Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I gave Tanis a listen off this recommendation, and its really good so far! I'm only three episodes in, and I only have one criticism of it, and that's the extremely distracting bleeping of the name of the lady found dead in an LA hotel water tower. Isn't that common knowledge? I've heard the story at least three times on other podcasts, and that edit doesn't make sense to me.

It's really good otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
In retrospect, the biggest problem with Tanis is how apparently, the host is Solid Snake.

Seriously, anytime anyone says a new phrase to him, he pauses for a second, then says the exact same thing back to them as a question.

"So, I'm gonna go over to the auto parts store."

"...The auto parts store?"

"Yeah, need to get a new air filter for my car."

"...Air filter?"

That one grated on me. And Meerkatnip in general. And the fact that the dude isn't putting any pieces together. Come on, people are obviously not happy that you're looking into Tanis. I can already pretty clearly put together the endgame as a listener, you're supposed to be smart, dude.

Limetown is way more enjoyable in that regard, the host actually understands the ramifications of the investigation.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

internet celebrity posted:

Also the "it's for a podcast" "what's a podcast?" "it's like radio on the internet" exchange gets really grating the fifteenth time. I think a lot of people complained about it in The Black Tapes so they toned it down a bit in Tanis.

Oh god, that's worse in Black Tapes? I was annoyed by that in Tanis.

Limetown is far and away the better of the ones I've listened to, but... When do more come out? I need to know. I NEED TO KNOW.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Tanis is clearly in the Murky Middle, a place where you know where the ending is, and you're heading there, and you're past the new-car smell of the beginning, but you're stuck in this weird in-between place.

The most recent episode showed this, and the two things I hate the most, with the host being utterly dismissive of thinking any deeper into what's going on(Blowing off WEIRD PEOPLE FOLLOWING HIM AND WATCHING HIM AND BREAKING INTO HIS PLACE AND USING HIS COMPUTER TO TRY TO LURE HIS RESEARCH PARTNER TO AN UNKNOWN MEETING, JESUS gently caress) and repeating every statement with a question mark as a bad way to lead them to explain themselves.

Also, the most recent ep had a supposedly creepy abandoned town in it and while I was listening, I was snickering because Limetown did it so much better.

I hope they can get to things happening soon.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

internet celebrity posted:

I had pretty high hopes after the suicide scene in the previous episode but yeah it's still kinda just.... i dunno. The voice acting seems to have gotten worse somehow, like they're just rushing it out because now they have an audience. TBH I really just want more Limetown.

Tanis wildly oscillates between "suck" and "blow" because Nic is a terrible protagonist and is unwilling or unable to put basic logical conclusions together. The plot is dawdling and wandering because going places and having satisfying conclusions is really difficult. I suspect they don't want to kill their golden gooses and resolve Tanis or Black Tapes.

I really want more Limetown too. It's the only one of these I don't feel got up its own rear end. Night Vale got too formulaic, Tanis has the aforementioned problems, The Signal ended and had a weird ending... I wish this medium wasn't being so adversely affected by novice creators coming strong out of the gate and then stumbling like this.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Montalvo posted:

Yeah, more Limetown would be great.

I had to force myself to listen to the last 15 minutes of the most recent Black Tapes. Like... I just don't care anymore? The plot is getting way too convoluted and I don't remember who half the characters are (nor am I going to listen to season 1 again) and it just kind of seems to be digging itself deeper into a hole.

I suspect that the problem with Black Tapes, like Tanis, is that they either didn't think the plot fully through before they began, or they have been trying to make it bigger and better as it gained popularity and overcomplicated it. It happens a lot, just look at Lost.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pope Guilty posted:

Having finished Tanis (for now),I think what gets me about both of the PNW Stories podcasts is that they both have a lot going on and have a nearly The Wire level of not caring if you can follow the various threads or remember who people are. A wiki would help a lot.

The wire was written well though. With Tanis, the issue is that Nic finds out one thing about an individual plotline, then he can't find out any more, sorry, check another lead. The story isn't over complex because there are too many interesting characters and possibilities, but because the narrative just leaves something alone for a week or two so it can go "Ohhhhh whooooaaaaaaaa can you believe Nova owns this building in East bumfuck that was mentioned once?"

"Yes. I can believe that Nova owns a bunch of poo poo. How about you focus on Nova for a while because all the answers are there."

"Noooo maaaaan, let's talk for a whole episode about that novel! Aren't you interested in that? "

"Yes, the novel that was run through the hands of Nova's owner, why don't you-"

"Oh whoa man meerkatnip found out that some fuckin' guy mentioned Tanis on a radio show in 1987, let's go on a trip to meet that guy"

The mystery isn't a mystery because there is so much possibility ), the mystery is a mystery because Nic is a lovely journalist and a bad voice actor. Boom.

I want more Limetown so bad, because that protagonist shows Nic how its done.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yeah the Black Tapes isn't as bad as the Message but it has severe severe problems. Specifically I can't tell if the main character is purposely being condescending to every interviewee or if the writers/actors don't get that she's clearly broadcasting that she thinks these people are crazy no matter how mild their religious beliefs are. Then of course when not interviewing anyone she falls over herself to believe in an invasion of evil shadow people.

Then on the flipside, you have TANIS, where the host can only do the Solid Snake "repeat a statement as a question" interview style, and is completely unable to put the pieces together about what's going on around him. You're a journalist, man, act like it! Lia Haddock would have your balls for being so unable to do any solid field research!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

If I loved Limetown, and Welcome to Nightvale, where do I go to get more of...

That.

The future. Unfortunately.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

God, The Black Tapes started out so good, how the gently caress did it get so bad this fast?

I don't know about the black tapes, but tanis, by the same people, has the same problems AFAIK. They didn't figure out the whole story beforehand and didn't structure it for the show, they came up with an idea and maybe the overarching plot and it's super obvious that they're just trying to answer questions with questions to keep it going. Same problem Lost had.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

cptn_dr posted:

There's The Adventures Of Sparks Nevada, Marshall On Mars, which is the Thrilling Adventure Hour's space western. It doesn't start super strong, but it gets really really good by the end.

I personally disagree, and feel it turned into a never-ending cycle of Sparks falling in love with a new woman, their relationship comes between Sparks and Marshalling, and then the relationship ends. It was really soap opera-y, and all their big episodes felt anticlimactic as hell. I did really like where Beyond Belief seemed to be going, but I came to the conclusion that Acker and Blacker never intended to actually get going on the potential their settings had, but were just spinning their wheels to keep doing episodic stuff without a greater plot. None of their characters ever grew, and there were only a few tiny story arcs that ever resolved fully.

Thrilling Adventure Hour became a sitcom. All the characters stayed the same, all problems get resolved in an episode or two, and the only differences were different relationships. It was funny and entertaining, but wasn't an ongoing story like Limetown or Tanis(even with my personal dislike of Tanis).

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jurgan posted:

TAH never really clicked for me- I think the live audience was off-putting. Sparks Nevada was fun, but didn't really go anywhere. If I had to guess, I'd say the lack of continuity was because the show had a lot of big name talent. You can't always count on Paul F. Tompkins to be available, so you don't spend a lot of time crafting an elaborate narrative that you might have to abandon. I could be wrong on this, just a guess.

Still, the actors are very talented. My favorite thing they did was when Tim and Guy from The Worst Idea of All Time wrote the entire script to Grown-Ups 2 from memory and the TAH cast performed it.

I suspect this is exactly why Captain Laserbeam didn't show up more. They could only get John DiMaggio some of the time.

Jurgan posted:

Hello from the Magic Tavern is similar (based on your description). It's pretty funny; the only thing I didn't like was an extended subplot about the main character being raped that was played for laughs. Fortunately they don't bring it up too often.

Do you like it when improvisers have a standard joke they return to when they don't know what to do? Then Chunt's jokes about buttholes are gonna be for you!

It was funny otherwise, but I couldn't deal with entire episodes about buttholes and numbers of buttholes.

Edit: I am just fuckin' being Negative Nancy all over the place. Where's the makers of Limetown? I want another season so i can have something to gush about.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Echophonic posted:

As for Alice isn't Dead? I can't figure out if I like it or not. It's got the same sort of writing that turned me off of Night Vale after 80 episodes. It's the way Fink uses repeated phrasings to make things seem unnatural, I think. The storyline is interesting and Jasika Nicole is nailing the performance, which are redeeming it quite a bit. However, I kind of hate the 'riddle'. The punchline being some awkward, wordy existential koan was okay the first time, but now the chicken is climbing a tower. Climbing a tower. Climbing. A tower. Spiraling up. A tower. Climbing.

I know this is an audio-format forum, but gently caress it, it's relevant. This kind of poo poo drove me crazy in the Night Vale book, and it's why I have like fifteen episodes of Night Vale to listen to... And have zero desire to do so.

Joseph Fink seems to do this poo poo all the time, and it made the Night Vale book almost unreadable. Problem is, for something that is such a one-person-writing project, how do you make Night Vale not feel so samey and formulaic without just changing writers?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, I love wolf 359. It's very well done, and I highly advise anyone who likes this format to listen to it.

Because i am an rear end in a top hat, here are my criticisms of it. I really hate how all these podcasts will bake certain very interesting things into characters back stories, and will take literally forever to tell you anything. I want to know what the mystery is about Eiffel and his mysterious history. I want to know more about the star. Yes, that's how they keep me coming back, but 35 episodes, 2 episodes a month, and we still have no answers? Bummer.

I also really hate the voice actor who does Kepler. I feel like he is doing a great job of making his character sounds like an immense prick, so I also love him, but drat does he have a punchable sounding voice.

That's about it! I love the scripts and think the overall plot is doing great in unspooling slowly. It's good stuff. Listen to it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Echophonic posted:

The narrator is Jasika Nicole, but she's not playing Dana Cardinal.

I get where you're coming from regarding the show becoming about Cecil. I want to know more about the Sherrif's cloud office and bloodstone circles and less about his hand-niece's school life.

I didn't realize it, but this is one of my complaints with WtNV. That and that Fink got into a pretty formulaic pattern with the crisis-to-resolution timing. I liked the weird one-offs that were different from one another, like the doubles episode, the story of You, and the Russian Sub.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Am I wrong, or has Twilight Histories not done any updates to the free show in a really long time, whereas he's done a whole bunch of members-only stuff? I can't fault the guy for wanting to incentivize his membership, but don't claim one thing and do another, man. Just be real about it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Within the Wires was really loving good, although the relaxation tape device was making me legitimately fall asleep. I have no idea what they can do for a season 2 and not feel kinda hacky, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kraps posted:

Yeah. Well it was good till this episode.

No but it's okay because they're gonna write a NEW constitution and release it on the 4th of July and it'll be totally rad and modern.

I heard that part and it made me loving terrified as to what a current day constitutional congress would write. I shudder to think what Ted Cruz or Nancy Pelosi would add to a constitution nowadays. If they're trying to write a horror story, they're doing a not bad job. I don't think they're trying to write a horror story, though.

• Locked thread