Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe

Kanthulhu posted:

The idea that you can classify people as either theistic, agnostic or atheistic and thus agnosticism is like the middle ground is wrong. Agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive. Someone can be both or neither of them.

Theism or Atheism denotes someone's position relating to whether they believe god exists or not.
Gnosticism or Agnosticism is about someone's position regarding knowledge, not belief: Gnosticism denotes people who think they know whether god existis and agnosticism regards people who think they don't know whether god exists.

And you can mix and match both those axises.

For instance, you can be:
Gnostic and Theist: meaning you know that god exists and that's why you believe in Him.
Agnostic and Theist: meaning you don't know if god exists but you believe in Him anyways.
Agnostic and Atheist: meaning you don't know if god exists but you don't believe in Him.
Gnostic and Atheist: meaning you definitively know that god doesn't exist and that's why you don't believe in Him.

Most moderate believers are Agnostic Theists meaning they realize they can't show evidence that proves a god exists but they believe as a matter of faith anyways.
Fanatical believers are usually Gnostic Theists thinking they have some bullshit way to prove god exists (tides go in, tides go out; can only explain that through god)
Good skeptical people are Agnostic Atheist because they realize it's impossible to prove the non-existence of god but they don't believe in him because there aren't any evidence that god exists and skepticism (the moderate version) is the position that you should only believe in theories that have evidence behind them.
People that are Gnostic and Atheist are also called Anti-theists because they try to prove god doesn't exist. There is no sound evidence for the non-existence of god, only evindece that indicate god doesn't exist, so this position is a little less solid but I still respect it more than the position of believers.

<3

look at you fuckin telling people how it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Agnostic theists are Literally Retarded.

Hmm derp, can't know if God I real but I'm gonna believe anyways.

Why don't you believe I'll triple your investments? Gimme your routing and checking number.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Jastiger posted:

Why don't you believe I'll triple your investments? Gimme your routing and checking number.

Honestly they probably would you just gotta play up their ego and man let me tell you nothing showers off feeling like you gotta be nice to those stupid bastards to pay your bills.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Jastiger posted:

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jastiger posted:

It could just be pragmatism, i.e. "God makes me feel better, even if it doesn't exist, so I guess I'll believe."

How do science with God???

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
as a dire cynic i sometimes wish i believed in something so i kinda get why people are/become (ie. later in life) religious; even very intelligent people. but as a dire cynic i don't/can't believe so i guess i am hosed.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Eumenides posted:

It could just be pragmatism, i.e. "God makes me feel better, even if it doesn't exist, so I guess I'll believe."

How do science with God???

It's not though. Rain man is a fictional character. They are retarded and are taking a short cut to jesus.

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

Fun Shoe

thathonkey posted:

as a dire cynic i sometimes wish i believed in something so i kinda get why people are/become (ie. later in life) religious; even very intelligent people. but as a dire cynic i don't/can't believe so i guess i am hosed.

does tht mean yu're bigger than a normal cynic?

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jastiger posted:

It's not though. Rain man is a fictional character. They are retarded and are taking a short cut to jesus.

ive never seen that mvie but I know what I don\t know and what I don't know is this: everything about god

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Eumenides posted:

does tht mean yu're bigger than a normal cynic?

i've put on a little weight but that's really rude to point it out just wanted to let you know

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Jastiger posted:

Probably because your investment scheme has a high amount of risk involved, as opposed to wasting an hour every other Sunday. Unless you're church is a Scientology center.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
the notion of god has nothing to do with literal "truth" anyone can tell you that. most religions are internally consistent, or at least internally consistent enough, to establish satisfying believable story worlds which include you, dear believer

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Kanthulhu posted:

The idea that you can classify people as either theistic, agnostic or atheistic and thus agnosticism is like the middle ground is wrong. Agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive. Someone can be both or neither of them.

Theism or Atheism denotes someone's position relating to whether they believe god exists or not.
Gnosticism or Agnosticism is about someone's position regarding knowledge, not belief: Gnosticism denotes people who think they know whether god existis and agnosticism regards people who think they don't know whether god exists.

And you can mix and match both those axises.

For instance, you can be:
Gnostic and Theist: meaning you know that god exists and that's why you believe in Him.
Agnostic and Theist: meaning you don't know if god exists but you believe in Him anyways.
Agnostic and Atheist: meaning you don't know if god exists but you don't believe in Him.
Gnostic and Atheist: meaning you definitively know that god doesn't exist and that's why you don't believe in Him.

Most moderate believers are Agnostic Theists meaning they realize they can't show evidence that proves a god exists but they believe as a matter of faith anyways.
Fanatical believers are usually Gnostic Theists thinking they have some bullshit way to prove god exists (tides go in, tides go out; can only explain that through god)
Good skeptical people are Agnostic Atheist because they realize it's impossible to prove the non-existence of god but they don't believe in him because there aren't any evidence that god exists and skepticism (the moderate version) is the position that you should only believe in theories that have evidence behind them.
People that are Gnostic and Atheist are also called Anti-theists because they try to prove god doesn't exist. There is no sound evidence for the non-existence of god, only evindece that indicate god doesn't exist, so this position is a little less solid but I still respect it more than the position of believers.

<3

pretty sure gnosticism and agnosticism have nothing to do with each other, based off of quick google searches

hth

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mein Eyes! posted:

the notion of god has nothing to do with literal "truth" anyone can tell you that. most religions are internally consistent, or at least internally consistent enough, to establish satisfying believable story worlds which include you, dear believer

This statement is the opposite of reality, particularly where the Abrahamic faiths are concerned. Viewed purely as fiction their "holy books" are internally inconsistent, self-contradicting, poorly plotted and lack compelling characters. Taking them as anything more than mediocre anthologies of ancient myths is bizarre and symptomatic of stupidity and/or delusion.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I worship Crom. He lives in the ground.

Pennant
Aug 24, 2007

~~~~~ everybody move your feet and feel united oooh ooh ooh ~~~~~
i haven't read the thread but gnosticism refers to knowledge, while theism refers to belief.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

Pennant posted:

i haven't read the thread but gnosticism refers to knowledge, while theism refers to belief.

he's probably mixing it up with capital g Gnosticism which is what most ppl are talking about when gnosticism (like chrome really really wants me to capitalize this) comes up

iirc Gnosticism is some super hardcore version of christianity that believes old testament god is actually an evil entity and who can blame them really if you've read much of the old rape and pillage testament

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

A misanthrope posted:

dont let what other people do influence your beliefs. that's weak son

it doesn't that's just what I say to people rude enough to ask. my actual beliefs are complicated and convoluted, and I don't want to bother explaining them to people

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
i went to a private christian high school and had bible class every day. that's a really good way to turn someone into an atheist :D

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Agnostic is euphemism for either Pussy or Ignorant, neither of which you'd want to be described as, right?

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
corn for the corn god

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
there is no god

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
but allah, and muhammad is his prophet

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Pennant posted:

correct. the reason "agnostic" is used as a mutually exclusive label from "atheist" is because many people attribute so strong a stigma to the word atheist that merely identifying as it will be considered a hostile act by them, so agnostic is basically used as a euphemism to mean "I'm an atheist, sorry for holding a position that is not considered socially acceptable to you, please forgive me".

although in some cases it's a euphemism for "I don't believe in wizards, but I do believe in magic". in my experience the preferred euphemism in that case is "spiritual, not religious".

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
can you prove a shitpost exists

are poo poo posts ever truly known

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Jastiger posted:

you my friend would love prosperity theology

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Jastiger posted:

you're misunderstanding the definition of agnosticism

it comes from the greek "gnosis" or "knowledge" in this case specifically the knowledge of whether it can be definitely proven whether or not there is a god

so agnostic theists think it is impossible to 100% prove god and rely on faith instead. gnostic theists believe god can be proven. most christians are agnostic.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
arent catholics the ones who think you can prove the existence of god and they came up with a bunch of gay little logic puzzles about it

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

thathonkey posted:

you all get to die tho.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
the agnoistic/gnostic theist/atheist thing is sperging bullshit. you cant divide people into 4 clear cut categories any more than you can divide them into 2
for one thing it leaves out your thoughts on epistemology, like you could say you don't know if there is a god, or you could assert that it is impossible for you or anyone ele to know if there's a god and anyone who says they do or acts as though they do is deluded, which is definitely not sitting on the fence

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
im having painful flashbacks to phil 101

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

I'm pretty sure huxley wasn't being a coward when he coined the term idiot. Only read the first page.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Durrr me got autism , whats derrr etymological fallacy. Retard.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

A.Barnum posted:

Durrr me got autism , whats derrr etymological fallacy. Retard.

in your case its actaully the entomological fallacy, because you have no brains, but instead primitive nerve ganglia, like an insect

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

eSports Chaebol posted:

in your case its actaully the entomological fallacy, because you have no brains, but instead primitive nerve ganglia, like an insect

Good one.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

eSports Chaebol posted:

The word you are looking for is automaton. Moron.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

vug posted:

the agnoistic/gnostic theist/atheist thing is sperging bullshit. you cant divide people into 4 clear cut categories any more than you can divide them into 2
for one thing it leaves out your thoughts on epistemology, like you could say you don't know if there is a god, or you could assert that it is impossible for you or anyone ele to know if there's a god and anyone who says they do or acts as though they do is deluded, which is definitely not sitting on the fence

That's Agnostic Atheism. Welcome to the club.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ashgromnies posted:

you're misunderstanding the definition of agnosticism

it comes from the greek "gnosis" or "knowledge" in this case specifically the knowledge of whether it can be definitely proven whether or not there is a god

so agnostic theists think it is impossible to 100% prove god and rely on faith instead. gnostic theists believe god can be proven. most christians are agnostic.

Except no Christians think Jesus died on the cross and the poo poo in the bible is true. It's ridiculous for someone to say it's impossible to know something, but I'm gonna go ahead and believe it anyways. That's something an idiot would do. So Christians that think it's impossible to prove god, but still believe are being really dumb.

Name me any instance where it's acceptable to believe in something 100% without any evidence. You can't because we call people that do that gullible idiots.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

wiffle ball bat posted:

arent catholics the ones who think you can prove the existence of god and they came up with a bunch of gay little logic puzzles about it

That's indeed a prevalent trait of catholic theology but present mostly through Medieval age and Modernity. People like Thomas Aquinas, Anselm of Canterbury and early Modern philsophers like Blaise Pascal tried to prove god using logic and philosophy.
Contemporary theologies don't do that (mostly) though. Even the pope is cool with being unable to prove god's existance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The real issue is decoupling the existence of God from an after-life. The universe can have a creator but that has nothing to do with the persistence of an individual's memory and personality. With all we know about biology and physiology that idea that only humans have immortal souls is comparable to belief in a geocentric universe.

• Locked thread