Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fat piece of poo poo snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

don't sign your posts

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I guess the moral is that if your business model is some kind of data haven based largely on your users sharing copyrighted material, then don't set up shop in a country with extradition treaties to the states (i assume this is the case).

I was going to say that the moral of the story is to eat healthy and do moderate exercise, but if anyone gets into a fight with him in prison he'll just sit on them

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
also don't send emails and skype messages documenting all your illegal activities

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Perplx posted:

also don't send emails and skype messages documenting all your illegal activities

this is universally true. never put down any of your illegal activities in any kind of writing.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBdGOrcUEg8

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Mr. Nice! posted:

this is universally true. never put down any of your illegal activities in any kind of writing.

I was just telling this to a 17 year old. Never put it in writing, and you want cash or cashier's check.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Stymie posted:

good on them for removing water fluoridation

not because it's mind control chemicals or anything, it's because chemical companies are being denied the right to be paid to dispose of waste in drinking water supplies

Sham bam bamina! posted:

fluoridation is bullshit because fluoride is only useful topically and drinking it is as likely to produce fluorosis as it is to prevent cavities, on the other hand it's used in such trace amounts that it basically doesn't matter either way

brushing and flossing prevent cavities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KvgtEnABY

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I was just telling this to a 17 year old. Never put it in writing, and you want cash or cashier's check.

cashiers checks are pretty easy to fake though

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sniep posted:

i smoke marijuana i should get extradited to singapore to be caned cuz that's super illegal in singapore

you mean executed

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hobbesmaster posted:

i switched checking from one bank to another recently and they were going to put a hold on a cashier's check i got from down the road because that's the #1 check fraud they see come through there

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
yea they hang you there

like in the 90s they used to do the hangings in public too

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

fart simpson posted:

you mean executed

i dont smoke pounds of marijuana

the death penalty looks to start at 500 grams

im sure id just get a good caning

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Mido posted:

does anyone actually know through what mechanisms he's being extradited? or are we just makin assumptions

"including criminal charges of copyright infringement, racketeering, wire fraud, and money laundering."
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/12/kim-dotcom-to-be-finally-extradited-to-the-us-new-zealand-judge-rules/

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

its the racketeering and money laundering primarily that are gonna sink him

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

at least he's got the honest love of a good woman, so even if he loses all his money and goes to jail he has that to look forward to when rolling out of prison!

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
Yeah, nah.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/kim-dotcom-paypal-and-money-problems-2015-2

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I thought she came back after he was allowed to have an allowance but lives in a guest house.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i feel bad for the fat man

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

BONGHITZ posted:

i feel bad for the fat man

i'm glad he won't be able to make any more "got mine neener neener you will never ever have this" music videos.

too bad about the swan though

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

what a terrible coincidence for him.

wonder what made her leave right now?

life is full of mysteries.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

hobbesmaster posted:

You can verify the check with the issuing bank via phone. It's also irrevocable unless it's lost.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
is there any difference between megaupload, and the potential accusations that could be made against other file sharing services, like DropBox? how about all the copied copyrighted videos that are reposted on Facebook that have stupid image captions with emojis added to the top and bottom?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

is there any difference between megaupload, and the potential accusations that could be made against other file sharing services, like DropBox? how about all the copied copyrighted videos that are reposted on Facebook that have stupid image captions with emojis added to the top and bottom?

megaupload's entire business model was around enabling the sharing of copyrighted content, instead of it being a consequence of providing a sharing service

they indexed everything to facilitate finding illegal content easily

they purposefully dragged their feet on any requests to remove known copyrighted material hosted on their site, because thats how they made money

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SYSV Fanfic posted:

You can verify the check with the issuing bank via phone. It's also irrevocable unless it's lost.

as bitcoiners find out, everything except cash is actually revocable if theres fraud

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

hobbesmaster posted:

as bitcoiners find out, everything except cash is actually revocable if theres fraud

You know you can counterfeit cash too. Right down to the invisi pin test. Most just lack the means.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 22, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

SYSV Fanfic posted:

You know you can counterfeit cash too. Right down to the invisi pin test. Most just lack the means.

oh shut the gently caress up

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh shut the gently caress up

Wow, rude.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
haha capital letters

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Sham bam bamina! posted:

fluoridation is bullshit because fluoride is only useful topically and drinking it ...

drinking it means it comes back as saliva which topically covers the teeth again

its a common anti fluoride talking point to say that fluoride is useless after being swallowed

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
ive met kim dot com (nz is a small place, he is big)

kim is a weirdo who shouldnt be trusted. he was sure to lose after judge david harvey was ejected from the case after saying that a copyright problem was us, specifically the letters U. S.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

drinking it means it comes back as saliva which topically covers the teeth again

its a common anti fluoride talking point to say that fluoride is useless after being swallowed

also that in order to swallow it you, y'know, hafta move it thru your mouth where there happen to be teeth

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

oh thats pretty cool, good to know

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
here's the thing about water fluoridation: there's been no real studies that prove that fluoridating municipal or even state water supplies has any meaningful effect on dental health

sure, they can study using fluoride in certain concentrations in a laboratory setting but even studies that are ostensibly pro-fluoridation basically come to the conclusion of "well, we can't possibly study a large enough population to be meaningful when it's dumped into a municipal water source, but eh, why not?"

water fluoridation is a triumph of industry using modern scientific consensus-manufacturing and government corruption to engage in large-scale industrial waste disposal that would be otherwise illegal

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stymie posted:

here's the thing about water fluoridation: there's been no real studies that prove that fluoridating municipal or even state water supplies has any meaningful effect on dental health

sure, they can study using fluoride in certain concentrations in a laboratory setting but even studies that are ostensibly pro-fluoridation basically come to the conclusion of "well, we can't possibly study a large enough population to be meaningful when it's dumped into a municipal water source, but eh, why not?"

water fluoridation is a triumph of industry using modern scientific consensus-manufacturing and government corruption to engage in large-scale industrial waste disposal that would be otherwise illegal

i wont lie ill just believe w/e fishmech tells me in this disagreement

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Stymie posted:

yeah nah

well it works in in new zealand anyway

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

what is a real study?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

BONGHITZ posted:

what is a real study?

A study that conforms to MY preconceived notions

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
they should put soap in the water to save me from even more tedious personal hygiene tasks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mishaq posted:

megaupload's entire business model was around enabling the sharing of copyrighted content, instead of it being a consequence of providing a sharing service

they indexed everything to facilitate finding illegal content easily

they purposefully dragged their feet on any requests to remove known copyrighted material hosted on their site, because thats how they made money

plus incentivized uploaders to share content that they didn't have yet

• Locked thread