Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Isn't Wily also Weil from the Z series? Well, I just sort of assumed that, I can't actually remember any details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Clarste posted:

Isn't Wily also Weil from the Z series? Well, I just sort of assumed that, I can't actually remember any details.

No, Weil is his own man.

I think there's a character in X6 that people speculate is Willy, but it's X6 so.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Model W Is Weil though. Because cursing your enemies with literal immortality continues to be an incredibly bad idea.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kurieg posted:

Model W Is Weil though. Because cursing your enemies with literal immortality continues to be an incredibly bad idea.

"Lord X, what will we do with our human enemy who just nearly caused the extinction of all sentient life on Earth?"

"idk give him an immortal body and shoot him into space or something."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

X cannot kill a human. At all.
And if he anything like OG megaman he can't keep them locked up forever.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Here's some translation stuff, now that a new videos been posted...

X Receives the Shoryuken

Dr. Light: Wow! You are so cool! I’m not worthy!!! I’m not worthy!!! Step inside for a special surprise!

Dr. Light: Good, you’ve made it here! X! This time I'm teaching you THIS technique! Here! Get in here at once.

You win this round English localization :mmmhmm:...

X HEARS SIGMA'S VOICE AFTER MAVERICK REFIGHTS

Sigma: It has been a while, Mega Man X.

X: What?! Sigma!!

Sigma: It seems that the X-Hunters have failed. But don’t worry, I’ve arranged for some new toys for you to play with…

Sigma: It’s been a while, X.

X: …! Sigma?!

Sigma: Evidently, the Counter Hunters have failed as well. But never fear. I have something very fun prepared, just for you. I’m waiting at the Central Computer.

So, nothing ridiculously different, though this is another instance where someone calls X "Mega Man X" when they were supposed to just call him "X" in the original script.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 13, 2016

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

No, Weil is his own man.

I think there's a character in X6 that people speculate is Willy, but it's X6 so.

Isoc. He looks similar and has a part in the story but X6 is such a mess that he doesn't make any sense anyway.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Hoss Corncave posted:

Isoc. He looks similar and has a part in the story but X6 is such a mess that he doesn't make any sense anyway.

Yeah...by the way, if anyone was ever confused on just what the heck Alia was talking about in regards to the "Erasure Incident" (when Isoc just suddenly dies), that was an actual thing in Mega Man Xtreme 2, one of the Gameboy games.

And as another interesting aside, that was the same game where Iris made her very first introduction! She was your navigator in fact :D!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Fionordequester posted:

And as another interesting aside, that was the same game where Iris made her very first introduction! She was your navigator in fact :D!

Are you talking about Xtreme? Because those came after X4.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Are you talking about Xtreme? Because those came after X4.

Xtreme2 is chronologically before x4, and it's where zero and iris meet because she serves as zeros navigator.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
So the Xtreme games are canon then?

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Zain posted:

So the Xtreme games are canon then?

They aren't contradicted, and X6 directly references the plot of Xtreme 2, but otherwise they have no real impact on the series

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Megaman canonicity is a dark and nebulous knotted web rivaled only by the Zelda Timeline. When the Zero games were made X5 was the last X game to have come out, and is the last one that's referenced in either Z or ZX, but X6 does reference the events of Xtreme 2.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Kurieg posted:

Megaman canonicity is a dark and nebulous knotted web rivaled only by the Zelda Timeline. When the Zero games were made X5 was the last X game to have come out, and is the last one that's referenced in either Z or ZX, but X6 does reference the events of Xtreme 2.

And there is no official word on what happened between classic and X, other than there not being some form of cataclysm

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Kurieg posted:

Model "A" exists in the ZX series and thus definitely means that Axl is canon, so that's at least 1 post-X5 reference.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Shiki Dan posted:

Model "A" exists in the ZX series and thus definitely means that Axl is canon, so that's at least 1 post-X5 reference.

A stands for Albert, though his powers are a reference to Axl, yes.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Shiki Dan posted:

You hurt me with your words.

ANYWAY. Today we... kill Sigma again? Already? drat, alright, its the exciting conclusion to Megaman X2! Join us Monday where we will celebrate our victory by having a kegger at the Hunter Base.

Megaman X2:
8. Cigma Hunter ver. | Irregular ver.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Alright then, here comes the final script comparison! Personally, I would recommend at least reading the Epilogue, as it is both FAR more poetic, and it goes in a totally different direction in tone than the English one. Here we go...

ZERO (IF YOU COLLECTED ALL OF THE PARTS)

Sigma: Look who I found wandering around, Mega Man! My friend here has a small problem with you. It seems that you let him die, and he’s not too happy about that! I think it’s time he repays the favor!

(Zero appears and destroys Copy Zero)

Zero: Sigma, you should have studied the blueprints closer! There is only one Zero!

Sigma: Wait, Zero! I know your secret! You were destined to follow me!

Zero: Maybe so, but I still don’t like you!

Sigma: Fine. If you will not follow me, then I’ll watch you die once again!

(Sigma runs away)

X: Zero!

Zero: Sorry to keep you waiting, Mega Man X. The greetings will have to wait. We’ve got to defeat all the Mavericks including Sigma! I’ll take care of the main computer, and you follow Sigma. Let’s go!

(Zero breaks open the floor)

Zero: Here it is, X! Sigma lies just ahead!

Sigma: It’s been a while, X. I have been eagerly awaiting this day. Now, let's do introductions. This here is my new partner. Old comrades, fight to your heart's content!

(Zero appears and destroys Copy Zero)

Zero: Hey Sigma! Was that seriously the best copy you could make of me?!

Sigma: drat you Zero! I should be your master! Why do you defy me?!

Zero: Because I hate you.

Sigma: Tch!

(Sigma withdraws)

X: Zero!

Zero: Sorry to have kept you waiting, X, but let's save the hellos for later! Right now, we need to stop Sigma! I will destroy this base’s main computer. X, you chase after Sigma!

It’s here! X! The next room is where Sigma’s true form is!

Love how blunt Zero is in the Japanese version, but I also really liked Sigma's dialogue in the English version. It's much more detailed, and he comes off as much more of a sadist, whereas in the Japanese version, he just kind of...gets straight to the point. Which isn't nearly as interesting.

ZERO (IF YOU DIDN'T COLLECT ALL OF THE PARTS)

Sigma: Look who I found wandering around, Mega Man X! My friend here has a small problem with you. It seems that you let him die, and he’s not too happy about that! Now I think it is time he repays the favor!

(X fights Zero and wins)

X: Zero…

Zero: ….

X: Do you remember me?

Zero: Yeah… I guess so… Sorry to cause you so much trouble. X, you need to go after Sigma! I’ll try and destroy the main computer.

X: Take care of yourself, Zero. I don’t have time to put you back together again!

Zero: I’ll be OK. Get going, X!

Zero: Here it is, X! Sigma lies just ahead!

Sigma: It’s been a while, X. I have been eagerly awaiting this day. Now, let's do introductions. This here is my new partner. Old comrades, fight to your heart's content!

(X fights with Zero and wins)

X: Zero…

Zero: …X?

X: ...! Has your memory returned? Zero!

Zero: Yeah… looks like I caused quite a bit of trouble for you, huh? X, You chase after Sigma! I will destroy the Main Computer!

X: Zero! Do you...WANT to die?!

Zero: I’ll be fine. Hurry up and go!

It’s here! X! The next room is where Sigma’s true form is!

Gotta love X's "don't have time to put you back together again" line in the English version :allears:

X VS. SIGMA

Sigma: You are merely a bothersome insect, Mega Man X! It is about time that I crush you beneath my heel!

(X battles Sigma and wins)

Sigma: Mega Man X, I have lost to you again… Each defeat only makes me stronger and serves to bring you closer to your ultimate doom! But, something is not right… I… don’t quite understand… Why did Zero…he is… last… of the doctor’s creations…Arrrrrggggghhhhh…

Sigma: X! Must you haunt me to the very end?! If you wish to fight...Then I, the newly revitalized Lord Sigma, shall be the instrument of your destruction!

(X battles Sigma and wins)

Sigma: X…It appears that I have lost once again…However, I can always come back again and again, and harvest yet more power. Your victory is only temporary! But, Zero, why…he’s…the last of…Wi…num…ers…GRRRAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!

Again, the Japanese script is much more explicit in regards to certain plot details. Where the English just says that Zero is "the last of the doctor's creations", the Japanese actually says "the last of Wily's numbers" (in reference to the fact that each of the Robot Masters were assigned numbers in the original Mega Man series). And of course, the English INSISTS on saying "Mega Man X" when the original script only has people calling him "X". It really doesn't seem as though our localizers were fully aware of everything happening the story, does it :( ?

Now, let me explain something about the "instrument of your destruction" line, because this was another liberty taken by me. So, you know those old cliched lines, such as "the writing is on the wall", or "your days are numbered", or "the blind leading the blind"? They're every day expressions that were borrowed from the Bible, so as a result, they somehow managed to be both poetic AND cliched at the same time.

So going back to the script here, the completely literal translation of what Sigma says is something like "how about this powered-up Sigma buries you in darkness!” So, obvious grammatical awkwardness aside, "burying someone in darkness" is a VERY common Anime line that you'll find said in many video games and TV shows, usually by a villain. Now, I'm not sure whether it's meant to be poetic or not, but I'm guessing it is...so that's why I went with the "instrument of your destruction" line. I did that in order to have him say something that was equally poetic, but also did NOT smack of "literally transliterated Japanese media-kun", as someone called Vilkacis so aptly put it. Because if you EVER find "I will bury you in darkness" or "Fufufufufu" in any kind of fan translation...you can bet dollars to donuts that the fan translators translated said video game too literally.

That said though, if you don't like the slightly exaggerated route that I took, there are also other options if you want the line to be a bit more accurate. For example, you could just have Sigma say "I shall send you to oblivion!" or "I shall welcome you to oblivion!" or "I shall send you to the great beyond!" or "I shall be the ferryman to your demise!" So, I just thought that was an interesting tangent to go on :cheeky:.

EPILOGUE

Joined by his friend Zero, Mega Man X gazes out over the sea. Sigma has once again been destroyed, but X wonders if the fighting will truly end. Was Dr. Light’s dream of a world in which Reploids and humans lived together in peace merely a dream? The price of peace is often high, X thinks to himself. Who or what must be sacrificed for it to become a reality? And when the time comes, will he be able to do it? The future holds the answers or…

X...He who repelled the menace of the resurrected Sigma, and rescued his best friend, Zero. His mission as a hunter accomplished, X's mind swims within distant memories, awoken beneath the sea of the morning sun. X wonders why he can feel such burning power overflowing from his cold body, such a warm sense of peace. Humans and machines; a world in which two different beings live in perfect peace with one another...At one time, that was the utopia one scientist never stopped wishing for. Will that wish for change, the charge that he entrusted to X, ever become a reality? X...For now, you shall rest easy as you set your eyes towards the oncoming battles, for you know that great power lies hidden within your innocuous frame. And you shall pray that this time, peace shall not be so short-lived…

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 14, 2016

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Get ready for a SHAQ DOWN!
Zero's campaign from X4 was actually my first Let's Play. In the interest of updating things to my newer, higher standards, I think I'll remake it for this thread, if that's acceptable.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

Zero's campaign from X4 was actually my first Let's Play. In the interest of updating things to my newer, higher standards, I think I'll remake it for this thread, if that's acceptable.

By all means go for it, all I ask is that you hold off until we get to X4 as well

Fionordequester posted:

Alright then, here comes the final script comparison! Personally, I would recommend at least reading the Epilogue, as it is both FAR more poetic, and it goes in a totally different direction in tone than the English one. Here we go...

And thanks again Fiono for posting the translations, it's been really cool seeing the localization changes

MithosKuu fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 31, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The whole "Mega Man X" thing really bugged me, even as a kid. His name's just X, you don't need to keep reminding us that this is a Megaman game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Clarste posted:

The whole "Mega Man X" thing really bugged me, even as a kid. His name's just X, you don't need to keep reminding us that this is a Megaman game.

It gets even better in zx where they create extremely tortured acronyms to ensure you're playing as a MEGAman (or ROCKman)

Unfortunately the English dub of ZXA changed the invocation to Megamerge instead of them screaming "Rock on!", which is probably the best Engrish we could hope for.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Kurieg posted:

It gets even better in zx where they create extremely tortured acronyms to ensure you're playing as a MEGAman (or ROCKman)

Unfortunately the English dub of ZXA changed the invocation to Megamerge instead of them screaming "Rock on!", which is probably the best Engrish we could hope for.

I'd say Legends is worse about it where Roll and Barrell Caskett find a boy and name him Rock Volnutt who later discovers he is really Rockman Trigger, gets translated to naming him Mega Man Volnutt who just so happens to really be Mega Man Trigger.

I do really like how ZX and Legends develop Rockman/Mega Man as a title though. In ZX it's used for legendary heroes akin to Gilgamesh or Hercules, then by the time Legends rolls around Mega Man essentially becomes a word for gods.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Dresh posted:

I'd say Legends is worse about it where Roll and Barrell Caskett find a boy and name him Rock Volnutt who later discovers he is really Rockman Trigger, gets translated to naming him Mega Man Volnutt who just so happens to really be Mega Man Trigger.

I do really like how ZX and Legends develop Rockman/Mega Man as a title though. In ZX it's used for legendary heroes akin to Gilgamesh or Hercules, then by the time Legends rolls around Mega Man essentially becomes a word for gods.

In summary, localization fluctuates wildly in quality. Completely unrelated to any of that, today we begin our adventure in CYBERSPACE

Megaman Xtreme:
1. Intro Eagle Hunter ver. | Irregular ver.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Ooo~ Nice Xtreme! I've been interested in these games.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Oh my god that text. It's like reading War and Peace.

Four.

Words.

At.

A Time.

:eng99:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Got it, they're on a trip.

Did this game really need 12 minutes of text?

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

counterfeitsaint posted:

Oh my god that text. It's like reading War and Peace.

Four.

Words.

At.

A Time.

:eng99:

hopeandjoy posted:

Got it, they're on a trip.

Did this game really need 12 minutes of text?

Man I don't know, I just don't think its possible to tell the player "Hackers are infecting the computer with cyber ghosts, this seafoam green dude is the comcast rep" in anything less than 1,500 words, displayed four at a time, the English language just doesn't allow for it :shrug:

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Alright guys, time for more script differences. First off, a brief write-up of the localization job overall, courtesy of "Keekiyasan", who maintains blogs here...

https://hondoori.wordpress.com/scripts-and-localizations/rockman-x-series/

keekiyasan posted:

Obviously, I’m not a professional and am not part of “da biz” as they all call it. However, the localization/translation job done on this game was pretty subpar. It was obviously not worked on very hard. I can understand why; after all, it was just a GBC spin-off game that probably wasn’t going to see a whole lot of love anyway. STILL, the translation job was rather odd. At times, it was fairly legit. Some things changed, tweaked, etc to flow better or to add their own edge to the script without completely changing the source material (like X2). At other times, the translation looks like a half-rear end literal translation. Just awkward. Often, with mediocre literal translations, that’s how it goes. However, a lot of the awkward dialogue the localization team came up with wasn’t even in the Japanese script! Basically, it looks like a poor literal translation, but it actually wasn’t. It was just bad writing. SHEEIT. One such oddity was the translator(s)’s obsession with the word “crush”. See the script comparisons linked above to see what I mean. Everyone keeps saying that drat word even when there wasn’t even a Japanese equivalent involved. WUTEVA. Also, they forgot to change someone’s name into their English name. Silly peeps.

So basically, not all of the awkward dialogue was even in the original script. Some of it was awkward because the game's localizers just...weren't that good apparently. Anyway, let's get started (again, I'll do slight edits to the dialogue to help it run smoother. You can find the more literal translations on this guy's blog entries)...

PROLOGUE

In the year 21XX… The world has become a place where the human race coexists with Reploids. Many years ago a mysterious blue robot was found. Named Megaman X, this robot possessed a high level of intelligence. It also was able to display emotions like humans. Megaman X was a robot that people thought could never be duplicated by modern science. Even though Megaman X is a good natured robot with a kind and warm personality, he also has the power to cause a lot of destruction.

The year 21XX A.D….A world where humans and Reploids co-exist. It has been a long time since the robot of many mysteries was found. Rockman X was a highly powerful robot: He could not be analyzed even by modern science, and had the ability to think and “worry” almost like a human. Concealed within him was immense promise...and immense danger.

Dr. Cain studied and analyzed Megaman X, and then succeeded in creating the “Reploids.” However, some Reploids began to malfunction due to problems with their electronic brain. They are called “Mavericks”. The Reploids who hunt them are called “Maverick Hunters.” In order to help Megaman X became a Maverick Hunter. Later, a red robot was found. This robot named, “ZERO” had high attack power. When he was found, he was out of control like all the other Mavericks. The strongest Reploid, Sigma, helped to bring Zero under control. Sigma took Zero under his watch. After that, Zero never malfunctioned again and was eventually promoted to a Special A level Hunter.

Using X as a reference, Dr. Cain successfully developed “Repliroids”. But, there came to be Repliroids who suffered programming errors in their electronic brains. These Repliroids were called “Irregulars”, and so, other Repliroids formed the “Irregular Hunters” in order to deal with them. X became a member of these Irregular Hunters. Then, a red robot, Zero, was discovered. This robot possessed incredible power, but was found going on a rampage, just like an Irregular would. The strongest repliroid, Sigma, subdued him. Sigma then made Zero into his subordinate, partially so he could monitor him. Afterwards, Zero never went berserk again, and even became a Special A Class hunter.

Soon after, Sigma rose in revolt and tried to destroy everything. And then the Mavericks kept increasing and became more powerful. But thanks to X and ZERO’s work, the peace was restored over and over again. However…

After that…. Sigma invoked multiple rebellions. Irregulars increased in number, and powerful enemies appeared one after another. However, peace was always restored after each and every rebellion, due to the actions of Zero and X. But now...

I will note here that Keekiyasan's literal translation just says that Sigma "evokes a rebellion". However, it then went on to say that X and Zero would restore peace multiple times after that, which doesn't make sense if there was only one rebellion. In addition to that, the Japanese language doesn't actually HAVE plural forms for many of it's nouns, which is why you'll sometimes here Engrish sentences like "I have two dog" from them. So I'm guessing that Keeki may've made a mistake here, but I don't know for certain.

THE INTRO STAGE

X: ……… Where am I now…?

(X continues down highway)

X: This place seems familiar… Why am I here…!?

(Vile appears)

X: VAVA! Why are you… It can’t be. I crushed you!

Vile: …Die! X!!

X: ……Where am I….?

(X continues down the highway)

X: This is….I remember this place! Why am I here….!?

(VAVA appears)

X: You’re VAVA! That’s not possible! I defeated you!

VAVA: ….Die, X!

This is what Keeki means when he talks about the localizer's obsession with the word "crush". The Japanese version only has X saying that he "defeated" Vile, and yet, the English version has him saying that he "crushed" Vile instead. And believe me, this isn't the last time this is going to happen :mmmhmm:.

MIDDY'S INTRODUCTION

X: Zero, you must tell me! Tell me what’s going on!

X: Zero, tell me! What exactly is going on?!

Zero: X, now we see terrible confusion all over the world. Someone broke into the Mother Computer System of the Hunter Base and set its data to sabotage the world order.

Zero: X, right now the whole world is in trouble. Something or someone has hacked into the Hunter Base’s Mother Computer and is manipulating the data. Now they're throwing the whole world into disarray.

X: Who is doing such a thing!? I won’t allow anyone to disturb the peace we have tried hard to maintain.

X: Who could be doing such a thing?! I won’t forgive anyone who disturbs the world’s peace!

Zero: It seems that they are… reproducing the fighting data of the past… X, your data is contained in the past data in the Mother Computer. And the one who brought you back from the data world is…

Zero: It would seem they’re resurrecting past battle data. The place you slipped into was inside the Mother Computer’s past data. And then the one who brought you back out from inside that data was…

Middy: Hi, I’m Middy!

Middy: Hello, I’m Middy!

Zero: Middy is the greatest computer genius in the world. No one can match him. He will work with us to solve this case.

Zero: Middy is a super genius; Nobody in the world can stand up to him when it comes to computers. He’s helping us to sort out this incident.

Middy: It’s nice to meet you, X!

Middy: Nice to meet you, X!

X: Nice to meet you, too! Let’s work together to restore peace.

X: Nice to meet you, too! Let’s restore peace together!

Middy: X, so… Let me explain what we should do. In order to put the past data back, we need to fix a data in the “core” of the Mother Computer. This is the core of the Mother Computer. But the way to the core is “protected.” Unless you clear the protection, you can’t enter the core. The guardians of the protection is the boss data of the past.

Middy: Good! Now, here's your mission. To return the past data to how it was, the data in the Mother Computer’s “core” needs to be fixed. This is the Mother Computer’s core. But the way to the core has “protection”. If you don’t clear this "protection", you can’t enter. And then there's boss data defending THAT protection.

Zero: To break the protection, there is no other way but to go into the computer as a data form and then crush them all.

Zero: The only way to clear the protection is for someone to turn into data, enter the Mother Computer, and defeat them.

X: Zero, I’ll do it!

X: Zero! I’ll go!

Zero: OK. I’ll let you handle this. I’ll stay here and clean up all the Mavericks who are committing crimes in the confusion. Don’t forget that even though they are past data, they are still very strong. X, be careful!

Zero: Alright. We’ll leave it to you. I’ll go and clean up those who are using the confusion to commit evil. Even though they’re past data, there are many powerful foes… be extra careful.

X: All right! Here we go!

X: Okay! I’m moving out!

Middy: Good luck, X! Energy charge! Setup complete. Ready to transform! Start the Installation!

Middy: Do your best, X! Full energy! Setup complete. Preparations for data transfer OK! Beginning installation!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 2, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I imagine capcom's english translation department just getting more and more tired of the Megaman developer's crazy naming process.

Just walk into work one day and see Goddokarumashīn O Inarī sitting on your desk, throw up your hands and walk right the gently caress back out.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Kurieg posted:

I imagine capcom's english translation department just getting more and more tired of the Megaman developer's crazy naming process.

Just walk into work one day and see Goddokarumashīn O Inarī sitting on your desk, throw up your hands and walk right the gently caress back out.

I don't know why, but that thought fills my heart with warmth, much like one of the bosses we take down today, awh yeah!

Megaman Xtreme:
2. Flame Penguin Hunter ver. | Irregular ver.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm glad to serve.

Also the sprites are washed out because the colors for most GB and GBA games were made with the assumption that the system wasn't being backlit, so when you any other screen you see how pale everything actually is. But if they didn't do that everything would be muddy and black on the Gameboy Color.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Kurieg posted:

I'm glad to serve.

Also the sprites are washed out because the colors for most GB and GBA games were made with the assumption that the system wasn't being backlit, so when you any other screen you see how pale everything actually is. But if they didn't do that everything would be muddy and black on the Gameboy Color.

Man, now I'm wondering if I should go back and mess with the Saturation on the Xtreme games, try and make them more vibrant, or if its better to leave them "as intended"

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

DR. LIGHT'S FIRST THREE CAPSULES

CHILL PENGUIN’S STAGE

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule, X. Take this Leg Upgrade. The Upgrade will enhance your mobility on climbing the wall… This Upgrade will also allow you to crush certain blocks. Your field of activities have now been expanded. Go destroy the evil, X!

Dr. Light: Come, enter this capsule. With these Foot Parts I created, your leg strength will go up and the distance you’ll gain from a wall kick will greatly increase….furthermore, you’ll be able to break certain blocks by kicking them. With this your movement capabilities should be improved. Go X! Drive out evil wherever you go!

STORM EAGLE’S STAGE

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule, X. This Head Upgrade will give you the ability of the Head Crush and allow you to crush certain blocks… Don’t hold back! Crush them all!

Dr. Light: Come, enter this capsule. With these Head Parts I created, you’ll be able to crush certain blocks….with a HEAD crush! Don’t hesitate, X! Smash their evil ambitions!

FLAME STAG’S STAGE

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule, X. Take this Body Upgrade. This Upgrade will increase your defensive ability and you’ll receive less damage… Protect peace and our future!

Dr. Light: Come, enter this capsule. With these Body Parts I created, your defensive powers will shoot up and damage will be halved….Protect peace, and protect our future, X!

THE THREE VILLAINS

Techno: I didn’t expect the past data could be destroyed so easily… Huh. We would get into trouble if the computer protections are broken… We need to make a move quickly.

Techno: I can't believe X deleted that past data so easily…Hehehehe. We're in big trouble if he manages to clear all the protection….think it's time we made a move.

Small line change that changes the way Techno comes across. Instead of going "Huh" (as in "minor amusement"), he's supposed to be going "Huhun" (as in "onomatopoeia for amused laughter"). So instead of "minor surprise", it's supposed to be "minor amusement". Probably just a translation error, since the latter is more true to his personality.

Geemel: Kekeke! Take it easy! Let’s relax and see his action from here.

Geemel: Kekeke! It’s fine! Let’s just chill and watch him from here!

Techno: Geemel, you’ll get hurt if you disvalue his power.

Techno: Don’t be stupid, Geemel. If you take his power lightly you’ll only get hurt.

Zain: Don’t worry, I’ll do it… I’ll crush him for sure…

Zain: I will go….I’ll stop him for sure….

Techno: OK. You go then.

Techno: Yeah. We’ll leave it to you.

Geemel: Kekeke! Don’t fail us!

Geemel: Kekeke! Don’t screw up!

THE FIGHT WITH ZAIN

Zain: You must be X… My name is Zain! You have no chance of beating me!

Zain: Zain: You’re X, eh… I would test your might!

(X wins against Zain.)

Zain: I underestimated you… You got lucky… But next time your luck won’t be able to save you…

Zain: Tch… looks like I underestimated you. Most impressive...but our next fight will your last…

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 23, 2016

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
I love that they didn't bother translating Geemel's laughter, so he winds up being knight with a Jewish name and a Korean laugh.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Since you're not publishing videos in 60 fps but merely in 30 fps, have you tried tweaking the recording such that it actually captures the sprite flickering? I've noticed it being an issue before in the more recently recorded videos (such as all the Hunter videos), but it's particularly obvious in those for Xtreme. One recommended choice for fixing this is TASBlend.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

NGDBSS posted:

Since you're not publishing videos in 60 fps but merely in 30 fps, have you tried tweaking the recording such that it actually captures the sprite flickering? I've noticed it being an issue before in the more recently recorded videos (such as all the Hunter videos), but it's particularly obvious in those for Xtreme. One recommended choice for fixing this is TASBlend.

Thanks, I'll play around with it, it would have made my life so much easier if I had known about it from the outset. Right now the plan is to record the Hunter versions of X4-X8 at 720p60fps instead of 1080p30fps, it is a bit late for the Irregular versions as they were all recorded beforehand, thankfully it shouldn't be too big of an issue outside of the Xtreme games.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

For whatever reason, your recording setup retains the intended sprite flickering in the main series Irregular videos, so there's no problem on that front! (I'm guessing those are older and that the Xtreme Irregular videos are pretty new because only the former set contains interlacing.)

Edit: So far as I've gathered inaccurate sprite flickering only might happen when a video is recorded at 60 fps, but is then translated to suit a video streaming service like YouTube. Apparently it might not be so much of a problem once you get to X4?

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 4, 2016

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
The Irregular versions of X1-4 were originally recorded over composite cables at 480i, the interlacing is what made it possible to get most of the transparency, Irregular 5-8, Hunter 1-8, and both versions of Xtreme were captured over HDM.

Taking a brief look at X5, there doesn't appear to be any major flickering issues, so I'm thinking either there is a fundamental difference in how Wii U and PS3 display older games that made X5 come out better, or its due to the Playstation games running at a higher internal resolution than the SNES games, I'm not sure which

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

NGDBSS posted:

For whatever reason, your recording setup retains the intended sprite flickering in the main series Irregular videos, so there's no problem on that front! (I'm guessing those are older and that the Xtreme Irregular videos are pretty new because only the former set contains interlacing.)

Edit: So far as I've gathered inaccurate sprite flickering only might happen when a video is recorded at 60 fps, but is then translated to suit a video streaming service like YouTube. Apparently it might not be so much of a problem once you get to X4?

MithosKuu posted:

The Irregular versions of X1-4 were originally recorded over composite cables at 480i, the interlacing is what made it possible to get most of the transparency, Irregular 5-8, Hunter 1-8, and both versions of Xtreme were captured over HDM.

Taking a brief look at X5, there doesn't appear to be any major flickering issues, so I'm thinking either there is a fundamental difference in how Wii U and PS3 display older games that made X5 come out better, or its due to the Playstation games running at a higher internal resolution than the SNES games, I'm not sure which

You recorded the videos at 30FPS, which is why you have the sprite flickering problems. As previously discussed, the interlacing problem stems from recording at 480i, and interlacing "solves" some of the issues of sprite flickering (although in an inferior way to TASBlend).

Sprite flickering happens because the sprite is alternating visible one frame / invisible the next and then back to visible/invisible/visible/etc. The reason why you get messed up sprite flickering in 30fps video is because it's only displaying half the frames, so rather than going visible/invisible/visible/invisible, it simply displays visible/_skipped_/visible/_skipped_/ or the inverse. If you record video at 30 FPS and then play it back at 30 FPS (or 60 FPS, for that matter), you get the sprite flickering problem. If you record the video at 60 FPS and play it back at 60 FPS, you don't get the sprite flickering problem.

TASBlend was a stopgap solution for when Youtube only supported a maximum of 30FPS, and works by blending adjacent frame pairs on a 60 FPS video before converting it down to 30 FPS. For quality reasons, the TASBlend page recommends not using it on an entire video, and only using TASBlend to encode the portions that need it.

Anyways, the solution is simple: Record at 60fps, post at 60fps, there's no problem. If you can't record at 60fps
The fact that you have so much material recorded in advance makes me doubtful that we'll see this problem fixed any time soon, however.

• Locked thread