Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The bear attack was the best animal CGI I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Ehud posted:

:stare: I felt like the bear scene was one of the greatest technical achievements I've ever seen in a movie.

That's what my friends who saw it with me said. I don't know, it looked horrible to me and it took me right out of the movie. I got the vibe from the movie that it was gonna be very low tech as far as effects go considering he only used natural daylight, and then boom cgi bear, ruined the whole movie for me tbh.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Should've used a real bear I guess.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

caiman posted:

yea that would've been awesome

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

caiman posted:

Christian Bale would've fought a real bear, what the gently caress Leo?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

There were a couple of moments when I found the CGI bear looking like a CGI bear but I think it's only because I was really scrutinizing it in the same way I scrutinize anything I know to be CG. Overall and for the effect it was meant to create it worked fantastically well, I thought, and felt like a real bear enough for me to remain immersed in the movie.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

There were a couple of moments when I found the CGI bear looking like a CGI bear but I think it's only because I was really scrutinizing it in the same way I scrutinize anything I know to be CG. Overall and for the effect it was meant to create it worked fantastically well, I thought, and felt like a real bear enough for me to remain immersed in the movie.

I dunno, I thought Sicario sucked too. Mad Max and Star Wars were the only movies I liked this year. Maybe I am just getting jaded.

edit: I liked Hateful Eight too...

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Dubplate Fire posted:

I dunno, I thought Sicario sucked too. Mad Max and Star Wars were the only movies I liked this year. Maybe I am just getting jaded.

edit: I liked Hateful Eight too...
You're not jaded necessarily, liking things other people don't like and vice versa is all well and fine. :hfive:

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
The bear was great. It was unbelievable.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

Judakel posted:

The bear was great. It was unbelievable.

I think I have eye problems.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

caiman posted:

The bear attack was the best animal CGI I've ever seen.

Either the bear or Richard Parker, the tiger from Life of Pi

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ehud posted:

Or the apes in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ehud posted:

That still looks pretty drat real, but I think in case of the bear in The Revenant it was the single most stand-out piece of digital special effects in the entire movie so it stood out the most. The Life of Pi tiger you got used to pretty quickly and it was on screen for most of the movie too. Overall I think the Revenant bear looks about as real as they could've possibly made it and it still looks drat good.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The bear scene was awesome. The only way I could see it "looking bad," was if it was seen on a monitor from a rip or something.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Or the apes in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

The apes don't even look good as far as blending into their surroundings and stuff - it's just the mocap "acting" is so good that no one cares.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I honestly wondered if maybe it was a real bear despite knowing it was not. That is how good that loving bear was.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Having spent time with an actual bear and seen actual bear attacks, that bear was dead on. Seeing it do that weird two-paw pounce on Leo was a creepily accurate detail. That whole scene ruled.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

Darko posted:

The bear scene was awesome. The only way I could see it "looking bad," was if it was seen on a monitor from a rip or something.

It was the mouth...

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
I watched Grizzly Man the day before this movie and during the bear attack all I could think about was Timothy Treadwell lisping "gently caress!" over and over.

Seasonal Candles
Aug 5, 2015

Metaprocesses bloom like cancer, and awaken, and call themselves I
Upon seeing it again I think I agree with that one review that says it reaches it's point around what used to be called the end of the first reel. And the rest is just a plateau

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Loved the bear scene. The bison CGI was noticeably bad though. I loved this movie but I completely agree that Leo shouldn't even be nominated for best actor. I hope during his nomination highlight reel it's just him with his tongue sticking out trying to catch snowflakes and then a minute montage of his unconscious body being dragged around by people in different sequences.

E: Tom Hardy was a motherfucker though.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 9, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Saw it tonight, one hell of visual and audio experience, even though I felt the whole plot wandered all over the place.

Also reminded of some of the older Kubrick films for how most of the movie was filmed using natural lighting.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I thought that for how incredibly long it was they could have shown more of the backstory

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

actionjackson posted:

I thought that for how incredibly long it was they could have shown more of the backstory

The backstory of what?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The backstory of what?

The parts about his life before with his wife

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Much like Birdman I absolutely loved the first 2/3rds or so and felt it dropped off in quality after that. It felt far too long. Interesting contrast to Hateful 8 where I didn't feel the length at all.

It's one of the most well shot movies I've ever watched though. And Tom Hardy continues to be amazing. But I really started to feel the length after Glass was healed by the lone Pawnee. I also thought the final fight was pretty excessive, gotta give the audience their catharsis I guess. I really didn't like Hardy's last line either, really contrived "killing me won't bring back your son." I would have much preferred him to have just been sent off down the river instead of being scalped too, would have given the "revenge is up to the creator" line more weight, as well as being a sort of ironic justice that Glass leaves him in the same situation he was in at the start of the film.

On the other hand the atmosphere of this movie was incredible, I really felt the cold and the size of the landscape. The battle scene at the start was amazing as well.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yeah the whole set piece action scene in the beginning was really amazing.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

caiman posted:

Leo would have deserved an Oscar if he fought a real bear.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Saw this tonight and absolutely loved it. Visceral, gorgeous, and it really hooked me in from the first frame. It reminded me a lot of The Proposition in how it kept alternating between beautiful and brutal imagery. I could maybe see how it's a bit too long for some people (my theater was packed and I noticed a few people check the time on their phones a couple hours in), but all the literally awesome landscapes and tracking shots had me so invested that I didn't mind at all.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Saw this tonight and absolutely loved it. Visceral, gorgeous, and it really hooked me in from the first frame. It reminded me a lot of The Proposition in how it kept alternating between beautiful and brutal imagery. I could maybe see how it's a bit too long for some people (my theater was packed and I noticed a few people check the time on their phones a couple hours in), but all the literally awesome landscapes and tracking shots had me so invested that I didn't mind at all.

This is exactly how I felt. I didn't really notice the time at all. I was completely engrossed in every shot. The plot is really secondary to the visuals in this movie, but even that I enjoyed.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
great movie

gives me a small amount of hope that maybe someday a Blood Meridian film will be a thing and might actually be decent

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

this movie was fantastic. I never sat in a packed theater that was completely silent during the entire film. I got the sense that everyone was captivated by it. One common criticism will be the film's weak plot, but I would argue this film isn't about story anyway.

Leo did great, rolling in the dirt and all. But Tom Hardy's character was more interesting and I think Hardy stole the show with his performance. I didn't consider the character evil, more like a tortured soul with a dark past, an impoverished man who wanted a piece of the pie in life. Nobody in the film was reduced as good or bad. It depicted a state of nature where everyone fends for themselves.

I think the cinematography was on par with Malick at his best. And the bear scene benefited from top notch CGI. The only time the bear seemed unrealistic is when it slid down the hill.

Mokelumne Trekka fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 10, 2016

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
The more I think about it, the more I think the movie needs to lose like 30-45 minutes, which is a big problem.

The 1st and 3rd acts are great, but the middle is literally like 1.5 hours long, when it should be closer to 30-40 minutes given how little actually happens.

I would love to see someone edit together a tighter version of this, because I almost guarantee it would play WAY better.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Leo would have deserved an Oscar if he fought a real bear.

I liked how the film studio had to directly say that there was no bear rape in the film after people started spreading rumors about the movie.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

bullet3 posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think the movie needs to lose like 30-45 minutes, which is a big problem.

The 1st and 3rd acts are great, but the middle is literally like 1.5 hours long, when it should be closer to 30-40 minutes given how little actually happens.

I would love to see someone edit together a tighter version of this, because I almost guarantee it would play WAY better.

You should email them your idea

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I really thought this was good. There were a few moments of condescension towards the audience but overall it felt like Inarritu really toned down his ego a bit, and I'd say he's won me back. The pacing was a bit off and maybe a bit to much animal CGI overall? (why do we need a CGI crow?)

The cast all seemed to give 100%, especially the unscrupulous Hardy, though I thought DiCaprio's body-acting was quite wonderful for someone who usually doesn't have a ton of range. I've really come around to liking him as an actor. I don't know the name of the red-head captain (was also in Ex Machina) but he and many of the other smaller roles were well cast.

The real star though was Lubezki with the 65mm steadycam in incredibly difficult shooting conditions. This man is nothing short of the best DP on the planet, and the films of Inarritu and Cuaron would be far less captivating were it not for his involvement. I am in awe.

The Revenant wasn't as good as Mad Max, but it definitely makes a case.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That is Domnhall Gleeson.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The film was very pretty but it was pretty hard on my eyes sometimes. Overall I thought it was solid but it was exhausting and I was very ready for it to be over when it was. I think it would have benefited by being about 20 minutes shorter.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

NESguerilla posted:

The film was very pretty but it was pretty hard on my eyes sometimes. Overall I thought it was solid but it was exhausting and I was very ready for it to be over when it was. I think it would have benefited by being about 20 minutes shorter.

Yeah, 20 minutes less of slow body dragging would've been nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Hearing that the plot is thin, and the visuals tell the story is really exciting for me. That kind of movie is exactly what I am looking for. One of my favorite films is The Red and The White, which is a movie told almost entirely in visuals with no real plot to speak of. Plot is the least interesting aspect of a film to me, so I am on board.

• Locked thread