Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
here is the progress I made so far:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Here is my progress so far. I'm going to work on a hunting minigame tomorrow.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Hey folks, if there are any art people out there who aren't already working on something I could use some sprites for the game I'm working on for the jam. I'm making an oregon trail ripoff where you play as a penguin, and I've been able to get by with programmer art for the most part, but there are certain parts that I am too terrible at art for.

In Oregon Trail, you move forward until you hit various destinations like rivers or forts. I'm going to need both smaller icon type sprites as well as larger "full screen" sprites for the different destinations.
The "icon" type sprites look like this:

and the larger ones look like this:

I have quite a bit of the functionality of the game done, but I haven't really settled on locations yet aside from "the north pole" and "a mound of snow" so I'm open to pretty much anything destination-wise. The game will span the globe, roughly like this:

so it'll need at least some water locations and some land locations, possibly specific locations roughly on that line (although the line doesn't need to be straight, and could definitely deviate as much as the whole planet if we wanted).

I'm also going to do at least one hunting minigame, so it'll probably need some creatures to shoot at (and/or swim at and eat when over water?) at some point as well.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

iSurrender posted:

Sprawling, unstructured progress full of internal static everythings, making a mockery of all that is good design, but progress nonetheless.

I've never done a game jam because I've always been busy when they came around, but I'm really enjoying the fact that I can cut corners in a jam game and feel justified because of the time limit :v:

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Ok, here is my progress so far. Spoiler alert (judges don't click).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Antifreeze Head posted:

You can get some decent results by taking photos and running them through Photoshop to make them look like pixel art.

http://www.shutterstock.com/blog/how-to-turn-any-photograph-into-pixel-art-with-photoshop

If that is the route you want to go, there are no shortages of public domain images that exist that can assist. If you need something specific, sent me a PM. I'm in Canada and we currently have an abundance of snow and so long as it doesn't require a camera fancier than my phone, I can probably get it for you. I can do some generic wintery sounds (crunching snow, wind, others?) too.

If you're looking for locations as you circumnavigate the globe longitudinally, stopping at the so-far-undiscovered resting place of the HMS Terror is an interesting option as something to do as you head towards the north pole. Hans Island is also fun, nobody really knows if it belongs to Denmark or Canada and the countries take turns leaving bottles of booze on the speck of an island as a means of claiming it. Robert Falcon Scott is a name you'll want to look at if you haven't already decided on who you want for the "peperony and chease" moment.

Good stuff, thanks.

• Locked thread