Beach Maygpis
    *Chateau de Feu
    *Cool Down My Face
    *Kesha Was Bird
    *Catfishin' and Chill
    *Average Joe
    *Chill Out
    *Hashtag Everest

WHOA congrats everybody!!

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Still seeking out the best :iceburn:, feel free to self-nominate! Glad the video got divvied up by game; I'll be hunting down the winner of my bounty that way as well.

Tryin' to think of a good post-mortem to write about our game. In lieu of that for now, please enjoy this peek behind the scenes:

We've also got a build coming out on Valentine's day that's got a bunch of improvements and stuff because basically we totally overscoped and have shitloads of stuff just waiting to get implemented. So stay tuned for that.

• Locked thread