Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skypizza
Dec 19, 2015

Geek

DOOM was originally released way back in December 1993, I believe I don't have to do much explaining on what this game really is, or what a big impact it had on the First Person Shooter genre. The premise of the game is very simple, and the focus is entirely on gameplay, which consists of brutal combat and some puzzles. The Ultimate Doom is a 1995 re-release of the original game with the addition of an extra level and new boss, I will be playing the re-release in this LP.

Why DOOM?

More than 20 years have passed since the original game got released, and the new reboot (semi-reboot?) just got released recently. I haven't touched the new game yet, I am planning to, but I thought I'd satisfy my nostalgic impulses by playing through DOOM again. This game means a lot to me, and I sure did have a hell lot of fun playing it and its sequel.

So what's so special about your LP?

So here's the thing, at first I thought about doing a simple VLP, but that is overdone and extremely abundant with many commentators handling it better than me. So I opted for a Screenshot LP with a twist, this LP will be focusing on a made up story (that respects the lore of the game, no worries) and so it will be more of a narrative LP. Our silent and nameless DOOM protagonist will have a name, a backstory, and a motive to kill all the demons that hell spits at his face. Expect humor, dialogues, dramatized encounters and most importantly YOUR contribution to the flow of this LP.

You said something about our contribution? how does that work?

So basically at the end of every update, I will leave some options for you people to decided from that could alter the course of the story or the way our protagonist goes about slaying the hordes of Satan. A simple example is naming a certain type of demon, I either present choices or you people come up with witty names.

How often are we to expect updates?

At least two updates per week, and a maximum of four. I think that's pretty good for a start, and I intend to finish this LP so god curse me with a cyberdemon if I abandon this.

One last thing, what about spoilers?

This game is over 20 years old, with half the globe aware of its existence, so when it comes to discussion you can pretty much talk about anything.

Table of Contents

| Chapter 1: Knee-Deep in the Dead |
-The Hangar Revelation
-A Whole Lot of Ugly Looking Fuckers

Skypizza fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypizza
Dec 19, 2015

Geek
The Hangar Revelation

Log Entry number 23, It has been three days since we landed on Phobos, there is no sign of my squad. I was separated from them 16 hours ago, when they decided to inspect this Hangar for possible survivors. I stayed alone at camp to intercept any message from HQ, but after 10 hours of dark radio I decided to come here and inspect what the gently caress is going on. End of Log, Colonel Duluth.

Why is it so drat quiet in here? I think I should take a look around this chamber. PRIVATES! ANYONE IN HERE?

Holy butterfucks! Is that corpse?.. Is it a carcass? Some kind of animal? I sure am glad it ain't one of my privates, sure as hell this thing smells funky. I better make haste, I have a bad feeling about this. Let's see where do those stairs lead to.

What is up with all these helmets? I better pick me up some of them for later analysis, tidy up the boys with some of them. But wait, what in god's name...

This certainly isn't human. Or animal. Some hosed up poo poo is going on, better keep my log online just in case. Log Entry number 24, make this an extended log. Apparently my boys are still alive, fending off whatever the hell these things are. We were told by HQ to investigate some shady activities going on here on Phobos, but we were never told what exactly is the problem.

Objective was to land and do a reckon of the first Area, we inspected some stations but they were all abandoned. Next was this Hangar, I sure hope we know what we are dealing with. I sure hope the boys are still alive.

Better pick up this Tartoose 3000 body armor, I sure need it more than my crappy issued Snailrock 2000. SMC sure has a lovely budget when it comes to weapons and body armor. Who the hell left this bad boy in here anyway?

Perhaps these...beings.. came from yonder behind? We never fully got briefed on the existence of any indignant species on Phobos. Nonetheless, I should better make progress.

For a place that witnessed a bunch of hardheaded space marines, an encounter with an equally brutal foe, this place sure is as silent as gently caress. There, more disgusting carcass that reeks of tar and acid and all that is unholy.

No no no no no...

MOTHERFUCKER! Log database, Private Henley is dead. drat it, what the hell is going on here? I check Private Henley's body for clues, his wounds seems to be inflicted by some kind of monstrous bites, and there are some burnt flesh around the wound.

There is something over there by the acidic pond, but I better go in and see what the hell is happening, no time for secret or trivial investigations.

This corridor leads to the Hangar's complex, which in turn leads to the elevator shaft. Better move that way, as if I have another choice. The place sure reeks of death.

JESUS CHRIST! Not you! Log Database, Private Jibberdundleweed is dead. I have no choice but to keep moving, no time to take care of the bodies now, I can't call them bodies with all those unholy marks of horror. What has got them? I pray I shouldn't meet the answer. better operate this blast door and pray I don't have to use my gun.

Thank god, it's Private Johnson and Lieutenant Hamill. Lieutenant! Where are the rest of the squadron? What happened here?

Grrrrrrrrr, your soul, your soul.

Lieutenant? Are you well? I can't hear you.

YOUR SOUL MOTHERFUCKER!

What the gently caress! Lieutenant!

I shot Lieutenant Hamill, he pointed his rifle at me, I must pursue Private Johnson to calm the gently caress down. PRIVATE! HOLD YOUR GROUND AND DROP YOUR WEAPON! It is Colonel Frank Duluth!

What the gently caress happened here Private?

Enlightenment Colonel.

Excuse me? What are you talking about? What killed my boys?

Your incompetence, this was your doing Frank. You holed up at camp instead of joining us, our blood is on your hands alone. Your soul belongs to Satan.

Trauma. It must be, it must be a shock to face whatever you faced, please come off it and help me find the rest.

Oh they are around Colonel, they are having plenty HELL of fun. Now it's time to get you on board.

FINAL WARNING! Stop it and drop your rifle!

gently caress you!

Nobody fucks with me son, sane or insane, I warned you. Log, I put Private Johnson down in self defense.

And with that we start this LP, so what should Colonel Duluth do next? Carry on with the investigation and find what is going on? Or should he try to contact HQ first and get some sense of the situation? Also what should these "Zombie Marines" be named? next update pretty soon!

Skypizza fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 22, 2015

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Well, this looks interesting. Perhaps it'll be as good as another narrative DOOM LP?

For now let's see if HQ can tell us what's going on. I don't really have any clever names for the zombies so uh, just Zombies sounds fine to me.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I say Contact HQ and that we call them "Zombie Bastards"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

To be original, and to get it out of the way early, I'm going to say find someone huge with huge guts and rip and tear.

Skypizza
Dec 19, 2015

Geek

Poil posted:

To be original, and to get it out of the way early, I'm going to say find someone huge with huge guts and rip and tear.

Not sure about someone huge with guts, but there is definitely some rip and tear coming up..

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Let's try to get HQ on the horn, and I'd call them Rotters.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cantaloupe posted:

Well, this looks interesting. Perhaps it'll be as good as another narrative DOOM LP?

For now let's see if HQ can tell us what's going on. I don't really have any clever names for the zombies so uh, just Zombies sounds fine to me.

This seems good, so I'll second this.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I dislike attempts to give doomguy a personality and backstory, it just seems wrong to me. Unless its the comic book of course. :black101:

Poil posted:

I'll stick with this as my vote.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Zombie Bastards sounds appropriate.

quote:

Perhaps these...beings.. came from yonder behind? We never fully got briefed on the existence of any indignant species on Phobos. Nonetheless, I should better make progress.

I can't tell if :thejoke:, but maybe you meant indigenous?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

They don't seem very zombie-ish, so my proposed name is Hellions.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
The Turned Would be my shot in the dark for naming them. They're capable of speech, and have enough memories to address us. But their wills have clearly been subverted, and been well... turned into puppets for the malicious will at play here.

Also it's only one syllable so it's easy to say.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Zombine
It's 1993 so we're still original.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Assholes

:shrug:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

BAD GUYS

Yes, in all caps

Skypizza
Dec 19, 2015

Geek
A Whole Lot of Ugly Looking Fuckers

Those were really good kids, too bad I had to put them down, whatever the gently caress happened here? He wasn't himself quite at all, I hope whatever got to him didn't get the rest of the boys either.

My spectral inner thoughts are telling me to contact HQ and update them on the situation, perhaps they know something that they should have shared with us. Like why the gently caress are my boys all torn apart, and those that survived are turned into loving talking Zombies.

Am I sure these are zombies? This place is starting to get into your head Duluth.

Look at this lovely communication terminal, no wonder these boys never radioed in on me, Terry's drive-thru technology renders this one ancient. Nonetheless, my inner spectral thoughts that I should always listen to suggested I contact HQ, let me see if I can operate this Truman machine.

If I know my telecommunications 101 basics, cranking this dial, pressing these... switching this, pulling this lever....Christ this lever is loving...okay and this switch here...

Beep Bop Blerp bop toot bip boop

The gently caress? Please tell me you aren't one of them bleeping models? my Astromech Language is a bit rusty friend.

Beepy Beepty beep bop pip boop

gently caress.

Well there goes the attempt to contact HQ, screw it, I think I can learn about this situation a bit more if I shoot my way through it instead of idling in front of a Truman. I saw a couple more helmets 'round here, better pick them up.

ah yes, the more the merrier, the time I am done with this place I could perhaps open up a shop back in the Mars complex. Sell all these goodies I been hoarding.

More of these useless buttons, why are there so many buttons?

Rebooting... Active at 98% efficiency, calculating idling time.

What the gently caress? I thought you were the bleeping model.

I was loving around with you Colonel Duluth. Calculating room temperature, setting optimum lighting conditions.

I have no time for this bullshit, snap out of your personality codex, I need you to contact HQ for me now that you ID'd me.

Contacting HQ.... Bip boop to blip beepty--

Don't even loving try me Truman.

HQ contacted, forwarding connection...

>>Yes Colonel, what are the news of the mission?

General Fatherland, I have lost multiple units-- I lost the kids, something dangerous is at play here. What the gently caress is going on general? What was skipped in the briefing? Because this sure doesn't look like a rescue mission. Also so far I have not made contact with anyone, just this-- nevermind.

>>Colonel Duluth, you are quite famous and commended for your unorthodox methods and finishing the job no matter what, I expect that here as well as your unquestionable loyalty, remember who you are working and fighting for. The Phobos complex was rumored to be experimenting with some extra-dimensional or pan-galactic teleportation experiments, something went haywire and we lost contact with the personnel.

Extra-Dimensional eh?

>>Yes Colonel, your orders are therefore updated. Find the rest of your squad, find any survivors of the Phobos team and wait for further commands, I am going to see if HQ could dispatch a backup squadron. Fatherland out.

You do know there is no backup "Squadron". HAHAHAHAHA

What's that machine?

Beep bop bleep bit poop

I guess whatever got my boys, it sure came out of whatever place these people were trying to breach, Aliens? Alien zombies? I better stop giving it much thought, those boys had families god drat it.

Great, another one of the boys afflicted with whatever makes him, it, a walking-bad-mouthed-rotter.

*Growls*

Aye motherfucker, right here.

eh?

EAT LEAD MOTHERFUCKER.

Another one of them Zombie bastards, can't believe these were my boys just not less than a few days ago. Here I am shooting them one by one-

huh?

Did that fucker just shot a freaking fireball???

Well you look at that? One ugly freaking fella, sure as hell that ain't no human or animal-

HOLY poo poo! Ughhh, sucker got me good, almost, but I put him down. Log, register this down, Colonel Duluth one, ugly scumbags zero.

Shotgun shells, sweet jesus. About time, clinging to this pistol is literally eating up my manly aura.

Another one of those fireball shooting ugly creeps, is this one of the indignant indigenous species? I never knew Phobos hosted such atrocities, but perhaps this is not a native of phobos...*sniff*

Or this universe.

Woah wait uglyfuck, don't shoot yet. What are you? Where did you come from? Why are you here?

I came from the Golden Teapot. You have three wishes, make them worthy.

What sort of diabolical treachery is this? You seem to harbor some wit.

Diabolical with every right, My name is Eddie, Eddie the pussy-eater demon.

DEMON? It can't be...

Hey now, I don't care if you are one of those Atheists folks, look at me, I am all flesh and bones.

You are of Hell? What happened to my boys?

For a guy that is supposed to shoot mindlessly you sure pack a lot of jabberin'

*Eddie used Infernal Farts*

I will get you for this you motherfucker..

YAAARGHHHHHH

ARGHGHGHGHHGjhhhgj

Don't gently caress with me.

Saw some healthpacks around here, better pick them up and get the hell out of here.

Finally, I was getting tired of this Hangar, perhaps I will find someone at the Nuclear Plants. I hope these...Demons, didn't get there, if that is not already where they spawned from. God be with me.

Nice punches!

You gotta be making GBS threads me. Just take me down to the nuclear plant. Cut the jokes, I have had a lovely day already.

Sure, you don't want my personality codex? fine. You want a simple boring interface? fine.

Please, Truman.

Beep bop bip, Descending to level 233. Descending to level 232. Decend--

Motherfucker.

Truman sure is sticking around for some time, and we end the second update with that bit. NEXT! THE NUCLEAR PLANT! MORE METAL AND RAGE! So for this update's poll, what should we name those fire ball shooting uglyfucks? (Let's not call them Imps.) Also for the next update, want more death punches or shotgun action?

Nuclear Pizza
Feb 25, 2006
Don't know about the fireball uglies, but I'd love to see some Shotgun.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Seconding Shotgun, and since these are our first demons I think some simple like Fiends is appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypizza
Dec 19, 2015

Geek

Rappaport posted:

Zombie Bastards sounds appropriate.

I can't tell if :thejoke:, but maybe you meant indigenous?

Ah yes, they (the creatures) were thought to be both indignant and indigenous, I don't think Colonel Duluth knows the difference. :downswords:

Lizard Wizard posted:

They don't seem very zombie-ish, so my proposed name is Hellions.

Drakenel posted:

The Turned Would be my shot in the dark for naming them. They're capable of speech, and have enough memories to address us. But their wills have clearly been subverted, and been well... turned into puppets for the malicious will at play here.

Also it's only one syllable so it's easy to say.

I like these two the most, they make sense, then again I think we are going with zombie bastards. But if the Colonel feels fancy, he might use either of those.

• Locked thread