Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Let's all cut the act, we're in the anime forum, we talk about anime about 90% of the time, I'm listing Toonami first. ANYWAY you can still feel free to post poo poo about other Adult Swim shows since no one in TVIV has started a new Adult Swim thread.

Oh by the way ADTRW regulars please don't post spoilers for shows just in case we have people going in blind watching these shows. Well, unless you want to spoil one of the never-ending shonen shows like Naruto, 'cause no one gives a poo poo. Also everyone and their grandma has seen DBZ.

Toonami is an action block that ran on Cartoon Network from '97 until '08. They showed a whole bunch of anime (and stuff like Batman: TAS but most people just remember the anime) and are most notable for basically bringing Dragonball Z to the US (for better or for worse). AS brought it back for their April Fools prank in 2012 and people lost their poo poo in a fit of nostalgia so now its back for good and has supplanted the AS Anime block.

Currently airing:

12:00 - Dragon Ball Z Kai
like dis if u are a 90s kid

Look we all know what Dragon Ball Z is, let's not bullshit around. You've seen at least an episode or two, don't loving lie.

I should explain that the "Kai" is there because the animation has been remastered for HDTV (however, it has not been redone entirely, meaning that it is still the old footage in 4:3 aspect ratio, meaning that when this airs you will see annoying black bars on the side of your screen, but don't adjust your TV, it'll just make Goku stretchy (his lamest technique)). The voice acting has also been redone entirely, and the soundtrack has been replaced with the original Japanese one. Those of you who grew up watching the dubbed version in the old days with the replaced score by Bruce Faulconer may now feel free to get into heated comment wars about which music score is superior. Finally, the "Kai" is there because it's supposed to cut a ton of filler. None of that "whole episode worth of charging an attack" poo poo. Kai's all killer, no filler, baby. Unfortunately that means the episode where Goku and Piccolo drive cars is gone and thus the whole thing is HORSESHIT.

I was gonna look for more funny gifs but look, I think I know what everybody wants when we're discussing DBZ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH_CcJ-uBWI

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Premiering in October! VERY NICE-U CAESAR-CHAN

The plot of Jojo's is way too long and convoluted to boil down into one paragraph but suffice it to say it involves following a family on bizarre adventures, and then the story ends and a new chapter starts down the line with a new protagonist of the same bloodline. Some of them have imaginary friends with amazing powers. The series has finally been dubbed and released in the U.S. of A after years of people thinking it would be an impossibility (due to characters and stands just straight up having band names that might cause licensing issues). And apparently the dub's pretty good, an even bigger shocker! Too bad we'll lose quality Engrish like this though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWreHiN_E-Q

Oh and here's a promo featuring everyone's favorite ED theme/internet meme, Roundabout :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEWaEH-7TdI

1:00 - Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
The fat guy is named Biscuit

quote:

The year is Post Disaster 323. More than 300 years after a great war between Earth and Outer colonies known as the "Calamity War", Mars has been successfully terraformed and colonized by humans. However even with the technological advancements, the humans on Mars crave freedom against the government of Earth and seek to improve their livelihoods. Furthermore, while most of Mars' nations have received autonomy, the planet is virtually dependent on Earth for economic development with many living in impoverished conditions. A young orphan named Mikazuki Augus is part of a group of children who work for the civilian security company Chryse Guard Security (CGS), entrusted with the safety of the Martian Princess Kudelia Aina Bernstein, who has plans for her nation of Chryse to secure independence from Earth. One day, the group was attacked by the Earth Military organization Gjallarhorn, which aims to stop the Martian independence movement. During the attack, the leader of the children and the Third Army Division within CGS, Orga Itsuka, decides to rebel against the adults and higher-ups who had escaped and left the children and foot-soldiers to remain and fight as decoys. As all hope seems lost, Mika enters the battle, piloting a hastily repaired mobile suit: the legendary Gundam Barbatos.

So standard Gundam stuff: war is bad, yet robot fights are good, and people have ridiculous names (I repeat, the fat guy is named Biscuit), you know, the usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP9PASx3bgA

Fun fact: that promo was intentionally designed to mirror the Gundam Wing promo from back in the day. Ah, nostalgia :allears:

1:30 - Hunter X Hunter
The x is silent

Hunter X Hunter is a show about a kid named Gon who wants to find his dad after finding out said dad isn't as dead as he was led to believe. Pops was a Hunter, so Gon figures that's how he'll get a lead on him. But being a hunter entails doing all sorts of ridiculous poo poo like hunting crazy animals or assassins or whatever. It's written by the guy who created Yu Yu Hakusho, which was one of the first shows on Adult Swim oh so many years ago, so perhaps airing on Toonami was Hunter X Hunter's destiny. Anyway, here's the contractually required toonami promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGgSyiWcwhk

And here is the ADTRW thread for it which I recommend reading the OP of because it's very funny.

2:00 - Naruto Shippuden
Taking the stealth out of ninjas since 2002

Naruto is a ninja kid from the Hidden Leaf Village who wants to be the very best, like no one ever was. Unfortunately he's got a demon locked up inside him and it seems like a bunch of evil guys want to capture it (and use it for nefarious purposes). Here's where the recap ends because Shippuden starts after a timeskip and Naruto (the original) is like 400 episodes long and I'm not reading the entire Naruto wiki to write a synopsis. Because god knows Shippuden sure doesn't waste any time explaining who old characters are, it just launches right ahead...

After Bleach finally died off, Naruto took the title belt of "slowest moving program on the block" which is frankly remarkable since Naruto is just goddamn glacial (seriously how do you hit a filler arc only 2 arcs in to your story jfc).

2:30 - One Piece
Yo ho ho he took a bite of gum gum

A show about pirates. But they're the protagonists so they're heroic. They fight bad pirates. Also the government (who are bad). Cast includes a reindeer who is a doctor, a man who can talk with a sword in his mouth, a cyborg shipwright, and their captain, a man made of rubber. Actually, you know what, if you need a summary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSe8D2wfGKI
This is not the actual intro but there is never a bad reason to link the pirate rap

One Piece apparently just started off a big filler arc though so now it's time to see if it can outpace Naruto in a hot low-speed chase.

3:00 Rerun Death Slot - One Punch Man
okay.jpg

So have you ever seen that clip from the end of Justice League where Superman talks about living in a world of cardboard? Imagine if Superman were even stronger and didn't give a gently caress. One Punch Man is a phenomenon that grew from a webcomic with lovely art to a professionally drawn manga to getting a full anime last year. It's about Saitama, a guy who's a superhero for fun, and his day to day life facing threats that would be the final battle in any other anime... and also getting excited about making it to the supermarket when they have good deals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x8mH9ojJiM

What's coming this year?

FLCL... season 2? wait what? - coming late 2017 or early 2018
ENGAGE MANGA MODE

FLCL, also known as Fooly Cooly, is a super-weird show about robots, aliens, guitars, vespa motor-scooters, and growing up. Created in 2000, the plot centers around Naota, a young boy stuck in his podunk town who laments that his life is loving boring since his big brother left to go play professional baseball in America :911:. Enter Haruko, a pink-haired manic pixie dream girl who runs over him then hits him on the head with a drat guitar, and turns his life upside down as his head starts sprouting robots and there's all sorts of alien poo poo.

...it's a weird show. It's one of those shows that you either really like or you just don't get, and that's okay.

But wait what's this? Season 2?
"But TwoPair!", you say, "FLCL is but a 6-episode long one-season show!" and you would have been right... until a few months ago. However Toonami is shelling out the dough to coproduce two additional 6-episode seasons with Production I.G.

A prepackaged press blurb posted:

In the new season of FLCL, many years have passed since Naota and Haruhara Haruko shared their adventure together. Meanwhile, the war between the two entities known as Medical Mechanica and Fraternity rages across the galaxy. Enter Hidomi, a young teenaged girl who believes there is nothing amazing to expect from her average life, until one day when a new teacher named Haruko arrives at her school. Soon enough, Medical Mechanica is attacking her town and Hidomi discovers a secret within her that could save everyone, a secret that only Haruko can unlock.

Reactions are... mixed... ranging from "Wow I'm so excited" to "FLCL was lightning in a bottle and this will be loving garbage" to "I really wish Toonami would've spent that money on Big O season 3" (okay that last opinion was just me) But hey we got a whole year at least to wait this out so if you're mad about it, don't worry, I'm sure you'll have forgotten by the time the thing actually comes out.

Vague rear end Production I.G. project
https://www.twitter.com/ToonamiNews/status/749084027122962433
Yes that's all that's been announced as of now.

And lastly:

LONG AGO IN A DISTANT LAND, CARTOON NETWORK, THE SCHEDULE-SHIFTING MASTERS OF CARTOONS, UNLEASHED A UNSPEAKABLY GOOD CARTOON SHOW. BUT A FOOOOLISH NETWORK EXECUTIVE WIELDING A CANCELLATION NOTICE STEPPED FORTH TO OPPOSE IT. IT WAS loving CANCELLED. BEFORE THE FINAL BLOW WAS STRUCK, GENNDY TARTAKOVSKY TORE OPEN A PORTAL IN TIME, AND FLUNG MORE EPISODES INTO THE FUTURE, WHERE ANIME IS LAW. NOW TOONAMI SEEKS TO AIR THE EPISODES AND UNDO THE PAST THAT ARE WHINY MESSAGE BOARD POSTS.

Okay now that I'm done with that gag, Samurai Jack was a cartoon on Cartoon Network that ran from '01 to '04. It was pretty great, mixing great action with humor and being stylish as poo poo. I mean, it won an Emmy. ...It still got canned, though. But through some dark magic now it's back 12 years later. Hopefully it'll still be cool. If you've never seen the old episodes they're all on Hulu and maybe if Cartoon Network gets their poo poo together they'll put them up streaming on their site. No one knows when it'll be airing. Current theory: the next show on the block to end is Champloo, maybe then?

UPDATE (7/2):

Apparently Genndy Tartakovsky did some interview where he revealed a bunch of facts like the fact that the season will be 10 episodes long and it will be a definitive conclusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT6yhhfiUh8

ALSO

Every Saturday night while the more boring shonen shows are on TV, Waffleman or Baal or I dunno who's running it these days is building you a better cartoon show. They it Goonami what nerds amirite. They just post poo poo on Fri/Sat night when they're gonna stream poo poo on Synchtube and you can watch.

MEANWHILE EVERY OTHER DAY OF THE WEEK...

Adult Swim is a block on Cartoon Network that's been running strong now since 2001. It's their late-night offering for grown-ups such as ourselves. This high class stuff includes a show where a guy hosts a parody talk show and pukes on himself and a bunch of Family Guy reruns.

What's on right now?

The Eric Andre Show

Eric Andre is back for the best late night show on television. That's all the summary you loving need, Eric Andre rules, watch this show you cretins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5uLc0N4r2U

Squidbillies
Sundays at 11:30!

Squidbillies is basically Aqua Teen Hunger Force with redneck jokes. It's very funny, but if you don't like ATHF'sstyle of low budget, barely-animated comedy well then you won't like this.

Brad Neely's Harg Nallin' Sclopio Peepio
Sundays at 11:45!

From Brad Neely (obviously), creator of China, IL, BNHNSP basically looks to be Neely's own Robot Chicken, just a bunch of weird sketches with his sense of humor with no real narrative to hold him back like China, IL did. Also it has the weirdest/dumbest name ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAXK_vC9h5s

Decker: Unclassified
Fridays at Midnight!

Looks to be a big parody of action movies by Tim Heidecker. It's a spinoff of a web show he's been doing on AS's website for a while now. I'm not a fan of Tim (and/or Eric) but hey, maybe you are, and that's okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XELKAaCerps

Check It Out With Dr. Steve Brule
Fridays at 12:15!

I guess if you like them or have a slavish devotion to John C. Reilly then you're in luck. You know what, I lied, I do like something Tim & Eric have done because in the middle of writing this I remembered Paul Rudd At His Computer exists and I'm just gonna post that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maAFcEU6atk

What's coming this year?

:siren:A BUNCH OF NEW PILOTS:siren:
In addition to these shows, Adult Swim recently announced a shitload of new pilots! No news about when they'll air, but you can read some press summaries here!

Other Returning Programs

(None of the following have set return dates but they've all been greenlit for new seasons so expect them in the vague future)

The Jack and Triumph Show

Anybody remember Triumph the Insult Comic Dog? It was a skit back on Late Night with Conan O'Brien. Triumph is just a hand puppet with a cigar but is voiced by veteran SNL writer Robert Smigel and he'd go places and, well, insult people. Hilarity ensued, like this clip where he insults nerds waiting in line for Star Wars Episode II. Triumph has shown up less and less in recent years but now they're doing a show essentially starring him along with Jack McBrayer (of 30 Rock fame).

It's a mix of scripted stuff and improv (of course). The narrative gimmick is that McBrayer is a former child star who used to be on a Lassie-like TV show with Triumph, and Triumph basically ruined his life. Now years later Triumph comes back into Jack's life as he's finally pulled it together. Here's a clip where you can see how they kind of blend the scripted stuff with the classic insult bits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuVgR_7DiSE

Rick and Morty

Rick and Morty is basically what would happen if Doc Brown was even smarter, but a raging alcoholic and Marty McFly was his stupid grandson instead of a cool 80s kid. Has its own dedicated thread here. Surprising no one, the show got renewed for a third season, because it loving rules. Watch the show if you haven't already, you're really missing out. rick and morty a hundred years dot com.

Robot Chicken

Do I really need to explain loving Robot Chicken? It's Family Guy cutaways with action figures. Much like Family Guy cutaways occasionally one will be real funny but most of the time they're just trying too hard and you're better off watching something else. It's been renewed because of course it has. I mean, it's probably AS's most successful original show, why wouldn't they?

The Venture Brothers

Well it happened. Season six finally happened. Season seven hasn't been announced but we all know it's happening. Welp, see you all in 10 years! Has its own thread here (link may be/probably is defunct but gently caress you I'm not gonna go to TVIV and find the new VB thread to link it here).

There's also reruns of Family Guy, American Dad, Bob's Burgers, King of the Hill, and (for now) the Cleveland Show. They'll be there until the heat death of the universe, or until Fox decides to stop letting AS re-air them, whichever comes first. All of those shows have their own threads and aren't AS's so I'm not really gonna bother going into detail about them. Go nuts, kids!

oh and SAO 3 is totally gonna simuldub here you heard it here first.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Good OP

Have Some fanart

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Julias posted:

Good OP

Have Some fanart

greetings

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

But seriously, does Steve Aoki throw cakes at people in real life?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Hello please sign this petition to get Hunter x Hunter added to the Toonami late night lineup, thank you.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bad Seafood posted:

Hello please sign this petition to get Hunter x Hunter added to the Toonami late night lineup, thank you.
I signed your petition months ago, it was just concealed using Nen, check again

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Childhood me is so ready for more samurai jack.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

You posted the 4kids pirate rap, but not the German Naruto opening?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8xoTBZrzko

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Bad Seafood posted:

Uh, links, please?!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Uh, links, please?!

You must not know how to use Gyo.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

wait so they didn't actually get a new replacement for M&H?

lol

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I don't get Toonami here but Samurai Champloo is fantastic and Parasyte is really good from what I've seen so far. So uh... watch those shows if you haven't already.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You don't get the point of this thread littleorv, everyone watches every show whether they like it or not and then complains about it here

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

You don't get the point of this thread littleorv, everyone watches every show whether they like it or not and then complains about it here

AIDS

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Can we get the lame as heck TV/IV thread outta here?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Samurai Champloo owns but it's just nice to get new shows, generally.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

I'm sorry orv, but you missed the AIDS boat when SAO II ended a while back.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh Snapple! posted:

wait so they didn't actually get a new replacement for M&H?

lol

They wanted to get Lupin III: The Woman Named Fujiko Mine, but they'd have had to edit it too much. Guessing Champloo was a last minute thing seeing as how Funi has the license now.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I want SAO III to end with AIDS.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I want SAO III to end with AIDS.

Sword AIDS Online

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

It's up to dr.kirito to cure AIDS.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Anime is bad

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

Can we get the lame as heck TV/IV thread outta here?

Please don't refer to yourself as a thread, you are more like hemp

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Sakurazuka posted:

I go and do something else when the shows I don't like come on :colbert:

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Dangerous Person posted:

I go and do something else when the shows I don't like come on :colbert:

well aren't YOU just a shining loving example of well-adjustedness and poo poo

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I play video games for most of Toonami :smith:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Goonami is the official unofficial Toonami preshow, beginning broadcast of random Youtube videos every Saturday at 8, with the main feature usually airing at 11. We used to air on Synchtube, but in 2016, I'm going to try Taima since it works with Ustream. The show will be broadcast here. Taima goes down a lot, so Synchtube it is.

But what will we be watching in 2016?

Fate/Zero

Once every sixty years in the town of Fuyuki, a ritual known as the Holy Grail War is held. Seven mages summon the spirits of seven legendary heroes as Servants to do battle, with the last team standing being granted any wish their heart desires. Kiritsugu Emiya has entered this incarnation of the war with the Servant Saber and unconventional tactics.

We know the story ends in tears, but how does it get there?

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 30, 2016

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Baal posted:

Please don't refer to yourself as a thread, you are more like hemp

Go back to Games!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Go back to Hell

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The last time I went back to games, I nearly got shot by Ben Diskin.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Waffleman I know what your av is from now and Ida is good

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Please don't watch One Piece

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Pavlov posted:

Childhood me is so ready for more samurai jack.

I was like 20 when I discovered Samurai Jack and I am just as excited. As a movie, history and general sci-fi/fantasy nerd it got me geek-wet. Almost every episode of that show had a specific cinematic style or mood it went for and usually nailed it. If I ever end up teaching I will use Samurai Jack as an example of a show that takes inspiration from everything from Ingmar Bergman to Buster Keaton. It's pretty legit when it comes to it's tradecraft.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

TwoPair posted:

1:30 - Samurai Champloo
See you, space cowboy rap samurai

It's real neat and you'll enjoy it if you haven't seen it before! ...however Adult Swim aired it several years ago so the list of people who haven't seen it is pretty loving short at this point.
I am somehow on the very small list of people who have not seen Samurai Champloo before, so I'm very much looking forward to it.

Unrelated, anyone know what's up with Cartoon Network's/Adult Swim's new weirdness with aspect ratios? Used to be that 4:3 stuff was stretched out unless it was done correctly like DBZ Kai, but now it's like the SD feed is screwed up the other direction and stuff is squashed vertically.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

Please don't watch One Piece

If you want to watch One Piece, read the manga as well and just tune in to see the ending of Thriller Bark animated.

poo poo's good.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I know it will be a while but I just got into My Hero Academia and now that it's getting an anime I hope in the distant future a dub of it will show on Toonami. It's right up their alley and the manga is so good, IMO.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Wow, I can't believe Jack is Back. If it can kick half as much rear end as it used to it should be a fun time.

Looking forward to Tiger & Bunny, got to see crimes put on hold and rad team-up kicks.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

If you want to watch One Piece, read the manga as well and just tune in to see the ending of Thriller Bark animated.

poo poo's good.
This is what I did in order to catch up on the series before it started airing on Toonami, except I read the manga and watched the anime for the end-of-arc fights and any other particular moments I thought would be cool when animated. Like pretty much all of Logue Town that wasn't filler, for instance.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SgtSteel91 posted:

I know it will be a while but I just got into My Hero Academia and now that it's getting an anime I hope in the distant future a dub of it will show on Toonami. It's right up their alley and the manga is so good, IMO.

It's really cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Wrong thread, I'm a dummy. Still looking forward to Jack!

• Locked thread