Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I loved this game, more for the extra prestige classes and level cap stuff than for the campaign, which was fun but way too easy.

I realize I'm late to the thread but I have to share a crazy build. My memory is fuzzy and the numbers are approximations but it goes like this:

Halfling

Fighter 4(?)Bard 4(?) Red Dragon Disciple 10

Feats: Improved critical (scimitar), power attack, cleave, great cleave. Nothing else matters.

Halflings are small, so they hold a medium weapon in 2 hands. That means you can get a keen scimitar and with the improved critical feat you get some crazy crit range (12-20? 10-20? I can't remember...) along with the 1.5x strength bonus from two-handing your weapon. The Red Dragon Disciple levels get you like +8 strength. You basically toss up huge damage crits every other hit and just Great Cleave your way through the whole game. Also, songs and spells and Devastating Critical instakills (right? did I remember that right?)!

But, it's also very boring, so don't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

MarquiseMindfang posted:

The only build I remember making was a STR/CHR maxed Bard/Paladin/Red Dragon Disciple. My memory of this game is hazy but I remember something about adding CHR to damage, or AC, or both, as well as saves. It ended up pretty untouchable by the end of the game.

Make this build a halfling with a scimitar and you've got yourself a ballgame!

What did the designers (of NWN or 3.5) intend for the Red Dragon Disciple class? What was the point of all those crazy stat boosts? The only thing I can think of was that it was a desperate attempt to make pure melee fighters seem like a tempting choice even in the presence of unstoppable Clerics.

Honestly, there were so many shenanigans you could get up to to break this game. Figuring them out was part of the fun.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

My memory of this game is hazy but I remember something about adding CHR to damage, or AC, or both, as well as saves.

You definitely get a CHR bonus to all saves at all times with even 1 level of Paladin which led to things like people tossing 1 level of paladin in to their sorcerer builds. I can't remember about AC. I think you only get a CHR bonus to damage on smite attacks, which was a fight ability you had to actively use (like knockdown) and used up one of your turn undead attempts(?).

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

MechaCrash posted:

There was also a thing for "system mastery," which is why there's a lot of lovely feats. They are deliberately lovely to be newbie traps

This makes me kinda mad. Who is helped by this? Veteran players generally want to expand the player base of their game, while newbs want to learn the game as quickly and painlessly as possible. What kind of rear end in a top hat is excited at the possibility of demonstrating his "system mastery"? Especially when it comes at the expense of people learning to play?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Pvt.Scott posted:

This is what happens when we teach our kids that only the PC classes are cool. I bet all of the local zealots wanted to be Clerics or Paladins or Druids and whatnot and washed right out of basic training and dejectedly took up commoner. If we taught them that being an Adept is much more attainable, practical and useful to the community, maybe OP could have had his disease removed.

Thumbs up, I agree. Increase funding for NPC trade schools to fill all the Adept/Warrior/Expert job vacancies.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

MonsterEnvy posted:

Just a quick correction. Tyr is the God of Justice not duty. (Duty is the portfolio of his subordinate god Torm.)

loving bloated Astral bureaucracy if you ask me. If you made me Overgod, I'd have the whole thing running smoothly with 12 gods or less. Maybe 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

MaterialConceptual posted:

Okay I hunkered down this evening and polished off the game! Thanks for all the advice and other comments! It has been a much longer haul than I expected out of an expansion pack, but I did enjoy the experience and I hope you all did as well!

Look for a new LP from me in the near future, probably Front Mission for the NDS, which will follow up on my Front Mission 5 LP.

Episode 47
Episode 48
Episode 49 - FINAL

Bonus Conclusion Episode

:golfclap:

Wow, I hardly remember any of that.

I know that Aribeth's title card said that "the true responsibility lay with Mephistopheles" but I mean c'mon. She really needs to get out of the paladin business if she's going to get repurposed by some demon every storyline she's in.

• Locked thread