Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Hey goones, I'm thinking about getting into heroclix because I am a giant nerd, and it's kinda cheap to start + I love the characters already.

I live in Madrid and there seems to be a healthy community.

My question is, which starters should I look out for? There's a dude selling the Avengers Movie starter but that seems pretty old. He also has the AvX x-men starter (is this a thing or is he unclear and selling something else?) And the hobbit starter. I'm hitting a few stores after payday to see what I can find, too.

Or should I just buy a few single pieces first and wait for a future starter/forget about it?

I think they are finally putting out a new rule book and starter sometime this year so I would wait for that. In the meantime just nab pieces that look cool or ask us what works and we'll help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Hey goones, I'm thinking about getting into heroclix because I am a giant nerd, and it's kinda cheap to start + I love the characters already.

I live in Madrid and there seems to be a healthy community.

My question is, which starters should I look out for? There's a dude selling the Avengers Movie starter but that seems pretty old. He also has the AvX x-men starter (is this a thing or is he unclear and selling something else?) And the hobbit starter. I'm hitting a few stores after payday to see what I can find, too.

Or should I just buy a few single pieces first and wait for a future starter/forget about it?
You can pick up CUR (everything but the super-rares and chases) sets of past releases for reasonable prices on eBay. Or, if you're willing to shell out a bit more for a start, save up and get a brick of World's Finest when it comes out in like two weeks, because that's starting to look like a real power set.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well I'm not much of a fan of DC all in all, but I might join a release sealed tournament (and get my rear end kicked) that's going to happen in two weeks and grab a couple of boosters that way and maybe win a raffle or something.

My only problem with buying random CURs (is that for common, uncommon and rare?) is that I wouldn't have a map or enough pieces to maybe try and convince friends to join the vice, or just play a bit before our rpg sessions.

Also, is there a site I can check the prices for single pieces/old packs? For instance there's a guy selling Fast Forces Chaos War for 40€ and the Invincible set (big fan!) for 20, not sure if those are good prices or not!

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Anyone know the best place to order heroclix in the UK? I'm going to be buying TMNT stuff - fairly sure the starter set will be easy enough to get a hold of but if I want to order a case it looks like i'm at the mercy of ebay/retail price.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Well I'm not much of a fan of DC all in all, but I might join a release sealed tournament (and get my rear end kicked) that's going to happen in two weeks and grab a couple of boosters that way and maybe win a raffle or something.

My only problem with buying random CURs (is that for common, uncommon and rare?) is that I wouldn't have a map or enough pieces to maybe try and convince friends to join the vice, or just play a bit before our rpg sessions.

Also, is there a site I can check the prices for single pieces/old packs? For instance there's a guy selling Fast Forces Chaos War for 40€ and the Invincible set (big fan!) for 20, not sure if those are good prices or not!

Step 1: Decide how much you want to spend on this hobby, because it can very easily get expensive.
Step 2: Find a way to store/organize this stuff for now. Get a tackle box or some such to store pieces and cards, and get a little traveling thing to take to venues when you play.
Step 3: Pick up a good starter with maps, tokens, and whatnot to get started - the Guardians of the Galaxy starter is a great one. If you can't find it in a local shop, pick it up here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-6-Figure-HEROCLIX-Starter-Set-/272040645510. It retailed for $24.99 in the US (I think, around there), and became hard to find, so think about whether the price is reasonable to you there in Euros.
Step 4: Read this thread, watch YouTube videos of Married with Clix, and play a lot, and ask questions. You'll lose, but as long as you have fun, play the pieces you like, and learn how to play, so what? You'll get better with time.

Edit: The Chaos War set is a bit older, and some of the pieces may not be as competitive. Stick to buying recent/new pieces that interest you, and buy whatever singles look fun - but don't make big investments until you learn about what's competitive and so forth before forking over a lot of money for older sets.

Edit 2: Invincible - do you mean Invincible Iron Man? If you mean Invincible based on the book called Invincible, that set is from 2006, and is quite old - they don't even come with stat cards. The pieces aren't terrible for being a decade old, but probably not something you can play often competitively. If you can get a sealed set in the box for around $15-20 US, that should be reasonable.

Red fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 27, 2016

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

MrFlibble posted:

Anyone know the best place to order heroclix in the UK? I'm going to be buying TMNT stuff - fairly sure the starter set will be easy enough to get a hold of but if I want to order a case it looks like i'm at the mercy of ebay/retail price.

I've used Blueratgames a few times in the past, they're cheaper than my local store for cases and fast forces. You have to email them for pre-orders usually though, they only put stuff up on the actual store closer to/at actual release, probably cause of the delays Europe always gets with Clix. Whereabouts are you if you don't mind me asking? Just always looking for other potential players haha.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

The Fast Forces set is pretty good if you like the characters in it, the Scarlet Witch was insane and drove the price up pretty high (so if that price is low for where you are then that could be worth it just for her and Mockingbird alone) and the Invincible set is very old now but if you really like the characters then that's probably worth it for casual play.

CUR sets will probably be the best way to go, as others have said, get a couple of those and you'll have multiple avengers, Xmen, street level heroes and villains of all stripes to get your friends into your new habit. Can get a few maps cheap off ebay or from a local store if there are any, then print off the tokens you need.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 27, 2016

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Red posted:

Step 1: Decide how much you want to spend on this hobby, because it can very easily get expensive.
Step 2: Find a way to store/organize this stuff for now. Get a tackle box or some such to store pieces and cards, and get a little traveling thing to take to venues when you play.
Step 3: Pick up a good starter with maps, tokens, and whatnot to get started - the Guardians of the Galaxy starter is a great one. If you can't find it in a local shop, pick it up here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-6-Figure-HEROCLIX-Starter-Set-/272040645510. It retailed for $24.99 in the US (I think, around there), and became hard to find, so think about whether the price is reasonable to you there in Euros.
Step 4: Read this thread, watch YouTube videos of Married with Clix, and play a lot, and ask questions. You'll lose, but as long as you have fun, play the pieces you like, and learn how to play, so what? You'll get better with time.

Edit: The Chaos War set is a bit older, and some of the pieces may not be as competitive. Stick to buying recent/new pieces that interest you, and buy whatever singles look fun - but don't make big investments until you learn about what's competitive and so forth before forking over a lot of money for older sets.

Alrighty, thanks for the advice! I'm not thinking about spending an awful lot, maybe one or two boosters a month once I get a team I like, plus any tourneys I decide to join and be cannon fodder of. Maybe 40€ for starters then a few here and there.

I just found a guy that's selling a bunch of single pieces and maps, so I might just grab a few that way. I'm guessing whatever is considered modern age is a bit more up-to-date with current power creep and mechanics and anything older I should leave for when I'm a bit more familiar with it?

Thanks for all the replies goons!

edit: and yeah it's Invincible from the Invincible universe, not Iron man.

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 27, 2016

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Alrighty, thanks for the advice! I'm not thinking about spending an awful lot, maybe one or two boosters a month once I get a team I like, plus any tourneys I decide to join and be cannon fodder of. Maybe 40€ for starters then a few here and there.

I just found a guy that's selling a bunch of single pieces and maps, so I might just grab a few that way. I'm guessing whatever is considered modern age is a bit more up-to-date with current power creep and mechanics and anything older I should leave for when I'm a bit more familiar with it?

Thanks for all the replies goons!

edit: and yeah it's Invincible from the Invincible universe, not Iron man.

I went out of my way a year or so ago to get an old Junkpile (but not the whole 2099 set), because he's a character I like, and it's a great sculpt. I rarely play him, and when I do, he's slow and useless - but I love the guy:

Probably not worth the $7 or $8 I paid at the time, but so what? :)

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

thebardyspoon posted:

I've used Blueratgames a few times in the past, they're cheaper than my local store for cases and fast forces. You have to email them for pre-orders usually though, they only put stuff up on the actual store closer to/at actual release, probably cause of the delays Europe always gets with Clix. Whereabouts are you if you don't mind me asking? Just always looking for other potential players haha.

Thanks, i'll hit them up close to release. I live in Swindon but am not really looking for games at the moment, it's been a while since I played, going to learn again with my brothers.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Starters should cost around $20-25, not 40. Don't get ripped off.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Red posted:

I went out of my way a year or so ago to get an old Junkpile (but not the whole 2099 set), because he's a character I like, and it's a great sculpt. I rarely play him, and when I do, he's slow and useless - but I love the guy:

Probably not worth the $7 or $8 I paid at the time, but so what? :)

Man, I really wished that guy was better. I tried to pair him with Doom 2099 a lot as MM fodder, but that fig isn't good, either. I eventually put a spare Doom 2099 sculpt on the meatsack Doom dial and enjoyed it much better.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Starters should cost around $20-25, not 40. Don't get ripped off.

This, but it's worth noting the MSRP on the AvX starters were $36.99, if I remember right.

Steve Vader posted:

Man, I really wished that guy was better. I tried to pair him with Doom 2099 a lot as MM fodder, but that fig isn't good, either. I eventually put a spare Doom 2099 sculpt on the meatsack Doom dial and enjoyed it much better.

There are ways to squeeze him for a bit more. I did okay carrying him with a prime Captain Marvel, and using a green sniper rifle. The 10 range skirts the lack of move and attack, and gives him some defense against Outwit.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Red posted:

This, but it's worth noting the MSRP on the AvX starters were $36.99, if I remember right.

Yeah, the AvX starters came with a map, dice, and a bunch of poker chips, so they were costed pretty high. Throw in the fact that they also had some pretty good figures (Cyclops, Emma, Spidey, and Thor, primarily), I can see the cost on those spiking a bit. I remember when the cost of a CW Scarlet Witch was crazy high- I think maybe 30 or so dollars just for her alone? I rarely go out of my way these days to procure high cost singles unless I desperately love the character (Absorbing Man and Titania duo are so, so fun) or a huge part of tactical play (Parallax is the worst that got).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

The Grammar Aryan posted:

Yeah, the AvX starters came with a map, dice, and a bunch of poker chips, so they were costed pretty high. Throw in the fact that they also had some pretty good figures (Cyclops, Emma, Spidey, and Thor, primarily), I can see the cost on those spiking a bit. I remember when the cost of a CW Scarlet Witch was crazy high- I think maybe 30 or so dollars just for her alone? I rarely go out of my way these days to procure high cost singles unless I desperately love the character (Absorbing Man and Titania duo are so, so fun) or a huge part of tactical play (Parallax is the worst that got).

The AvX starters had great stuff, so they were worth the price - so I'm not surprised the Guardians of the Galaxy starters are still so popular. It comes with great pieces, a map, dice, and objects/terrain. I think one local shop in NoVA still has 1 or 2.

If you attend enough OP events, they'll just give you maps to take home. But to get started, maps can be had on eBay for $4-6. Just Google Image Search the names of the ones listed on eBay that look interesting, to see the whole layout.

By the way, you'll see a lot of action tokens for sale - poker chips with comic book characters' faces on them. Many people use these, cheap poker chips, dice, or Gale Force 9 Heroclix action tokens (they look like tear drops with two sides).

I use:

WWE Chipz and MLB Chipz. The WWE brand is out of print, but still super easy to find on Amazon/eBay. MLB Chipz are at most sports card/comic shops, Target, K-Mart, and so on. Each pack of 4 runs $2.

Red fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 27, 2016

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Lot of World's Finest being spoiled, and God packs have returned, which I'm crossing my fingers I can pull one as the chases are some of the only things I care about in a set I otherwise find unexciting and with way too many Supermen, Batmen, and generics.

So for that Mind Control game I eschewed any MC at all and went with a movie accurate Suicide Squad:

FL Amanda Waller
LE Captain Boomerang
LE Deadshot
FL Harley Quinn @full
GSC Killer Croc

This team was really fun without feeling overpowered; round 1 I got spanked hard by an Outlaws team base, but it wouldn't have been so bad had I not hosed up positioning and forgot a crucial Perplex.

Round 2 vs a team featuring Dr Psycho and Superman Blue, this time I was saved by my opponent's inability to land his follow up attacks after Mind Controlling me, and Harley making every Super Senses. Deadshot slowly sniped the team down, but my MVP was Boomerang; Digger would hide behind Waller or Harley to make use of PD to get off some heavy EE strikes, and one time managed to have a Boomerang come back around after missing the first attack. The Flash set versions were good, but this is the Digger I remember from the comics.

Round 3 vs Engineer, Doctor, and Midnighter. He could vastly outreach me so I had to turtle a bit and bait him with Croc, who can definitely tank a bit. Eventually he took it and Engineer wandered too close; he didn't expect the 12 range from Deadshot as he began tearing into her, and by then Boomerang had gotten close enough to start landing hits as well. Doctor was shut down by Waller and Harley's dual Outwit and Midnighter got eaten by Croc.

As per usual, a fun Suicide Squad, easily one of the more entertaining themed teams to build nowadays.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

This site has map layouts. I should probably edit it into the second post.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Quadruple preview! Four Batmans, with a nifty trait that lets you shift between them as a free action, but no more than once a turn.

One of them has hyper-OOTS, one of them has a 12 attack, one of them has outwit that can last two turns and persist even if he shifts away, one is a standard ranged attacker who only looks bad compared to the other three.

Oh and they're 60 points.

mercy

one of my all time favourite figures was the DC10 batman who had a 12 attack for 63 points along with incap and outwit and for 3 fewer points these are close to being as good

are these in boosters or are they going to be a special pack?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

mercy

one of my all time favourite figures was the DC10 batman who had a 12 attack for 63 points along with incap and outwit and for 3 fewer points these are close to being as good

are these in boosters or are they going to be a special pack?

Boosters. Out of my 2 pre-release boosters I pulled all 4 shifting focus supermen. I was not the only one to do this either

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Winter storm delayed shipment of the WF boosters, so no pre-release tonight. :(

It sounds like most places are doing snake draft, but we're doing one booster of WF, and one of Trinity War.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Red posted:

Winter storm delayed shipment of the WF boosters, so no pre-release tonight. :(

It sounds like most places are doing snake draft, but we're doing one booster of WF, and one of Trinity War.

Same here, and three different venues are all doing a Saturday event, so I only get to go to one. Thankfully, I only really like playing at one of those places. They're also all doing BR format, which I'm fine with, especially since the place I'm choosing to go actually knows how to do a BR. Everybody else does last man standing, which means you play for two hours and the guy who turtles and lets everybody else KO things wins.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I guess this is what Civil War looks like:

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
Is a pre release a good way to get into Heroclix?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Roshambo posted:

Is a pre release a good way to get into Heroclix?
Better than most. Sealed events are always good because you're on an even footing with people with established collections, and a new set means nobody really knows the pieces yet. You're still gonna get whupped because you don't know what you're doing, but tell them you're a new player and people will generally be nice and walk you through your mistakes.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Ran my pre-release tonight. We had 13 players show up, and two cases, so we did a standard 2-booster tournament format. Someone did open a god booster, and we had three other chases pulled (two Lanterns, one Shazam), and no primes.

I was lucky enough to pull one of the KC Lanterns, and then was doubly-lucky that I was just the bye round, as his massive defense was missed all of three times the entire night. I ran him alongside Negative Man (who is a Poisonous beast who kept doing work all night) and Mr. Nobody (whose PC came in handy, but that was sadly about it).

Had two undefeated players at the end of the night. Oddly, the overall winner was running:
SR Batman
002 Superman
Etrigan

Not sure how it happened, but he took down the god pack team of Spectre and Shazam in the finals.

I think I like this set for sealed, which is good, since this will be the DC set used for conventions. Sadly, I also got the official confirmation that WizKids is 100% not showing up at Gen-Con this year. It's been 5 years since I've gone and NOT judged 'Clix... I don't know what to do with myself. I'm halfway tempted to just run a few tournaments, anyway.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Are the "god packs" like they were in Batman where it's all of the chases?

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

ManiacClown posted:

Are the "god packs" like they were in Batman where it's all of the chases?

Mostly. You get five of the six chases. Most reports I've seen indicate that Superman is the odd man out.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Mostly. You get five of the six chases. Most reports I've seen indicate that Superman is the odd man out.

I've heard that there is a second God Pack with all primes and superman. It's all hearsay though. Not seen a picture.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

So what does everything think of this set as a whole?

I think it looks pretty solid overall and it's pulling me back into the game, which is nice.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Hugoon Chavez and anyone else who's just getting in or anyone who missed out on War of Light: Y'all motherfuckers are in luck. Tonight only 4 people showed and the prize structure ended up being "holy crap, we need to clean out the storage room." I've now got the following spare prizes from War of Light along with an Avengers team base, an X-Men team base, 3 Straightjackets (with two extra cards), two or three Cosmic Control Rods (anyone have a Cosmic Treadmill?), one ID card each for Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, and the Scott Lang Ant-Man, a bare Millennium Stone, and a bare Phoenix Force, though I may try to put an LED in that to make it look even more awesome. My daughter especially loves that thing because it's a giant bird made of fire.
  • Rond Vidar x4
  • Guy Gardner x10
  • John Stewart x9
  • Jade x9
  • Kyle Rayner x14 :drat:
  • Simon Baz x23 :vince:
I haven't even counted the multitude of Constructs yet either, but I'd imagine they correspond more or less to the characters. If'n any of you are after any of this stuff, let me know. We can work something out. I also have a crapload of Common and Uncommon War of Light figures.

In addition, I also have the following spare LEs and a Prime Laira with Green Axe. The only WOL prize LE I don't have is Atrocitus. The only AOU prize LE I don't have (other than the Quinjet I traded away) is High Evolutionary. As for the Hulkbuster Mark II, I'm only missing the Right Leg and the base. I need to get to bed, so I'm going to stop listing stuff, but drat do I have a lot of trade material right now.
  • Blade x2
  • Grandmaster x2
  • President Lex Luthor
  • Ghost Rider
  • Arrowette
  • Indigo-1
  • John Lynch

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

You guys kind of want that Kyle Rayner if you are at all a fan of the character

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I doubt the international shipping is worth it for me :v:.

On newbie news: I managed to trade my Smallworld game (I never loving play it) for a bunch of CURs (well, not many rares) and two maps so I'm officially in the game.

Next Saturday I'll play a sealed World's Finest tourney too! Hopefully I can trade the game before then and actually play before an official thing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

At the pre-release I pulled Kingdom Come Superman, so I'd won before we even started.

And then I won for realsies because I played KC Superman, Mercury, Mercury, and Iron. TK yo-yos are fun!

Round 1 was against Metallo and Mary Marvel. We both rolled horrendously and missed a lot of attacks that should have been made, but what won it for me was that I guessed correctly when Mary was at the point where the next hit from Superman would put her on her stop click and then didn't hit her until all three of my metal men were up close. Not giving her a chance to regen was key. Metallo's amazingly solid, especially when he can just go "nah +1 to all my poo poo, hit a 19 on every frigging click", but I ground him down eventually.

Round 2 was against Ranged Batman, Alura, and Klarion. He kept trying to hide behind blocking and I'd keep yo-yoing Superman out to blow it up so he had to move again. Eventually he mispositioned and I got to send Superman right into Batman's face, and then I did run-bys on Alura until she dropped too. I promised my opponent that if he left Teekl out of it I'd kill the cat last, but no, he had to move up and base Mercury and Superman with Teekl, so I killed the dang cat and he rolled a 1 for his super senses. Then Superman one-shotted Klarion with an ultra heavy because smartass obnoxious witch-boys.

Round 3 was against SR Superman and Outwit Batman. He made a crucial positioning error, leaving Superman on the edge of elevated terrain and inside my yo-yo range, so my Superman got the first hit in. I missed a few crucial attacks and he made his, though, so we ended up with both of our Supermen on their last clicks, but his Batman was long since KO'd and all my Metal Men were on their top click. Iron ended up being the one to land the final shot.

I picked Red Rain Batman and am very happy.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
I played in two prerelease events this weekend.

The first was full on Battle Royale format, though with this set, almost all of the matches wound up with people scoring very little. I played three rounds of BRs, winning two of them, and wound up walking with-

Gotham by Gaslight Batman
Red Rain Batman
Monsieur Mallah
An assortment of rares and UC Generics

Bought a couple spare boosters after, and pulled Joker and the prime Harlequin. Not bad at all.

Today was a standard 2-booster sealed event, and while I wound up pulling the Defense Superman and Alura, which I should have run with some supporty bits, I wound up playing-

Iron
Tin
Gold
Poison Ivy
Joker's Daughter

Round 1 was against a team of Desaad, the rare shooty Superman, an Apprentice, the Wizard, and Spotlight Batman. He picked Assassin's Alley, so I decided that hey, I have to hole up on level 3 behind blocking, or I'll get swiss-cheesed apart. I should not have won this match, but he refused to take a shot with the Superman if I could retaliate, and wound up positioning himself where I could get at Supes. Commence with the complaining and swearing and stating that all of my pieces are broken. Joker's Daughter can take a power from Superman since he's her dad, that's broken. The Metal Men are all broken. That Poison Ivy is somehow broken. The map was a terrible choice for him, etc, etc, etc- easily the Dead Sea of players. I won with a hit during last action because of the total lack of aggression and complaining.

Round 2 was against Mento, the Flash reuse Superman, and chase Specter. I should have had a chance, but misplaced my Tin, who got blasted, then I just couldn't land a first hit. Stealth on Joker's Daughter and Ivy only prolonged the inevitable.

Round 3 was against a shifting Supes (all but the rare), Blue Beetle, and Alloy at his lowest starting point. I had tons of opportunities to do massive damage to Alloy, but he kept making his Shape Change rolls. I managed to nearly kill Beetle, but he had a ton of Perplex at the end, and I just couldn't seal the deal. I didn't mind, though, since I was really just there for boosters, and hey, I played a bunch of Metal Men!

I really like these pre-release events, especially when they're run as proper BRs. Gives me an opportunity to cherry pick the pieces that I want and just play a fun mash pieces together game with friends.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

I played in three pre-releases because my weekend was free.

I learned that if I am not at my normal venue I roll and pull like absolute dogshit!

First venue I ran

Eyebeam Superman with all his sideboards
Prime Ivy
Mentallo? (Doom Patrol guy)
Occultist
Black Cat

Rolled lots of 3's and 4's and my opponents made lots of defensive rolls and I went 1-2 which wasn't fun. Ivy was my absolute stud with her Mind Control but my dice just poo poo the bed hard.

Second Venue I did a little better

Major Force
Klarion
Poison Ivy

Lost my first round against a Mary Marvel who would not miss. Won my next 2 games pretty handily and even got to do a 7 square poison once. Klarion's cat was the best secondary attacker I could have asked for, he had a massive KO list.

Today I did completely amazing

Pulled 2 SR's out of my boosters in the form of Alloy and Platinum. Ended up running Alloy at 200, Platinum, and Tin.

This team was rock solid. Alloy had either a 14 AV or 21 D depending on what I needed. I even surprised a few players by perplexing alloy's range to 6 and getting a shot they thought they were safe from.

I got that bye round 1 so I never played Andy so who knows what would have happened! In my head I need to win map and choose a wall filled indoor map to limit his yo-yo. If Alloy can get first hit with his ultra? That's basically game as he gets knocked on an 18 invuln click with charge. If he doesn't miss and I get knocked off my 11 with perplex click? I'm hosed and he's gonna win.

But enough of that. The post game was more awesome! The store had extra boosters and let us buy extras from which I pulled even more SR's! Joker, Mallah, and my very own KC Supeman. Yeah I'm done with pre-releases I think.

DaMangoSentinel
Sep 10, 2010

Do I have to do it like this?
My Prerelease this weekend wasn't bad, walked away with both Red Rain and Gaslight Batman, the Batman and Katana ID cards and Ragman. KC Wonder Woman was the chase pulled and Poison Ivy was the prime.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
Played in 2 pre-releases this weekend. One was 400 points, the second was 300.

PR the first, I used 7/10 figures pulled for a team of: Klarion
Prime Superman
Etrigan (w/ Jason Blood Sideboard)
003 "Behind You" Batman
Occultist
Tin
400 on the nose

Went 3-0, including taking down a KC Superman team, to get a Gotham by Gaslight.

Next event, did much worse, in 300 points
Ran:
Klarion (Again)
003 "Behind You" Batman (Again, with 004 Kung Fu Grip Batman on Sideboard)
Alaura@75
001 D-Fence Superman

In theory, this team wasn't horrendous, but out of 10 players, my brother and I were the only ones to not pull at least a SR or a Prime. One guy pulled SR Batman AND KC Harlequin. Another pulled Lex Luthor & Joker AND KC Batman.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Guys, guys guys guys guys guys.

Streaky the Super-cat.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Streaky the Super-cat.

Hahhahahaha between Streaky here and the Black Cat I've seen someone at WizKids wants cat figs to be very very good

This fig rules

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

Streaky the Super-cat.

Holy mother of gently caress. I have to win one of those. My daughter will be ecstatic. She doesn't know who Streaky is but she loves animals and she came to love Red Lanterns when I showed her Dex-Starr, so she'll be over the moon for another HeroClix cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

Red posted:

By the way, you'll see a lot of action tokens for sale - poker chips with comic book characters' faces on them. Many people use these, cheap poker chips, dice, or Gale Force 9 Heroclix action tokens (they look like tear drops with two sides).

I use:

WWE Chipz and MLB Chipz. The WWE brand is out of print, but still super easy to find on Amazon/eBay. MLB Chipz are at most sports card/comic shops, Target, K-Mart, and so on. Each pack of 4 runs $2.

I know that I wind up just making my own action tokens. It isn't that hard to make them if you can get the blank chips. It's a nice thing that I can use to switch it up from time to time. I also made some objects on poker chips too.

• Locked thread