Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Ahhh we just made a game for the Steamgoon Holiday Contest. No idea if I can get the guys to jump into another jam this soon but maybe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

That Gobbo posted:

Picked up a Gear VR recently so I'm interested in trying out making something for it. I'm guessing judging might be kind of difficult?

Our past two submissions had VR support, but I'm pretty sure nobody actually tried either. We did it as something for ourselves to enjoy, but I wouldn't recommend it as something you want your game to be judged on.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

'Chill' can also lead to a horror game.

Trivial could be fun, but I would expect all the games to be, well, trivial to complete.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

We're giving things a go, for now a lot of Blender work. We wanted to do the Unity 3D thing we usually do, but let the players interact with objects in a room. Messed around with this Javascript implimentation, ported it to C# and managed to make a tower of cups to knock over. Also have some neat shader-switching stuff going on to highlight objects you can use.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

I seem to have made a pencil that can draw in thin air.

Now I need to consider turning it into a paintbrush with different colors...

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

I've got some really cool stuff going on with Interfaces. I've created an IUsable interface that I can include in any script. Pop it onto an object and bam, that object highlights when you look at it, and lets you click it to do a thing.

On the side, we're trying to understand Unity GI, all our games end up looking the same, and I'm pretty sure it's because we haven't delved into this stuff yet.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

My experiments with lighting were mostly a success (I still don't think GI is working correctly, but I digress). Things are looking pretty good, now I just need to fill up the room with models. Getting lots and lots of practice with Blender. Also having a hell of a time making good metallic surfaces with the Unity Standard Shader

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

I'm really impressed at the results we're seeing playing with lighting. 33 models down, a number to go. If nothing else, this will be the best looking game we've made.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 15, 2016

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Just about done with the game. Everything past this point is polish. Want to make a nice intro scene which might take some time, but it would be nice to get a public build out soon.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

http://i.imgur.com/OdC3fZh.webm

Public beta for our game Chill Out.
Welcome to new heights in relaxation simulation.

Very interested in hearing any opinions, haven't had anyone test yet.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 21, 2016

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Doom Goon posted:

Oh man, it's embarrassing how much that game is up my alley. I know it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but that didn't stop me from trying everything a million different ways. It hit the sweet spot for me of being a legit chill game, having an underlying goal to it, and being pretty funny as well. I did run into some bugs I thought I'd mention, though!

Thank you so much for the input, it's very appreciated. Also thank you for appropriate use of spoilers. Glad you enjoyed the experience!

I'm assuming the poster you ran through was the one with the safe behind it? Any chance you throwing around the keycard clipped the safe? If the card is used to open the safe, it becomes no longer usable. Here's our to-do over the next two days to see what we can clean up, I've noted the things you ran into:

-Disable down button on elevator in New Game +
-Can click the call door button through the vault. Can click it multiple times, leading to locking yourself out of the elevator.
-Enable key shadow on lower graphics
-Increase box on silver key, potentially bring up floor collision box, add another layer of colliders around room especially around wall with safe
-Make it clearer when key attempt failed
-Esc should pull up an options screen with FOV, mouse sensitivity, credits, and quit button, rather than quitting directly
-Grow/Shrink pencil size with Q/E, remove texture
-Seem to be able to use keycard through poster, something potentially to be fixed. Touch up hinge weight on poster, one user couldn't peel off wall easily enough.
-Cabinet doors should not push character around, look into decreasing weight of doors
-One user noted TV seems to come 'only out the right', check 3D balancing

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

New build, I believe I fixed every issue you mentioned and an options screen.

Update features a new and improved drawing functionality

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 21, 2016

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Well, with an extra day I can confirm that Chill Out will be our third SAGD entry to feature VR

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Manslaughter posted:

Can I get a couple people to try mine before uploading it to the official page? Windows only, you need directX.

download (little less than 17MB)

Also, how do I add people to my team on the site? Can't find a way to edit team members.

Seems some of the keyboard controls are weird, I had to hit escape use the menu.

Couldn't beat the first level with the blob, couldn't figure out a solution that would let me press the button and still be able to jump to the third floor

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 22, 2016

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Kesha Was Bird is... interesting. no idea what to do once I get the code, entering 23 (or 39 if you ignore order of operations) doesn't seem to do anything, nor does calling any of the numbers

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Joe Noire was great and everyone should check it out.

Games with no link on the website:
Death is Eternal

Games with no link on the site or in the thread that I can tell:
A Moderate and Reasonable Sloth
The View down the Cold Firgun (itch.io page is down)
Hashtag Everest

Notable bugs I've ran into:
Netflix and Chill Man: Can't select Pulp Fiction, selecting either of the other two movies and she immediately peaces out to her home planet.
Cardinal Die-rection: At higher resolutions the play button's buried beneath the snow and can't get clicked, figured it out by watching the video Hammer Bro. posted and ran it windowed

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 23, 2016

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Xibanya posted:

Chill Out - seems more a demo than a game, but I liked the music!

Hammer Bro. posted:

Primal Thoughts
  • Neat little romp that I was sad to be prematurely taken away from (Bronze IV was calling), but it's also good that I didn't actually get my fill because as soon as I'd hit the boredom point I doubt I would've remembered the game as fondly.

:allears: p.s. Hammer, you can click and drag to do things like play with the drinking bird, newton's cradle, tennis ball....

While I do hope this doesn't happen to the person who judges our game, it's nice to see our subtlety had its intended effect. For those who think they're done with Chill Out, you may want to take a second look.

A lot of work and optimization went into that drawing tool, I'd love to see some creations. Here's my own:

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 24, 2016

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Giggs posted:

I wrote a post-mortem for my game KIP-PL3 here where I talk about how the various aspects didn't end up coming together for my game in the ways I was hoping. I might add a bit more tonight when I get home.

I have some spoilers I would like to add to our page and I'm really digging the collapsible area you use for this. Would you mind cluing me in on the markdown necessary to have a collapsible box?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Mastigophoran posted:

It isn't a markdown thing; they're using the post mortem part of the edit form, which becomes available a while after the jam ends. You should have access to it when you edit your game page.

Oh awesome, I had no idea that's how it worked.

Chill Out now has a Post Mortem with spoilers on the game if anyone hasn't figured things out by now

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 4, 2016

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Mastigophoran posted:

I didn't know either for Octojam II and was quite surprised when I saw it since it seemed like everyone was talking about it like obviously it was a thing. But yeah it's pretty cool! I'll go have a read of your post mortem now!

edit just wanted to let you know I read it and that it was indeed interesting! I also got stuck on the laptop, but, I knew about the drag mechanic that people missed from having read the thread. I actually just straight up didn't realise what it was. It was so thin I thought it was just like a mat or something, I don't even know.

I added a bit to the end of the post mortem about the story we were aiming for. You're not the only one who missed the laptop. Doing this again, I would start with the laptop open, showing the Windows screen from the start, and the cat videos would be a hidden feature if players closed and opened the laptop. The work I did making a 'generic' laptop also made it difficult to tell just what the hell it was.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Very cool! Didn't have to worry about campaigning for votes last time we were on the community choice, makes things a bit harder for the smaller groups. Congratulations to all those nominated.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Congratulations team Llama!

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

We opened up the box of merch today, and I wanted to thank all of the judges again for putting together these jams. The win encouraged me enough to shoot off a few e-mails about Chill Out, one of which to Valve mentioning that the team would love to take this concept further into VR with proper VR controllers. Today we got back an e-mail extending the opportunity to work with the Vive. We're very excited to explore some of our ideas with the tech (this is our third Awful Jam entry to support VR) and again wanted to thank you for the prodding to get off our butts and make a game.

• Locked thread