Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Think pieces like this are getting more and more popular. This is one of VICE's most read articles at the moment. Not only has this kind of 'activism' trendy but it's easily packaged and marketed.

quote:

2014 was the year that misandry became chic. That January began with the reminder from Madeleine Holden, creator of Critique my Dick Pic, that "dick is abundant and low value," a Tweet that resonated with the power of a 140-character manifesto. The movie release of Gone Girl and Taylor Swift's video for "Blank Space" made misandry aspirational. Etsy samplers emblazoned with "men are scum" and Café Press mugs reading "male tears" proliferated. The year ended with feminazis opening their 2014 Misandmas presents with glee, finding copies of Bitch Planet and Bad Feminist.

quote:

But in 2015, misandry changed and chic got real. Misandry isn't as simple as hating men. Just as misogyny is less a dislike of women and more a network of practice built on the oppression of women, misandry is a seething rage against patriarchal power, not just a dislike of men. And maybe it was born in irony, but it has hardened...

quote:

A man she'd looked up to, a man she'd thrilled to, and a man she's fapped to betray women? She looks around, and she fears every man, for every man feels implicated in the blank-faced denials of these famous men. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to misandry. And misandry leads to some pretty amazing social action, not to mention some great pop culture.

quote:

Misandry, 2015's rich, bitchy, delicious evidence suggests, is not a fad . It's in your music and on your television; it's at the movies and in your Twitter stream. It's shaping culture and it's influencing women . If your #MasculinitySoFragile that you've got a problem with that, let me refer you to Hillary Clinton's near-audible eye-rolling at the Benghazi hearing, to Ex Machina's sweetly homicidal Ava, or to New York City's 2015 manspreading misdemeanor. Misandry's here to stay, boys. Get used to it.

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/the-year-in-male-tears?utm_source=vicefbca

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
I have absolutely no loving idea what that collection of words is trying to convey.

gagelion2
Dec 8, 2015

by Shine
this is a picture of the author, no I am not kidding

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jesus Christ posted:

I have absolutely no loving idea what that collection of words is trying to convey.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
why does the lady who looks like mick jagger celebrate misandry?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if she even remotely resembled a woman, sure. but hating men means hating women who look exactly like bony old men, too.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

gagelion2 posted:

Is that a twelfth level Ghoul?

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994
Just remember the average man can overpower the average woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxObkfSqmQM

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

women have always hated me, I'm used to it

im a bit sad that the horse skeletons in fright wigs who write for Vice are turning on me too but i guess i had it coming

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
I always said that hate is a good and beneficial emotion. Let it flow

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
who cares

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

the thing about think pieces is that they're easily ignored but thanks for posting one in my safe space, loving idiot op

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jesus Christ posted:

I read it all and it was a bad idea to have done that.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I feel like normal rational people will still exist and be happy and also remain completely indifferent to the poo poo that article is talking about. Like if you don't read the internet and have a job you love, a family you enjoy, and a life, whether or not 2015 was the year of "male tears" is probably not even on your radar.

EDIT:

It is like if you made a website that talked about how oatmeal is the greatest food and posted about it all the time there, linked oatmeal related news, read posts from others that 100% agree that oatmeal is the best, etc. you might think that the whole world cares about oatmeal and agrees with you.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 27, 2015

gagelion2
Dec 8, 2015

by Shine
Imagine some ugly neckbeard wrote the same article with the genders reversed.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Demonachizer posted:

I feel like normal rational people will still exist and be happy and also remain completely indifferent to the poo poo that article is talking about. Like if you don't read the internet and have a job you love, a family you enjoy, and a life whether or not 2015 was the year of "male tears" is probably not even on your radar.

They're having sessions about trigger words in colleges and demand the removal of literature from common cores, so I think it's spreading

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

If you're upset by this you're a pretty pathetic loser fyi

Decebal posted:

They're having sessions about trigger words in colleges and demand the removal of literature from common cores, so I think it's spreading

uh no!!! not a flavour of the week that will affect nothing!!!!!!!

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 27, 2015

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

Gilganixon posted:

women have always hated me, I'm used to it

im a bit sad that the horse skeletons in fright wigs who write for Vice are turning on me too but i guess i had it coming

same

elliot rogers did nothing wrong

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

gagelion2 posted:

Hey, smoothskin...

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Decebal posted:

* some colleges.
I guess I do recall that when I was speaking with a Harvard English Professor recently about SJW poo poo he did mention one incident that he found a bit odd where a student was unhappy with a reading selection and complained to the department. He failed them for the assignment when they didn't turn in the work :shrug: He was of the opinion that you can read something you disagree with and write something compelling about it from that perspective. Like offensive books can be torn apart if you find them offensive? He was sort of out of the loop about that poo poo though because again he has a job he likes, has a family he enjoys, and a life.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Thought this was a thread about how good of a year it was for gay butt sex but I guess ya that too a lot of tweets this year maybe too many

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Decebal posted:

yes, this is a new phenomenon that has never happened before

women weren't burning bras in the 60s, books were never banned before

This has all happened before, and will continue to happen, it never has stopped, it's just taken a new form, chill the gently caress out

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gagelion2 posted:

Penis envy imo.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Personally I support it as being hated and dominated by women is my thing

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

rotinaj posted:

yes, this is a new phenomenon that has never happened before

women weren't burning bras in the 60s, books were never banned before

This has all happened before, and will continue to happen, it never has stopped, it's just taken a new form, chill the gently caress out

60's had real issues to fight against. Feels like they have the same passion today, but the issues don't deserve such an intensity

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Demonachizer posted:

I feel like normal rational people will still exist and be happy and also remain completely indifferent to the poo poo that article is talking about. Like if you don't read the internet and have a job you love, a family you enjoy, and a life, whether or not 2015 was the year of "male tears" is probably not even on your radar.

this.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
I cant wait until /pol/ becomes mainstream enough that we'll have cool bearded dudes writing op-eds about "2017: the year racism got its groove back"

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Can't wait for whitey to rise up and question why pac man and the Simpsons have to be yellow

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

2015 us almost over and I just found out that this was a bad year for My Team, why didn't you guys tell me?

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Play the game in reverse and pac man is a metaphor for Homer Simpson's a hole

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I actually read the article and the motivation is transparent

quote:

Twitter answered this call. While Twitter may appear to be a microblogging platform, it's really a petri dish for growing movements as disparate as Arab Spring, Occupy Wall Street and Black Lives Matter illustrate. Building on this history, Twitter users LaurenChief Elk, Yoeshin Lourdes, and Bardot Smith devised the hashtag and the movement #GiveYourMoneyToWomen, a radical—and controversial—concept that women deserve to be paid for emotional labor. The idea behind it, Chief Elk explained in a VICE interview, arose from her activist views that abusers be financially responsible to their victims. Chief Elk explained that the idea "came out of just thinking about what women have to do all day every day, whether that's in marriages or relationships or work environments."

As always, women want more money, they're just tired of pandering to males

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
pffffffffft i ain't care about misandry or feminism i mean come on *posts a billion threads a day about this stuff*

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Don Tacorleone posted:

Iirc that hashtag got immediately coopted by findom people

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Don Tacorleone posted:

quote:

:words: #giveyourmoneytowomen

Do men also get paid for emotional labour? Do lesbians have to pay their partners?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Do lesbians have to pay their partners?

only the butch ones

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

memy posted:

Iirc that hashtag got immediately coopted by findom people

Is findom the kink where you want to be sexually dominated by Finns?

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

People born in the 90s and all their rules are very confusing to me, I'm just going to continue to be a normal decent person if that's ok.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Skeleton Ape posted:

People born in the 90s and all their rules are very confusing to me, I'm just going to continue to be a normal decent person if that's ok.

die cis scum

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Skeleton Ape posted:

Depends on how you keep your legs on public transportation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Skeleton Ape posted:

Last five years or so people like the author of that article were extremely busy redefining what a "decent person" is

you ableist microagressor.

• Locked thread