Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I did it, i caught up. i think i actually watched the first few episodes a super long time ago since I remember what's happening vaguely but i imagine we'll be in new material soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Catching up now. Never gonna skip this OP.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It is really easy to see why Past_Cantaloupe was suckered into thinking this was just a robot action show. Knowing what I do now, I'm very hopeful I'll be able to get more out of it.

Otoh, drat this is good and pretty action.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It is really easy to see why Past_Cantaloupe was suckered into thinking this was just a robot action show. Knowing what I do now, I'm very hopeful I'll be able to get more out of it.

Otoh, drat this is good and pretty action.

TBH I kinda wish I went into it thinking it was just a normal robot show. I didn't start it until I knew a little more about it, it would've been nice to go at it from that angle.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Admoon posted:

TBH I kinda wish I went into it thinking it was just a normal robot show. I didn't start it until I knew a little more about it, it would've been nice to go at it from that angle.

My robot action expectations led me to be immensely disappointed by the end. Perhaps that's right and proper for a first viewing, but it's ended up taking me a dozen years to give it a second.

Speaking of endings, I don't think I'll be skipping the ED either.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Catching up now. Never gonna skip this OP.

Never gonna let you down.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Misato did nothing for me in high school, but she's the best now.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
After a delay because streaming these gigantic files over the wireless to my htpc wasn't working out well: the berserk Eva is as cool as ever, I didn't at all recall faceless Misato encouraging Shinji but it was really creepy, and Gendo is an even worse father than I remembered.

I didn't manage to catch up by 8 EST, but I'm going to keep trucking, catch up a bit late, and hopefully be on board around the appointed time from next week on.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tonight's episodes keep up the streak of being a good pair that works well together. Get hyped.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
gendo is a good father

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This is the most emotion you're going to see Gendo show.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i love the rockets on the giant power plug

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

lets hang out posted:

i love the rockets on the giant power plug

I really love the way they animated it bouncing around the test area. Really emphasizes how out of control the situation is.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Now that I'm an adult, I can really appreciate the accurate depiction of teenage libido during the PE scene.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the scale of everything in evangelion is so crazy

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Curry in the instant ramen... Misato is such a loving goon.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This is the "Leia kisses Luke" scene of Evangelion.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Never noticed shinji subtly "feeling" with his hand while trying to explain

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Interesting that when talking about the incident, Shinji says "Otou-san wa?" rather than "Otou-san ga?", emphasizing that he's questioning the action rather than the person that performed it.

I would have expected the latter, but I'm not sure what this specifically signifies.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

finally best girl has arrived

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I know y'all are in the middle of watching 5-6, but holy crap the fight in 3 is 800x more intense than I remembered. Maybe it's due to watching it with Shinji's perspective in mind, but dang, I think I need another drink and a short break.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

lets hang out posted:

finally best girl has arrived

It's one of my favorites of the monster of the week parts of the show. It's incredibly memorable.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I know y'all are in the middle of watching 5-6, but holy crap the fight in 3 is 800x more intense than I remembered. Maybe it's due to watching it with Shinji's perspective in mind, but dang, I think I need another drink and a short break.

When I was watching that ep I completely forgot how loud it was when he's stabbing the core before losing power.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Yeah, this is definitely one of my favorite Angel battles and Angels.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

"you need to keep in mind gravity, magnetic fields, and the rotation of the earth"

"what"

"just kidding, pull the trigger when the crosshairs line up"

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

god drat so much good framing on the scenes in this ep

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Even before the second half the monster of the week stuff really sets the show apart from its peers. Episodes like this really emphasize it; most of the Angels are unique and memorable. NERV has to plan around their capabilities. And most importantly, they don't have a stock footage finishing move to pull out. They gotta do something different to finish the job each time.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Great, now it's nothing but Angel meat sandwiches for the next 19 months.

Next Monday is the Jet Alone episode, which is a great Misato-centered episode, and then we have the first appearance of the best character.

Kytrarewn posted:

Interesting that when talking about the incident, Shinji says "Otou-san wa?" rather than "Otou-san ga?", emphasizing that he's questioning the action rather than the person that performed it.

I would have expected the latter, but I'm not sure what this specifically signifies.

Sort of along the same lines, I noticed this time around that most of the characters have their names written in katakana in the credits, instead of in hirigana or kanji.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

:swoon:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

He looks especially like Shinji in that shot.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

True story: I bought a unit 00 toy/action figure a year or more before I ever even heard of Evangelion, I just saw it at the Nerd Store and thought it looked cool as hell. I was a bit confused because there were tank treads on the sniper rifle and I had no idea why; this is because I thought it was power armor, I had no clue it was a giant robot and the packaging didn't really clarify anything.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I love Rei, she's so...off, and eerie.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It makes sense that I wouldn't have noticed it before, but it still seems odd that I didn't realize that the kids in school speak in Kansaiben.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Edit: wrong thread ignore this.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It makes sense that I wouldn't have noticed it before, but it still seems odd that I didn't realize that the kids in school speak in Kansaiben.

It's funny when Toji and Kensuke visit shinji for the first time and Toji starts using standard japanese when talking to Misato

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Srice posted:

Even before the second half the monster of the week stuff really sets the show apart from its peers. Episodes like this really emphasize it; most of the Angels are unique and memorable. NERV has to plan around their capabilities. And most importantly, they don't have a stock footage finishing move to pull out. They gotta do something different to finish the job each time.

Yeah this is the angel that kind of blew away my expectations of what the conflicts in this show would be like and left me really excited to see what was to come.

Misato also comes across as very good at her job in ep 6, which is nice to see after her introduction as a complete slob.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I like Rei more than I did the first time through. She's much more human than I recall. Overall, these two episodes feel much more chill than the first four.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah but then you have to listen to Kermit the Frog as Shinji.

Haha, I ran into him in an elevator at A-kon one year. My half-naked friend gave him a hug. It was awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Apparently I gave this show a 7 on MAL? I feel like even if every remaining episode was just the last episode of Kare Kano repeated it would still rate higher than that on the strength of these six episodes alone.

• Locked thread