Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art
Sign me up for the booklord, I'll do 40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I'll do the booklord challenge and shoot for at least 30 books read.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

60 total and booklord challenge! I've been hitting 60+ the past few years so feel confident here.

My goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/15950626-c-m

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
To anyone who is wondering how to fit more books into their reading time: graphic novels are usually a good idea, especially if you have access to a library. There are some really good books out there, and they're usually quick reads to boot.

Some suggestions (based on what I read last year):

Beautiful Darkness - Fabien Vehlmann. (If you're OK with dark and violent content).
Can't We Talk About Something Pleasant? - Roz Chast. (If you're OK with content about elderly parents and physical / mental deterioration). *
Bitch Planet vol. 1 - Kelly Sue DeConnick. (If you're OK with confrontational, unsubtle feminism). *
Saga or Y: The Last Man - Brian K. Vaughan. (Both series are really good. YTLM is finished, Saga is still going, although a deluxe edition of Saga is available).
Showa: A History of Japan 1926 - 1939 - Shigeru Mizuki (R.I.P). (Excellent manga history of Japan, mixed with details from the author's life. Very informative. Also recommended: Mizuki had a ton of good stuff, there's a reason he was so highly regarded, but NonNonBa and GeGeGe No Kitaro are listed in the latest edition of 1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die, if that helps).
Pyongyang / Burma Chronicles - Guy Delisle. (If you're interested in North Korea / Myanmar (Burma). Both books are a bit outdated: the first came out before Kim Jong-Il died, and the second was published while the Burmese military junta was still active. That doesn't mean that they're not still good, just a heads-up).

Also: Maus - Art Spiegelman, which I read a while before this year. There's a reason why people are still talking about this book.

* Women authors, for anyone keeping track.

ghost crow
Jul 9, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm in. I did 50 last year so I'll shoot for that again. Fifteen nonfiction, ten classics, at least 5 collections of poetry, and I'll do the booklord challenge as well.

ghost crow fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 2, 2016

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

I'm in for 52 books and the book lord challenge! Hopefully I can make It, this year is going to be very busy!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

screenwritersblues posted:

The 2016 Book Lord Challenge

1) Vanilla Number
2) Something written by a woman
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author
4) Something written in the 1800s
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice)
6) A book about or narrated by an animal
7) A collection of essays.
8) A work of Science Fiction
9) Something written by a musician
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages
11) Read something about or set in NYC
12) Read Airplane fiction (Patterson, ect)
13) Read Something YA
14) Wildcard!
15) Something recently published (up to a year. The year will be the day you start this challenge)
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now.
17) The First book in a series
18) A biography or autobiography
19) Read something from the lost generation (Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, ect.) or from the Beat Genneration
20) Read a banned book
21) A Short Story collection
22) It’s a Mystery.

Put me down for the booklord challenge, with a vanilla number of 26. No books I have read before count.

Someone wildcard me (preferably science fiction or fantasy)!

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
I failed last year's challenge spectacularly for a variety of reasons that don't really matter. I've set a ludicrously low challenge for this year of 12 books, which means I'm obviously not doing the Booklord challenge. Maybe if I find myself doing spectacularly well a few months from now I'll add more books or take up the extra challenge but let's get real here, that's very likely not going to happen.

Edit: My Goodreads account is here.

Captain Vittles fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 3, 2016

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Captain Vittles posted:

I failed last year's challenge spectacularly for a variety of reasons that don't really matter. I've set a ludicrously low challenge for this year of 12 books, which means I'm obviously not doing the Booklord challenge.

What, like you can't manage to find books that fit two or more points in the challenge? (Actually it would be kind of interesting to try to complete the challenge with as few books as possible.)

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I only read autobiographical young adult science fiction by non-white women from the 1800s anyway, so it should be easy.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I got hella reading done in undergrad, but now that I'm doing a master's I keep having stretches where I get a lot read and then term papers/presentations/all kinds of uni-related bullshit get in the way and I don't manage to read much for a while. Last year my challenge was 45 including booklord and I didn't quite make it (37 and missed two categories), so I'm gonna shoot for the same this year and try to read more in general and hope that after I turn in my thesis in July I have more time.

TLDR: Quantitative challenge is 45 and I'm gonna do the booklord challenge!

e:

Groke posted:

What, like you can't manage to find books that fit two or more points in the challenge? (Actually it would be kind of interesting to try to complete the challenge with as few books as possible.)

It's true that you could definitely find tons of overlap (last year I noticed that several of my books could fit at least two categories). Part of the fun of the challenge is reading a wider variety of books, though, so I personally prefer to just do one category per book!

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 2, 2016

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched "Star Trek?"
Good Lord
I'll sign up for this again.

25 books for me this year.

At least 12 that I own already (I have a terrible habit of buying new books rather than reading the ones I have).

No Booklord challenge for me

Post at least once a month with an update!

EDIT: My Goodreads for anyone who wants it https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/10984480-edward

EDIT 2: Would anyone be interested if I created something similar for films in the cinema forum?

Mollsmolyneux fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 2, 2016

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art

Mollsmolyneux posted:

EDIT 2: Would anyone be interested if I created something similar for films in the cinema forum?

That would be most excellent.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Dienes posted:

Put me down for the booklord challenge, with a vanilla number of 26. No books I have read before count.

Beauty is a Wound - Eka Kurniawan

marblize
Sep 6, 2015

Those Taking The Booklord Challenge

marblize: 26 books, 13 by non white authors

small correction, sorry!

I'm doing 52 books total with at least 26 of them being by women and at least 13 of them being by non-white folks.

mania
Sep 9, 2004
52 books, with at least 5 non-fiction, as I did really badly on the non-fiction front last year.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

Groke posted:

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

It's true that you could definitely find tons of overlap (last year I noticed that several of my books could fit at least two categories). Part of the fun of the challenge is reading a wider variety of books, though, so I personally prefer to just do one category per book!

This, pretty much. The challenge strikes me as one intended to get you to read 20-odd books that occasionally push outside your reading comfort zone. It would feel disingenuous to double up categories just to stick to my drastically reduced reading goal. If I find myself doing better than expected later in the year then maybe I'll take it up but let's be real here - this is my sixth year attempting any sort of reading challenge and I've missed my goal for all of the previous five. My focus for this year is to build little bits of time to read into my day in order to meet a modest goal.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
Okay, so last year I failed the book lord challenge, but managed to read my goal of 70 books. This year, I'm attempting book lord again along with 52 books.

Here's my goodreads account. https://www.goodreads.com/Namirsolo

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Groke posted:

I'm intrigued by this. I'm going to try and do the challenge the proper way, but alongside that I'm going to keep in mind trying to do it with the fewest possible books as a side project. Annoyingly just at the end of 2015 I read one which would have hit a triple category (non-white woman writing about an animal)!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I'm going for 52 books total, at least 24 by female authors and at least 12 non-fiction again this year. And again, no more than three books by a single author.

Here's my Goodreads.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Smashed last year's goal of 52 with 59 books, but didn't hit all the booklord challenges, maybe only half of them? Read 13 female authors so I guess that is pretty good. Though I will say for the most part I prefer male writers.

I'm in with 60 books, but 10 female and 10 POC authors, as well as at least 5 500+ books.

Cheers

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I've updated the second and third posts again. Note: If you haven't told me that you're taking the book lord challenge, I put you in the third post. If you are taking the Booklord challenge, please let me know. Also, if you see something else that I need to change, don't be afraid to tell me.

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010
This year i am going all in with 75 books (all audiobooks) and yes i'll take a stab at the Bookriot challenge

Please feel free to add me as a friend on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3602618-fritzov

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Trains to lift up and protect her friends... and maybe to pick them up and carry them when they are tired :)
Kinda slacked on the reading last year after getting a new job, so I'm getting into this.

Goal is 52 books, with the Booklord challenge.

here's my Goodreads, which I probably will forget to update or view - https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5525562-patrick

GarbiTheGlitchress fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 3, 2016

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I'm in for 52 books... that's it. For now. If I'm ahead at some point I may update to do the challenge as well.

nefarias bredd
May 4, 2013
Oh yeah, here's my Goodreads if anyone's interested: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1851882-suzie

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Not taking the challenge, but aiming for 52 this year, as 70 was singularly failed last year. Haven't kept up goodreads for like a year and a half, if I do pick it back up I will re-link it.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

I've updated the second and third posts again. Note: If you haven't told me that you're taking the book lord challenge, I put you in the third post. If you are taking the Booklord challenge, please let me know. Also, if you see something else that I need to change, don't be afraid to tell me.

I'm not listed for taking the booklord challenge and 52 books.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

ltr posted:

I'm not listed for taking the booklord challenge and 52 books.

Probably because I missed you during the initial sign up.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

LionArcher posted:

I'm in for 52 books... that's it. For now. If I'm ahead at some point I may update to do the challenge as well.

Sounds good. If you want to join, let me know any time.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Will do blues. Will do.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Don't forget to add me too.

Dienes posted:

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

saphron posted:

What the hell, let's do this again: I'm in for 35 books this year and the challenge as well.

I think you missed me as well.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I will do a 52 book challenge, with at least 10 non-fiction books included in that.

I will allow a Book Lord to define my fate, because I already have one of each on my list.

I haven't managed 52 books in a single year since 2012, and barely broke 30 in 2015. Time to fix that.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

I will allow a Book Lord to define my fate, because I already have one of each on my list.

You shall do the bookriot challenge.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

You shall do the bookriot challenge.

hi blues, I think you forgot me. I'm in for 52 books and no challenge :)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm doing my own personal challenge involving reading only books written by women this year. I was going to put up a blog but haven't yet because I got lazy over the holiday break, will hopefully put one up in the next week or so.

I will probably do the booklord challenge since I am hitting a bunch of those topics anyway, but will need to make sure they fall within the limits of my own challenge (so wildcard, etc)

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm doing my own personal challenge involving reading only books written by women this year. I was going to put up a blog but haven't yet because I got lazy over the holiday break, will hopefully put one up in the next week or so.

I will probably do the booklord challenge since I am hitting a bunch of those topics anyway, but will need to make sure they fall within the limits of my own challenge (so wildcard, etc)

If you haven't already, read The Dark Room by Rachel Seiffert for your wildcard. I think I wildcarded this to someone last year and don't recall whether they read it or not, so let's throw it in again!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Corrode posted:

If you haven't already, read The Dark Room by Rachel Seiffert for your wildcard. I think I wildcarded this to someone last year and don't recall whether they read it or not, so let's throw it in again!

cool, that helps, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

You forgot to add my meager challenge as well:

Captain Vittles posted:

I've set a ludicrously low challenge for this year of 12 books, which means I'm obviously not doing the Booklord challenge.

• Locked thread