Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Because if you're gay, they could total out to $135,000.

http://5newsonline.com/2015/12/29/bakery-pays-135000-after-denying-service-to-same-sex-couple/

quote:

An Oregon bakery ponyed up — six months late — after refusing to pay $135,000 in state-ordered damages for denying service to a same-sex couple.

Aaron Klein, co-owner of the Sweet Cakes by Melissa, dropped off a check Monday (Dec. 28) for $136,927.07, which includes accrued interest, according to KPIX. Klein also paid $7,000 earlier this month.

In July, Aaron and Melissa Klein were ordered to pay for causing emotional suffering to Laurel and Rachel Bowman-Cryer when the bakery refused to make the couple a wedding cake in 2013, KPIX reported. The Kleins said they refused because of their religious beliefs.

Oregon legislators passed a law in 2007 that protects lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people from discrimination in housing, employment, and businesses.

I am emotionally damaged and desire compensation from Lowtax for having to read posts in DnD. My damages should come out to about 1 million dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I agree OP we should not punish lawbreakers

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

cool and good posted:

I agree OP we should not punish lawbreakers

Punish me, sempai

feller
Jul 5, 2006

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Punish me, sempai

I'm always up for a little findom

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
I'm surprised they weren't gay friendly because Sweet Cakes is a pretty gay name.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

http://5newsonline.com/2015/12/29/bakery-pays-135000-after-denying-service-to-same-sex-couple/

I am emotionally damaged and desire compensation from Lowtax for having to read posts in DnD. My damages should come out to about 1 million dollars.

lmao yeah right, good luck getting a cool mil outta the guy who had to beg for money to move DB to the cloud

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i have a condition where if im sad i get a boner. i call it mourning wood ehhejehehege

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
when i think social progress i think of civil cases where the defendant gotta make it rain on the plaintiff for emotional damages
theres a quiet dignity to it that civil rights leaders would be proud of

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I gotta get into the wedding cake business if they've got $130k to just throw around like that

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Gagelion2 is that you?!

E: I don't care if I wrote your name wrong, in fact I hope I did, it's nearly new year and all sins are forgiven from the year before I think. Not that misspelling is a sin, maybe it used to be but gbs has come a long way.

a whole buncha crows fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 30, 2015

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
How does one calculate emotional damage into monies, I wonder? I mean surely they have some kind of formula for this, at least, I sure hope they don't pull these amounts out of a hat.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Being a bigot should be expensive and painful.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I guess gays are jusrt very sensitive

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Zeroisanumber posted:

Being a bigot should be expensive and painful.

Let's start fining everyone who has opinions we disagree with, I think that's the best solution.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Let's start fining everyone who has opinions we disagree with, I think that's the best solution.

That is most definitely what this is about. You have exposed the core.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Zeroisanumber posted:

That is most definitely what this is about. You have exposed the core.

poo poo is this Gradius? Because I'm mad triggered gently caress gently caress

gently caress I DODGED IT COME ON YOU loving PIECE OF poo poo

FUUUUUUUU--okay, beat the boss, level 3, got this.

loving MOAI HEAD BULLSHIT

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
That triggering is worth about $40

I need money for gas please

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Would they have paid the same penalty for refusing to serve a black couple?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Jesus himself is preventing my hands from spelling out your earth-names in buttercream frosting. I am sorry, the burden is just too great.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

I gotta get into the wedding cake business if they've got $130k to just throw around like that

they got like 500k through crowd funding for their bravery in standing up to the gay agenda

people are still donating to thdm

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Blue Train posted:

they got like 500k through crowd funding for their bravery in standing up to the gay agenda

I think the penalty is vastly more than is really warranted but I also have no money to donate to them nor would I because like...Oregon? Yeah you don't need my money.

Still need gas money. Please pay me.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
yeah you forgot the "500k" part op lol. it was literally a scam, and a great one, everybody won

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

I think the penalty is vastly more than is really warranted but I also have no money to donate to them nor would I because like...Oregon? Yeah you don't need my money.

Still need gas money. Please pay me.

Agreed, let's gas the op

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

yeah you forgot the "500k" part op lol. it was literally a scam, and a great one, everybody won

the treacherous gay/baker alliance comes out on top

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

That's an amazing scam they pulled off together.

Anyone want to do a scam with me? Like maybe I'm a pillow maker and you come in to buy a pillow for your GF after her abortion and I refuse to sell you one because of my beliefs and whatnot.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
That fine has to be big so that the next whiny bigot will think twice before breaking the law.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Blue Train posted:

well poo poo looks like I gotta get into the homophobia business

who wants me to call them a human being to get this whole thing started? I'll split the profits 80-20

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
My emotions have no value. I accepted this a long, long time ago.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

almost 40% of the compensation for the Christian emotional suffering lawsuit (with half as many victims) that was the justification for this ruling
http://www.oregon.gov/boli/SiteAssets/pages/press/Sweet%20Cakes%20FO.pdf

gays getting about 1/5 of what Christians get under similar circumstances is hysterically over the top and frivolous anti-Christian bigotry and political corectness run amok, tbh, thanks for exposing it with a lil humor, my racist uncle over christmas dinner

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

pff who needs facts

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
I'm not sure if I buy the religious justification. Does the bible say anything about not baking homo cakes?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

drowningidiot posted:

I'm not sure if I buy the religious justification. Does the bible say anything about not baking homo cakes?

it's right after the section about abortion

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nigmaetcetera posted:

My emotions have no value. I accepted this a long, long time ago.

yup

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
time to sell the forums lowtax

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
penoise

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, that's not about emotional damages having a dollar value. That's a social sanction that they were forced to pay for being stupid bigots and illegally discriminating. Sorry fuckers, NOWHERE ANYWHERE IN ANY GODDAMN RELIGION DOES IT SAY, YOU CAN'T BAKE A PRETTY CAKE FOR SOME LEZZIES!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
___________ offends my beliefs as a christian
        noun

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

drowningidiot posted:

Homo is a slur jackass. Are you that low class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

The Sphinxster posted:

Homo is a slur jackass. Are you that low class?

Don't harass the poor on this forum please

• Locked thread