Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
Recently I have become interested in the ancient divination method known as I Ching, or The Book of Changes.
This method has been used in China for thousands of years and still provides guidance today.

The divination is done with three coins, with the results of the throws making up a hexagram comprising of six lines. Each hexagram has it's unique meaning that relates to one's meditations.

Here's my most recent reading -
I'm in the process of planning a trip abroad. I consulted the I Ching regarding the outcome of the trip in terms of personal growth. This was the outcome:

The eleventh hexagram, Earth over Heaven, signaling Peace: .
Reading: The small departs,
The great approaches.
Good fortune. Success.

This is generally a good omen, but at the same time urges cation and warns from excessive confidence.

Some may say consulting the oracle is an uncivilized way of abandoning one's fate to literally an outcome of a coin toss, foregoing reasoning in favour of what is essentially idol worship.
I don't see it that way. In my opinion, a modern and inquisitive mind can use the Tao cautiously, taking further insight from its readings. In essence, it's another way of looking at things, helping with thoughts of a profound nature.

I am only at the very beginning of my learning of the I Ching. It's very interesting to me to hear the experiences of other goons. i encourage you to share recent readings and thoughts of this awe-inspiring and ancient method of tapping into one's inner voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 4, 2010

dude what the gently caress you talking about

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
...you ching...

...we all ching...

...for I Ching!

Lemon
May 22, 2003

That's odd, because I chong.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
*In slow voice because being foreign is a form of retardation* Hello, Ching! Nice to meet you!

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Ag2211v5Y

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I learned about this thing in college and its poo poo.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
#!/usr/bin/perl
# method for generating random i ching hexagrams at http://deoxy.org/iching

# define the lines
%lines = (
6 => '-- x --', # yin changing to yang
7 => '-------', # yang
8 => '-- --', # yin
9 => '---o---', # yang changing to yin
);

# define the coin
@coin = qw(2 3);

# toss 3 coins 6 times
for (1..6) {
$a = @coin[rand @coin];
$b = @coin[rand @coin];
$c = @coin[rand @coin];

# add the results
$line = $a + $b + $c;

# put result in a list, bottom line first
push @lines, $line;
}

# reverse the list so top line is first and print each line
print "$lines{$_}\n" for reverse @lines;

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
I once wasn't sure how I should best manage my electronic communications so I looked to my magic 8-ball for guidance. It said "Outlook not good".

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Sun Tzu banned his generals from using the I Ching, because they were too busy waiting for the predictions to come true, as opposed to using the divination to guide their tactical thoughts to decisions and assessment. I can just imagine him getting pissed off with a general because they are literally waiting to see a fox get to the other side of the river with a dry tail. IT MEANS ATTACK YOU DUMMY.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FCxKNkDTDY

srsly tho the chinese also like to do this so id be most critical of their magic divination coins

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

I learned about this thing in college and its poo poo.

Learning about something superficially in college is not the same as coming to it with an open mind and respecting the tradition behind it, which is much older than Christianity for what it's worth. HTH

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

Mr.Tophat posted:

Sun Tzu banned his generals from using the I Ching, because they were too busy waiting for the predictions to come true, as opposed to using the divination to guide their tactical thoughts to decisions and assessment. I can just imagine him getting pissed off with a general because they are literally waiting to see a fox get to the other side of the river with a dry tail. IT MEANS ATTACK YOU DUMMY.

Sounds more like vague garbage to me.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Soul Reaver posted:

Sounds more like vague garbage to me.

It's not. It provides a +2 circumstance bonus on will saves.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

H.H posted:

Learning about something superficially in college is not the same as coming to it with an open mind and respecting the tradition behind it, which is much older than Christianity for what it's worth. HTH

Just like trepanning to cure headaches!

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
Do an anonymous confession thread where you respond with a reading.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
what's the monkey puncher's fortune say?

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

H.H posted:

Recently I have become interested in the ancient divination method known as I Ching, or The Book of Changes.

Your mom has gone through the book of changes and that's why your dad is banging your Auntie Jo.

Happy to help with any other life issues you may have. Also Merry Christmas!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ooooooh blast from the past remember alexchiu.com?

This fucker right here also had a huge amount of I ching bullshit on his site, drat I regret never getting my free immortality magnet rings

e: Hot drat this guy was still doing stuff a couple of years back hahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6NXtaUoy6c

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

captainoblivious posted:

Do an anonymous confession thread where you respond with a reading.

Lowtax closed the previous thread because a confession about his wife was posted, and it pissed him off.
I dodged a ban that time, not going to risk flying too close to the sun a second time.

This is, however, a great idea. If anyone wants to take it up, I will definitely help if I can. Altough I must warn you: tread with cation. The wrath of Lowtax is frightening.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I ching, therefore I am.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

I ching, therefore I am.

Capitalism is wonderful for affirming who you are

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

phillip k dick used the i ching to write the man in the high castle. that's a little fun fact for you and also an explanation of why it sucked so bad.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

phillip k dick used the i ching to write the man in the high castle. that's a little fun fact for you and also an explanation of why it sucked so bad.

Yeah, I mean talk about a huge letdown. I even like Philip k dick and that book was mediocre. The show is even worse but at least it has some real good potential if it get's more seasons and they fire the writing staff for someone who knows how to write a tight script with some actual momentum.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

loving posers use coins. Use the sticks you pussy.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
dude RBG for life

firebomb police stations unite the hood under the i ching banner

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Oh are you reading Man in the High Castle too?

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
a lot of what archaeologists have discovered about the details of the shang dynasty and its period has come from oracle bones bc those are the kind of materials that can last like 3k+ years and still be legible so theres always an upside to retarded superstition i guess

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Itching here personally.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I ching

I E-mail

I browse

I laugh

I tell facts

I schedule

I download

I sing

I search

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

I also love Anime, OP.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

dumb poo poo for heroin addicts who like procedurally generated writing

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

itd be like if the only thing ppl in 5000 knew about us was from madame tarot personalized readings and caches of notes from the western wall praying for an end to violence and this rash on my crotch

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

whoflungpoop posted:

itd be like if the only thing ppl in 5000 knew about us was from madame tarot personalized readings and caches of notes from the western wall praying for an end to violence and this rash on my crotch

I pray 4 your crrotch. Have you tried baby powder with zinc oxide?

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

Microwaves Mom posted:

I pray 4 your crrotch. Have you tried baby powder with zinc oxide?

turned out to be a weather thing but ty for vigilance

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

H.H posted:

Lowtax closed the previous thread because a confession about his wife was posted, and it pissed him off.
I dodged a ban that time, not going to risk flying too close to the sun a second time.

This is, however, a great idea. If anyone wants to take it up, I will definitely help if I can. Altough I must warn you: tread with cation. The wrath of Lowtax is frightening.

Maybe just don't post the (obviously true) confessions about cucking Lowtax in the next one

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I'm getting a message from someone... a man, he says his name is... I can't quite make it out, I think it begins with a J or W, is anyone here looking for a message from a J or W?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

H.H posted:

I'm low on toilet paper, what should I do?

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

Aralan posted:

Maybe just don't post the (obviously true) confessions about cucking Lowtax in the next one

OOOOOBVIOUSLY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm low on toilet paper, what should I do?

The I Ching should not be consulted on frivolous or yes/no questions.

I suggest you go buy some more, but this is just a personal opinion.

• Locked thread