Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoebZZ8K5N0

The newest film from Alejandro G. Iñárritu, director of the "Death Trilogy" (Amores perros (2000), 21 Grams (2003), and Babel (2006)), Biutiful (2010), and Birdman (2014). He's working with Emmanuel Lubezki as his cinematographer again, as he did on Birdman. The film stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hardy, Will Poulter, and Domhnall Gleeson. DiCaprio plays a frontiersman and fur trapper set out on a path of vengeance against those who left him for dead, based in part on the 2002 novel The Revenant: A Novel of Revenge. Reviews describe it as bleak and beautiful, but frequently express reservations as to the ultimate depth of its story.

The movie received a December 25, 2015 limited release to place it in the 2015 awards season. It will expand to wide release on January 8, 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I really didn't feel like it was that bleak, at least not in comparison to The Grey (which I've noticed it getting compared to). The only thing they really have in common is snow.

After reading about the book I really wish they would've just done a straight-forward adaptation, which has a lot more to say imo about life and the human condition than the movie we got. But it's still a gorgeously shot film and it's worth seeing for the bear scene alone.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Well, Lil Mama, I'm sorry, but I'm just reporting what the reviews I've seen say. I appreciate your direct impression, though.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 29, 2015

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I hope they have a pretty in depth "Making of" on the blu ray when it comes out. The conditions the crew had to endure sounds insane.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

keyframe posted:

I hope they have a pretty in depth "Making of" on the blu ray when it comes out. The conditions the crew had to endure sounds insane.

I would love a Hearts of Darkness-style documentary about this movie.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

Well, Lil Mama, I'm sorry, but I'm just reporting what the reviews I've seen say. I appreciate your direct impression, though.

I didn't mean to direct my post at you if that's how it came off, dear Sir, Kodiak. It's not that the movie isn't bleak necessarily, it's moreso to me that that time period and geography were bleak in general, but the themes and plot line of the movie didn't come off as bleak to me as something like The Grey. If this makes any sense?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I will be posting a review of this once it is in wide release (because I am too lazy to write several pages now), but people should watch this film on the big screen. The DiCaprio hype is just that, but the film is aesthetically worth any film buff's time. Hardy delivers a wonderfully self-conscious performance, which is the norm for him. The camera movement calls attention to itself far too much for my liking; when it does stop spinning in 360 degrees long enough to let you dwell on the beautiful landscape, it rivals Lawrence of Arabia in terms of breathtaking beauty.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I didn't mean to direct my post at you if that's how it came off, dear Sir, Kodiak. It's not that the movie isn't bleak necessarily, it's moreso to me that that time period and geography were bleak in general, but the themes and plot line of the movie didn't come off as bleak to me as something like The Grey. If this makes any sense?

I mainly just wanted to make my bad pun, to which I'm delighted you reciprocated :) And, yes, that makes perfect sense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Will this get Leo his drat Oscar?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Has Leo ever deserved an Oscar?

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

Rhyno posted:

He doesn't even give the best performance of the movie.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Jeep posted:

He doesn't even give the best performance of the movie.
Sadly, bears aren't eligible.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

iSheep posted:

The Aviator, Wolf of Wall Street, maybe Blood Diamond

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Pet Rock Band posted:

The Aviator, Wolf of Wall Street, maybe Blood Diamond
Here's Leo as Howard Hughes, here's Leo as a skeevy stock broker, here's Leo as a South African smuggler etc. He has no range at all and is basically a blank slate, but bless him he tries so hard. Coupling him with someone like Hardy is just going to emphasize how much range Hardy has compared to DiCaprio's utter lack of it. That said, this movie looks sweet as gently caress and the poster is gorgeous. They released the score digitally a couple of days ago and it's pretty atmospheric if a bit lacking on its own, I'm sure it'll work great with the movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rhyno posted:

Tom Hardy was better than Leo in this. I'd say Gleeson was too. As for the film itself, it's very pretty but I didn't really enjoy it.

teagone fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 29, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Stare-Out posted:

Coupling him with someone like Hardy is just going to emphasize how much range Hardy has compared to DiCaprio's utter lack of it.
Yeah, when I heard the two of them were starring in a Hugh Glass movie I really hoped the casting would be the other way around.

Also I know I've plugged this somewhere else before but listen to the Dollop's episode on Hugh Glass. I've only seen the 70s movie, which pales in comparison to the real story.
http://thedollop.libsyn.com/dollop-x-hugh-glass

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 29, 2015

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Is it true that Leo DiCaprio gets raped by a bear in this motion picture?

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Astrochicken posted:

Is it true that Leo DiCaprio gets raped by a bear in this motion picture?

If you wander around the wilderness dressed like Leo was, you're kind of asking for it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I thought this movie was pretty mediocre. It felt like it was the fourth movie in the Mel Gibson "you killed my family" revenge trilogy of Braveheart, The Patriot, and Apocalypto, except it took itself way too seriously. I would have never expected to say this going in, but I actually liked all 3 of those movies more than this.

There were major problems with almost every aspect of the film. The movie was way too long for how shallow the story was, and included a bunch of pointless side plots that could have easily been excised (Leo's entire background was told with the first flashback, yet we got 3-4 more that added nothing of value. The entire subplot about the kidnapped Native American girl didn't need to be there). The length was very noticeable, because large portions of the movie dragged-- I felt myself wanting to check how long was left multiple times.

The characters were shallow and boring, although the performances were fine. The absence of any intentional humor kind of led to some scenes being inadvertently funny, especially Tom Hardys dialogue near the end.

The movie was pretty, but I didn't feel it was any prettier than other well shot movies taking place in the wilderness. I saw Hateful 8 earlier in the day, and some of the outdoor shots in that were just as nice looking. For all the sacrifices they made regarding filming with natural light, I don't think the payoff was obvious at all.

One final criticism might be less fair, but it still exists. Every good scene in this movie was in the trailer. They revealed way too much. I can only think of one major scene (the final knife fight) that was not shown.

I was really looking forward to this movie, and it was a major disappointment.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

This is one of those movies that win like 7 oscars while not even getting nominated for best picture. Like I wouldn't be surprised if this wins director/supporting/cinematography + all the other production ones.

But the sum of the parts...

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Megasabin posted:

The absence of any intentional humor kind of led to some scenes being inadvertently funny.

I got a good chuckle out of Leo cutting off Hardy's fingers with his ax at the beginning of the final fight.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

iSheep posted:

Gilbert Grape or Basketball Diaries.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Honorable mention: This Boy's Life

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Honorable mention: This Boy's Life

Stellar performance, I would definitely give you that one.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

centaurtainment posted:

I got a good chuckle out of Leo cutting off Hardy's fingers with his ax at the beginning of the final fight.

Yes this was one part. Two others were his horse falling off the edge of the cliff, cause it was just like cm'on man this guy is having the worst day, and when he sitting with the bear hat on his head staring at the other dude.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I really want to see it but the comparisons to The Grey worry me because The Grey was poopie imo

Lemon
May 22, 2003

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I really want to see it but the comparisons to The Grey worry me because The Grey was poopie imo

They're not all that similar.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Gilbert Grape or Basketball Diaries.

When playing a retard is the highlight of your career...

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

I really didn't feel like it was that bleak, at least not in comparison to The Grey (which I've noticed it getting compared to). The only thing they really have in common is snow.

After reading about the book I really wish they would've just done a straight-forward adaptation, which has a lot more to say imo about life and the human condition than the movie we got. But it's still a gorgeously shot film and it's worth seeing for the bear scene alone.

Lil Mama I'm Sorry I never meant to ball like this

s7indicate3
Aug 22, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I liked this movie up until the incredibly contrived Vader vs Skywalker ol' timey light saber fight at the end. I mean I get it, the characters are foils and making them fight is like smacking your GI Joe's against your Cobra command figures, it feels natural but it's totally predictable (good triumphs) . Oh, also I really got a kick out of the director breaking the fourth wall a bunch, but if only b/c I really liked Birdman :3

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
I actually found the movie to be really boring. I like Leo quite a bit but I don't get the Oscar talk for this movie. Tom Hardy's performance was way more compelling than Leo's. The whole first act he's injured, the whole second act he's alone crawling around grimacing a lot, and the third act he's just.. plain.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I enjoyed this movie but wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be. The first trailer sure set up some crazy expectations for me, that was a drat fine trailer.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

The Grey is cripplingly bleak and made me think about the idea of death for days afterwards, I loved it but will never see it again. Much deeper than The Revenant, which is just a manly revenge movie.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The Grey is bleak but not cripplingly bleak. That title belongs to The Road.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Inarritu continues to make films which are incredibly well-done but lacking any sort of real meaning or nuance.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
The parts before the bear attack and the battle scenes in general kind of feel like Inarritu's audition for a Blood Meridian movie.

I liked it. Not as much as Birdman but it's good. Still want the version of this with Hardy as Hugh Glass.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Stare-Out posted:

Here's Leo as Howard Hughes, here's Leo as a skeevy stock broker, here's Leo as a South African smuggler etc. He has no range at all and is basically a blank slate, but bless him he tries so hard. Coupling him with someone like Hardy is just going to emphasize how much range Hardy has compared to DiCaprio's utter lack of it. That said, this movie looks sweet as gently caress and the poster is gorgeous. They released the score digitally a couple of days ago and it's pretty atmospheric if a bit lacking on its own, I'm sure it'll work great with the movie.

I agree with this post. I do not understand the internet circlejerk for Leo to get "His Oscar".

And also want to add an interview on NPR I listened to that the composer , Ryuichi Sakamoto, had throat cancer that he has beat. But the music is a reflection of how the cancer took the life out of him, as he used to work looooong days and now he is reduced down to 8 hour stints before he has to stop from exhaustion.

quote:

"I was very close to death, you know — the closest moment to death in my life," he says. "The pace of that music, the theme, is based on my breath: heavy and long, and maybe a little bit sad. That's the meaning of The Revenant: It's a return from death."

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/22/460711062/in-the-revenant-a-return-from-deaths-door-onscreen-and-off

I thought it was interesting.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Wolf of Wallstreet was his best performance and it showed how good of physical comedy he could do. So yeah for that he should have gotten it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Someone in some thread here pointed out that every time Leo has a good year, everyone else has a great one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I felt like Leo's performance in Revolutionary Road was pretty Oscar-worthy. Coming from a home myself where parents loved each other to death one day and then fought to the death the next, he and Kate Winslet did a very good job capturing that bi-polar intensity.

Other than that, I find it surprising that Leo has any real detractors considering the performances he gave in Wolf, Gilbert Grape, Blood Diamond and Django. The guy has depth, he may not be the best of the best but he puts 110% into everything he does.

• Locked thread