Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
I love Rebuild 2 and loving hate Rebuild 3. If 4 does something good with it I might reevaluate it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Chickenfrogman posted:

I love Rebuild 2 and loving hate Rebuild 3. If 4 does something good with it I might reevaluate it though.

What do you like and hate about each?

(If you're worried about spoilers here I'd be happy to ask in the main Eva thread.)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Evageeks FTW

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shinji seems like more of a Joy Division or Bauhaus fan

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

lmao

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Theory_and_Analysis:Ritsuko%27s_Interrogation

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Ritsuko, firm in manner, in the nude,...

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
ADTRW HELP!

My Dad is watching EVA and I don't know what to do.

I think he's watching episode 22 right now!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

ADTRW HELP!

Join him

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You mustn't run away! Face your father MechanicalTomPetty!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Droyer posted:

Join him

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Today I watched my Dad watch EVA while Asuka got mind raped with Hallelujah playing at full blast.

I think I just witnessed something profound.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

ADTRW HELP!

Desperately try to gain his approval at the expense of your own mental and physical well-being.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Buy your dad an account

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What do you like and hate about each?

(If you're worried about spoilers here I'd be happy to ask in the main Eva thread.)

I'm happy to admit that my reasons for disliking Rebuild 3 are really stupid and kneejerk, but I am dumb and have been waiting for the dub Blurays to rewatch it.

I like the changes Rebuild 2 made a lot, and I really really like the whole sequence of Shinji choosing to berserk to save Rei. The sequence being framed as Shinji finally choosing to do something because he wants to do it and not purely as an apocalypse made me read it as Shinji finally accepting and trying to grow as a person, even if he was loving over everything in the process and Misato backing him up on this kinda led me to keep this interpretation. So when 3 came out and dumped all over this, I just naturally reacted with "but you're making GBS threads on my favorite part of the previous movie". While I understand that's kind of the point now that it's been a while and that it's more the characters blaming Shinji then it seems the writers intentionally making GBS threads on the big moment from 2, it still bugs me.

I also just don't like the weird timeskip and the stuff like the Eva pilots arbitrarily not aging. Those are just kinda dumb. But like I said, it's been a long time since I've watched 3 and I'm actually looking forward to rewatching and re-evaluating it soon, since my opinion of the original show went way up on my first rewatch.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's worth rewatching. There's a lot of nuance to the ending of Rebuild 2 and then the dynamics of guilt in Rebuild 3, to the point where almost any snap judgment of either is going to be wrong -- to say nothing of the amount of missing information in 3 that 4 may or may not address.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've always thought 2.22 was the worst of the Rebuilds myself, since it's the one that feels the most like tv show episodes kind of just barely stitched together throughout most of the movie. 1.11 kind of is this way too, but those first six or so episodes of the original series fit together really well.

I think part of what makes 3.33 so different is that it basically is the first actual Evangelion movie that was meant to be a feature film from the ground up, so you don't get these somewhat arbitrary cuts to Angels just popping in out of nowhere like an hour into the movie. Even EoE is structured as two episodes, with the credits serving as an intermission of sorts between them.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 29, 2016

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

ADTRW HELP!

Ensure EoE is ready to be played so he can immediately watch it after the show.

Also your dad might just be a goon trying to catch up to the thread. :v:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The difference between 3.33 and 1.11/2.22, at least in terms of TV episode plots being woven into the films, is that while the first two are a stiching together of several episodes and the third is just one (24) stretched out to one film. Albeit with a healthy amount of new content if you're being charitable, padding if you're not.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
I rewatched eoe for the first time in maybe 10ish years this time as the sub. Man the audio quality is so much better for the background sound effects and music than the dub :psyduck: and the overly comical slime noises when people are shot.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Just managed to untangle myself from post-Evangelion ennui fetal position long enough to crawl to my keyboard.
Holy poo poo, EoE is a beautiful-rear end movie and there should probably be a law against throwing so much animation talent at robo-fighting and also a law against not watching EoE. The punishment for breaking it will be watching EoE.
Now i'm gonna go listen to the entire Eva soundtrack and drink like 5 liters of hot chocolate.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I highly encourage anyone who can track it down to watch EoE one more time with the commentary track by Amanda Winn Lee and a couple other dub cast members, not because it's particularly informative (in fact, Lee's grasp of Japanese is famously questionable for someone as important to translation as she was) but because it's kind of cathartic hearing all these actors talking about how they really weren't expecting Eva to be as hardcore a work as it was and just sort of dealing with how depressing it was to experience firsthand.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
EoE has a rather poor dub. The main characters all do really well but there's a bunch of silly things going on surrounding that, like the fact that everyone now pronounces "eva" completely differently

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Jostiband posted:

Just managed to untangle myself from post-Evangelion ennui fetal position long enough to crawl to my keyboard.
Holy poo poo, EoE is a beautiful-rear end movie and there should probably be a law against throwing so much animation talent at robo-fighting and also a law against not watching EoE. The punishment for breaking it will be watching EoE.
Now i'm gonna go listen to the entire Eva soundtrack and drink like 5 liters of hot chocolate.

Final stage then eh?

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Uhm, no! I want to drink the warm chocolate, not have sex with it! what teh h*ck!

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jostiband posted:

Uhm, no! I want to drink the warm chocolate, not have sex with it! what teh h*ck!

Talking about a previous post of mine. Sex with hot chocolate would hurt.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I'm so hosed up

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Its not over yet. After getting my girlfriend into anime via psychopass, she wants to now watch Eva.

I have not done the latest watch (was waiting until the summer) but seems im going all in.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ganbare

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Eggs and the hatching from them always make me think of Utena. A lot in Eva made me think of Utena.
They covered a fair bit of similar ground, just with the respective framings of shonen/shoujo anime.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
So, something I've been meaning to ask you guys--I didn't re-watch anything yet--is what is Professor Fuyutsuki's (sp) deal? He almost seems kind of admirable for a bit, but then pretty much goes all in on Gendo. Was that because of the GEHIRN/SEELE threats or did he become a True Believer in the HIP after that demonstration? It might've been explained but I missed it.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Agronox posted:

So, something I've been meaning to ask you guys--I didn't re-watch anything yet--is what is Professor Fuyutsuki's (sp) deal? He almost seems kind of admirable for a bit, but then pretty much goes all in on Gendo. Was that because of the GEHIRN/SEELE threats or did he become a True Believer in the HIP after that demonstration? It might've been explained but I missed it.

Who did he see during HI? Thats why.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well, it's Saturday afternoon, guess it's EoE time.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

It's been EoE time for so many years now :shepface:

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Well, it's Saturday afternoon, guess it's EoE time.

Ganbare

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Love is destructive

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I feel sick

I don't think I ever noticed the actual blood coming out of Asuka's eye before, or I did and blocked it out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think that cut to the live action empty theatre is the thing that makes me most regret never having seen this in an actual cinema.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I think that cut to the live action empty theatre is the thing that makes me most regret never having seen this in an actual cinema.

• Locked thread