Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I heard about this movement from various articles, but they don't really pinpoint what exactly this party is about other than it is distrustful of current institutions. Is it left wing or right wing? Is the parties end goal to turn Italy into a direct democracy? What's the deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
It's for Beppe Grillo to showboat and pretend he's relevant.

eldemiror
Feb 11, 2013
populists, lots of inaccuracies regarding science economics and everything that requires at least a tiny bit of actual knowledge that can't be easily gpogled.
They are also full of themselves and with a messiah complex ("They hate us because we are the only honest ones, everyone is corrupt but us"), oh and they have no problem with flirting with far-right policies (often having candidates with a far-right background, also) and being anti-immigration.
After i'm done with my relatives for the holiday season i'm gonna write a longer post,

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So you guys got yourselves your own LaRouche Movement?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Totally useless, will never sit in government, doesn't want to etc etc. Italy got some issues, and as far as i know, voter fatigue

eldemiror
Feb 11, 2013
M5S is probably closer to the ideology of the Nouvelle Droite than anything, but yeah it's a LaRouche Movement who got a third of the popular vote last time.
We do have party fatigue more than voter fatigue, but let's just say that there is a huge discrepancy between the political class and the voters, which is something we weren't used to untill the mid 90s.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

eldemiror posted:

M5S is probably closer to the ideology of the Nouvelle Droite than anything, but yeah it's a LaRouche Movement who got a third of the popular vote last time.
We do have party fatigue more than voter fatigue, but let's just say that there is a huge discrepancy between the political class and the voters, which is something we weren't used to untill the mid 90s.

So why don't voters in Italy organize grassroots efforts to win slots in your parties' primaries for candidates more aligned with their interests?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah and they are giving PD a run for its money, they are polling in the high 20s. I guess the question is how likely is a M5S/LN coalition? At this point they very well may be on the verge of having enough seats.

eldemiror
Feb 11, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

So why don't voters in Italy organize grassroots efforts to win slots in your parties' primaries for candidates more aligned with their interests?

M5S started as a grassroots movement to get the PD's primary vote to Beppe Grillo, but PD refused to accept him as an adequate candidate because he wasn't a member of the party beforehand (I think).
I don't think a M5S/LN would be considered viable by either, as M5S has a huge pool of leftist voters that are fed up with PD and the likes, while LN is directly competing with them to regain the Post-Berlusconian/far-right electorate; They could push the same laws regarding immigration, sure, but other than that it's not feasible.
After a long period of pure hatred now the M5S is starting to collaborate more with the party governments (PD, NCD) regarding some policies, something their electorate appreaciated very much.
The idea of "not having a long standing relationship, but deciding alliances issues by issues" is actually a staplehold of the M5S mentality

I don't have the stats now, but for example in my hometown (which was the most far right city in Italy for a long time, or at least top three) the majority of the electorate has previous experiences voting far right and fascists political parties, but I'm quite sure that in the traditionally "red regions" (the ones that were previously controlled by the italian communist party) the electorate of the M5S is drastically different, and more leaning with disaffected leftists and berlusconians.

eldemiror fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 27, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I once lived with an Italian from near the Austrian border.

We made fun of Berlesconi all the time.

What kinda region was he from? For some reason, I seem to associate mountain Germans with ultra-conservatives, no matter the nation in which they live nor the language they speak.

eldemiror
Feb 11, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

I once lived with an Italian from near the Austrian border.

We made fun of Berlesconi all the time.

What kinda region was he from? For some reason, I seem to associate mountain Germans with ultra-conservatives, no matter the nation in which they live nor the language they speak.

was his native language italian or german? should be Trentino-Alto adige or veneto anyway

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

eldemiror posted:

was his native language italian or german? should be Trentino-Alto adige or veneto anyway

It was Italian, and he spoke pretty decent German. I think he was from the Trentino area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eldemiror
Feb 11, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

It was Italian, and he spoke pretty decent German. I think he was from the Trentino area?

The Trentino area is notorious for its centrist/rightwing electorate, i would say Berlusconi was pretty succesful there.
But the german-speaking population has its own parties such as SVP (center-left) and Die Freiheitlichen (rightwing).
But Berlusconi was never as succesful with the youngsters as he was with middleaged and older people, even in the deep south (His stronghold until the last elections, when M5S had a huge breakout), so he's pretty commonly mocked here

• Locked thread