Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"
Let's Play Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark

What's this game all about?

Hordes of the Underdark was the final expansion created by Bioware for their CRPG Neverwinter Nights, which was released first for Windows in 2002, and OSX and Linux in 2003. Hordes was itself released in 2003 for Windows and Linux, and in 2004 for OSX. Hordes was the the sequel to the first NWN expansion: Shadows of Undrentide, and is generally considered to be the best of the two NWN expansions. For context, 2003 was at the height of the dominance of the PS2, and PC RPG gaming was in a crisis. Compared to console RPGs like 2001's Final Fantasy X, NWN was graphically unimpressive, but unlike console RPGs NWN featured ground-breaking content creation tools and multiplayer functionality, seeking to emulate the tabletop D&D experience in a way that had never been done before. Players could create their own adventures and host them on their own servers, or download other people's creations from sites like the Neverwinter Vault (Still operational!). Furthermore the game offered some Dungeon Master functionality that allowed a host to dynamically create content in a running game, again trying to emulate the dynamic flow and creativity of tabletop role playing. In the end, the NWN Aurora Engine tools seemed to mostly be used to create one-off downloadable adventures, and MMO-like persistent multiplayer servers that continued to exist for a while even after the overwhelming success of World of Warcraft.

Beside the world of fan creation, the Bioware created content for the game seemed somewhat out of place, with the work that went into creating the Aurora toolset derailing the quality of the original NWN campaign (Much as it would with Obsidian's NWN2) and the expansions to some extent serving as a vehicle for delvering new assets and engine features to the fan content creation community. Bioware bridged this gap by releasing some "Premium Modules" that were remasters or new content by top community creators, but these came after Hordes was released (With the last module released in 2006). Nevertheless Hordes was well received by both the press and by fans, and could be said to represent the last "old-school" Bioware game before the release of Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

Like all official NWN content, Hordes is based on D&D 3rd Edition rules and the Forgotten Realms setting. Unlike the earlier Infinity Engine games, NWN only allowed the player to control one PC and a "henchman" assistant. Because of the multiplayer features of the Aurora Engine, the party-type gameplay found in the Infinity Engine games could be replicated in multiplayer games, but many fans of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale felt that the single player content like Hordes suffered because of its single character focus. Nevertheless, with its pausable real-time combat and quality content, Hordes did offer something to fans of CRPGs at a time well before the indie-game resurgence that came later. It offers "epic" level content and a story that spans two of the most famous locations in the Forgotten Realms setting: Waterdeep and the Underdark, and should have plenty of fun monsters to fight.

I have never played Hordes of the Underdark so this will be a blind playthrough!

I played through the original NWN campaign and Shadows years ago, but this is my first time playing this expansion. With a game length of around 20 hours, I figured it would be a good game to tackle while I wait for the Pillars of Eternity 3.0 patch to be released so I can start a LP of that game. With that in mind advice is welcome, but please be polite. I have played my fair share of D&D games but I am not an absolute master of min-maxing the system and I will make mistakes. I will accept character suggestions but please try to make them viable so I don't get stuck and can't progress in the game!

Why aren't you playing the vanilla campaign or Shadows first?

The vanilla campaign is bad and Shadows isn't really interesting enough for me to want to do a second playthrough.

Episodes:

Chapter 1

Introduction
Episode 01
Episode 02
Episode 03
Episode 04
Episode 05
Episode 06
Episode 07
Episode 08
Episode 09
Episode 10
Episode 11
Episode 12
Episode 13
Episode 14
Episode 15
Episode 16

Chapter 2

Episode 17
Episode 18
Episode 19
Episode 20
Episode 21
Episode 22
Episode 23
Episode 24
Episode 25
Episode 26
Episode 27
Episode 28
Episode 29
Episode 30
Episode 31
Episode 32
Episode 33
Episode 34
Episode 35
Episode 36
Episode 37

Chapter 3

Episode 38
Episode 39
Episode 40
Episode 41
Episode 42
Episode 43
Episode 44
Episode 45
Episode 46
Episode 47
Episode 48
Episode 49 - FINAL

Bonus Conclusion Episode

MaterialConceptual fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
In comparison to FFX, NWN also featured a forgettable cast rather than one you wished to forget

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

JcDent posted:

In comparison to FFX, NWN also featured a forgettable cast rather than one you wished to forget

I cannot remember a single character from NWN's vanilla campaign. NWN2 definitely did better on that count, even if it wasn't a very good game.

Calamitous_Justice
Feb 21, 2011

MaterialConceptual posted:

I cannot remember a single character from NWN's vanilla campaign. NWN2 definitely did better on that count, even if it wasn't a very good game.

There are two worth remembering and ironically they both get a better showing in this game.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Calamitous_Justice posted:

There are two worth remembering and ironically they both get a better showing in this game.

Cool, I will check out a plot summary of NWN Vanilla to be sure I don't miss them completely.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, this is the good one. I don't think there are really any character builds that'd get you stuck, you can compensate with companions pretty well.
Anyway, I'd suggest a Dwarven Defender because the little shits are unkillable and it's fun to watch hundreds of drow just stop. If you feel you can't do without spellcasting, go for Pale Master - your wizard or bard suddenly becomes a whole lot tankier and instakills people with punching.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Oh hey, this is the good one. I don't think there are really any character builds that'd get you stuck, you can compensate with companions pretty well.
Anyway, I'd suggest a Dwarven Defender because the little shits are unkillable and it's fun to watch hundreds of drow just stop. If you feel you can't do without spellcasting, go for Pale Master - your wizard or bard suddenly becomes a whole lot tankier and instakills people with punching.

Is a Dwarven Defender/Cleric dual class workable? I used a Dwarven cleric for Mask of the Betrayer and it worked pretty well for me.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not sure, I don't remember the level cap/requirements offhand. There's gotta be a wiki or something for it though. HotU starts off at the end of Shadows of Undrentide so your character will be created with some levels.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Ok, here's how I most recently beat Hordes of the Underdark:

Play as a Cleric. You're allowed the following equipment:

0 armor nonmagical armor (normal robes if you can get it, the least magical robes if you can't).
A light shield.
A normal dagger.

You can't use anything else. Also, you have a strength of 10.

Beat the game as a melee build. There is exactly 1 enemy you'll have to use offensive spells to beat, near the very end of the game.

Show people how absolutely bullshit clerics are. This is actually a pretty easy build.

Alternatively, since this is your first time...

If you have NEVER played Hordes of the Underdark before, and want to enjoy one of the builds that goes from zero to hero pretty fast:

Look for builds that include devastating critical. The builds are usually pretty grossly weak for a LONG time. And then you get Devastating Crit and proceed to one shot nearly everything, it's great.

Arcane Archers are a lot of fun, though definitely not the most powerful. They can definitely get through the entire game, though.

Druid/shifter is less powerful, overall, than a straight druid, but a whole heck of a lot cooler. Run around as golems and tigers and occasionally kobolds.

Playing a Wizard/Sorcerer/Cleric/Druid is definitely the way to go if you're not sure how good you are, though. Any of those guys can breeze through the game solo.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
If I recall right, an imported character from SoU generally has a little more in the way of levels, money and equipment compared to starting HotU, so I always play through SoU whenever I want to get a HotU playthrough done.

The starting-char is level 18 for the record, and in SoU you can reach at least level 20 if you do nearly everything - I'm not sure if 21 is already possible? I kind of forgot.
Qualifications are pretty simple,
Alignment: any lawful
Base attack bonus: +7
Feats: dodge, toughness
Race: dwarf

Spoilering just in case.

Also give me Deekin. All that you can. He's the best.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Lynneth posted:

Also give me Deekin. All that you can. He's the best.

I think I remember him from SoU ;)

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Warning: Far too many words about NWN minmaxing.

Assuming the game gets you some way into the Epic levels, Cleric/Dwarven Defender should be pretty easily viable. That said, Dwarven Defender grants no spellcasting progression which is very much a big deal. Cleric is so great because of the access to divine magic, first and foremost.

Depending on how aggressively you want to pursue the big tanky dwarven dream, something like Cleric 18/Dwarven Defender 5 would be perfectly acceptable. You'd gain most of the benefits of Dwarven Defender, namely the defensive stance and the ability to literally never be flanked. Which might sound lame but actually means you get to ignore the primary way that stealthy assholes get sneak attacks on your rear end. In practice, it's a better version of the Rogue's Uncanny Dodge.

I'm sure you can imagine how that might prove useful in a module called 'Hordes of the Underdark'. With that said, if you plan to beat nerds into a bloody pulp with your melee implement of choice remember that 'Divine Power' is your best friend.

But really, nearly any reasonable build with Cleric works so long as you don't needlessly gimp your ability to use divine magic in the process. If you're looking for Domain selection advice, you can't ever go wrong with Trickery and Travel respectively. Improved Invisibility and Haste respectively are utterly invaluable.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

I've downloaded a trainer program and I'm working on building out my Dwarven cleric but he's not quite ready to go yet. I hope to have the first episode up by tomorrow.

Otto von Bismarck
Nov 1, 2012
I'm not familiar with NwN but in 3.5 tabletop druids are awesome so roll one up.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Introducing dwarven defender into your cleric will just make the cleric worse. But, like, that's fine, clerics are op.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Just play a bard.

Blenderkitty
May 6, 2004

dog dog dog dog dog dog dog
Biscuit Hider
Playing a monk was the most fun I've had in a Bioware game, especially in the later levels. It doesn't make for the most cerebral play, but it's fun to kill things and have them not reciprocate.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I'm fairly sure I spent more time playing user-created modules for NWN than I ever did the original campaign or SoU, but Hordes is a perfectly reasonably game in its own right.

Also I think there's one wrong thing in the OP, though I might be remembering wrong myself; Hordes increased it so you have two companions. Either that or I just manually increased the limit.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Blenderkitty posted:

Playing a monk was the most fun I've had in a Bioware game, especially in the later levels. It doesn't make for the most cerebral play, but it's fun to kill things and have them not reciprocate.

Monks are actually extremely weak, but Hordes is a pretty easy game. They had to make it so that, say, a dwarven defender or a dual wielding ranger could finish the game, so playing the weaker classes (or a heavily houseruled stronger class) is usually the best way to play in general.

Going in as a full spellcaster is pretty crazy, especially if you use all the available equipment. You'll trash pretty much anything constantly.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Introducing dwarven defender into your cleric will just make the cleric worse. But, like, that's fine, clerics are op.

It's very awkward trying to get the Dex requirement for dodge and the feats to use a Dwarven Waraxe (Because we are :black101:) but I trust this suboptimal build will get carried by Cleric awesomeness.

Revenant Threshold posted:

I'm fairly sure I spent more time playing user-created modules for NWN than I ever did the original campaign or SoU, but Hordes is a perfectly reasonably game in its own right.

Also I think there's one wrong thing in the OP, though I might be remembering wrong myself; Hordes increased it so you have two companions. Either that or I just manually increased the limit.

Yeah the user-creation scene for this game was amazing. I'll fix the OP. It definitely makes me feel better having two henchmen.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Kanthulhu posted:

Just play a bard.
You can make it a bard/blackguard instead. Those are overpowered (although a lot of AD&D stuff are).

Anyway, anything that can get a lot of AC and survive being in the face of enemies will do fine. The vast majority of the opposition can only hit you on a natural 20 if you have a respectable amount of AC. Heck, I did just fine with a rogue since she simple had enough AC to survive being surrounded.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
It's a pity that this is your first playthrough, or else I would have suggested the dark path of the PRC mod. It has fun things like Oozemaster, Psionics, and a shapeshifter class that can actually copy enemies you encounter. It's as balanced as it sounds.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Baller Time posted:

It's a pity that this is your first playthrough, or else I would have suggested the dark path of the PRC mod. It has fun things like Oozemaster, Psionics, and a shapeshifter class that can actually copy enemies you encounter. It's as balanced as it sounds.

Aw man, I would have liked to play a Psion ;)

Anyhow the first episode is up, check it out and let me know what you think of the font size issue!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Are we really supposed to be scared of drow? They have +2LA, they're weak as hell. :v:

By the way did the queen really use the word mortal? Elves aren't immortal in dnd, right? They do have their pointy ears stuck pretty far up their own asses though.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Poil posted:

Are we really supposed to be scared of drow? They have +2LA, they're weak as hell. :v:

By the way did the queen really use the word mortal? Elves aren't immortal in dnd, right? They do have their pointy ears stuck pretty far up their own asses though.

Lefur Smar sure isn't scared of them. We are going to wreck some Drow face!

When Valsharess said her agents had access to power "beyond that of mere mortals" I think she may have been referring to the powers of the goddess Lolth. Her sign did show up in the ritual after all.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Font size was totally readable for me. Please, please don't read aloud the text.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Leaving text up for a few seconds (or the entire voice reading, if it's a voiced line) is fine; people can pause videos if they really read that slowly.

I've never understood why LPers read the line out. It's always boring and awful.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Leaving text up for a few seconds (or the entire voice reading, if it's a voiced line) is fine; people can pause videos if they really read that slowly.

I've never understood why LPers read the line out. It's always boring and awful.

Cool, that's what I prefer anyhow.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I loved this game, more for the extra prestige classes and level cap stuff than for the campaign, which was fun but way too easy.

I realize I'm late to the thread but I have to share a crazy build. My memory is fuzzy and the numbers are approximations but it goes like this:

Halfling

Fighter 4(?)Bard 4(?) Red Dragon Disciple 10

Feats: Improved critical (scimitar), power attack, cleave, great cleave. Nothing else matters.

Halflings are small, so they hold a medium weapon in 2 hands. That means you can get a keen scimitar and with the improved critical feat you get some crazy crit range (12-20? 10-20? I can't remember...) along with the 1.5x strength bonus from two-handing your weapon. The Red Dragon Disciple levels get you like +8 strength. You basically toss up huge damage crits every other hit and just Great Cleave your way through the whole game. Also, songs and spells and Devastating Critical instakills (right? did I remember that right?)!

But, it's also very boring, so don't do it.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I make an Animal Domain cleric for straightforward cheesy bullshit. As if 24-hour summoning spells weren't broken enough already.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Which animals can you use in this game? In the sequel you only have a few boring ones, a bear and in the second expansion a sweet dinosaur.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Poil posted:

Which animals can you use in this game? In the sequel you only have a few boring ones, a bear and in the second expansion a sweet dinosaur.

From Summon I to IX was badger, boar, wolf, spider, bear, tiger and then three tiers of elemental. I want to say the epic rules added a spell that summoned a dragon? There was one for a mummy.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Oh boy, Neverwinter Nights. :allears: I played the hell out of this game and its expansions in high school. I had no idea how to optimize junk in D&D 3e, so I somehow blasted through the main game and both expansions with a straight fighter. This game really is just that easy.

I also remember thinking Hordes of the Underdark was well-written. To be fair, compared to NWN and SoU, I guess it was, but already in the opening scene you can see just how shoddy David Gaider's writing is. I can't wait for it to become more obvious as we progress.

And yeah, the font is fine. There's absolutely no need to read the text word for word.

Also, does anyone mind if I drop some notes about what's going on under the hood in terms of D&D rules? I don't want to come off as the guy who being a jerk about not optimizing properly (and let's face it, tabletop 3E is actually far less fun when you min/max past a certain point), so much as pointing out just how screwy and hosed D&D 3E is as a rules system.

e: Also also, it's weird that your dwarf couldn't use a waraxe as a martial weapon, but hey when have D&D video games ever not been glitchy messes?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't know the 3e rules but in 3.5 I think clerics and dwarves don't get martial weapons. Dwarves get the dwarven waraxe though which is a completely and totally different weapon in every way. :downs:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Poil posted:

I don't know the 3e rules but in 3.5 I think clerics and dwarves don't get martial weapons. Dwarves get the dwarven waraxe though which is a completely and totally different weapon in every way. :downs:

I took a gander at the 3.0 player's handbook, and believe it or not dwarfs do NOT get to treat waraxes as martial weapons in that version. Crosschecking with a NWN wiki yields this:

quote:

Dwarves in D&D are allowed to treat dwarven waraxes as martial weapons due to familiarity. Hordes of the Underdark, however, did not introduce a "weapon proficiency (dwarf)" feat, so dwarves must still take exotic weapons proficiency to use these weapons.

So yeah, looks like it's bad programming that ends up working like the rules state anyway :shepface:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Poil posted:

That only matters for pc's npc's are as strong as they need to be.

This chick does have a pretty good reason to be confident however.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

From Summon I to IX was badger, boar, wolf, spider, bear, tiger and then three tiers of elemental. I want to say the epic rules added a spell that summoned a dragon? There was one for a mummy.

Two dragons, one replaces the first when it dies. You can Gate for a balor, but don't do it without protection from evil up.

It's totally possible I'm jumbling together epic spells from NWN1 and NWN2 though.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

A new episode is up! We finally get the adventure going in this one!

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Poil posted:

I'm going to guess you meant animal companion and not summons.

Mostly the same, except you could have a panther too.

Nuthin beats dino-buddy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

MaterialConceptual posted:

A new episode is up! We finally get the adventure going in this one!

So for those of us who don't know that, the "DnD"-Party actually consists of several companions you could take with you during the original Neverwinter Nights.

Also, I don't remeber if this is implemented in the game, but could someone check if you can transfom any Cleric-level spell into a healing spell of equal level, like in NwN2? Its one of the most useful features of a Cleric.

Nuramor fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 1, 2016

• Locked thread