Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
What I like most about this thread right now is that geomagnetic storms represent a relevant, modern threat which could have and very nearly did result in the devastation that the OP was asking about and y'all have disregarded it as an antagonist and instead argued about some hitler poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

even Hitler's underachieving rear end did more to depopulate the world than some dumb loving solar flare

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

turbomoose posted:

What eugenics program ever gets press though?

The entire concept of Royal Families and Nobility is in effect a eugenics program (albeit not a scientifically organized one), and has gotten plenty of press

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Earwicker posted:

The entire concept of Royal Families and Nobility is in effect a eugenics program (albeit not a scientifically organized one), and has gotten plenty of press

Not really, no.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Earwicker posted:

Breeding an entire group of people to have hemophilia isn't the success story they had in mind.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it also wasn't eugenics when Donald Trump got a few million bucks from his daddy, but you didn't get a few million bucks from Donald Trump's daddy, as Hitleresque as that reality may seem to you

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Climate change and global capitalism will solve your problem pretty soon.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it also wasn't eugenics when Donald Trump got a few million bucks from his daddy, but you didn't get a few million bucks from Donald Trump's daddy, as Hitleresque as that reality may seem to you

i wasn't referring to wealth at all but rather the idea that nobility is a trait found in someone's "blood" and the corresponding idea that these traits must be preserved by selective breeding resulting in a class of people who are "better" than the masses of humanity

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Which was about establishing the strongest possible political ties and order of succession, not genotypes, any more than old money sneering at parvenus and the help alike or droning on about their Mayflower ancestry is eugenics. They weren't trying to breed an unstoppable race of superkings, nor eliminate the inferior traits that made peasants lumpen and prone to actually working for a living, they just wanted to keep the crown in the family and claimed ancestry from previous rulers as legitimacy to rule. Eugenicists, who only existed as a meaningful concept post-Darwin and Mendel, woulda sterilized the entire Habsburg line when it started producing prognathous jaws; feudal nobility woulda gibbeted eugenicists as heretics.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 12, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Which was about establishing the strongest possible political ties and order of succession, not genotypes, any more than old money sneering at parvenus and the help alike or droning on about their Mayflower ancestry is eugenics. They weren't trying to breed an unstoppable race of superkings, nor eliminate the inferior traits that made peasants lumpen and prone to actually working for a living, they just wanted to keep the crown in the family and claimed ancestry from previous rulers as legitimacy to rule. Eugenicists, who only existed as a meaningful concept post-Darwin and Mendel, woulda sterilized the entire Habsburg line when it started producing prognathous jaws; feudal nobility woulda gibbeted eugenicists as heretics.

hmmmm this eugenics thing sounds cool and good

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

McFunkerson posted:

I wasn't actually trying to say anything so one sided. I guess my argument was that as a society we've reversed "survival of the fittest" by providing measures for those that nature would most likely deem unfit to continue surviving.

Whether it's providing a protected environment or treating those with genetic disorders, providing aid for those that are unable or unwilling to provide for themselves, putting safety warnings labels on everything, etc we actively put effort into allowing those genetics proliferate.

I didn't think, or claim, that we could force/accelerate evolution in anyway or that we were reversing evolution. Nor did I say that by stopping the treatment of genetic disorders or sterilizing those with them that we'd magically get rid of them.

But if you want to rid the earth of a percentage of the population start with those that most likely would have been taken care of by nature anyway. Then move on to the prisons and members of hate groups.

Or maybe I'm just an rear end in a top hat.

"Humans are the only animal with an unemployment rate."

Stop feeding the poor and it will cause an instant uptick in average human intelligence. And I KNOW I'm an rear end in a top hat, but I'm also correct.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

GORDON posted:

Stop feeding the poor and it will cause an instant uptick in average human intelligence. And I KNOW I'm an rear end in a top hat, but I'm also correct.

Because the clever and resourceful poor, having survived this long on table scraps, faced with extinction, would rise up and devour the slothful, spoiled wealthy, who have never honestly worked for anything and are woefully unprepared for such a conflict, thereby increasing the average intelligence of humanity. I agree.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

GORDON posted:

actually you're stupid and an rear end in a top hat

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Also lmao at the idea that we as a people "feed the poor" in any meaningful, organized or consistent way. You dip poo poo.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

sometimes when I'm bored I'll hang out on a park bench and toss them little scraps of bread

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.

GORDON posted:

They need to pull their weight like hookworms or mosquitos. What do people they they are doing being paracites on society?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Travis343 posted:

Also lmao at the idea that we as a people "feed the poor" in any meaningful, organized or consistent way. You dip poo poo.

Oh sry I thought there was such a thing as food stamps and welfare, i must have dreamed that sry again

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Reznor posted:

They need to pull their weight like hookworms or mosquitos. What do people they they are doing being paracites on society?

I have no idea what people they they are doing being paracites on society.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.

GORDON posted:

I have no idea what people think they are doing being paracites on society.

Pedant. My point about economic production and actual utility being dissimilar stands.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
If you're willing to get a bit sci-fi about it, how about some kind of nanotechnological stealth kill-switch? The nanobot spreads as an aerosol, replicates by disassembling and reassembling minor human waste byproducts found in the gut, and when it's ready, migrates to the heart or brain, where they attach to vital nerves, like the ones that control the heartbeat or cause us to take breaths. They lie dormant until receiving a transmission from orbiting satellites, at which point they activate and sever the nerves they've attached to. Instantly, everyone dies of a heart attack, or suffocates, or has a fatal stroke!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

GORDON posted:

So, do animals have 100% employment, or are they all unemployed? Because you're an idiot either way.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I mean deer spend all of their time standing around eating and doing nothing else. Some job

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

animals are nature's bums

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

If you're willing to get a bit sci-fi about it, how about some kind of nanotechnological stealth kill-switch? The nanobot spreads as an aerosol, replicates by disassembling and reassembling minor human waste byproducts found in the gut, and when it's ready, migrates to the heart or brain, where they attach to vital nerves, like the ones that control the heartbeat or cause us to take breaths. They lie dormant until receiving a transmission from orbiting satellites, at which point they activate and sever the nerves they've attached to. Instantly, everyone dies of a heart attack, or suffocates, or has a fatal stroke!

That's not a bad idea.

I mean if we're looking for a Dr. Evil style plans where the henchmen all get to survive killing everybody and live in a new world. So we would need some sort of nanobot agent that renders the henchmen immune to the nanobots, so that the select few could survive.

I could see myself stroking a white cat while that happened.

Although there is the possibility of a James Bond bond type stealing the super nanobots as a cure. But that's always a risk with evil genius plans.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

thrakkorzog posted:

You're basically advocating eugenics. And that makes you an rear end in a top hat.

While it was a popular theory in the first half of the 20th century, that line of thinking leads to Auschwitz. So most people sane people really want nothing to do with that policy.

So yeah, you're an rear end in a top hat. I'll give you credit for being ignorant, and not knowing that you're basically giving the same arguments as Hitler for cleaning up the human race.

I hate to Godwin, but the comparison is appropriate here.

:byodame::derp::derp::derp::byodame:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Just activate Skynet, problem solved.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

thrakkorzog posted:

Except that all those Russians didn't die, a lot of them left the country to find better opportunities elsewhere, freedom of movement was severely restricted under the Soviet Union, and the collapse of the Soviet Union meant that people were free to go somewhere else. So they could leave Bumfuck, Siberia to move to Moscow, or Paris, or NYC, which wasn't an option back in the Soviet Union. There are plenty of dying small towns in the USA, but that has nothing to do with the collapse of America, and more to do with the fact that people feel they're better off moving somewhere else.

small town america sucks poo poo and the lifestyle is dying because the only people that pine for that period are 75 year old shitheads who still hate black people for the temerity of being born different.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

God dammit, I hate it when people like that one poster in this thread misunderstand how evolution works. It's not like there's this great force called Nature and it intends to craft us into the Most Fit human. If humans are able to live and reproduce, they have been deemed fit by "nature" (which includes humans themselves). It makes no sense to say that "nature" would have killed off certain people, since there's a wide variety of different environments on our planet and the fact that many of those environments have been influenced by humans is no different than them being influenced by any other organism.

If you just like the idea of attempting to make humans stronger/smarter/more disease resistant then say so, but that has nothing to do with evolution* (and it's highly morally questionable).

* well I guess it does, but only in the sense that any change in an organisms traits does

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 24, 2016

Subyng
May 4, 2013
It's dumb to delineate humans and nature in general.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I just want to say three words, Ben. Just three words. Genetically Engineered Fungus.

Like the kind that's been killing off the Cavendish banana for the past 50 years, but mutated to attack basic crops. If you want to run wild with it, have it sterilize farm animals too. A fungus affecting that many crops that harshly all at once is pretty unlikely. It'd have to be time-released. Maybe spread via bees or fertilizer or just wind currents, it would be completely benign for a generation or two before it activates. To attack so many crops it'd have to attack something basic to all plants like the ability to photosynthesize or the genetic doohickeys that signal them to reproduce (which could be devastating to nature, but there you go).

Maybe I'm wrong here, but disrupting food production for a few months would cause mass starvation in a lot of places. I think so few people in first world know how to grow crops/ration food and water that if the grocery stores were out of produce for one day there'd be looting and riots. All processed food would be hoarded immediately. poo poo like Diced Tomatoes would be the new currency. Fast food industry would shut down as well as restaurants, shipping companies, and processed food manufacturers. If first-world trade hiccups that bad it trickles down pretty quickly to second and third world economies. Fisheries would get overfished, local wildlife would get hunted to extinction. If it didn't get solved by winter you'd have people raiding and killing each other or living off cans of water-chestnuts while desperately reading eHow articles on farming for when the snows thaw.

If the government is not-useless there'd be a lot less democracy. The salaries of municipal utility workers would skyrocket to keep everything on track. The USDA would be handing out incentives and starter kits for new farmers while old farmers would have to burn their old fields to get rid of the fungus and start over praying that the new crops don't catch whatever disease killed the first ones. Cows and chickens would be jealously guarded for their production capability and assuming they escaped the fungus for a while people would be getting their protein from nuts some people already do :downswords:.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 2, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

thrakkorzog posted:

Except that all those Russians didn't die, a lot of them left the country to find better opportunities elsewhere, freedom of movement was severely restricted under the Soviet Union, and the collapse of the Soviet Union meant that people were free to go somewhere else. So they could leave Bumfuck, Siberia to move to Moscow, or Paris, or NYC, which wasn't an option back in the Soviet Union. There are plenty of dying small towns in the USA, but that has nothing to do with the collapse of America, and more to do with the fact that people feel they're better off moving somewhere else.

Well, that and they existed to serve farming communities that just plain don't exist anymore because the family farm is on the way out. Modern farming methods make it easier for smaller numbers of people to farm much larger areas... but the profits still aren't great, so usually you see a lot of the last couple generatools leaving town to get jobs.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Make the perfect skinner box video game, basically a hyper addictive version of Clash of Clans or Candy Crush that overrides peoples survival instincts. People starve to death getting to the next level.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

skeptic22 posted:

I saw this guy's "argument" being used a lot in high school/college debate in favor of nuclear war saving the world. Very detailed if you need to mine for plot.

http://www.foundationwebsite.org/TheEndOfTheWorld.pdf

Holy poo poo that article is trash. Some of the assumptions he makes are just glaringly dumb, and I'm sure I'm not versed enough in a lot of the areas he dabbles in to pick out nearly all of them. The one that stood out especially was his assertion that within years (of 2000) it will be trivial for non-state terrorist groups to manufacture nuclear suitcase bombs powerful enough to devastate cities. Oh, and not only get a few one-offs to throw at Tel Aviv or whatever, but make THOUSANDS of the loving things.

Meanwhile, actual nations with a strong interest in getting just 2 or 3 nuclear tipped medium ranged ballistic missiles continue to have problems with every step of that process, especially the miniaturization that would be vital to making suitcase bombs in both the power and quantity required to kill off a significant chunk of the human species.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Instigate a genocidal war between India and China. At over a billion each, there are simply too many people.

Couple this all with a massive decrease in consumer goods and subsidized luxury items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

1. Find a copy of the necronomicon

2. Form cult group

3. Awaken Azathoth, He who hungers

4. IA IA

• Locked thread