Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I participated in the last two SAGDCs and loved the heck out of it, but don't know if I'll have time for this one.

I started writing this post then re-downloaded and installed GMS so I guess I'm gonna do my best to submit something. Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Takanago posted:

This is just a quick little placeholder, but part of me actually wants to keep the guy

You could make it a game where everything HeroBoxTM touches turns to that ANIME texture a la De Blob. Go around painting the town ANIME, with that cold smile, all the townspeople wondering why and having no power over your actions, questioning the point of it all.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Amazing.

I've decided what I'm going to do. It's going to be weird and focus almost entirely on narrative. Hopefully I'm not a horrible writer.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
It seems I've turned this gamejam into an excuse to do a bunch of stuff I have little or no experience with. I'm painting in photoshop, making an ambient soundtrack in audacity and writing buttloads of text. It's fun and exciting, but who knows if I'll be able to cobble it all together well enough for a decent experience. I remain hopeful.

That being said I need a break from writing so I'm going to write out what I'm doing so I can make sense of it to myself at least. My game is narrative focused, having the player control some parameters to maintain a sort of equilibrium. The point of my game is to last long enough to get to the end so that the story gets delivered in it's entirety. The delivery mechanism is everyone's favourite game-thing: audiologs! There isn't any environmental exploration, just milestones to reach, but I'm planning to have the control of these mechanisms become more and more difficult to maintain.

If I can manage it I hope to implement consequences for deviating from said equilibrium visually and audibly (messing up the audiologs for instance so there's motivation to stay focused). I think the plot is good enough to keep people's attention, though when I came up with some of the most important plot points this morning I realized I was unintentionally writing something similar to a relatively popular piece of media and had to rethink a whole bunch of stuff.

Here's an unfinished version of what will probably become the background for my title screen! For some reason after uploading on imgur it's really very blue on my screen. I have no clue why. It's not blue I swear.

Giggs fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 11, 2016

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Alright well, since taking a break this afternoon I didn't get around to much and I have yet to even open Game Maker but heck, painting is really fun.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
That sounds real lovely, hope you get better Elentor!

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

gamejaaaaaam

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Progress has been significantly slowed because I forgot Europa is the smoothest solid object in the solar system. Stupid dumb idiot moon.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
It took me like three hours to finish the shading on your lower Jupiter.

I realized that I have to paint then animate the player character as well, which is going to take probably more time than is acceptable. Also some sort of intro cut-scene.
I also haven't finished writing the story or the music or anything, really.

Gamejam!

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
For some reason I thought we had until the end of Friday, probably shoulda double checked that at some point.

I'll keep working with what time is left, but looks like I'll get to have the honour of my first Wall of Shame appearance. Can't wait to see everyone's games though! There's a lot of exciting stuff!

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Well I submitted my game, link at end of post there. I was really stoked on my idea but didn't end up having time to do some of the stuff I wanted to, and as such I'm a bit disappointed. It's a story game, and the story gets told, so that's nice, but there's a lot of polish I wanted to put into it and just completely threw that out the window.

I'm going to go do things to not think about it right now. Tomorrow I'm really looking forward to playing everyone's games though, so that'll be great!

Afal posted:

If any of you used GameMaker and don't have professional could you tell me please?

My game KIP-PL3 was made with GM too.

edit: here's my selfie. I made the mask for halloween. It has its uses.

Giggs fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 23, 2016

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I wrote a post-mortem for my game KIP-PL3 here where I talk about how the various aspects didn't end up coming together for my game in the ways I was hoping. I might add a bit more tonight when I get home.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Mastigophoran posted:

I liked your game and enjoyed reading your post mortem, so, thanks for doing both of those things!

I really appreciate your kind words. Thank you so much.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I haven't had much free time to play the games but watching what I could of day 1 of the Gong Show was a good time. So many cool looking games. I even stopped watching for short periods to check a couple out and was super pleased.

I was really excited to get more feedback on my game until Jon mentioned it was next and then I got anxious and closed the browser and left the room.
Can't wait to watch the archive of that part tomorrow!

Afal posted:

KIP-PL3 - This game is an endurance run. I keep dying regardless of how on top I keep the little micromanaging there is (all 2 of them).

Thanks for giving it a go! I'll have to check the submitted build to see if I accidentally made it harder than it was earlier in development, which may easily have happened without me noticing. I was hoping that the mechanics would be just easy enough to manage while you zone out and listen to a robot-voice tell you a story.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Imajus posted:

It does not force you to use a splash screen. You can turn it off in the "Global Game Settings." Thanks for offering so many bounties, that's awesome btw.

I think you can change the setting but unless you have a professional/educational license it shows it anyways. I could test that theory but I am too lazy right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

JonTerp posted:

*Polar Adventure
    *Llama goes to Market
    *Beach Maygpis
    *Chateau de Feu
    *Cool Down My Face
    *Kesha Was Bird
    *Catfishin' and Chill
    *Average Joe
    *Chill Out
    *Hashtag Everest

Congrats to the finalists! This jam was what I can only describe as "ballin' ", especially considering both the quality and quantity of games submitted. Everybody did a good-rear end job and you should all feel good-rear end.

• Locked thread