Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Our dog has gone from Elora to Elorba to Elborba to Belborba to Taco Belborba.

I have a habit of doing these things, it has led to me calling my daughter Pete all the time. Her name is actually Abigail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Yates posted:

I have a habit of doing these things, it has led to me calling my daughter Pete all the time. Her name is actually Abigail.

It's ok, I turned out good with a bad father too

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Wanker, dickhead, idiot etc. It offends my family and friends because hes such a cutie patootie but i dont care. He knows we tight

cadaver.
Oct 31, 2009
My cat was named Mars by her last owner and I call her marzipan, marsy-moo, loaf, peahead

kaworu posted:

If I say a random name, my cat will more or less ignore me. If I say her name, she picks up her head and looks at me. Dogs can obviously be trained with commands.

But even more to the point, pets understand us in different ways. When we use these silly pet names, we often also use a particularly affectionate tone of voice; we use body language that can easily be read as loving and affectionate, often because we are petting them/lovin' on them, whatever. Pets absolutely understand this - they get what's going on. To what extent we can only estimate and surmise.

Obviously, they aren't literally understanding the affectionate nicknames we give them. But I think there's a case to be made that they recognize the tone of voice they're said in and the set of behaviors they're combined with and figure out pretty quickly the overall gist. Cats can be dumb but they aren't TOTALLY dumb.

Mars knows sit and lie down and high five, as long as there's treats involved :cabot: I used a clicker dealy to train her. She's still pretty dumb though
It's me, I'm the :toxogond: :(

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
My cat Marigold: Mary, Mawy, Mawy-Bewwy, Mare-bear, Mawy-goat

My other cat Clover: Cwover, kitty, kitty-kat, little tiny kitty

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yI8XpL-qdg Here is a video of me saying stupid things to my cat.

Now, though, she is Golden Brown. Texture like sun. Never a frown, with Golden Brown.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Gearfeathers posted:

My dog Asric is also known as Ham Hunk, Tater Tots, Buddy, and C'mere Lazybutt.

My sister's dog Bandit is Baby Bandaroo, Frito Bandito, Bandaboo, Joe Jonas, Little Bit, and Buddy.

I think every dog is legally required to respond to the name Buddy

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Our bearded dragon is called Oscar and I've found myself going 'heeeeey uncle-father Oscar' when I get up on a morning. There's a lot of 'lazy fat dragon' also, she isn't fat, eats a hell of a lot though.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
We have a long hair cat that earned the nicknames fatty and shitass.

Had a tuxedo cat we would call heifer because of how she grazed. She had messed up vocal chords so we'd call her curmudgeon too.

I haven't any nicknames for my current kitty because I live alone with her, so I just look at her and talk.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Clobbers kind of evolves over the day. Common ones are Clam Boat, Clobdobs, Clobobbo, Clibbity and really just any kind of similar iteration of those.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Kiska's rap name is Little Kicks.

She is going to be a superstar someday.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
When my cat pukes, I'll call her Puki Noguchi :shrug:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

My birds Pion and Putni at times become Bird One and Two. Sometimes I ask them whether they are really birds, I never get a clear answer. Obviously Putni becomes Putin once in a while.
And then there's just me trying (poorly) to parrot their bird sounds.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Mozi posted:

we built this city

we built this city on sand and piss

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
My cat is named Sir Percival von Puffypants. He is a bit fat. Between my wife and I he has been called:

Chubbles, chububblet, chublet chew, lardling, fatling, fatass, fattyfat, whalelord, chubble bubble, fatapat, fatniss everplump, sugar plum, Fatman and Blobbin, whalevorine, fatlo saggins, Harry plumper, and game of moans (when he yells outside the bedroom door and we have to "go answer the fat signal").

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 15, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Freakbox posted:

Chubbles, chububblet, chublet chew, lardling, fatling, fatass, fattyfat, whalelord, chubble bubble, fatapat, fatniss everplump, sugar plum, Fatman and Blobbin, whalevorine, fatlo saggins, Harry plumper, and game of moans (when he yells outside the bedroom door and we have to "go answer the fat signal").

That was a pleasure to read :) Sometimes when my cat's chub is noticeable I poke it and call him my Chubby Buddy.

And then I ask him, "Huh? It is a chubby buddy after all, isn't it? Chubby Buddy, huh? Yeah..." And then I get stupid.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

MrSlam posted:

That was a pleasure to read :) Sometimes when my cat's chub is noticeable I poke it and call him my Chubby Buddy.

And then I ask him, "Huh? It is a chubby buddy after all, isn't it? Chubby Buddy, huh? Yeah..." And then I get stupid.

Wife just looked over my shoulder and advised me of forgetting her favorite name for Percival- Porkival. Thanks honey. And that's adorable. I want a puffy white cat I can name adipose, someday :3:

Included- complementary picture of fatling. (note : I do NOT endorse obese animals being 'adorable' or making obese animals. He just happens to be a fatlord who I find cute otherwise.)

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 16, 2016

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Simon is an old fat ferret, his nicknames are porkchop, portabella, or chicken biscuit. Ashton is a middle aged ferret and his nickname is hoagie or baguette. Mia is a younger, much smaller girl ferret and her nicknames are terrible ferret, squiggles, and shrimp poboy.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
FIona, my pomeranian is fluffy butt.

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009
Boo is Boo Bear, Baby Bear, Mr Bear, Bear, Boo Radley, Boo Paddly , Dickhead, Buttface or Buttface McGee. I also sing the Mr Plow song while holding him but replace the word Plow with Bear. And I call him in an exaggerated French accent. Meester Bear.

I sometimes call him by the foreign words on his catfood, like gambas, lambsvlees (pronounced lambsleeves) or tunfisk. I taunt him for not having thumbs and when I cuddle him against his will I tell him he has no recourse, which turns into taunting him for having no racehorses. When I do this I also make him look at his own upright, curved tail in the mirror so he can see how much he's enjoying it really.

I am unashamed.

CProject
Apr 18, 2016
I call the boy cat Puppy, which infuriates my wife to no end for some reason. I call the girl cat booger-butt, or bean. Bean because two of her paw toes are black, and they look like black beans.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Tibor posted:

Boo is Boo Bear, Baby Bear, Mr Bear, Bear, Boo Radley, Boo Paddly , Dickhead, Buttface or Buttface McGee. I also sing the Mr Plow song while holding him but replace the word Plow with Bear. And I call him in an exaggerated French accent. Meester Bear.
I taunt him for not having thumbs and when I cuddle him against his will I tell him he has no recourse, which turns into taunting him for having no racehorses.

I'm going to adopt these methods of torture affection

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
For reasons unknown my cat Austin gets called foof, fat pants, baba and his full name Austin J. Malloy. Note, that is not my surname I just called him that and it stuck.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

"fluffle buffle."

I think this one is my favorite.

Tibor posted:

taunting him for having no racehorses.

This one is my other favorite.

This post brought to you by Irma aka Princess Walnut (a non-flattering reference to brain size...not fair, as she's anxious but really pretty smart)/Mouse/Mousie/Kittygirl/FussPrincess, Bruce aka Bears, Little Bear, Bear-Bear Cat, BRS (short for Bruce or Bears, clever me), and Marshall aka Ponies (if he missed me, he'll rear up for pets like a horse), Tux-face, Kitten, Footie-Beans (because white paws, black beans, very excellent).

Irma will get sung to about her little paws and ears, Bruce will get a song almost every day in the shower about bears (sample: "he's a bears bears bears, a little bears bears bears"), and Marshall gets "Ponies the Cat" sung at him to the rough tune of the old Felix the Cat theme song.

I didn't do this before, but a previous cat was mostly blind so I started talking to him a lot, and Irma needed constant reassurance that I was harmless, so I started singing to her. Now, I'm always asking them stupid poo poo like who's a bear, who's got little footie beans, etc.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

This is Wolfgang, Prince Wolfgang, Maximum Kitty, Maximum Fluff, Fuzz Factory, Furry Man, Squeaky Man, Talky Buddy, Our Kitty of the Perpetual Floof.

This is James, who doesn't really have any other nicknames.

But both are Cuddle Buddy, Cuddle Friend, Sweetie, Sweet Potato, Sweetness, Special, Pudding Hat, Worried Countenance, Captain of the Foretop (when perched atop the cat tree), Schmoopy, Schmoopy-doopy, Boy, Boy-boy, Boy-boy-boy, Sir, My Dear Sir, Buddy, Matey, Matey-moo.

And lots of songs become about the cats:

I'm gonna pat some cats
Only got one kitty on my table
I - I I'm patting
Looking for a cuddle
What a furry kitten!

And, to the tune of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C3umDN3voo

When I pat the kitty, pat the kitty, pat the cat
Then I pat the kitty, pat the kitty, pat the caaaat!

When I pat the kitty, pat the kitty, pat the cat
Then I pat the kitty, pat the kitty, pat the caaaat!

Well, I pat the kitty kitty, pat the cat.

I pat the kitty, pat the kitty cat
Pat the kitty kitty kitty pat the cat.
I pat the kitty, pat the kitty cat
Pat the kitty kitty kitty pat the cat.
I pat the kitty, pat the kitty caaaaaat!

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 20, 2016

Funka
Jan 4, 2006
Minky is "the minkiest of minks" or "stinky minky"; Sausage is "the sauciest of sauces". Together they are the "peeper peeps". When they cuddle, it's "they love each other brother sister" pronounced as one word.

We have two ducks hanging out around my flat, so of course I must quack at them.

When I talk to animals my american accent gets really thick and the locals laugh their bums off at me.

Meneer
Sep 16, 2004

I'm trying to keep up
We named the kitten Lemon, but I call her Pleppie most of the time. I don't know why.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Rescued a pure black cat named Ghirardelli, but I usually just call him "Ghira" because I don't want my apartment neighbors thinking I'm some crazy person yelling out a brand of chocolate several times a day. My other rescue Artemis I call Mrs. Grouchypants when she randomly decides petting time is over.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Funka posted:

When I talk to animals my american accent gets really thick and the locals laugh their bums off at me.

When I talk to my cats I have the most bizarre, most annoying Midwestern accent ever. Like "cat" becomes "keeeeeeaaaat." I have no idea where it came from and it irritates me but I can't stop it because cats :catstare:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
my last cat :rip:

passed at 18

his proper name was Motu Raja (indian ex wife)

Mo, momo, motu, mofus, mofurky and momomomomomomomomomomomo

Funka
Jan 4, 2006

Thin Privilege posted:

When I talk to my cats I have the most bizarre, most annoying Midwestern accent ever. Like "cat" becomes "keeeeeeaaaat." I have no idea where it came from and it irritates me but I can't stop it because cats :catstare:

Yeah I am originally from Chicago too, it does not help that my cat is called SAWWWWW SAAAAG (he was named before I took him in so I kept it). I hear myself and it sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBnnon_iZOM

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Potassium purrmanganate.
Potassium purr magnate

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Funka posted:

Yeah I am originally from Chicago too, it does not help that my cat is called SAWWWWW SAAAAG (he was named before I took him in so I kept it). I hear myself and it sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBnnon_iZOM

I totally forgot about these guys, this is hilarious.

People used make fun of me because I said ch-icago instead of sh-icago.

Content: all of my cats have to be called [ name ] - bucket. Like, CatBucket. I think it's because I heard someone call a car a Rust Bucket as a kid and found it the most hilarious thing so now my cats amuse me by being Cat Buckets. (They're not rusty.)

SpookBus
Aug 22, 2015
"Wrinkle-face", "Butt", "Dummy", "Dingus", "Moron", and "Babybutt"

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Batman, buddy, little buddy, little guy, baby-boy, fur-butt, and Mr. Man.

Cats are great :)

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
My moms dog Xena gets called Xeens, Xeeners, Xeener-weeners, Stupid, Dumbass, Buttface, and Shithead. She actually responds to Stupid sometimes when her actual name doesn't work. We love her so.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Fatty-fat

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Every morning after I have a shower I go into my bedroom to get dressed and see Mr Neon sleeping on my bed I will call him 'babydog' in a cutesy voice. This is often accompanied by furious pats depending on how docile he is.

Other times I will pat him while saying 'Neon, Neon, Neon, Neon' like Gunther patting Nina in that weird Adventure Time episode. When he's being particularly boisterous he is a landshark or I will sing 'suck my diiiick, I'm a shaaaaark' as he tears around the place.

Navik
May 13, 2005

Her sweet, sweet, sw-sw-sweet can
My Neko was often known as Neeker, Neeker-Butt, Dumbass, and during the last year of his life, when he became senile and forgot how to use the litterbox and how to groom himself, was affectionately dubbed Stinkmo.

We also had Maggie, often known as Mags, Magaggie, Little Bit, and occasionally, Bitch.

My friend also has Sgt. Pepper, who usually is just called Sarge or Sgt. Pooper. Also Wethead, for his habit of drinking out of the running sink by letting the water run down the top of his face, and Noddy Holder, because he'll come running every time my friend listens to the band Slade. He's even pawed at the radio a couple of times when he's wanted my friend to play it. He's an endearingly bizarre cat. :3:

Navik fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The dog (affectionately): Muttley, dumbass, dipshit, MuttZilla

• Locked thread