Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
You've got some extraneous spoiler tags in there messing up the formatting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Kurieg posted:

You've got some extraneous spoiler tags in there messing up the formatting.

Whoops! Thank you so much Kurieg! Already fixed those :) !

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Clarste posted:

To be honest, I'm just waiting for Xtreme to be over and disappointed every update that it isn't.

Good news! Today's the last Xtreme episode!

Megaman Xtreme:
9. cigma.jar Hunter ver. | Irregular ver.

No but seriously, this game just gives up entirely after the last Maverick, outside of one boss fight (not even the final one!) and possibly some text at the end, there is nothing new here at all. Thankfully Xtreme 2 fixes a lot of those problems, including the SFX overwriting the BGM, and is mercifully shorter, our run of Xtreme 2 is only 7 episodes long

Monday we start up X3

MithosKuu fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 20, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Well, that's that. The final sections of dialogue. Hopefully I've demonstrated just what a blessing a good localization can be...

X VS. SIGMA: ROUND 3

???: Fu fu fu… You made it.

???: Hehehe...so you’ve finally made it.

X: Sigma! You’ve been behind all of this!

X: Sigma! You’re the one behind everything again?

Sigma: Didn’t you think it was strange that you could defeat me with such easy attacks? You’re no wiser than before, X! Now you will pay for your ignorance!

Sigma: Did you think you had defeated me with that last effort? You’re as naďve as ever, X; And for that, you will now DIE!

(X defeats Sigma.)

Sigma: Hahaha… No matter what you do, it’ll be in vain! Hahaha…

Sigma: Hahaha...no matter what you do, it will be in vain! Hahahaha….

CONVERSATION WITH ZERO

Zero: X, it was Sigma again who was behind everything. We’re going to destroy Sigma’s hiding place completely. To scatter their power, we’ll split up from now!

Zero: X, it was Sigma! He was the one pulling the strings again, just as we suspected...we're going to annihilate Sigma’s hideout now. To divide the enemy’s battle power we will split up and mobilize!

X: OK, let’s go!

X: Alright, let’s go!

X VS. SIGMA: ROUND 4

Sigma: You’re here again! We had fun last time… But playtime is over! Hahaha! Get ready to be destroyed!

Sigma: So, you came once again. And once again, I had plenty of fun with your efforts. However, it all ends here! Hahahahaha, get ready, X!

X: It’ll be the final battle! I’ll finish you at any cost!

X: There's no WAY I'll lose Sigma! I'll destroy you once and for all!

(Sigma transforms but it defeated by X.)

Sigma: Why… Why do you win all the time… Where does your power come from? GuaaaAAA!!

Sigma: Why….why do you always win….where could the source of that power possibly be….GUWAAAAAAAAA!!

THE EPILOGUE

Zero: We cleaned out the enemies. We can escape from here!

Zero: The enemies here have been cleaned up. Now let's get out of here.

X: All right! Let’s go!

X: All right! Let’s go!

Narrator: Thanks to X and Zero’s work, Sigma’s ambition to take over the computer world was stopped. But evil is very tough to completely stop. When evil emerges again… they’ll be there to fight… For now, we can only hope that the world will give X and Zero some peace…

Narrator: Sigma's plans to rule the computer world have finally been eradicated, thanks to the efforts of X and Zero. However, the forces of evil still live on. When the time comes, our heroes will once again fight them, and flush them out. Until then, let’s just pray that this world’s peace will be the balm that X and his friends need to rest easy….

A WILD TECHNO APPEARS!

A Challenge from Techno!

Techno: Humph. You have done very well … I didn’t expect that you would defeat the Hard Mode… But do you have what it takes to complete the “Extreme Mode” which I programmed for you! This is an awesome mode containing 8 stages to clear. Keep in mind that you can’t use the save data that you’ve cleared. There are no story sequences, as it is specialized just for battle! So, why don’t you save your data here and go for it? If you have the guts… Hope to see you again… Heh heh heh…

Techno: Hmhmhmm...you’re pretty good. Clearly I underestimated you, if you were able to beat Hard Mode. In that case, how about playing on “Extreme”, the mode that I programmed? It’s a devilish mode with all the stages, all the powerful foes...And, get this, you can’t use your Clear Data. So how about you save your data now? Kukuku...I hope I can meet you again, someday...hehehe....

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 23, 2016

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
I'm glad Xtreme is over, but your banter and giggling ensured watching the videos were absolutely not a chore.

Onwards to X3!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Speaking of X3, do you guys still want me to do the translation write ups? This is about the point where the localizations radically improved in quality, so there's not going to be many significant differences like in X2 and Xtreme. Do you guys want me to continue anyway?

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

placid saviour posted:

I'm glad Xtreme is over, but your banter and giggling ensured watching the videos were absolutely not a chore.

Onwards to X3!

:love:

Fionordequester posted:

Speaking of X3, do you guys still want me to do the translation write ups? This is about the point where the localizations radically improved in quality, so there's not going to be many significant differences like in X2 and Xtreme. Do you guys want me to continue anyway?

Personally I rather enjoy seeing the translations, if you just want to point out the major differences when they come up that's cool, parts of 5 and most of 6 especially

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

X3 is my favorite of the SNES X games. The buster is at least visually impressive, if not very effective due to the travel delay.

Fionordequester posted:

Well.. with the possible exception of one boss's name.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Kurieg posted:

X3 is my favorite of the SNES X games. The buster is at least visually impressive, if not very effective due to the travel delay.

Well.. with the possible exception of one boss's name.

If you're talking about Godkarmachine O Inary...Honestly, just how the heck ARE you supposed to localize a name like that? "Inary" is based on the Fox King, who is an important figure in Shinto religion, so that's something. Other than that though, the designers basically just threw a bunch of "OOOOOH FANCY!!" English words together and called it a day :cheeky:.

And that's not even that uncommon either. For example, there's a game called "Elnard" that has this guy (the one with two swords)...

Do you want to know what this guy's name is? DO YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT THIS GUY'S NAME IS?!?

"Soul Hard"

No, that is literally his name. "Soul Hard". At this point, you really have no choice but to either translate it literally (while maybe trying to find some fancier words, like "Fiendish Spirit" or something), or just replace the name completely, maybe find something else that sounds cooler or whatever (like, maybe "Eclipso"? I think that has a nice ring to it).

Or, if you wanted to translate it literally, but still not make it sound dumb, you could just borrow from other languages. "Kataikijin", for example, is a combination of two Japanese words that means "Hard" and "Spirit" respectively, with jin being a suffix that basically means "this is the kind of person that this guy is".

So for example, if someone is called a "Nihonjin", that means he is a "Japanese person".

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 21, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Oh I know full well it's basically just "God Karma(e.g. reincarnation) Machine of Great Inari" mashed together into two words without any respect for the English language. I was more poking fun at the whole "it's really the best translated game...except for.. that."

Also they're called Bit and Byte, so there's all sorts of names you could've called their combined form in English carrying on that naming scheme.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Oh I know full well it's basically just "God Karma(e.g. reincarnation) Machine of Great Inari" mashed together into two words without any respect for the English language. I was more poking fun at the whole "it's really the best translated game...except for.. that."

Also they're called Bit and Byte, so there's all sorts of names you could've called their combined form in English carrying on that naming scheme.

Oh really? I don't have as much knowledge in computers as I do in Japanese. What kind of names are you thinking?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Fionordequester posted:

Oh really? I don't have as much knowledge in computers as I do in Japanese. What kind of names are you thinking?

You'd probably have to massage the words a bit to make them work but "Octet" springs to mind, this is also before Reboot was a glimmer in anybody's eye so "Megabyte" is pretty damned obvious.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Since it's partway between Bit abd Byte, call it Nibble.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Since it's partway between Bit abd Byte, call it Nibble.

Or the average between them: Hex.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Kurieg posted:

You'd probably have to massage the words a bit to make them work but "Octet" springs to mind, this is also before Reboot was a glimmer in anybody's eye so "Megabyte" is pretty damned obvious.

Huh...Megabyte huh? That's actually pretty clever :). I wonder if "Terrabyte Karma Machine: ΑΩ" might be a good name? "ΑΩ" means "Alpha and Omega" for those curious, with "Alpha and Omega" being one of the names that God goes by.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 22, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fionordequester posted:

Huh...Megabyte huh? That's actually pretty clever :). I wonder if "Terrabyte Karma Machine: ΑΩ" might be a good name? "ΑΩ" means "Alpha and Omega" for those curious, with "Alpha and Omega" being one of the names that God goes by.

It's not a terrible localization, but it's still kind of long. Of course, that's more on the original writers.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's not a terrible localization, but it's still kind of long. Of course, that's more on the original writers.

Really, the thing I have against shortening it is that I actually find it kind of charming in a way. The name is SO ridiculously over-the-top that it actually wraps around back to being awesome. It's good in a "it's-so-bad-it's-good" kind of way, and I'd hate to change that without replacing it with something equally insane...Hmm...how about...

"Deus Machina ΑΩ: Judgement"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I like Deus Machina, I'd say drop the Judgement.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Dabir posted:

I like Deus Machina, I'd say drop the Judgement.

Words to live by.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Alright, "Deus Machina ΑΩ" it is then. And actually, I think I came up with a fun idea. So far, the translations I've been posting were my own localized takes on translations done by this guy...

https://hondoori.wordpress.com/scripts-and-localizations/rockman-x-series/

And the point of that was basically to show the differences between English X2 and Xtreme 1, all while showing what a (hopefully) competent localization of those games would have looked like. X2's localization was much too liberal, and Xtreme was clearly not liberal enough (among other things), so that was interesting to me.

So, now that X3 actually does have a decent localization already, what do you think of just posting Keekiyasan's (almost) completely literal translations? See how X3 (mostly) succeeded at making a good English script?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Deus Machina, huh? Yeah that sounds like a solid name to go wi-

poo poo, right.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I always figured the entire point of the name was the karma + machine = karmachine pun. Like, one of the writers came up with that and was so proud of it ("a pun in English! Teehee") that they just stuck the rest around it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Right, but it doesn't make any sense being there when you take out the Buddhist references from Bit and Byte's names.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Fionordequester posted:

So, now that X3 actually does have a decent localization already, what do you think of just posting Keekiyasan's (almost) completely literal translations? See how X3 (mostly) succeeded at making a good English script?

Literal translations sound fun to me.

Dabir posted:

Right, but it doesn't make any sense being there when you take out the Buddhist references from Bit and Byte's names.

Is there a Buddhist reference in Bit and Byte's names? I know visually they are pretty Buddhist, but I'm not very familiar with the religion, figured it was just a computer joke.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

In Japanese they're Vajurila FF and Mandarela BB.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Dabir posted:

In Japanese they're Vajurila FF and Mandarela BB.

So they tossed out the meat of the names and really focused in on the hex strings at the end, and then failed to update Godkarmachine to match? Fantastic.

Know what else is fantastic? Not playing Xtreme anymore! Today we start up X3, the last hurrah for the SNES titles.

Megaman X3:
1. Intro Buffalo Hunter ver. | Irregular ver.

In addition to the regular poo poo, ACES CURE PLANES has graciously offered to play through a ROM hack version of X3 which makes Zero a useful character, it's pretty cool!

Megaman X3 Zero:
1. Intro Buffalo

If you enjoy his commentary, go check out his LP of the PS2 Armored Core games right over here, it's also pretty great!

I am also putting together a compilation of the X2 Xtimes, having premiere crash when I try to copy poo poo is making it a fun challenge.

MithosKuu fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 23, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Alright guys, here's some translation stuff for ya.

PROLOGUE

Narrator: In the year 21XX, all the Mavericks have been neutralized thanks to the efforts of a Reploid scientist named “Dr. Doppler”. Using his Neuro Computer, he has been able to suppress any abnormal behavior in the Reploids and prevent them from going berserk. Many of the most advanced Reploids have gathered near their new mentor and founded “Doppler Town”, a perfect Utopian community. With Dr. Doppler guiding them, the world seemed to enter a new golden age… After a few months…The Mavericks who were supposed to have been neutralized by the Neuro Computer suddenly appeared and began to riot… At Maverick Hunter Headquarters, all the intelligence indicated that Dr. Doppler was the mastermind behind the invasion. Soon, the call went out to X and Zero destroy the invading Mavericks and bring Dr. Doppler to justice.

The Year 21XX
Irregulars have been completely wiped out due to a Reploid scientist named Dr. Doppler. And then exceptional Reploids gathered in the peaceful city that Dr. Doppler built, “Doppler Town”. A number of months later…Suddenly, Irregulars which should have been pacified started a revolt all at once. Confirming that Dr. Doppler was the mastermind, Irregular Hunter HQ ordered X and Zero to capture Dr. Doppler and destroy the Doppler army.

Maverick Hunter HQ: Maverick Hunters X and Zero, dispatch!

Maverick Hunter HQ: Irregular Hunters X and Zero, mobilize!

Narrator: A few hours later, contact was made by the Headquarters of Maverick Hunter.

Narrator: Hours later, an emergency communication came from Irregular Hunter HQ.

Maverick Hunter HQ: This is the Headquarters of Maverick Hunter. We are under attack from the Doppler force. All units return to base immediately and return fire.

Maverick Hunter HQ: This is Irregular Hunter HQ! We’re currently under attack from the Doppler Army and returning fire! Irregular Hunters in the area of HQ, return to base and help return fire immediately!

So already, we can see a spike in writing quality from the localizers, as they're much clearer about what exactly is happening...rather a bummer about "Headquarters of Maverick Hunter" though. I suppose they still hadn't quite perfected their "proof-reading process" yet.

OPENING STAGE

Zero: X, I’ll clear out the enemies out here. You go ahead and deal with the ones inside.

Zero: X, I’ll clean up the enemies from the perimeter. I leave the enemies inside to you.

(X meets Mac)

X: Mac, where have you been?

X: Mac, it’s you; you’ve been missing.

(Mac fires at X, making him unable to move)

Mac: You’re far too trusting, X. I’m now a member of Doppler’s Army! You will make a fine addition to our forces once you have been shown the true destiny of the Reploid race!

Mac: Fufufu. You’re naive, X. I’m no longer a Irregular Hunter, I’m a member of the Doppler Army. Sorry, but I’m taking you captive.

Yeah, that's right. Mac somehow manages to have even LESS of a character in the Japanese version than he did in the English version :cheeky:.

(Mac takes X away. Zero comes in, defeats Mac, then saves X)

Zero: Are you okay, X?

Zero: Are you alright, X?

X: Thanks Zero. I’m okay.

X: Th, thanks Zero. I’m alright.

Zero: I’ll check around headquarters again. Be on your guard, X.

Zero: I’m going to go around the perimeter again. X, don’t be careless.

(Zero teleports away and X fights Maoh the Giant)

Zero: Looks like we’ve swept most of the enemies out of here. I’ll go back and check on headquarters. Call me if you need me. See you later, X.

Zero: Looks like the enemies have been mopped up. I’m going to be working on the HQ repair operations for a while, but call me when I’m needed. Well, good luck, X.

Zero...working on repair operations? Is that really something he'd be expected to do? Huh, didn't know that.

BLIZZARD BUFFALO'S STAGE

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule, X. Take this Leg upgrade. The upgrade will enhance your mobility in the air. You will be able to dash left, right or even straight up into the air.

Dr. Light: X, enter this capsule. Here you can power up your mid-air movement ability. I grant you the Foot Parts. You’ll become able to air dash up, left and right in mid-air.

Kind of like how the English version puts emphasis on "even straight up into the air". Evidently someone on the team knew how significant that was, which is good to see in a localization.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 23, 2016

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Ewww, the filtering on the Playable Zero half of the LP is atrocious.

Also, I have to say this game has the worst soundtrack of the SNES games; some of the level tracks are akin to noise. Which is a shame, because most of the rest of X3 is pretty sweet.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Aerdan posted:

Ewww, the filtering on the Playable Zero half of the LP is atrocious.

Can you be a little more specific? I only did a quick cleanup on Rik and I's audio before tossing it to Aces, if that's what's busted I can do a full cleanup on the rest of the audio.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I think he's talking about video, which is strange since it's a direct emu capture.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I think he's talking about video, which is strange since it's a direct emu capture.

He's talking about the bilinear filter on the emulator which serves to make it look like it was played on an actual CRT. Some people are super vocal about disliking it; I think it looks fine and you should continue to record however you would normally play it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Olesh posted:

He's talking about the bilinear filter on the emulator which serves to make it look like it was played on an actual CRT. Some people are super vocal about disliking it; I think it looks fine and you should continue to record however you would normally play it.

Ah, okay. idk anything about that, I just grabbed whatever let me play it, because patching SNES carts is noticeably harder.

(I would totally patch this onto my copy of X3 if I could.)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, the subforum sometimes gets weird and anal about pixel presentation. Like they demand 1080p crystal clarity pixel perfection on systems older than the term "HD" or for like on handhelds where the screen was like the size of your phone today. Maybe because I'm old enough to have been playing 8 and 16 bit games on like, 13-inch CRTs in my bedroom or whatever, but I think it's fine. Everything is legible enough even pulled out to full screen that it's all perfectly legible, just go with it.

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Get ready for a SHAQ DOWN!

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, the subforum sometimes gets weird and anal about pixel presentation. Like they demand 1080p crystal clarity pixel perfection on systems older than the term "HD" or for like on handhelds where the screen was like the size of your phone today. Maybe because I'm old enough to have been playing 8 and 16 bit games on like, 13-inch CRTs in my bedroom or whatever, but I think it's fine. Everything is legible enough even pulled out to full screen that it's all perfectly legible, just go with it.

I think it's not authentic enough. I demand he record the rest of the series on a CRT using VHS and sharing in Usenet so we get that truly authentic 1996 flavor.

Also what are you guys doing you're mispronouncing Bilzzard Buffalo's name

I wonder if anyone has ever seen his stage not frozen over, you have to beat Volt Catfish first, it's like how literally nobody has ever seen Flame Mammoth's stage unfrozen except for me because of Capcom's lazy iOS port gently caress

Gamesfreak13563 fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 23, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

I think it's not authentic enough. I demand he record the rest of the series on a CRT using VHS and sharing in Usenet so we get that truly authentic 1996 flavor.

Oh hey, hello nightmares I haven't had for almost two decades now, how I haven't missed you.

Seriously, talking about old school recording like that takes me back, back to a place I don't want to go. :negative:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh hey, hello nightmares I haven't had for almost two decades now, how I haven't missed you.

Seriously, talking about old school recording like that takes me back, back to a place I don't want to go. :negative:

Composed in WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER! (Spooky ghost noises)

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I think it looks great, way better than the aggressive interpolation engines like 2xSaI.

I didn't notice the first time I played X3, but the enemy layouts are really sparse. Like, the levels just feel sorta empty and underpopulated.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Oh, for those who watch the Irregular version, how is the audio balance/quality on this one? I'm thinking I might rerender them with lowered audio levels

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

MithosKuu posted:

Oh, for those who watch the Irregular version, how is the audio balance/quality on this one? I'm thinking I might rerender them with lowered audio levels

Seems fine to me! It's the commentary that needed work :\ .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

MithosKuu posted:

Can you be a little more specific? I only did a quick cleanup on Rik and I's audio before tossing it to Aces, if that's what's busted I can do a full cleanup on the rest of the audio.

The bilinear filter looks like poo poo. HQ?x or no filter at all would be preferable, really. (To be clear, I'm not opposed to filters...it's just that this particular one is bad.)

• Locked thread