Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

27 - A dramatic farewell: The windows are too big for one to be pushed up like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

027: I remember this one, the man has somehow pushed up both the window and the window frame to lean out of the train, which isn't how frames work.

041: C because the bottom isn't actually a square.

028: Since the axle isn't exactly on the corner, A is the best fit.

029: B

036: B

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Regarding the bird puzzle, if we choose A it leads the bird straight into the mouth of a hungry snake and if video games have taught me anything it's that the souls of dead things float upward so obviously the best way to get above ground again is to die. :downs:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord, train man, could you be any more suspicious about this coincidence of years?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Puzzle Remix

Now, I don't want to say being off the train at last is the sole reason for this, but seeing more people attempt this batch of stuff than any prior was a nice surprise for sure.

3. The detail you're searching for has to do with the train car. Once you've spotted it, you're sure to shout, "There's no way you could move it like that!"

I see that pattern is continuing even into a second update, huh?

2. D and another piece shaped like it would make a fine cube as well.
3. You're down to two possible answers at this point. Choose the one that seems the least likely to fit with its twin.

While we're talking puzzles, have you ever heard about that mysterious puzzle-collecting lady?
I hear she gathers and stores all the lost puzzles of the world.
How she does it is a conundrum wrapped in an enigma-stuffed mystery. Y'know, a mystenigdrum.

And with that, we can move on. Yeah, no longer getting a camera part from every single puzzle we do.

3. B and E are not the answer. Choose from the remaining three options, and don't forget what you read in Hint Two!

If you've got any more puzzles, I've got answers!
I'm impressed you knew a puzzle like that. I'd never heard that one before.
Well, I try my best to impress the professor! Hehe.

2. Instead of looking at this one straight on, try rotating your Nintendo DS a little so that you have a diagonal view of the puzzle.
3. Here's an interesting bit of trivia. This particular optical illusion is known as the Poggendorff Illusion.

What an... unexpected but actually pretty useful prize! I would've figured maybe a hamster thing but this works too. I guess?

2. The wrong tunnels all split off in a number of directions, but the tunnel you're looking for will reconverge into a single path before it reaches the exit.
3. All the paths stemming from tunnel A take you deeper into the ground or into the snake's den.

Dropstone

I wish I had some way of thanking you properly...
Oh, I know! Here, you can have this tea set and these lovely herbs. Take 'em, I insist!

And that makes 3. So now we finally have everything in the trunk! Hurray!

And unlike the Camera which we can't really bother with until we do anything and we're still a little shy of getting to really play with Hamtaro, we CAN do stuff with the tea set!

Like, instantly. It's a bit of a dice roll to get this to appear but if it says "HELP!" that's a good sign bizarrely.

A Moment of Rest

Thankfully this is nice and easy in just about every single instance it crops up. We'll do just as the Professor asks, like so:

On top of helping a person be less depressed or whatever this is meant to generically represent, it also gives us a bonus hint coin.

And, while we're at it...

Leaving and re-entering the trunk a bunch eventually makes Luke need our help as well. Follow the same process, get another hint coin and already be at 02/26.

What's not immediately obvious here is that there's only 12 valid tea combinations. Gonna be getting repeat orders pretty quickly then.

Suspense

Dropstone

And in an inevitable change of pace, we'll be picking things back up with... a puzzle. Immediately. Sure, let's go!

See, I'm trying to wrap this flower I grew to give to a friend.
I've got green fingers when it comes to plants, but I'm all thumbs when it comes to wrapping.
Help an old gal out, would you?

Oh, um, sorry I thought it was going to be something I could actually help with.

But there's also this giant tree just chilling off to the side. It's just an environment inspiring thing like earlier, rather than a hidden puzzle akin to Curious Village though.

With a structure like that, it must be quite old. I wonder how long it's been here.
Oh, Luke, our little conversation reminded me of a puzzle I know. Care to hear it?
Why not?

Well, as we've just established we're clearly not very good at any puzzles involving greenery. That's a reason why not.

There's nothing else here, so we'll head back to the main thoroughfare now.

We'll take this path to the left first, which I should have done last time instead. Oh the powers of hindsight!

Also now that we've got the teaset, Lulu's moved and we can head further into the village proper later on.

I'm not going to defend my idiocy with regards to this with anything other than I thought there was another plot trigger over here. I was, well, completely wrong...

Thankfully, it's not the kind of mistake that will Kostya anything. :v:

My memory's not what it used to be, but you're not from around here, are you? Waiting for the train?
How do I know, you ask? Well, this isn't the first time it's happened. As fancy as that train is, it must be in rotten shape.
Chin up, sonny. More often than not, the train gets fixed in a few hours.
What with the festival and all, there's plenty to see and do here in the meantime.
Thank you for the information.
If I could trouble you for a moment, though, I'd like to ask about a relic known as the Elysian Box.
You may also know it as Pandora's Box.
Oh, dear me!

Hm?
Hmph, well, I'm not sure if I want to talk to you any more.
To be frank, I was in high spirits till you came along. Now I'm grumpier than a cat in the rain.
If you want to prove you're sorry for ruining my day, solve this here puzzle.

Um... c-can I maybe take a raincheck?

They can't even solve a simple puzzle like this one. Try again when you've found your grey matter.

Yes, I think I can manage that. Thanks for being so considerate!

Anyway, now we'll head to where Lulu was blocking us from earlier.

Ooh, I just love all the hustle and bustle. It's so wonderful!
Shall we take in some more of the plaza's sights then?
Definitely!

Now this screen is, quite frankly, packed with stuff to do. We'll grab these three coins and talk to this bewigged individual.

When she was a child, I used to read to her until she fell asleep. She looked just like an angel.
Oh, nothing cuts so deep as separation's knife! Sob...
Cripes, I don't know about that. I've never really given it much thought.
Oh, fret not. I wasn't expecting one as young as yourself to fully understand my malaise.
Don't mind me. I'll just excuse myself now.

Best not to pry too deeply into the private affairs of others, Luke. It's not becoming of a gentleman.
You're right, Professor.

I'm... not going to touch the inherent hypocrisy in that, because we have a bigger problem to deal with right here.

Namely, there are three puzzles to do back-to-back!

So let's do this sensibly and just go from the left to the right.

I heard you've been running around Dropstone asking questions, but you haven't talked to me yet!
If you solve this puzzle then I, the king of Dropstone trivia, will answer your questions.

Well, uh, as nice as that sounds you sound really desperate for validation and I'm not sure I want to enable you.

The door's next since that's squarely in the middle.

Yup, but it looks like it's closed for the day.
Well, they probably wanted to give everyone a chance to enjoy today's festivities.
Luke, this reminds me of a puzzle set in front of a village hall like this one. Care to give it a go?
You know I do, Professor!

Unfortunately, I do not. And being the controlling voice in your head(s), that means we're not going to right now.

And that just leaves that little statue thingy off to the right.

It appears to be commemorating something. Let's see what's written on it...

How peculiar, it appears to be saying two different things simultaneously.

We'll get back to that in a moment, but for now we'll continuing going to the right. I think I can see something over there, you see.

Those are some... interesting giant balloons you got there, folks.

It looks like the villagers are setting up for the livestock competition.
Livestock competition?
That sounds like fun!

While we're waiting, can we go and see more of the village?
Certainly. We can return later when the competition commences.
Yay!

So we've just got a bit more exploration to do and then we can admire the cows. But, hey, it's a competition so it should be interesting.

Also, yeah, there's still a lot of village left to go check out. So we'll do just that.

Puzzle Remix

1. Pay attention to the direction and starting point of each diagrammed fold.
2. Since the green edge on the wrapping paper will be obscured as you roll up the paper in A and D, you can throw out both these answers.

1. It's a simple question, so try not to overthink it.

1. The correct solution doesn't involve the golfer overshooting the hole.
2. There's no reason our golfing friend should have to hit each putt straight toward the hold. Perhaps he could put his ball in a better position with a shot that travels diagonally.

Honestly, this one is way too hard to be ranked so low. I'd put its worth at 50 personally.

1. The first portrait you choose should be of a man.
2. Move counter-clockwise to find your answer.

1. Think about how many votes exist in the town, excluding the three cast by the candidates themselves.
2. Even the three candidates themselves have the right to vote. Of course, seeing as how each of them wants to win, it's a given that the candidates will likely vote for themselves.

So, what's up with that flag? Well, it's quite simple really; this is one of a... very, very small amount in this game that has a different puzzle depending on region. Like with Curious Village, I won't be bothering with Japanese version exclusive things because they're basically impossible for the vast majority of people here to read, let alone solve (and I could probably only manage a scant few at best as well). That being the EU flag should make it clear that this is the European version's puzzle. And, yes, there is a reason for this one to change between versions.

The next and functional last is, uh, weird about it. You'll see.

1. The puzzle text tells you that the sculptor engraved the wrong date into the stone, so you know that 12-8 isn’t the date Dropstone was founded.
2. Does the sculpture’s shape give you a clue into what it could have been converted? That big bowl and the opening at the top should indicate that this sculpture is now a fountain.

1. The puzzle asks you to answer with a three-letter word. Say... part of the engraving is the three-letter word RED. That's not just a coincidence, is it?
2. Imagine how things would look if you filled the wineglass part of the monument to the brim with water.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 18, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ah, right, I forgot that MM/DD is only used in America, whereas literally every Metric-using country (except maybe Canada?) uses DD/MM.

Puzzle 30EU (The Wrong Date) : The town was founded on 13/08, or August 13th.

Puzzle 30US (The Secret Message): In the bizzare American parallel universe, the town was founded on August 12th instead, and on 8/13 they were all in BED. It's interesting that the logic behind the puzzle stays the same, even if the answer changes.

Puzzle 34 (Trees on the Old Road): A and E are obviously the furthest apart.

Puzzle 47 (The Mayoral Election): A candidate needs 14 votes from someone other than themselves to win, or 15 votes total.

Puzzle 53 (Boy's Club): I think the reason this one is worth 30 picarats is because it can essentially be brute-forced, going through every possible combination until you get the right one. It's the guy with the moustache eyebrows at the 10 o'clock position.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Would you be willing to post and explain the Japanese-exclusive riddles, just to complete the record?

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014
32. C - wrap counterclockwise, with the green fringe on the outside.

37. 2 putts. The first putt goes 11 meters at an angle and ends up 11 meters from the hole. The second putt goes 11 meters and in.

53. This is a poorly-worded question and I refuse to muddle through it. Ditch the "counting this portrait as one" business and it becomes a much more elegant puzzle that still has a correct answer!

47. Jeez, who edited these word problems? Assuming the three candidates are part of the 40-voter pool (and why wouldn't they be, they're locals), 14 votes for the winning candidate including the candidate himself/herself, with each of the other two getting 13 votes.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

47. 20 votes total are needed in order to guarantee victory. To see how this makes sense, assume that one person is guaranteed only their own vote and that nobody else will vote for them - then you're left with 2 candidates sharing 39 votes, and if one reaches 20 votes, the other will be left with at most 19.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Okay so, uh, it turns out that I'm very smart and in my infinite intelligence and wisdom... I left out the hints for 30EU by mistake and somehow didn't notice until right now. Go me!

In case you really want/need them, I've edited the relevant ones into the update but here they are again for more immediate convenience;

quote:

1. The puzzle text tells you that the sculptor engraved the wrong date into the stone, so you know that 12-8 isn’t the date Dropstone was founded.
2. Does the sculpture’s shape give you a clue into what it could have been converted? That big bowl and the opening at the top should indicate that this sculpture is now a fountain.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Puzzle Remix

3. You're left with only two options at this point, so focus on the direction of the wrapping, and you'll soon find the solution.

I have a pretty big problem with picturing these kinds of things. I dunno, it's not a spacial awareness thing, I think, but I just cannot picture 2D objects in a 3D plane for some reason.

She also gives us a tutorial on "how to brew teas" but we've done that already and it's not complicated so we'll skip that.

Oh but that toy gives us four so we can do something with Hamtaro now!

A Moment of Rest

So, this is actually a really simple pathfinding puzzle. We need to place objects so that Hamtaro walks a mininum number of steps. There's a surprisingly complicated formula to his AI that helps it determine things like "what if I switched the house and apple" but none of that matters because this thing was really not thought out well at all!

...We'll get to that later but for now, all that matters is everything we have only attracts Hamtaro if he's within 3 spaces of it. Apples are his favourite so he'll go there first. This is one of many, many, MANY possible solutions for a minimum of 8 steps.

This really is not a complicated minigame at all, for better or worse. Really, the one that's going to take the most time/effort to clear is the tea brewing.

Our next goal is a mere 14 steps. We'll be able to do that one quite easily with a whole 2 more items but I'll just ignore the rest until we can clear all the remaining goals in one run.

Which is a lot sooner than you would expect. We'll be done with Hamtaro before we're done getting items for Hamtaro!

Puzzle Remix

Now then, back to actual puzzles.

2. The puzzle has set a trap for you in its wording. There are no outright lies, but you will need to read carefully.
3. Just draw a line between the two trees with the greatest amount of space between them. ...No one ever said you had to choose two trees directly adjacent to one another.

Gotta admit, I do sort of like this one for a very simple and clear reason.

This is easily the dad joke of puzzles. I am so okay with that.

3. Picture the golfer taking a diagonal shot relative to the hole. If he hits the ball exactly 11 metres and angles the shot so that this first putt puts him exactly halfway between his starting position and the hole... Do you see where this is going?

You've got a good head on those shoulders, sonny. Mind you, you'd need one to wear that hat.

3. The first portrait you should remove is the girl positioned at five o'clock.

While this is a fairly simple puzzle once you decipher what it is asking, it's just badly worded. You start by picking either direction you can move and then you're stuck with that for the remainder of the attempt, you count five away from where your chosen start point and then it switches to six away just because and to top it all off, who even uses the phrase "anticlockwise?" That's just the translators trying to show off, I swear!

OK, ask away. If you've got any questions about the village or its history, I'm your man.
It's slightly off topic, but do you know anything about a relic known as the Elysian Box?
You may have heard people referring to it as "Pandora's Box" as well.

What I can tell you is that older people in this village jump at the very mention of the supernatural.
From what I gather, it seems they have some connection to the village in the days of its founding.
Unfortunately, that's all the info I can really give you on that subject. Sorry to let you down.

Oh do I have a problem with this puzzle too! Now, quite understandable that most people went for the minimum amount required to win (14/13/13 is the smallest split) under the simple plurality system this election is working under.

The problem there is that you're not asked what you need to win in general. You're asked what you need to "secure" victory - in other words, it's not at what point do you potentially win but rather when can you not lose? In many cases that's the same thing, sure, but not always.

3. Forty votes, minus the three votes cast by the candidates, leaves you with 37 votes. Find the number of votes it takes to gain a majority in a pool of 37 voters, and add one additional vote to that sum to get your answer.

In a simple plurality, all you need is to defeat your closest competitor by 1. With 2 candidates, that'd be a 21/19 split by default but with 3...

Now, personally, my other problem is that this is making the presumption that not only can all 3 candidates vote they would indeed vote for themselves. Given that it's a local election, sure, that first one is fair game but if you're the candidate who's going to get a whole one vote why not just vote for the person who's going to be in second forcing a deadlock? It's not exactly uncommon for people to vote for candidates that they don't want to win just so that someone else might lose.

But at the end of the day this is a simple game for everyone, including children, so expecting a puzzle to take into account tactical voting would be unfair. Still my first thought forever ago was that the answer WAS 21 because that's an actual majority and cannot be prevented even with a clever third candidate.

...Why yes, I do have a tendency of overthinking puzzles and not just the math ones. Why do you ask?

3. Though currently dry, the fountain's big bowl is usually filled with water. Why don't you take a moment to� reflect on this?

...I do have a problem with this one too, but it's with the US version and also not with the puzzle itself. You'll see!

Normally I wouldn't leave this in such a state but, well, look at this. Look at it! I know it's mostly just because of the DS algorithm for parsing written characters so I can kind of understand the "D" being mistaken for an "O." That "B" is very clearly not an "A" no matter how you slice it though!

...I know it's unfair to hold this against the game itself because this is Nintendo's fault moreso but I'm doing it anyway. Because this kind of thing crops up a lot more often than just this one here. And only in the US versions of the series to boot. This was a conscious decision that people realised was stupid in the first game of the series and still kept using in relevant and "appropriate" moments afterwards in lieu of an on-screen keyboard because???

This is a dumb design decision. It makes it annoying to deal with writing things. Not just puzzle answers. Naming your save file. Naming your hamster. Naming things and answering puzz;es in other games. Just... just stop it, okay?

Anyway, "BED" is...

50 years sounds like a long time for a person, but I suppose it's not very long for a village.
Quite so. But this fact just invites more questions. Why did this settler come here in the first place?
It's hard to believe he or she simply set forth from their old residence to found a new village...

Well, that took a bit longer than I'd have liked to get through... almost entirely my fault, yes. Moving on!

Same as before. No, really. You'd think it'd have changed by now but nope!

Dropstone

We'll grab these coins and then move on to... somewhere. There is something else we can do on this screen by examining the stage, but it just makes Luke remark that the competition hasn't started yet.

One thing that isn't immediately obvious is that functionally the competition area and somewhere we've already been would have some degree of visibility to one another.

As a result, in-game it's totally possible for Layton (or someone else) to notice this change here. The giant cow balloons should also easily be visible here but I may in fact just be putting more thought into this than Level-5 ever did.

...Almost certainly am, even.

Don't just come up to me and start talking like you know me, OK?
I was dreaming up the world's most amazing hat, but you came along and derailed my train of thought!
Oh, I did? I'm sorry about that.
Sorry, are you? Well, don't just say it, prove it! By solving this amazing puzzle I thought up.

But I... I don't want to? Also you're asking two at once here*.

Honestly, I just wanted to grab this now because it's time limited and once we continue the plot much further it falls into Granny R.'s shack and we're good about avoiding that.

Now that we know about the livestock competition, we can move left from the village centre here. We couldn't do this before because... reasons that I don't remember.

But now that we can, we'll grab two more hint coins and talk to this large man blocking the path.

Since you're new in town, let me clue you in on a few key facts about Dropstone.
I know you're interested, so don't act all bashful and reserved on my account!
Listen, if you only know one name in Dropstone, make sure it's Mr Anderson's.

But he's a top bloke who treats everyone with respect, even the postman. That'd be me, by the way.
You can tell a lot about a man by the way he treats his local postie.

That reminds me, I just saw a pair of unusual characters head up towards Mr Anderson's house.
They said they were policemen from London, but something about them seemed awfully fishy to me.
Two people, huh?
Are you referring to Inspector Chelmey and his assistant?
Chelmey, you say?

Do you think there's a connection between this Mr Anderson and the Elysian Box, Professor?
Well, it seems that Mr Anderson serves as the head of this community.
It's only natural that he'd know about who and what passes through this area.
He's a big fish all right. You're bang on the money about that.

Yes, I bet those two officers are being waited on like kings at Mr Anderson's as we speak.
But enough chit-chat. We've got a festival going on now, so go and have some fun!

And with that, we can now move past Parcelle and get closer towards the back of the village. But first, there's that small building right to our left which we can go into.

Like before, we'll grab these hint coins and then say hi to this lady.

Of course. My name is Hershel Layton, professor of archaeology, Gressenheller University.
Charmed, sir. Welcome to Dropstone, Professor Layton.
My name is Dorothea and I am a maid in the service of the Anderson family.
Tell me, what brings you to our humble village.
My companions and I are after an artefact known as the Elysian Box. Have you heard that name before.

The master, madam?
Oh yes, excuse my thoughtlessness. I keep forgetting you're new here.

W-we just met. How can you "keep" forgetting?

You see, I'd venture there's not a single resident of our village who doesn't know Mr Anderson.
I see. Well, if it's possible, we'd be very grateful for an audience with Mr Anderson.
Normally I'd say he'd be glad to receive you, but lately he's been preoccupied with his daughter.
I don't mean to pry, but has there been some issue between Mr Anderson and his daughter?

Secretly planning a trip alone? I hope she's not planning to run away...
What's worse is that the master has started to suspect something is going on behind his back.
But after much discussion, we servants have decided to give her a warm send-off.
So you're in support of allowing this girl to go off on her own? Why is that?

I see. May I enquire as to what those wishes might have been?
Well... I myself have only heard scraps of the story from other people, so I can't say much.
But whatever the request, it's one that the young mistress seems to feel is extremely important.
Oh, look at that. Here I am gossiping away when there's supper to prepare.
Please excuse me, Professor Layton. I need to get back to work.
Oh, wait a second! ...Rats, she's gone.

If she is, doesn't it seem strange to you that the family servants are cheering her on?
Yes, very. And think about the consequences should Mr Anderson find out what's been going on.
The servants must have a truly solid reason if they've resolved to keep a secret like this.

You're not the only one, Luke. But enough speculation. Let's go and explore more of the village.
OK, Professor!

Yeah, after all we're not here for plot or talky scenes. We're here for nature's greatest natural reasource: puzzles.

And look, here's one now!

Yep, he's a cute one. Oh, if you like cats, Professor, I've got just the puzzle for you!

But what if I don't like cats, Luke? What then?

I suppose we'll just have to make do by leaving and heading past where Parcelle was.

Like normal, we'll grab the two coins and then prod this individual for information.

I was hoping for a freebie, so I told Mr Beluga one of my puzzles to break the ice.
Unfortunately for me, he got all hot under the collar when he couldn't solve it.
Here, maybe you'll have better luck with it.

045 Baggage Claim

Puzzle Remix

1. There are probably a few boxes you're dying to move right off the bat, but if they're stuck in place, start by moving the boxes you can to free up some space.
2. Start with the two square boxes on the left. Moving them up as far as they will go should help you clear enough space to move one of the rectangular red boxes below.
3. Move one of those green square boxes down into the space where your luggage will eventually go to help you free up some space.

Now ordinarily this is where I'd make a sarcastic quip about how it's no wonder Mr. Beluga got angry over this because it's an awful sliding puzzle. Ordinarily. In this case, I'm going to say that I don't mind it too much because it's actually really easy despite how complicated it looks. I dunno, maybe I'm just biased because this is one I didn't need to look up an optimal solution for. :v:

End

Dropstone[/b]

With people like you around, maybe we might actually solve the mystery of the Molentary Express.

Could just be a wild rumour, though. Who knows?
An uncharted town?! Wow, I wonder if that's true!

Man, I hope so because that'd be interesting. And also it's a rumor in a video game.

Anyway, there IS another puzzle on this screen. But it's a mean one because you'd never think about it.

Because you get it from a giant empty field.

Yes, and the weather is so nice that even the animals grazing in the field seem to be in a good mood.
Hmm, this seems like the perfect time for a quick puzzle. See if you can solve this one.

I can't right now.

And we can't head past Romie towards that giant manor in the background either so we'll head to the right from here...

It is impressive, to say the least. I'm sure that massive manor belongs to Mr Anderson.
So that's where Inspector Chelmey and his assistant went, right?
I'd like to see this place for myself. Can we go and take a look?

Besides, I imagine the Andersons already have their hands full with their current guests.

And since this is a nice, quiant little spot with a good view we'll take a short break here and return for the livestock competition shortly...

Puzzle Remix

Hey so, remember what I said before? Yeah uh...

1. Start by placing a rain tile on each day where our friend didn't wear a hat.
2. Once you place the rain tiles down as described in Hint 1, you may notice that there are no more places left for your cloud tile. You could place it down on one of the days with a hat if that day was the second day of cloudy weather in a row, but no two days in this week appear to have been cloudy...

This is only a version difference I'm pointing out because of how unbelievably bizarre it ends up being. Remember, the above is the European version.

This is the American version. And despite all appearances, hints, etc. it IS considered a version unique split by things that keep track of that stuff. Why? I don't know. The only apparent difference I can see is that the EU's week in the solution starts on Monday whereas the US one starts on Sunday.

But that's not important enough to warrant a version difference notification so I don't get it. Any ideas?

1. Comparing A, B, or C with the picture on the far left is a lot of work, and it can be hard to find differences. So why not forget about that black-and-white picture for a moment and just focus on finding the differences between pictures A, B, and C?

1. When crossing back over from B to A, you want to move as quickly as possible, so make sure you put yourself in a position to cross over to A on the one-hour horse when possible. However, if you always make traveling back on your one-hour horse your top priority, you may end up wasting time on other legs of the journey. Don't assume you always need to return from B to A on the one-hour horse.
2. In order to move all your horses from A to B in the shortest amount of time, you'll need to cross over from A to B three times and return from B to A twice. How do you make the most effective use of this limited number of crossings?

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 27, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Dragonatrix, your gripe about that last rainy rule puzzle is pretty much worth 2 hint coins.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
The different versions of puzzle 52 are the same puzzle, just with a different label on "day 1" of the week. So I'll present just one solution, calling the days "day 1" through "day 7".

(And that's why they split it between European and US versions, I guess: so that Americans wouldn't say, "Hey, wait a minute, Monday through Sunday is six days of one week and the first day of a second week" or Europeans wouldn't say "Hey, wait a minute, Sunday through Saturday is the last day of one week and six days of a second week.")

052: It was cloudy on day 3, and he didn't wear his hat. If it had been cloudy on day 2, he would have worn his hat on day 3 as it would have been the second cloudy day in a row. Also, if it was cloudy on day 4, he would have worn his hat then, and he didn't. So day 2 and day 4 are solved: hat on day 2 means it was sunny, no hat on day 4 means it was rainy. We have one more rainy day to place, and day 6 is the only remaining non-hat day, so day 6 is where that last rainy day goes. Now we have: _, S, C, R, _, R, _ from day 1 to 7 (_ means "don't know yet"). On all three unknown days, he wore his hat -- which means days 5 and 7 can't have been cloudy, because then he'd have been breaking his rule. So day 1 was cloudy, and it was the second cloudy day in a row (day 7 of the previous week must also have been cloudy).

Therefore, from day 1 to day 7, the weather was: cloudy, sunny, cloudy, rainy, sunny, rainy, sunny.

051: It can't be C because the curly whisker of the top cat should align with the edge of the vertical stripe behind it. It can't be A because the rightmost eyelash of the top cat should be long. So B is the correct inverted reflection.

038: Move 1 and 2 to point B (2 hours so far). Ride 1 back to A (3 hours so far). Move 4 and 6 to B (9 hours so far). Ride 2 back to A (11 hours so far). Move 1 and 2 to B, done in 13 hours.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
That puzzle has a version difference because American calendars start the week on Sunday and European calendars start the week on Monday. This is one of those subtle cultural differences most people don't really think much about.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A puzzle sparked by a featureless green field. Well, Layton is nothing if not devoted to his craft.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
"A puzzle, eh? That reminds me of yet another puzzle. It's about puzzles..."

"Look, Professor! That sign says 'No Puzzles Allowed'!"
""You know, Luke, that reminds me of a puzzle..."
"No, Professor! You'll get us in trouble!"
"Well, you can always come back to this sign and solve the puzzle later."

I can just picture Layton at a funeral, asking people if they can slide the coffin lids to get the body out of the coffin.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nidoking posted:

I can just picture Layton at a funeral, asking people if they can slide the coffin lids to get the body out of the coffin.

Worse: The burial is a klotski puzzle.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
A Towers of Hanoi ripoff where each coffin has a lid, and you can put a smaller coffin on a larger lid or a larger lid on a smaller coffin, but not a smaller coffin or smaller lid on a larger coffin.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Puzzle Remix

Among other things that are identical between the two "variations" of this puzzle, the solution is one of them.

3. If the weather was cloudy on the Sunday of the previous week, he could wear his hat on Monday.

Since the solution is shared, I'll just go with posting it the once if you don't mind. Or even if you do for that matter.

Besides, two snappy dressers like us shouldn't fight - we'd get our clothes all dirty.

2. Don't forget to look at those lines in the background.
3. The eyebrows on each cat are worth a look too!

Eh, this is an easy one. Most of these spot-the-difference types are, really.

3. First, bring your one-hour and two-hour horses over to B, then return to A on your one-hour horse. Next, bring your four- and six-hour horses over to B and return to A on your two-hour horse. This method minimizes the overall amount of time necessary to move all your horses to point B.

Now this kind of logic puzzle I have trouble with a lot more often than I should. Because I am an idiot and never think things through properly.

Of course, Luke. Animals enjoy nature's glory as much as you and I do, if not more so.

Suspense

Dropstone

Alright, so we can see Mr. Anderson's house from here and this is kind of a nice lake. We've had a break so now we'll grab these hint coins and talk to this fellow.

Good afternoon. What are you doing there, sir?
Me? Oh, I'm just doing a little fishing in this here lake.
Sounds like a lot of work. Have you had much luck?
Actually, that's a good question. Now that I think about it, how many have I managed to catch today?

I'unno. If you don't know, I have no chance.

Yeah, sorry guy. We'll leave him to his fishing and start to head back to the main thoroughfare.

Immediately, we'll bump into Chelmey!

Well look who it is.
Hello, Inspector. Are you returning from the Anderson estate?
Hmph, I don't know where you get your information, Layton, but you're as sly as a fox.
As a matter of fact, I did just come from there, but Mr Anderson himself wasn't home.

I'm curious... Have you found a connection between Mr Anderson and the case you're investigating?
Not that it's any of your business, but perhaps you can be of help.

But when I got to the house the butler told me he wasn't home and that I should leave at once!
Can you believe it? Mind you, I wouldn't be surprised if he was just pretending not to be at home.
I went out of my way to go up and see the man. The least he could do is offer me a cuppa!

It's anyone's guess, Luke. We won't know more until we can ask him in person.
In that case, I suppose we should head over to the livestock competition Mr Anderson is judging.
Hmph, fine! Let his baronship roll around in the mud with his precious cows. I shall be elsewhere!
As far as I'm concerned, the whole thing's nothing more than a frivolous distraction for the rich!
I can only assume his obsession with the box stems from the excess of time and money on his hands.

We are always happy to cooperate, Inspector. Now, please excuse us.
Fine, off you go. Come along, Barton. We've got work to do.

Poor Barton. I kinda like and feel sorry for the guy.

All right, we'd better hurry back to the competition grounds!

We shall. We shall ignore any and all distra-

Oh, a puzzle you say? Priorities, Luke. Puzzles first, plot later!

Um, Professor? I think this chap here fell asleep standing up!
Judging by his uniform, he must be a security guard. I certainly don't approve of sleeping on the job...
Zzz... Perimeter is secuuure... Please confirm identity by solving this puzzle... Snork!

Oh, well, in that case we'll just leave. We don't really have anything to confirm with this man.

Instead we'll now immediately beeline toward the livestock competition.

No more distra- hey, she's new. What does she have to say?

It's pretty much useless as it is. Can you think of a way to turn the pieces into a solid square?

Well, personally I don't know how...

But if I did, then in that hypothetical alternative universe I would talk to Balsa again afterwards.

And then I would still be just as lost I'm quite sure.

Now we can return to our prime dimension and head straight for the livestock competition. No more distractions. None.

See, I told you. We're the best at this. We got here straight away!

Whew, we made it back in time to catch the competition!
If we've been informed correctly, Mr Anderson is judging the entries.
So he should be somewhere around here, right?
Indeed. I wonder which of the gentlemen walking around here is our man.
Uh-oh, it looks like the two men over there are getting pretty hot under the collar about something.
I wonder what the matter is.

So do I. Fortunately, it's really obvious which two it is; who's not a background object?

I know what's going on here. Someone's swapped my prize cow for this low-class heifer!
Well, what do you want me to do about it? Can you at least point out which cow is yours?
Now how do you expect me to do that?

Have you tried, I don't know, looking at the cows to see which is yours? Or checking their tags? Or literally anything but whining?

Oh dear. This is going to get ugly.

This fella here seems convinced someone's swapped his prize cow for another cow.
I'm tellin' you, that ain't no cow of mine. My girl was perfect from horns to tail!
See what I mean? There's just no convincing him.
We can't start the contest with him carrying on, but I don't know how we can clear the situation up.

Oh that's right. In case you forgot, Luke has magical powers and can cast Speak with Animals at will. Why? Well you see it's all very simple.

Of course, why didn't I think of that myself? I'll leave this one to you, Luke.

Nrmoo? Moooo!
I see.
Did you find out anything of use?
I certainly did. If I had to sum up our conversation, it'd go something like this...

Mandatory puzzle, albeit one we can quit out of, but we'll be skipping it for the moment. There's a reason for this, I swear!

Things should be all sorted out now though!
Oh, you betcha! Look at that build! That lustrous sheen! That soulful gaze! That's my cow, no doubt!
So everything's OK, then?

Well, Luke, you certainly have a way with animals.
Aw, it's nothing really. Hee hee.
Look over here, you two. They're about to announce the winner.

You named her Behemooth and you expected her to win? Well, hopefully she doesn't take it as badly as you and cast Meteor on us all.

You shouldn't have swapped your cow back, Clabber. If you'd kept quiet you'd be the winner, eh?
I was robbed! Robbed! The competition must've been rigged. Rigged, I tell you!

To think, he went through all that trouble to get his cow back, and ended up losing because of it.
Yes, I suppose it goes to show that things don't always go as planned in life.

It's going to take some effort to find him in a crowd this dense. Let's look around a bit.

Several minutes of off-camera searching, giving up and trying to leave the screen later later...

Yes, what a pity. I had a feeling he'd provide us with a lead on the Elysian Box.

I heard you chatting about Mr Anderson and thought to myself, "Hey, I can help!". Here, I'll point him out.

And with that, we transition into a mandatory puzzle that we CANNOT quit out of.

Puzzle Remix

1. Why not try sketching the parts of the net that you can't see?
2. When fully drawn out, the net is one strange and complicated shape.

1. Carefully study how the ropes are wrapped around each other. In at least a few places, the ropes may appear entangled but can actually be removed easily from the pile with a single tug. You've probably experienced this phenomenon before when untangling a mess of appliance wires at home.
2. Pay special attention to the length of red rope forming a loop, as this portion of the rope will form a knot when pulled and is the key to solving this puzzle. Remember, any loops that aren't caught within the knot that forms don't count toward your answer.

1. The final square will be four units tall by four units wide.
2. You have to cut the board in two separate places to solve this puzzle.

1. Just like in the first board-splitting puzzle, you need to cut the board in two places to make a second piece. Don't forget, since you'll be combining these two pieces into a single rectangle, you need to make sure all the little gaps and protrusions in your two boards fit together snugly.
2. After you make your cuts, you won't need to rotate either piece to make them fit together as a rectangle.

1. Don't overthink this one. Assume a variety of possibilities and try each one.

1. Keep in mind that all this information is describing Mr Anderson as he was "a minute ago." Things can change, so don't rely too heavily on the description.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

033: You could do a thing with lines drawn from outside the net, where if you cross an odd number of rope lines to get to a fish it's inside, and if you cross an even number of rope lines it's outside the net. But it's easier to notice that the fish directly in front of where the ropes enter the water is definitely in the net, and then just circle all the fish you can reach from that one without crossing any lines. All the other fish you could reach by crossing one line, so they're outside. Result: http://lpix.org/2405755/033-solved.png, with 7 fish inside the net.

044: Punting on this one. I've never been any good at visualizing knots.

042: That turned out easier than I thought it would be: http://lpix.org/2405757/042-solved.png and slide the top piece one square to the right and one square downwards.

043: This one was a little trickier, but once you start looking at the shape of the holes, the solution becomes a bit easier to see: http://lpix.org/2405758/043-solved.png and then take the "upper" piece and, without rotating it, slot it into the hole of the "lower" piece.

050: The double negatives are confusing, so let's replace each statement with one that's exactly equivalent:

A: D is lying.
B: C is lying.
C: A is truthful.
D: E is lying.
E: B is lying.

We know from the puzzle introduction that there are two truthful cows and three liars. C is the only one who said another cow was truthful; if C is telling the truth, then so is A. That means D is lying, so E is truthful -- but now we have three truthful cows, and we know that's not the case. So C is lying, and therefore so is A. So D is truthful, E is lying, and B is truthful. The lying cows are A, C and E.

048: Only one person has a beard, hat, cane AND bowtie: the man on the upper left, with the blue beard, pinkish hat and white gloves. Edit: I just looked at the hint coin for this one. I got it right, but that isn't a pinkish hat he's wearing. It's his bald head, because his hat (the brown one in the upper left corner of the picture) was just blown off his head by the strong wind, despite his attempts to hang on to it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that the last plot-lock of a puzzle there is framed almost like something a real person would actually say.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Puzzle Remix

3. Since the rim of the whole net is fashioned from a single piece of rope with no tears, take the drawing you did for Hint One and count the number of fish on the inside of the net. That's your answer.

3. Do you see the yellow loop of rope? It may look tangled in with the others, but it turns out that when it's pulled, this rope will slip free of all the other ones in the pile. Now, what about those other two ropes?

I am pretty drat awful at picturing this sort of thing in my head to be completely honest. I still don't get why the answer is what it is; it just looks, sounds and feels wrong to me.

He must be hopelessly addicted to puzzles if he's talking about them in his sleep. Even I don't do that!

H-how do you actually know one way or the other, Layton? Unless someone tells you that you do, you're just presuming!

Nyum nyum... Zzzzzz...

3. Doesn't that area around the hole in the board look like a good place to cut?

We're actually very close to being done with the camera parts now. Still a little bit to go though...

3. When cut properly, the two boards both have a maximum length of four units. To make a piece with that length, try cutting the board below the fourth square down from the upper-left corner. You'll need to make one more cut, but we'll leave that one to you.

Something amazing! I thought I'd have to scrap this board, but now I can use it to build my shed.

2. Assign a breed to a cow and then run through all the cows' statements to see if they are consistent with your findings. You should come across the solution soon.
3. Let's assume for a moment that cow A is a Troomoo. If you assume this to be true and go through the statements for each cow, you should come to the conclusion that you must have three Troomoo cows and two Nowheys. Since you know this to be false, you know that your original assumption must be incorrect.

This is a really, REALLY easy logic puzzle. Which it pretty much has to be out of necessity because hard forced puzzles can just kill the pacing something fierce.

Alright, so where were we?

Suspense

Puzzle Remix

2. The wind in Dropstone seems exceptionally strong today.
3. "Over there! See the guy chasing after his hat? That's him!"

Okay, if I can be real for a second. This scene coming up right here? It's Good. I like this scene. This game cannot get it right often, but it gets it right here.

Dropstone

The one and only, my friend! And with whom do I have the pleasure of speaking?
The name is Hershel Layton. My friends and I have come to this fine place in search of the Elysian Box.
I thought a man of influence such as yourself might be able to offer us some direction.
The Elysian Box, you say? Why would you want to go chasing after a thing like that?
I take it you are familiar with it?

Silence

I also believe my dear mother once searched for the very box of which you speak.

Iris (Music Box vers.) :siren: :siren:
hey look its something new and different and cool please listen to this (i will not be saying this often)

Interesting. Please, elaborate.
Ah, well, my birth mother died when I was very young.

She founded this village way back when. The kindest soul I've ever met. Sharp, too.

Since I never knew my own mother, I suppose it would be fair to call Sophia my real mother.
Even after my wife passed away, Sophia continued to treat me as one of her own.

So she made efforts of her own to search for it. Fascinating. Tell me, where might Sophia be now?

Sadly, I never found out why she was so intent on getting her hands on that box.
I see. I'm sorry for your loss.
Thank you. Well, my mother may have known something about the subject, but she's gone now.
Now you know as much as I do. I regret that I couldn't be more help to you, sir.
Not at all, Mr Anderson. I've learned a great deal from our conversation. You have my thanks.
Oh, one thing before you go, Mr Layton. Please take a look around you.

These picturesque hills... These happy people. Dropstone has been blessed with so much.

Dropstone must never be allowed to wither and die like so many other villages.
After all, this place owes its current prosperity to the many sacrifices she made.

Silence

Ah, forgive my ramblings. Once I start talking, I sometimes have trouble stopping.
Enjoy your time in Dropstone and be well. Good day.

Okay, you can stop caring about the plot again now.

...Why, yes, Iris is almost entirely the reason why that scene is so good.

Dropstone

Oh, I wouldn't say that, Luke. It would appear this village is inextricably linked to the Elysian Box.

Well, that is something for us to ponder later. For now, let's make our way to the station.
All right, professor!

With that, we're done with the scene and can continue on towards the train station.

But first, I skipped over a thing for pacing reasons!

Well, from the look of your duds, I'd say you've got your act together, so try this puzzle on for size.

Nah, I'll pass. Thanks anyway, Lopez.

Nick has nothing new or interesting for us, so we'll continue making our way back.

It's easy to have missed, but Jacques wandered off after we last spoke to him. He's finally come back on-screen so we have to nag him some more.

...No, I mean we actually have to.

Everyone's efforts will have been in vain if she misses her train out of town... Oh my, oh my.
Maybe women just need more time to get ready for things like this... Oh, why must she make me worry?
Excuse me, but are you waiting for someone?

Luke, perhaps it's best to leave him be. Sometimes it's best not to barge into the affairs of others.
Well, if he doesn't want us to talk to him, maybe he shouldn't be thinking out loud!

Hmm. He's keeping mum about something involving a girl and not wanting to tell "the master" huh? I wonder if Dorothea knows something about this.

Oh, uh, maybe but maybe not.

Say, that reminds me of a puzzle I once heard. Would you care to hear it, sir?

Sadly, no, I would not. I was after more information.

I guess we'll just leave her to her apples instead. Now, I do believe we were heading for the station...

Careful, Flora. If you don't watch where you're going, you're likely to run right in to someone.
Oops, sorry. This is all so new to me that I forget to pay attention to where I'm going.

Yeah, for one thing, these people are all people and not robots.

Wow, Flora, you certainly seem to be excited!
Just don't stand around gawking for too long or we might accidentally leave you behind.

One short fade to black later...

...Huh?
Professor? Luke? Where did you two go?

Oh, dear. We must have become separated in the crowd back there. Let's retrace our steps.
It's going to be awfully hard to find her with all these people about.
Now, where could that girl have gone off to?

Oh, there she is.

Flora, where did you run off to?
Sorry, there were so many people that I must have lost you.
I turned to look at something and, before I knew it, you two were gone.
Well, I'm relieved you found your way back to us.
With so many people around, who knows how long it could have taken us to find you.
I'll be more careful from now on, I promise.
Although, you know, I heard a few interesting things while I was wandering around over there.
Oh? What did you hear?

If we can track him down, maybe he can tell us something we don't know.
I heard from one person that he's been wandering around near the station.
That is interesting news. Let's head to the station and see if we can find this Romie.
Good on you, Flora! That's some top-notch intelligence you gathered out there.
Hee hee hee. Aww, it was nothing.

It's honestly really easy to miss that Lulu's turned back up as well. She kind of blends into the background in my opinion, but we've noticed her so...

Oh, hi there. Do you, um, need something or something?
We are currently in search of an item known as the Elysian Box. Does that name ring any bells?
The Elysian Box? Nope, never heard of it. But I do know a great puzzle about a box! Check it out!

Um, no thanks. I think you've misunderstood the question.

Instead, we'll head to the left here since we're looking for Romie who's "near" the station and that counts as near to me.

Alas, no Romie but we'll see what these gentlemen can do to help expedite our search instead. Starting with Parcelle as to go left-to-right again.

Tell me, how's the festival treating you? Make sure you enjoy it all while you can, eh?
Truth is, I'd like to be out there having fun with you, but I've got post to deliver.
The directions I received for my deliveries were a bit vague, though. Maybe you could help me?

Ah, um, sorry no time to help with that today.

Yeah, yeah, we have other priorities right now. How about you, Kostya?

Everyone's been busting their buns to get Dropstone ready for today's festivities.
Thank goodness you saved the day. It would've been a mess if that spat back there ruined the celebration.
Yep, everyone's been working like mad. I spent all day yesterday making flags.
I helped put them up, too, and while I worked, I thought up a puzzle. You want to hear it, right?

Oh I sort of don't if I'm being honest!

Anyway, since this is a dead-end I suppose we'll head on south towards the station proper. Just to be safe.

Hm, I don't recognise this lady. Perhaps she'll be able to help direct us to Romie.

As you're new here, let me fill you in on that family.
The Andersons live in the mansion at the north end of town. Makes you turn green with envy, eh?
Anyway, Mr Anderson has a young daughter who's grown up to become quite a beautiful young lady.

That's... really not unusual, lady. I think you're just projecting.

Also, hey, we finally get a name for Mr. Anderson's daughter. That's useful!

Plus, I hear she's very respectful towards her father, unlike most youngsters.
The only thing kids these days love more than talking back to their parents are those baggy jeans!

"And I remember when MTV was about the music!" is all I can think of here for some reason.

Oh, sorry, I do believe I've gone off on a bit of a rant. Did you need something from me?
Actually, yes. Tell me, madam, have you ever heard of a rare antique known as the Elysian Box?

That name's new to me, hmmm... I can't help you at all, so will you leave me alone now?
Oh, but you know, you did just remind me of a gem of a puzzle I know that concerns a box.

It's strange but I'm not particularly vested in this one for some reason.

...Honestly, yeah, this one IS hard but let's presume I'm competent and can solve it.

Because, much like Balsa, she has a second puzzle behind this first one. We don't care though.

Anyway, I don't like this woman so we'll just head to the left.

Certainly. How may I be of assistance?
It seems you've done a great deal of investigating today.
Tell me, during the course of your enquiries, you didn't hear anything about my daughter, did you?
Your... daughter, sir?

Sophia and my daughter were very close, so her death came as a great shock to Katia.
If you should see her, would you please tell her that her father wishes she'd come home?
If a fine gentleman such as yourself delivers the message, she just might listen.
Unfortunately, our train is leaving soon, so I may not be able to be much help at all.
Katia is my - no, our - only child. She means everything to me and I'd be forever in your debt if you could help me.

Your guess is as good as mine.
But judging from her family and upbringing, I'd imagine she's both beautiful and refined.
Steady on, Professor!

While I'm pretty sure that Layton is not actually going to hit on Katia, we have other things to worry about right now. Like how Romie is right here.

Oh yeah, that thing. People say it kills whoever manages to prise open its lid. Pandora's Box, they call it.
I just found out about it during the course of my travels. But that box isn't what I'm really after.
Well then, if I may be so bold as to ask, what are you looking for, sir?

A place only the chosen may visit. The only way in, I hear, is on the Molentary Express.
That train, and its many mysteries, have been the subject of my research for years.

Wow! So when can we set out for it? How do we get there?
Yeah... That's the one detail I haven't managed to pin down yet.

Anyway, it's probably something like that. I'll just have to keep searching until I find a way in.
Interesting. Thank you for your time.

It's a bit early to celebrate, but it looks like our journey on the Molentary Express isn't over yet.
All right, you two. Let's start making our way back towards the station.
OK, Professor!

Fortunately, it's a whole one screen away so...

We'll just talk to Sammy twice in a row, since the first is a puzzle plot barrier we've smashed through already, and see what that gets us.

This train isn't ready to move quite yet, so while you're waiting, I'll lay this sweet puzzle on you.

Nah, that's fine but for the sake of expedience I'll just pretend that I actually solved this one.

Leaving Dropstone

Silence

Hm?
Huh?

I feel like I recognise a non-zero amount of these people. The one closest to the train however...

And with that, she turns to board the train but...

Instead she gets momentarily distracted by Layton's existence.

Then she boards the train.

I believe we may have stumbled upon Mr Anderson's dear daughter.
That's a cracking send-off she's having.
Considering the size of the party, I doubt she's just going on holiday.

End

1. You know that C's wearing red pants and isn't wearing anything he was previously, so his shirt has to be blue.

1. "If Johnny gave Thomas one apple, the two men would each have the same number of apples." A little critical thinking applied to the above statement tells you that Johnny must have two apples more than Thomas.

1. Consider each of the two layers of cubes separately.

1. If you read clues one through four and are still stuck, try starting from clue four and working your way backward.
2. The red house is closer to the tree than the green house.

1. You have three paints you can use on the flag, but that doesn't mean those are the only colours at your disposal.
2. Maybe you've noticed that the white colour of the flag's fabric is another colour your can use in making your designs.

1. When you start, you only know the position and orientation of the spade, so suss out where the other tiles should go by examining the second of the two cube images.
2. The yellow-circle tile goes directly above the spade.
3. The green-club tile should be placed in the square above the yellow circle.

Honestly, this may just be me but I really cannot manage to work this one out on my own even with all three hints. I'm presuming that's just me though. Still, better safe than sorry right?

1. Who wouldn't want to show off their new car or television for a while?

1. The number of links in each small chain is a crucial clue that will help you solve the puzzle.
2. You haven't been opening only the links on the ends of each small chain, have you?

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
39, A Change of Clothes: Since C has red trousers and a blue shirt, that means A has white trousers and a red shirt, and B has red trousers and a white shirt.

31, Pass the Apples: This word problem is identical to the equations J - 1 = T + 1, T - 2 = 3(J - 2); solving them, we find that Thomas has one apple and Johnny has three

46, Odd Shape Out: Try as I might, I can't get shape D to play well with the others

35, Which House Where: I drew some Venn diagrams for possible house locations and then eliminated the ones that would make the other clues incorrect. A is green, B is blue, C is red, and D is yellow

54, Painting the Flag: There's probably some way to math this, but I found it easier to just write out all of the legal permutations and then count them. You can have 3 flags with a white background and single middle colored stripe, 3 with a color background and a single middle white stripe, 6 with a color background and a differently colored middle stripe, and 6 where all three stripes are differently colored, for a total of 18 flags.

40, The Patterned Box: I found this way easier to solve when I had an actual cube in my hand to play with. My solution.

49, A Royal Showoff: His Majesty bought a phone, an item that he wouldn't be able to properly show off without other people also owning one as soon as possible.

55, Sammy's Necklace: Pick one of the links and disassemble the whole thing, then use the result to link the remaining chains into a single necklace. This way, Sammy only opens and closes 7 links and spends 14 pounds.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

^^^^^ Algebra's wrong on 031. Second equation should be 3(T-2) = J+2. ^^^^^

039: C ended up with red trousers from A, so A must have kept his red shirt. And since nobody's shirt or trousers matched, C ended up with a blue shirt from B, so B must have kept his blue pants. Therefore, B ended up with C's white shirt, and A ended up with C's white pants. The new outfits are:

A - Red shirt, white pants
B - White shirt, blue pants
C - Blue shirt, red pants

031: I'll skip the algebra. Johnny has 7, Thomas has 5.

046: C fits on the bottom, then A and B easily form the top layer. D is the odd shape out.

035: D is not red (clue 4). It can't be blue either (clue 1). It can't be green (clue 3). So D is yellow. The only one farther from the lake than D is A, so by clue 2, A is green. That leaves red and blue in B and C. C is closer to the pine tree than B, so C is red and B is blue. Results: A is green, B is blue, C is red, D is yellow.

054: Possible color patterns with no repeated color: ABC, ACB, BAC, BCA, CAB, CBA. Patterns with one repeated color that are allowed: ABA, ACA, BAB, BCB, CAC, CBC. And that's it. 12 designs.

040: Found time to solve this now. My answer: http://lpix.org/2414196/040-solved.png

049: The telephone is useless unless more people have one.

055: Take one of those chains and open every one of its seven links. There are now seven chains remaining, and seven "gaps" to be filled; fill each gap with one of those seven links. Total cost: £14.

Tax Refund fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 3, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Everybody's been pretty good so far, but I think the flag's a bit different from what people are saying.

...well, I'm assuming that a flag design back-to-front is different from the same colors front-to-back, which may not be true, but here we go.

The left section of the flag nearest the pole can be any of 4 colors - A, B, C, and white. Then the middle section can be the 3 colors that aren't the left section, and the right section can be the 3 colors the aren't the middle section.

4 * 3 * 3 = 36.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Glazius posted:

Everybody's been pretty good so far, but I think the flag's a bit different from what people are saying.

...well, I'm assuming that a flag design back-to-front is different from the same colors front-to-back, which may not be true, but here we go.

The left section of the flag nearest the pole can be any of 4 colors - A, B, C, and white. Then the middle section can be the 3 colors that aren't the left section, and the right section can be the 3 colors the aren't the middle section.

4 * 3 * 3 = 36.

You know, I think you're right.

If white isn't allowed as a color, then following your reasoning, the answer works out to 3 * 2 * 2 = 12, which is what I came up with. But you're right; white is totally a legitimate flag color. Therefore, I'm changing my answer to 36.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Alright, so this page is also getting pretty full now too and we're still quite a ways off the next one. Like before, in the interest of readability and not waiting for a miracle, I'll just post updates on the test-poster for the remainder of the page.

Speaking of which!

...Next one'll be up tomorrow most likely. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Okay, it's tomorrow.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

I am unbelievably envious of how easy people that aren't me seem to have found this one. Teach me your ways, magical people.

Actually, that one was NOT easy at all for me. It might look easy because you're just seeing the final answer instead of the hour I spent waving my hands in the air tracking folds, and which edge ends up where.

Now for solutions to this set of puzzles:

056: The X is in position 2. Moon is 2 below diamond, so moon can't be in 4. Moon and diamond are in 5 and 3, or 3 and 1, respectively. Since the circle must be above the diamond, diamond can't be 1, so moon and diamond are in 5 and 3. Star is next to moon, so star is 4 and circle is 1. From top to bottom, then: circle, X, diamond, star, moon.

057: Red dots represent rose positions: http://lpix.org/2421467/057-solved.png

W06: Inscribe a circle inside the square, then inscribe a square inside the circle. Result will be a diamond whose points are the midpoints of the original square's sides, which is half as big as the original. The answer is 2, since the original square was twice as big as the final square.

W07: A must be an even number, since B + B = 1A. B must be 1 greater than A, so B is an odd number. And B must be at least 5 or it wouldn't have carried. 5 + 5 = 10, and A = 0 doesn't work. 7 + 7 = 14, and A = 4 doesn't work. 9 + 9 = 18, and that works. B = 9, A = 8, and the equation was 89 + 9 = 98.

W08: For each pair of adjacent numbers in one row, add together all their digits to get the number below that pair. So for 160 and 144, 1+6+0 + 1+4+4 = 7 + 9 = 16, and so on. The ? represents 1+6 + 1+8 = 7 + 9 = 16, as well.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I was sort of surprised at the answer to 31, Pass the Apples. The problem is at best ambiguously worded:

quote:

Johhny and Thomas are each carrying some apples. If Johnny gave Thomas one apple, the two men would each have the same number of apples. Conversely, if Thomas gave Johnny two apples, Johnny would have three times the number that Thomas has.

While most of the time people clarify by adding 'now', that is the number that Thomas is currently carrying. Which leads to a solution of 4 for Johnny and 2 for Thomas. Maybe it's intentional, but I would have expected them to try to trick you with strict grammar than rely on a looser, vague inference of what they intended. (Note that in the solution they explicitly leave out the verb, which is what you'd normally do in a sentence like this).

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

quote:

I am unbelievably envious of how easy people that aren't me seem to have found this one. Teach me your ways, magical people.

Nothing magical about what I did. I built an actual cube using the pictures as guides and then unfolded it again and drew the result.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

56:With X in second position, neither moon nor star can be alone at the top. The diamond couldn't be above the circle, so it's not there either, leaving only the circle in Position 1. The only place for the moon to go that's two below anything is the very bottom, putting the diamond in Position 3 and the star in Position 4.

W06:The diameter of the inscribed circle is equal to the length of the original square; when we cut to form the second square we've effectively trimmed off the corners of the original on the lines connecting the midpoint of the sides. This cuts each one of the four quadrants of the square in half, which means the new square is half the size of the first one.

W07:AB+B = BA where A & B are decimal digits is equivalent to (10A + B) + B = (10B + A) where A & B are integers in [0,9]. We also require A =/= B. The equation simplifies to 9A = 8B, and it's easy to see that the solution is A = 8 and B = 9.

W08: For any two numbers x & y, the rule is | x - y | modulo 495, so the answer is 2.
Or fine, take the sum of the digit sums and the answer is 16.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh no! The train is being robbed by Poison Ivy! Quick, detective, set up the Gentleman's Batsignal!

(The gentleman's batsignal is the sound of a bat crying out, which is much less obtrusive than a big ol' spotlight.)

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
56: The X has to be in position two. The circle has to be above the diamond, which has to be two above the moon, and the only pattern that fits that is circle in position 1, diamond in 3, and moon in 5, leaving star in position 4. So the answer is Circle, X, Diamond, Star, Moon

W06: The big square is 2 times bigger. The circle is tangent to the big square and has a tangent square inside it, so pointing the corners of the small square at the points where the circle is tangent makes it pretty obvious.

W07: A = 8, B = 9. Because x+x = 2x, A has to be even, and from there it's simply a matter of trying the possibilities.

W08: The answer should be 16, I think? The number is found by adding everything (everything being the individual digits, that is).

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Who wants an update that's like 90% cutscenes?

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

059: This one actually stumped me during the first thread. And since I remember its solution, I'm going to recuse myself from solving it this time.

The others, though, I don't remember, so I'll solve them.

W10: Can't be A; the lower left chicken has its eye closed in A, but open in B and C (and in the flipped original). And can't be C; the lowest chick is facing left in C, but right in B and C (and left in the flipped original). So B is the right answer.

W11: I'll skip the map I drew. Territory C will be blue.

W12: C3 moves to B2 (the center). Now white threatens a horizontal line on row 2, and a diagonal line on A3-B2-C1. Black can only block one of those two threats, and white will win next turn.

W13: I remember from my childhood math books that the answer is C, but I still have no idea how that works.

W14: This one is a classic. Unless you're starting or ending on an island, you'll have to enter AND leave it by different bridges, so it would have to have an even number of bridges. If any island has an odd number of bridges, there's no way to traverse all of its bridges once unless you either started on, or ended on, that island. If there are just two odd-numbered islands, then make one the start point and the other the end point and you'll win; if there are more than two such islands, you can't win. Since there are only two odd-numbered islands in this map, and the goal is one of them, it's possible -- but only if you start at the other odd-numbered island, which is A. Note that it's not even necessary to trace the bridge routes; just look for the odd-numbered islands.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

W12: Top-right corner piece goes to the middle. If you've ever played tic-tac-toe in your life it's hardly even a puzzle and the first clue is a gimme even if you haven't.
W14: The hard way to solve this involves tracing the route, but the much easier way is just to realize that the beginning and end must be the only islands with odd numbers of roads going to them, which leaves only A.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I remember the answer to 059, but this is the last one of the story puzzles I remember! Hooray, everything is new again.

W10: B. C's lower chick is facing the wrong way, and the third chicken down on A has its eyes closed.

W11: Blue, though I did this in my head and without writing any of it down so I probably screwed up somewhere along the line.

W12: Top right to middle. It sets up a fork and black can only block one move.

W13: C. A is the result from cutting it in half without the twist, and B is... I don't know but it's not getting cut in half properly.

W14: A. It's the only island (other than the goal) with an odd number of bridges. So you have to leave from there in order to make sure the parity works out. Oh, and the path is A-B-C-D-C-E-B-A-E-D-F-E-Goal

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Tax Refund posted:

W13: I remember from my childhood math books that the answer is C, but I still have no idea how that works.

GeneralYeti posted:

W13: C. A is the result from cutting it in half without the twist, and B is... I don't know but it's not getting cut in half properly.

W13: B! In addition to only having one 'side', a Mobius strip only has one edge--trace along it and see. Since we never cut that edge when we cut the Mobius strip down the middle, it must still be one continuous edge in the resulting shape. In other words, we can't wind up with two separate loops, despite having cut it in half. B is the only shape like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Max Peck posted:

W13: B! In addition to only having one 'side', a Mobius strip only has one edge--trace along it and see. Since we never cut that edge when we cut the Mobius strip down the middle, it must still be one continuous edge in the resulting shape. In other words, we can't wind up with two separate loops, despite having cut it in half. B is the only shape like that.

You're right. C is the result of cutting B in half, but B is the result of cutting the original Möbius strip in half.

Changing my answer for W13.

• Locked thread