Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Maybe you were using the entire range of numbers between 1 and 10 instead of the standard 7-10 rating scale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Maybe you were using the entire range of numbers between 1 and 10 instead of the standard 7-10 rating scale?

7 is my "it's good, but not great."

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Oh hey this show. This is a good show.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I like Rei more than I did the first time through. She's much more human than I recall.
Rei is a lot more human than most people recall.

There's a reason for that though which I'm sure you'll realize/remember shortly.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I am two episodes in and hoping to catch up by the end of next week. I've never seen this before (but am spoiled as to some of the plot and most of the ending), so here are some first impressions:
  • The art seems decent but old. I'm not watching the Blu-ray versions, but maybe I should try to.
  • The biggest thing that struck me was just how alienating everything is. Everyone but Shinji seems to be cold and posturing, even if they mean well, as Misato seems to.
  • I may have missed it, but how old are Shinji and Misato supposed to be?
  • Interesting pacing choices, the way they show us the results of the episode 1 battle, but I liked it.
  • Shinji's dad seems pretty freaking ominous. Maybe he will become a lovable sad sack Madao before this is over.
  • Lots of Christian and birthing imagery.
  • The preview is promising fan service? Ugh.
  • And, oh yeah, Fly Me to the Moon? Very interesting choice. I like it!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Agronox posted:

[*]The preview is promising fan service? Ugh.
[/list]

looking forward to it.

Shinji is 14, Misato is mid-twenties? I don't think they've given her an age yet.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I have to say, my impression has been tainted/changed-dramatically from having recently watched Angel Beats and Medaka Box, in each of which Shinji's VA plays a male character with the same voice.

But I have to agree, Rei definitely isn't the totally emotionless character I remember from 12 years ago, though that could just as easily be by virtue of the higher resolution source (cable tv on a 13" screen or compressed-to-hell video from whatever seemed to have sharers on kazaa lite) and the JP voice acting (I watched the last couple episodes in japanese last time, but all of the groundwork was laid in the dubbed version on adult swim).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cake Attack posted:

looking forward to it.

Shinji is 14, Misato is mid-twenties? I don't think they've given her an age yet.
She's 29.

Apparently Anno described her as an older Usagi Tsukino.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

what the

e: holy wrong thread

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Apparently I gave this show a 7 on MAL?

woah that's hosed up

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
A noob's thoughts on episodes 3 and 4
  • Ha! This episode is literally called "The Hedgehog's Dilemma?" Okay I think we can safely say alienation is a Major Theme of the show now.
  • I wonder if the sounds of cicadas has ever driven anyone insane.
  • So far this show is kind of like a robot version of Ender's Game where Ender never had a Valentine in his life.
  • I think if I saw this when I was younger I'd hate Shinji.
  • Speaking of whom, can somebody please hug this poor kid?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Kytrarewn posted:

But I have to agree, Rei definitely isn't the totally emotionless character I remember from 12 years ago, though that could just as easily be by virtue of the higher resolution source (cable tv on a 13" screen or compressed-to-hell video from whatever seemed to have sharers on kazaa lite) and the JP voice acting (I watched the last couple episodes in japanese last time, but all of the groundwork was laid in the dubbed version on adult swim).

fifthly dub haver here, rei isn't emotionless in that either

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Apparently I gave this show a 7 on MAL? I feel like even if every remaining episode was just the last episode of Kare Kano repeated it would still rate higher than that on the strength of these six episodes alone.

To be honest I'm really bad at keeping my scores consistent and I often adjust them in hindsight later on, which is probably not really in the spirit of the site but oh well.

Agronox posted:

[*]Ha! This episode is literally called "The Hedgehog's Dilemma?" Okay I think we can safely say alienation is a Major Theme of the show now.

On my first time through I distinctly remember thinking to myself "oh wow that's totally me" when I heard the description in the show. How embarrassing.

l33tc4k30fd00m fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 3, 2016

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i'll follow along with the thread but i'm not going to be watching along this time because i make a point to watch it every year once a year in may. it's basically ritualistic at this point, and this year will mark a decade since i first watched it. end of evangelion is my favorite movie ever. at the risk of sounding hyperbolic this show/movie/franchise changed my life.

i think my only advice for first timers would be to go with the flow and try not to take too much of a left brained approach to it lest you fall down a rabbit hole.

Agronox posted:

I am two episodes in and hoping to catch up by the end of next week. I've never seen this before (but am spoiled as to some of the plot and most of the ending), so here are some first impressions:
  • The preview is promising fan service? Ugh.

i don't want to get too far ahead of this thread but misato's promise of "service service" is related to the gainax studio history (i.e. it being a studio by/for otaku) and feeds directly into the metatext that the show develops as it progresses.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Yeah you don't have to know about Gainax and Hideaki Anno's life or otaku culture in general to appreciate Eva, not by a long shot, but there is a lot of fascinating stuff to find if you approach it from that angle.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

So, better translation: Angel or Apostle? Gainax wanted Angel, but was that the right call? I could see a good argument for Apostle, even though Angel is the more sensible call.

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 4, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Angel by a mile.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

This gets posted a lot and maybe has been posted already! but it's good and should be watched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh0qbJAQhgk

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

a kitten posted:

Angel by a mile.

Same, tho I'm so used to that as a translation that anything else would feel weird.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Angel is probably more lyrical, and might even be closer to the intended meaning: the main thing I can see going for Apostle is that it's accurate if interpreted as "messenger from God," but then Angel probably has that association with English speakers wheras Apostle is going to conjure up the literal Jesus apostles which would probably lead the viewer to assume it's meant as just another piece of the mystical judeo-christian trappings.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
angel makes way more sense because everyone knows what an angel is while not everyone knows what an apostle is

also it works on two levels because while they aren't fitting with the pop culture image of angels (and thus they're weird and offputting) they actually pretty closely follow how angels are described in the old testament (IE fuckin terrifying) so you have two completely valid reasons to intellectually masturbate over how deep and against the grain the bad guys in this show are

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The Shito are also given actual angel names, so I don't see why you'd go with anything else.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

darealkooky posted:

angel makes way more sense because everyone knows what an angel is while not everyone knows what an apostle is

while the rest of your argument is good, a lot of the language of nge, from the title to basically everything that serves a function, is pretty obscure and remains so for most if not all of the show. they could have done the same thing with the angels, but instead it seems like they wanted to give the audience a relatively clear notion of who they are and where they might've come from, which is interesting (and I agree the correct decision)

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Zas posted:

Yeah you don't have to know about Gainax and Hideaki Anno's life or otaku culture in general to appreciate Eva, not by a long shot, but there is a lot of fascinating stuff to find if you approach it from that angle.

for first timers i think understanding it as entertainment first and foremost is especially important. then after you've seen it two or three times you can dive into everything else and become an insane person like me.

(i think that surface level readings and even subtextual readings of it can sometimes miss the forest for the trees. and i do think that anno can (and should) be viewed as an auteur. like that picture on the first few pages of shinji's character design being derived from nadia? and knowing that shinji is voiced by megumi ogata? i think those details add a whole new mess of meaning to the bigger picture of a show that's already a concept bomb. in recent years of viewing what's become even more interesting to me than the narrative is the meta/inter/paratextual stuff that goes along with it, and it being afforded its status. like gainax accountants committing tax fraud is legitimately interesting to me. and in terms of influence i wouldn't hesitate to place it culturally in the same breath as, say, twin peaks or the sopranos, to use western examples.)

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

:psyduck:

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

It's a great cut except for the bounciness at the end. Looks really goofy lol

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

It's a great cut except for the bounciness at the end. Looks really goofy lol

haha welcome to the 90s

I love the campiness of a lot of the cost cutting techniques, but in these early episodes they are definitely campy. as we move on though...

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

one of my favorite animation details is the way the arms of the cross are like a second beam and they look like they struggle for just a second to break through the main beam:

the compression murdered it tho. oh well.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

the cross is a symbol of death, but also rebirth, as the fluid dynamics remind us (also angel cum [love is destructive])

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Radio Spiricom posted:

i think my only advice for first timers would be to go with the flow and try not to take too much of a left brained approach to it lest you fall down a rabbit hole.

this is good advice, and for people who have seen the show more times than they can count, it can also be good every now and then to just try to forget everything they know and watch it in as much of a purely aesthetic/emotional way as possible, because that's the show's real heart imo

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

"This is a Japanese cartoon that is very difficult to describe and might not sound that great if I tried anyway. It is 24 episode*, and we watched them all in less than a week because you start to want to believe it's real. This could spawn something like Scientology."
-Wes Anderson, on why Eva is one of his 'desert island' picks

*[I think he was just confused about it being 24 episodes because he has definitely seen 25, 26 and end of eva, based on other things I've read]

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 4, 2016

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5FmFaK7pMU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Robin Williams was super big into this show. That may or may not be one of his toys that they used for that scene.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Dangerous Person posted:

Robin Williams was super big into this show. That may or may not be one of his toys that they used for that scene.

The sad clown who killed himself was super into anime show about depression. Brutal.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Caught up until the end of 6.
  • Episode 6 is my favorite so far. Tension, people finding novel solutions to difficult problems, and sacrifice. Good stuff.
  • That d8 is pretty badass.
  • The opening credits song has really grown on me. I doubt I'll skip it.
  • Maybe this gets explained later, but how does this electrical umbilical cord stuff work? That seems like a terrible handicap. And why are the Angels only attacking Tokyo 3? They could wreck all sorts of poo poo elsewhere.
  • It's a minor thing but I wish the previews avoided even the obvious spoilers they dole out.
  • Not sure what to think about Rei. She seems cold and robotic so probably even had a worse upbringing than Shinji.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Agronox posted:

[*]Maybe this gets explained later, but how does this electrical umbilical cord stuff work? That seems like a terrible handicap. And why are the Angels only attacking Tokyo 3? They could wreck all sorts of poo poo elsewhere.

It's a giant machine that takes a lot of power to run.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Agronox posted:

And why are the Angels only attacking Tokyo 3? They could wreck all sorts of poo poo elsewhere.

It'll get explained later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

hi i'm dumb and just realized how much ep 6 is styled after old newsreels. even the name of the ep :eng99:

• Locked thread