Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

D_W posted:

I really liked the Plague Hive boss since it made you go "Oh you really like that Triple Shot, eh?" Once I figured out to turn triple shot off the boss fight was much more manageable.

But man, on the hard difficulty it seems like there is also a lot more enemies.

I on the other hand hadn't yet learned that you can turn items off by the time I beat this guy.

It took a looooong time thanks to triple shot :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I never realized the Triple Shot was what was causing all those worms to fly out of it until now. I managed to beat the fight without realizing that, but that boss took me a while to beat.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

It's not specifically Triple Shot. It's just that hitting it when it's weakness isn't exposed is what causes the worms to spawn.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
Well yeah, but with the way Triple Shot works, it's hard to miss it, seeing as it's in the middle of the map.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

The trick is to guide the targeted flesh shots into the corner, so you never have to shoot in its direction. And any worms you encounter can be dash-killed.

E: I only say this because Triple Shot is way too useful after the first phase.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Plague Hive took me a bit of time to beat too but I couldn't imagine doing that with the Triple Shot.

Most of the bosses following the Robed Statue are such a drastic increase in difficulty (except maybe the next boss once you figure out the trick)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rather Watch Them posted:

I suppose it's easier when the framerate is normal. I'd managed to get as far as I could with occasional patches of slowdown, but Plague Hive is where I called it. The worst part is that the central orb doesn't signal when it fires, so you just have to know the timing and dodge.

Much harder with an old computer. :thumbsup:

How poorly was this programmed to not run super nintendo quality graphics on any modern computer.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bip Roberts posted:

How poorly was this programmed to not run super nintendo quality graphics on any modern computer.

It's due to the engine, Multimedia Fusion 2.
While it's aboslutely amazing for sprite games and the ease of doing cool poo poo at minimal expense, it's not very optimized towards a lot of things moving on screen with collision.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Modern game development lets one developer do the work that required an entire team back in the SNES days, and in a shorter time to boot. The price you pay is worse performance, but hardware has improved so much that this usually isn't a problem.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The only issue I had with this game was the occasional hang-up between rooms.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.
#8: A Collection of Upgrades

I didn't spend the entire update fighting that boss! We spend the rest of it collecting some cool stuff and getting ready for the next area.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I should note that at this point of the game the player can now collect every single upgrade, including a few secret ones that make you so powerful nothing will be a threat to you until the end of the post game and the dlc content.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I need to find a guide to the postgame and DLC and play this again before Smite gets there. I stumbled on none of it at all when I played a month and a half ago.

Also :hellyeah: Booster V

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
This is about when I realized I could go back and get the Triple Shot in my first playthrough. But since I was nearby some other points of interest, I found other upgrades first. Triple ended up being my third-to-last item. Only the Plasma Shield and the secret movement upgrade reward came after it. :(

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
How useful is the Plasma Shield? It looks like your bog-standard Mega Man Shield Weapon, i.e. crap, but are there hidden depths that I'm not seeing? I mean, I guess it's free damage every time you get hit by an enemy (and not a projectile)...

Limopalise
May 4, 2015

A boring man. It's hard to tell what he's capable of.
Just found this thread after I saw Hempuli mentioned it on his blog. Hello!

Really happy to see someone doing a comprehensive LP of this game. It's easily one of my favourite metroidvanias and it's a shame not that many people seem to have heard of it.

Keep up the good work. Also maybe wait until postgame before getting a certain secret upgrade since it kinda makes non-postgame content a joke - you don't even get a chance to see certain boss attack patterns because they die so quickly.

EDIT: ^^^^ The plasma shield's main purpose for me was to not have to worry about the fly enemies anymore, though I've also seen it used in an exploit with a certain boss we have yet to see.

Limopalise fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 11, 2016

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

How useful is the Plasma Shield? It looks like your bog-standard Mega Man Shield Weapon, i.e. crap, but are there hidden depths that I'm not seeing? I mean, I guess it's free damage every time you get hit by an enemy (and not a projectile)...

Usually when something is hitting you with contact damage, they take damage back themselves. I score some serious damage on some tankier enemies once in a while.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

On top of scoring a free hit on harder enemies, It's required for post-endgame stuff

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

#9: Overriding Security

We are getting real close to the end here, as you can probably tell by how much of the map has been ventured. I'm going to have to figure out how to handle what comes next, because there is a surprisingly large amount of optional tasks left to do and it is all incredibly cryptic.

There's also an area that is brand new to both of us because the dev had added an entire section between the game's release and this LP!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Laughing pretty hard at you thinking the v dash could ever be an optional mechanic.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Laughing pretty hard at you thinking the v dash could ever be an optional mechanic.

With the way you can hookshot anywhere you want and a way to speedrun this game in about 4 minutes, it is hard to tell sometimes. Really the only thing stopping it from being true at all is those blocks that seal off required passageways.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Also if you had gotten the actual optional stuff the boss in this video would have been a hilarious cakewalk. It's good that you show off the legit way to fight him though, it's a lot more interesting.

Also the dev-intended way to tackle the new postgame content he added is to hold off until you complete the original post game content, once you do the game will point you towards the new stuff. Though of course you can go there anytime you want if you know where it is.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 16, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

You took far fewer tries on the overmind than I did, I can tell ya that much. :saddowns:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
At least he didn't fall to his death and fight the security overmind again like I had to. :shepicide:

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

At least he didn't fall to his death and fight the security overmind again like I had to. :shepicide:

Yeah, it doesn't indicate very well that the monitor down there is optional, or that the overmind does anything once it's down.

E: At least I think that's optional.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Rather Watch Them posted:

Yeah, it doesn't indicate very well that the monitor down there is optional, or that the overmind does anything once it's down.

E: At least I think that's optional.

The monitor is optional. It gives you a clue on what you could do but otherwise breaking the Security Overmind stops the security doors from closing on you.

At this point you have the necessary tools to beat the game.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

#10: Antivirus

This one's a bit longer because it's gonna wrap a few things up. But not all the things; not even close!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The amount of health per health pack is decided by order, not location. The penultimate one giving a single hp is a joke, basically.

edit: I'm glad you decided on this route because I've never actually seen this boss done without the powerups you don't have yet.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 21, 2016

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

After going through a whole lot of trouble swinging through that jumping section that Smite just boosted up getting a single hp pissed me off a bit. Probably contributed to me putting the game away unfinished.

Limopalise
May 4, 2015

A boring man. It's hard to tell what he's capable of.
Really happy you decided to save getting the game-breaking powerups till later - it was interesting seeing those bosses take longer than 3 seconds to die.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
That one room you passed through looked a little Lyle in cube sector to me. Probably a game the developer likes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Looking at the preview clip for the next video, jesus christ how much game did I miss by stopping here :psyduck:

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Looking at the preview clip for the next video, jesus christ how much game did I miss by stopping here :psyduck:

I said there was only gonna be 1 collection ep but there might be 2 or 3. After that, there is about as much content left at this point to make an entirely different sort of game.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
That boss fight was another reference to Space Station 13. In SS13, one of the roles for players is "AI", in which you are the station's sentient mainframe. You can see the station through cameras, open doors and control robots, and talk to the crew over radios and intercoms, but your physical form is an inert block locked away in the bowels of the station. However, you get an option "Deploy to Shell" that lets you take control of a special class of robots. They're limited in what they can do, but it's the only way for the AI in the game to actually physically interact with anything, or leave the station. So those weren't just random robots you were fighting, they were actually the AI in it's physical forms! They even look kind of similar, in a way, to the second form of that boss. :eng101:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Ciaphas posted:

it used to be about half the game, with all the new content added post release it's closer to 2/3.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

That boss fight was another reference to Space Station 13. In SS13, one of the roles for players is "AI", in which you are the station's sentient mainframe. You can see the station through cameras, open doors and control robots, and talk to the crew over radios and intercoms, but your physical form is an inert block locked away in the bowels of the station. However, you get an option "Deploy to Shell" that lets you take control of a special class of robots. They're limited in what they can do, but it's the only way for the AI in the game to actually physically interact with anything, or leave the station. So those weren't just random robots you were fighting, they were actually the AI in it's physical forms! They even look kind of similar, in a way, to the second form of that boss. :eng101:

:aaa: The little robot is actually exploring Space Station 13.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

SugarAddict posted:

:aaa: The little robot is actually exploring Space Station 13.

Impossible, if it was SS13 it would have been completely exploded long before the robot got there.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Impossible, if it was SS13 it would have been completely exploded long before the robot got there.

Some idiot uploaded a one-human law but mis-spelled their name.
"Only people wearing severed butts as hats on their head are human."

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 21, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

SugarAddict posted:

Some idiot uploaded a one-human law but mis-spelled their name.
"Only people wearing severed butts as hats on their head are human."

Doesn't matter. Humans Act, ergo the station would have exploded 10 minutes into its run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Doesn't matter. Humans Act, ergo the station would have exploded 10 minutes into its run.

From poo bombs no doubt?

• Locked thread