Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Whoa there, you may want to prune the spoilers from that last sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

NGDBSS posted:

Whoa there, you may want to prune the spoilers from that last sentence.

Oh, right duh. Corrected.

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
Do you we know if X was going to stay in his underground pod forever until someone found him or was he on some kind of timer? I know he had to wait for 30 years (How does sleeping for 30 years work out his bugs?), but if nobody ever found X he would of slept for all eternity?

Dr Light had to hide him well enough so nobody would find him for 30 years but not too well or nobody would ever find him.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It was 30 years of automated tests, one assumes.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Lord Malfegor posted:

Do you we know if X was going to stay in his underground pod forever until someone found him or was he on some kind of timer? I know he had to wait for 30 years (How does sleeping for 30 years work out his bugs?), but if nobody ever found X he would of slept for all eternity?

Dr Light had to hide him well enough so nobody would find him for 30 years but not too well or nobody would ever find him.

It was basically a 30 year long morality checker, which for all we know was just an mpeg of Dr. Light saying "pacifism" on loop for 30 years. It wasn't a "wake up in 30 years when testing is done" thing, he was basically in sleep mode until someone came along and opened his morality tube, doing so before 30 years had elapsed would risk waking a possibly insane robot (very important, listening to "pacifism" for anything less than exactly 30 years will give you a violent psychopath, driven insane by the endless repetition)

Basically if Cain hadn't found X, X would have slept forever, and Cain wouldn't have made lovely knockoffs without bothering with the 30 year morality tubes. The entire X, Zero, and ZX series are all Dr. Cain's fault.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

MithosKuu posted:

It was basically a 30 year long morality checker, which for all we know was just an mpeg of Dr. Light saying "pacifism" on loop for 30 years.

Now you've reminded me of the horrible suppurating tumor that is X7's plot.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I always thought it was 30 years of "A guy kicks you in the shins, what do you do? If Murder, then reformat and restart Morality Tube sequence. Else "A guy takes your ice cream cone, what do you do?" and so on until moral. Oh yeah, and throw in several years of "Simply having a wonderful Christmas Time" on loop... I say loop as if the song ever actually ends.
And I thought it was supposed to open at the 30 year mark, just the lab getting ruined somehow stopped the release sequence. Maybe no air or electricity on the locking mechanism.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MithosKuu posted:

It was basically a 30 year long morality checker, which for all we know was just an mpeg of Dr. Light saying "pacifism" on loop for 30 years. It wasn't a "wake up in 30 years when testing is done" thing, he was basically in sleep mode until someone came along and opened his morality tube, doing so before 30 years had elapsed would risk waking a possibly insane robot (very important, listening to "pacifism" for anything less than exactly 30 years will give you a violent psychopath, driven insane by the endless repetition)

Basically if Cain hadn't found X, X would have slept forever, and Cain wouldn't have made lovely knockoffs without bothering with the 30 year morality tubes. The entire X, Zero, and ZX series are all Dr. Cain's fault.

He'd have found zero instead and gotten murdered.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Speaking of the ancient past, have a this.

Bonus Videos
Mega X

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

That is such a blast from the past. I used to watch that show religiously.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
All I know about that cartoon is that Cutman is going to constantly fail to make paper dolls out of you.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Contrarily, Pharaoh Man takes poo poo from no one.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Meanwhile, I only think of one thing when I think of Gutsman...

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He'd have found zero instead and gotten murdered.

Considering how attracted to skull shaped structures archeologists are, that's entirely possible. Although considering all signs point to him getting out on his own, maybe the containment tubes do have some kind of egg timer like the cryogenic freezers in Futurama. I doubt he ran around for 30 something years causing mayhem with nobody noticing until Reploid Police were made.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
One other thing I'd like to bring up, I love how Sigma is ALWAYS the hardest fight in the games he appears in, at least from X to X5. His 2nd form proves to be an extremely harrowing battle in what's otherwise a fairly easy game, he's by far the hardest guy to use the Shoryuken on in X2, both of his X3 forms are insanely hard to damage AND hit like freight trains, X4 has him use some truly nasty tricks on you, and then X5 had those fricken purple cubes. Combine that with his appearance, and he has this physical menace about him that Dr. Wily never had. You may know you're going to win in the end, but you also know that Sigma's going to give you one heck of a fight in each and every game.

Also kind of like how consistent his fighting style is from game to game. X5 and beyond kind of messed it up, but before then, he was always very aggressive, and very agile in his humanoid forms. He was always on the attack, and you hardly got any breathing room.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I really love Sigma's character and design. Guy's probably the most memorable villain in the franchise for me.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Nearly done now, the moth and armadillo fall once again.

Xtreme
7. Morph Armadillo Hunter ver. | Irregular ver.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

This has to be the only time Zero did not receive any spotlight.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

hopeandjoy posted:

This has to be the only time Zero did not receive any spotlight.

Indeed. It is not true X where Zero has not found spotlight. It is very wrong for sure.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm pretty sure Inafune said in some old interview that Zero was originally designed to be the main character of the X series, it's just that they were scared of changing too many things all at once and decided to use a more traditional Megaman-like character instead.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Clarste posted:

I'm pretty sure Inafune said in some old interview that Zero was originally designed to be the main character of the X series, it's just that they were scared of changing too many things all at once and decided to use a more traditional Megaman-like character instead.

That's exactly what happened. During the pitch for the first game he quickly showed a Zero picture and said, "Oh yeah, and this is a side character."

Then when the sequel was being developed he was like, "Hey, so that Zero guy was kinda cool right? Let's base the plot around bringing that dude back!"

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Dresh posted:

That's exactly what happened. During the pitch for the first game he quickly showed a Zero picture and said, "Oh yeah, and this is a side character."

Then when the sequel was being developed he was like, "Hey, so that Zero guy was kinda cool right? Let's base the plot around bringing that dude back!"

Rather funny, that. Pretty much everyone who is ever introduced in the X series (up to X5 anyway) is introduced only to die a tragic death, like Iris and Middy did. So it's hilarious to think that even Zero was going to be that kind of character until Inafune decided he liked him too much :cheeky:.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think it was more like a long con.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Dabir posted:

I think it was more like a long con.

Sounds like the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter to me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Hoss Corncave posted:

Sounds like the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter to me.

Nah, Mighty No. 9 is under horrific mismanagement, but there not been any indication that it's a con.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

jivjov posted:

Nah, Mighty No. 9 is under horrific mismanagement, but there not been any indication that it's a con.

Really? What's the story behind that, if I may ask?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Classic Kickstarter problems of overpromising on stretch goals. The most recent delay has been due to them trying to figure out their Netcode and Matchmaking, compounded by the fact that apparently the game engine they're using isn't being actively supported so they're having to make the changes themselves, and I'm pretty sure no one at Inticreates or Comcept has had to deal with synchronous online communication in a videogame before.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Kurieg posted:

Classic Kickstarter problems of overpromising on stretch goals. The most recent delay has been due to them trying to figure out their Netcode and Matchmaking, compounded by the fact that apparently the game engine they're using isn't being actively supported so they're having to make the changes themselves, and I'm pretty sure no one at Inticreates or Comcept has had to deal with synchronous online communication in a videogame before.

They are using Unreal, and if it isn't activity supported then it's likely UE3, maybe it never got network support for current gen consoles added to it?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Maybe, I was just going off of the stated reasons in their KS update announcing the latest delay.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My question is why don't they just release the game now, then patch in the stretch goal multiplayer stuff when it's ready?

That specifically is the mismanagement I was referring to. They keep announcing dates and missing them for a feature that was completely ancillary to the game proper. They would have saved SO much face by releasing the core game and then taking the Shovel Knight approach of patching in all the Kickstarter Stretch content as it was finished.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

jivjov posted:

My question is why don't they just release the game now, then patch in the stretch goal multiplayer stuff when it's ready?

That specifically is the mismanagement I was referring to. They keep announcing dates and missing them for a feature that was completely ancillary to the game proper. They would have saved SO much face by releasing the core game and then taking the Shovel Knight approach of patching in all the Kickstarter Stretch content as it was finished.

As an online feature, I guess having it at launch is ideal to ensure the playerbase is big enough to justify using it, as opposed to launching it later and hoping it reignites interest enough for people to get use out of it. Another hypothesis I've seen floating around is that another company may be handling the feature and keep hitting snags, possibly even affecting other parts of the build, which Comcept/Inticreates then has to salvage before another round of testing. But, yeah at this point shelving the feature for the time being is probably the best option and if it comes to another delay I do hope they just do that.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Meanwhile, in Xtreme, we come to the last real hurrah for story, there is one more episode after this but it is almost entirely poo poo we've already seen, in a game comprised of 95% stuff we've already seen.

Megaman Xtreme:
8. Magna Geemel Hunter ver. | Irregular ver.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MithosKuu posted:

Meanwhile, in Xtreme, we come to the last real hurrah for story, there is one more episode after this but it is almost entirely poo poo we've already seen, in a game comprised of 95% stuff we've already seen.

Megaman Xtreme:

So glad that the end is nigh. You guys are making it...tolerable, but this game is pretty trash.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

MithosKuu posted:

Megaman Xtreme:

Interesting foot note. RTA runners will actually go OUT OF THEIR WAY to make Magna Centipede their THIRD stage in Extreme Mode, and will even make it their FIRST stage in "Hard" Mode. So Zero Final, at least, IS really good, just...not any of the others.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

jivjov posted:

So glad that the end is nigh. You guys are making it...tolerable, but this game is pretty trash.

Considering the only unique stuff is Zain, Geemel, and Music Genera? I'll take tolerable as high praise. X3 and 4 will be more fun, lots of cool stuff going on there, and Xtreme 2 is less repetitive, at the very least it doesn't make you play the fortress stages twice.

Fionordequester posted:

Interesting foot note. RTA runners will actually go OUT OF THEIR WAY to make Magna Centipede their THIRD stage in Extreme Mode, and will even make it their FIRST stage in "Hard" Mode. So Zero Final, at least, IS really good, just...not any of the others.
I am honestly surprised there is a speed running community for this game, interesting

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

MithosKuu posted:

Considering the only unique stuff is Zain, Geemel, and Music Genera? I'll take tolerable as high praise. X3 and 4 will be more fun, lots of cool stuff going on there, and Xtreme 2 is less repetitive, at the very least it doesn't make you play the fortress stages twice.

I am honestly surprised there is a speed running community for this game, interesting

Yep yessir! Really, it's more that the community is dedicated to ALL Mega Man games, and Xtreme just happens to be one of em...but still, here it is!

http://megamanleaderboards.net/index.php?game=54

One thing though. How exactly do you manage to NOT play the fortress stages twice to get Xtreme 2's Extreme Mode? You've got to get like, 4000 Souls to get it in the shop, right? I don't see how you'd manage to reach that benchmark by the time you beat the game twice.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Fionordequester posted:

Yep yessir! Really, it's more that the community is dedicated to ALL Mega Man games, and Xtreme just happens to be one of em...but still, here it is!

http://megamanleaderboards.net/index.php?game=54

One thing though. How exactly do you manage to NOT play the fortress stages twice to get Xtreme 2's Extreme Mode? You've got to get like, 4000 Souls to get it in the shop, right? I don't see how you'd manage to reach that benchmark by the time you beat the game twice.

Err, to clarify, Xtreme mode doesn't make you do the fortress stages twice, you still have to unlock it.

This game also has an Xtreme mode, but it apparently removes all the cutscenes, which is why we aren't running it.

::EDIT::
Holy poo poo the SFX overriding the BGM is driving me nuts, it's like torture without commentary to mask it. Imma start tossing up the soundtracks tonight because god drat

MithosKuu fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 18, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be honest, I'm just waiting for Xtreme to be over and disappointed every update that it isn't.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Clarste posted:

To be honest, I'm just waiting for Xtreme to be over and disappointed every update that it isn't.

Well, for JUST a foretaste of just how much better Xtreme 2 is in every way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfAH_DyEC1M

:D

Seriously, you know you did a good job when your GBC music is actually better than the original SNES music!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Some of the Xt2 remixes were better than the originals, others weren't. The most common thing I've noticed is the music moves into the "chorus" a lot quicker in most of the GBC tracks and sometimes it 'skips' notes, jumping from one note to a much lower or higher one and holding it for twice as long, which after years of hearing the original music, messes with my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Indeed. Either way though, it's kind of amazing that we went from Xtreme 1, where all of it's tracks are just watered down versions of X1, to Xtreme 2, where the two are actually close enough in quality to compare, isn't it?

Oh yeah, and here's the translation stuff I've been neglecting.

SECRET MESSAGE FROM MIDDY

Middy: Congratulations! You have cleared this game. Let me give you a tip as a reward for your efforts. “Hard Mode” is now available! New stages and bosses are waiting for you to challenge! You can start a game with the same equipment when you’ve cleared the game. So you’ll be prepared even when strong enemies attack you! Make sure you remember to save your data now! Good Luck!

Middy: Congratulations on beating the game! You clearly worked hard, so I'm going to let you in on a little secret! You can now play on "Hard Mode”! New stages and bosses are waiting for you! Also, you can start with Cleared Data, so….no matter what strong enemies there are, it’ll all be OK! So be sure to save! And see you soon!

HACKED AGAIN!!

X: Zero, you must tell me! What’s happening!

X: Zero, tell me! What’s going on?!

Zero: The Mother Computer, which was restored, is now not working again.

Zero: The Mother Computer data, which should have been restored to normal, is out of control again.

X: I don’t believe it!

X: No way!

Zero: We found illegal access record in the Mother Computer… Someone must have accessed the data secretly. That person has been reproducing the fighting data of the past. In order to fix the Mother Computer we will need to fight our enemies in their data form…

Zero: We've found evidence of the Mother Computer being illegally accessed….the one manipulating the data should be somewhere. But, that person's reviving past battle data, so if we're going to fix the Mother Computer, the only option is to transform into data once again.

X: Zero, I’ll do it!

X: Zero! I’ll go!

Zero: OK. You handle this… And I’ll look into who is behind this evil plan. Be sure to watch out…

Zero: I’m counting on you, X. I’ll go search for the mastermind behind this incident. Be careful X….

X: All right! Here we go!

THE ZERO CAPSULES!

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule, X. Install the program, ZERO SCRAMBLE: DASH! This program will allow you to call your best partner, Zero… The range of the attacks is limited but it can help you a lot if you use it wisely. Be careful about your energy…

Dr. Light: Come, enter this capsule.

A program to call upon your good partner Zero...I will install Zero Scramble: Dash! It's attack range is limited, but it should be helpful. There are four Zero Scrambles, but they all share the same energy. Furthermore, if you don’t clear a stage the energy won’t be restored. I would advise you to use it carefully...

So already Dr. Light is more specific about how weapon energy works.

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule, X. Install the program, ZERO SCRAMBLE: RISING! This program will allow you to call your best friend and fellow soldier, ZERO… His striking power is enormous, but hard to control! Perform this on enemies in the sky. It also works on bosses!

This is a program to call upon your best friend, your brother-in-arms Zero...I will install Zero Scramble: Rising! It’s hard to make it hit the enemy, but its attack power is tremendous! It’d be wise to use it on enemies above. It’s also effective against bosses!

Buuuuuut then ruins it by saying that it's effective on bosses, and opposed to just saying it "works" on bosses. So ultimately, both versions are flawed.

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule, X. Install the program, ZERO SCRAMBLE: EARTH GAIZER! This program will allow you to call your best friend, Zero... You can damage enemies around you! This requires a lot of energy... Use this only in a desperate situation.

A program to call upon the one who knows you best, Zero...I will install Zero Scramble: Earth Geyser! It can damage the enemies around you! It's energy consumption is intense though, so use it just when you’re in a pinch!

Yeah, I think "Earth Gaizer" is a romanization fail on the localization team's part. If you read it's Katakana in Japanese, it's pronounced "EARTH-GUY-ZER"...

Well ok, TECHNICALLY it's pronounced "AWWWSS-GUY-ZAH", but that's only due to the limitations of Ja which is how "GEYSER" is pronounced. Combine that with the fact that the animation is Zero pounding the ground to create an UPWARD wave of energy, and I think it's pretty clear what it was supposed to be.

Actually, speaking of romanization fails, let's talk about Katakana words for a moment. In addition to native Japanese words (which are written in Hiragana), the Japanese also have words that they stole from other languages. For THESE words, they try their darndest to pronounce them exactly the way they were pronounced in their original language, to mixed results. So for example, "video game" is pronounced "BEE-DEE-OH-GAM" in their culture. And they reason they do that is because it sounds really cool...TO THEM, it sounds really cool, because they look at words like that and go "oooh, that's a FOREIGN word! How FANCY!

This, by the way, is why anime dubbers will often leave a lot of attack names and the like undubbed when localizing properties from Japan. "Boomer Kuwanger", for example, sounds a heck of a lot better than "Boomer Beetle". And the reason for that is we look at "Kuwanger", and go "OOOOOH, fancy!"

So, what we have here is a case where the localization team just translated "Scramble" literally, without any regard for how different it sounds to us than it does in Japan.

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule, X. Install the program, ZERO SCRAMBLE: FINAL! This will allow you to call a Special A level Hunter, Zero… This is the most powerful weapon and will destroy almost any enemy. Keep in mind that this requires a huge amount of energy… Use this on strong enemies that may seem impossible to defeat!

A program to call upon Zero, the Special A Class Hunter...I will install Zero Scramble: Final! This is a secret technique that kills a single enemy with certainty...however, it will use an enormous amount of energy, so it’s best to use it against an enemy that you can’t seem to beat no matter what...

MEANWHILE, AT THE FORTRESS OF EVIL...

Geemel: Kekeke! Disgusting X! How could you beat me last time! I’ll pay you back for that! I’m going to mess up the data in the Mother Computer! I hope have fun fixing my mess, X!

]Geemel: Kekeke! Kisama X! Oh how you made us SUFFER last time! I'm gonna return the favor! I'll screw up the Mother Computer! That's what you get! Stupid X!

Keekiyasan has Geemel saying "B****** X!", but I figured it'd be funnier if I had him throwing in another foreign word instead. Besides, all Geemel did in the original language was attach a negative suffix to the end of X's name, so I thought invoking the B-word was kind of xtreme anyway.

X VS. GEEMEL, ROUND 1

Geemel: Kekeke! I’ve been waiting for you X! I’m going to take the time to stop you here and finish you off once and for all.

(X win against Geemel.)

Geemel: Kyee! This can’t be! Don’t think you’ve beat me just because you won this round!

Geemel: Kekeke! So you’ve come, stupid X! Now mi will personally get in yer way!

(X wins against Geemel)

Geemel: Kiii! That was luck, obviously! Don’t think you beaten me with that!

X VS. GEEMEL, ROUND 2

Geemel: I’ve been waiting for you X! Kekeke. You seem to be having problems! I’ll give you another problem to deal with!

(X defeats Geemel.)

Geemel: Kyee! How frustrating!

[spoiler]Geemel: You’ve made it, X, kekeke! From the looks of it you seem to be in quite the pickle, eh! Mi will stop your justice or whatever!

(X defeats Geemel)

Geemel: Kiii! I’m so pissed!

"Mi will stop your justice or whatever!" My personal favorite line in all the Japanese version :mmmhmm:

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 19, 2016

• Locked thread