Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.
We were given a tip from a computer log in the volcanic sector that the surviving scientists had headed out to the water sector to study what's happening. So in this update, our lil' robot moves in pursuit to see if they're still alive, or to at least gather some information.

#2: Fastest way to Travel

Note: I collect the first of many data disks in this update and didn't really talk about what it did too much. That's because we'll see what it does eventually. In the meantime, I will pick them up when I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Your immediate and reckless use of the hookshot amuses and pleases me.

As does the obligatory water level in this game, which manages to actually be kind of fun and not infuriating at all, contrary to all video game logic.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

anilEhilated posted:

You say well, I say bullshit. I don't think I can ever get over all the "this block looks exactly like any other block but can be shot/bombed/passed through every full moon". I love 2D exploratory games but I'm really glad we moved away from that.
Also, powerups start feeling pointless after a certain threshold and that threshold gets lower as you get better at the game.

It can be eye-opening to watch new players play Super Metroid blind, because there are some things that just entered common knowledge back in the day that are really obscure for new players. The tube is one (but by then you have power bombs and are probably used to dropping them everywhere to find stuff) and the entrance to Kraid's lair. Kraid's lair is odd because there's no signpost something's there, it's the first time that happens in the game (charge beam and the super missile blocks after Spore Spawn are set apart), it's not shown on the map, and an elevator room doesn't set off the same exploration bells as other dead ends. With modern thinking, it would have been better to put the elevator one screen left (with map tweaking to make it fit) so that there's a dead end pointing toward the boss room that can serve to teach the "bomb everywhere" exploration.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

It can be eye-opening to watch new players play Super Metroid blind, because there are some things that just entered common knowledge back in the day that are really obscure for new players. The tube is one (but by then you have power bombs and are probably used to dropping them everywhere to find stuff) and the entrance to Kraid's lair. Kraid's lair is odd because there's no signpost something's there, it's the first time that happens in the game (charge beam and the super missile blocks after Spore Spawn are set apart), it's not shown on the map, and an elevator room doesn't set off the same exploration bells as other dead ends. With modern thinking, it would have been better to put the elevator one screen left (with map tweaking to make it fit) so that there's a dead end pointing toward the boss room that can serve to teach the "bomb everywhere" exploration.

Kraid's lair is pretty obscure, but there is one (1) hint: Kraid's room is on the map. None of the rooms connecting it to the elevator room are, but you know there's something generally east of the elevator.

But yeah, Super Metroid is absolutely not a perfect game. As the trailblazer for a genre, though, I think it's allowed to make some mistakes.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

That Hookshot looks so ridiculously fun to use. Just how far up can it launch you if you get a fast enough swing?

You can see some examples of the potential hookshot distance in this latest ep, but the way it works is, it will fling you about as far up as you fell down. The biggest setup for a hookshot jump in the game is many screens tall, and has to be executed just right to soar you up there.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

anilEhilated posted:

You say well, I say bullshit. I don't think I can ever get over all the "this block looks exactly like any other block but can be shot/bombed/passed through every full moon". I love 2D exploratory games but I'm really glad we moved away from that.
Also, powerups start feeling pointless after a certain threshold and that threshold gets lower as you get better at the game.

Ah, yeah random blocks in the middle of nowhere were pretty silly but what I remember most are the hidden extra rooms/weird paths that connect some places. Those were pretty cool.
On one hand I agree that the style hasn't aged well but on the other hand that wild sense of 'exploratory mystery' has only gotten diluted since then.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

You were not kidding about how much Super Metroid influence there is in this with the areas and even the music. :psyduck:

Not saying that is a bad thing and I'm sure you're sick of people saying that but wow... I will not have fun with how much it asks you to do with the Hookshot though so I am looking forward to next episode!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

EponymousMrYar posted:

On one hand I agree that the style hasn't aged well but on the other hand that wild sense of 'exploratory mystery' has only gotten diluted since then.
See that's what I think is the nostalgia and games like SotN just did it better period. There you get new weapons and tricks, here it's: secret? Oh, rockets again.
I'm not denying (super) Metroid's importance or influence, just saying it's not a very good game.

e: Uh, done bitching, this actually looks somewhat fun with the hookshot gameplay - if the other upgrades are as cool, it might be alright.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 3, 2016

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

I'm not denying (super) Metroid's importance or influence, just saying it's not a very good game.
Some of it's exploration mechanics may be of an earlier era, but one thing SM did very well was atmosphere. There are some parts of the game where the music and environmental effects really make an impact. SOTN did this too, but I think it could because it had SM's template to work from.

EDIT: also spin attack fuckin owns

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
I like this game, mostly because the humans did the smart thing and sent a robot in to investigate instead of some random schmuck.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Never send a schmuck to do a schmuckbot's job.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

#3: Power-up Central

Our power grows to such a degree in this update that, midway through, I feel the need to handicap myself a little bit and not use one of them for a while.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This update starts showing what really soured me on the game. They give you a charge shot -- and then almost every enemy you encounter from that point on takes at least as many charged shots to kill as prior enemies took normal shots. There's a number of points where it felt like the designers went "Okay, we just gave you an increase in your power, so that means we need to increase the power of your enemies so that you don't actually feel any more powerful." Then they start doing it with the progress you make in "unlocking" the station, which always ends up also creating a bunch of barriers and/or unlocking a bunch of gigantic rear end in a top hat enemies that start populating all the rooms you used to be able to get through relatively easily. I felt like I was being punished for making progress in the game, rather than being rewarded.

That and the enemies shooting at you constantly while you're trying to navigate highly precise jumping puzzles were what did me in. That poo poo's okay if you're on an emulator and retrying the puzzle is just a "load state" away, but in this game there's too much time spent on getting back to the start of the puzzle, especially if/when you die.

Anyway, enough complaining. You're better at this game than I was, or at any rate more practiced. It took me several attempts to beat the Overgrowth boss.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
I do enjoy how this game promotes a mentality of "imma loving do [insert dumb stunt here]", cause when you actually pull it off its so satisfying.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Wait... so the main villain is an AI/virus that's subverting everything on the station. We're a robot who was sent in to fix this (though nobody knew what the problem was when we were sent over.) What guarantee do we have that we perceive the world here accurately? I'd love to see some twists built off of this later, though I doubt it'll go that direction.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Smite posted:

#3: Power-up Central

Our power grows to such a degree in this update that, midway through, I feel the need to handicap myself a little bit and not use one of them for a while.

Use the tri-shot, you aren't megaman, you are a military robot hell-bent on murdering your way though the station.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love how this is set in deep future space and they still use floppies. That's something could easily happen in a game from the period this seems to want to emulate.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
That fuckin' Laser Snake kicked my rear end when I played this game. For the first half I was like "Yeah, I've seen this guy in Metroid Fusion," but then phase 2 wiped me out.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I love how this is set in deep future space and they still use floppies. That's something could easily happen in a game from the period this seems to want to emulate.

They could be holographic CDs with floppy like casings.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

KingEffingFrost posted:

That fuckin' Laser Snake kicked my rear end when I played this game. For the first half I was like "Yeah, I've seen this guy in Metroid Fusion," but then phase 2 wiped me out.

Same for me, until I realized (as Smite belatedly did) that in part two he's vulnerable everywhere, not just the tail. Thank god.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
That triple shot would've made fighting Overgrowth a hell of a lot easier when I first played. :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Speaking of the triple shot, I hosed up the puzzle in that room and blocked the exit with the falling weights. I had to restart the game entirely. Was there another way out of there?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I think that that trigger thing you found after turning off the plants was meant to give you a short cut back up to the start of the jumping puzzle.

And it looked like there might be 2 hidden areas on the edges of the laser eels boss area.
Edit: vvvvvv What I said only better.

Major_JF fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 7, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It looked like there was also an exit hidden on the top left of the serpent boss room, which you didn't check out at all. You only went to the top right.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of the triple shot, I hosed up the puzzle in that room and blocked the exit with the falling weights. I had to restart the game entirely. Was there another way out of there?

Can't you just quit the game and reload your save?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

A good puzzle shouldn't require you to reload your save when you gently caress it up.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I just finished all the crazy post release dlc content for this game a few days ago. This game is great.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

A good puzzle shouldn't require you to reload your save when you gently caress it up.

Agreed, but as opposed to restarting the game entirely.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bruceski posted:

Oh, no, I meant reload, not restart entirely. Even though I said restart entirely.

Yep

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Ciaphas posted:

You can reset the puzzle by transitioning back up to the room above. Depending on your equipment, you may need a good grapple to do so.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
That item is intended to be picked up a lot later like Smite said so you'd normally have ways to reset the puzzle without quitting your session.

First time I picked up triple shot I crushed myself with the blue blocks as I was testing it out. :downs:

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I just picked up the game thanks to this LP. I'm surprised at just how good it feels to play around, especially with the grapple.

Now I'm going to wait for you to progress past me so I can follow along. I've reached a bit of a skill barrier.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Hempuli is making a sequel to this game and he likes to occasionally stream his working on it here: http://www.twitch.tv/hempuli

He's streaming it right now!

Magnuslord
Jul 19, 2008
Nice lp so far Smite. I tried this game, and it beat me. Its too frustrating, hope you fare better than I did.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

#4: All Systems Online

Armed with what is essentially an offensive teleport, we are able to get to the main power grid and turn the entire station on.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Would following those lights help you through that maze? And during that boss fight with the three robots, does shooting the robot that's preparing to attack do more damage to it?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Man I never knew there was a legit way to get into the glitch room.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zaggitz posted:

Man I never knew there was a legit way to get into the glitch room.

I didn't even know that WAS a glitch room, I thought there was a way in there postgame or something.

Also regarding the Class Ds, I thought that you could ONLY damage them when they were attacking. That was a long, painful fight :saddowns:

Kerris
Jul 12, 2006
Don't you fucking dare compliment a woman's voice on the forums, you fucking creepy stalker.
Is the triple shot coming back soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
As good as this game seems, I'm really starting to see what folks are talking about with how it feels like the game tries too hard with the difficulty curve, making you feel more discouraged than encouraged to make progress...

• Locked thread