Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Roy posted:

Don't harass the poor on this forum please

Being a dumb idiot isn't a protected class yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

gary oldmans diary posted:

__POOP_____ offends my beliefs as a christian
        noun

Mad libs are fun

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Saying there is no religious basis for their bigotry is not true.

"Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom—both young and old—surrounded the house. They called to Lot, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them.”

Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him and said, “No, my friends. Don’t do this wicked thing. Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don’t do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof.” "
-Genesis 19:4-8

These verses imply that part of the reason Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed was rampant homosexuality.

"“‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable." -Leviticus 18:22

"Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, because this is how the nations that I am going to drive out before you became defiled. Even the land was defiled; so I punished it for its sin, and the land vomited out its inhabitants. But you must keep my decrees and my laws. The native-born and the foreigners residing among you must not do any of these detestable things, for all these things were done by the people who lived in the land before you, and the land became defiled. And if you defile the land, it will vomit you out as it vomited out the nations that were before you." -Leviticus 18:24

Probably the most direct, clear, and straightforward anti-homosexual commands in the Bible. In this part of Leviticus homosexuality is declared unlawful and it is stated that this kind of behavior defiles not just the people of a land but the land itself.

"Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error." - Romans 1:26-27

This is where homosexuality is discussed in the NT and is continued to be viewed as unnatural and sinful.

I believe that exhausts the Bible's account of homosexuality. Also, there is not one example of a biblical homosexual marriage. The institution of marriage is laid out in Genesis and has always been between one man and woman.

"That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh." Genesis 2:24

Therefore, taking a practice that is biblically unnatural and sinful and placing it within a sacred religious sacrament is particularly offensive to fundamentalist Christians.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Mad libs are fun

CowOnCrack posted:

"Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom—both young and old—surrounded the house. They called to Lot, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them.”

Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him and said, “No, my friends. Don’t do this wicked thing. Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don’t do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof.” "

These verses imply that part of the reason Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed was rampant homosexuality.

"“‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable." -Leviticus 18:22

"Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, because this is how the nations that I am going to drive out before you became defiled. Even the land was defiled; so I punished it for its sin, and the land vomited out its inhabitants. But you must keep my decrees and my laws. The native-born and the foreigners residing among you must not do any of these detestable things, for all these things were done by the people who lived in the land before you, and the land became defiled. And if you defile the land, it will vomit you out as it vomited out the nations that were before you." -Leviticus 18:24

Probably the most direct, clear, and straightforward anti-homosexual commands in the Bible. In this part of Leviticus homosexuality is declared unlawful and it is stated that this kind of behavior defiles not just the people of a land but the land itself.

"Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error." - Romans 1:26-27

This is where homosexuality is discussed in the NT and is continued to be viewed as unnatural and sinful.

I believe that exhausts the Bible's account of homosexuality. Also, there is not one example of a biblical homosexual marriage. The institution of marriage is laid out in Genesis and has always been between one man and woman.

"That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh." Genesis 2:24

Therefore, taking a practice that is biblically unnatural and sinful and placing it within a sacred religious sacrament is particularly offensive to fundamentalist Christians.
ha ha!

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

CowOnCrack posted:

This is actually just a quote about the great Greek anal herpes epedemic of 400 BC. Fun fact that's how Socrates really died.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Cubone posted:

almost 40% of the compensation for the Christian emotional suffering lawsuit (with half as many victims) that was the justification for this ruling
http://www.oregon.gov/boli/SiteAssets/pages/press/Sweet%20Cakes%20FO.pdf

gays getting about 1/5 of what Christians get under similar circumstances is hysterically over the top and frivolous anti-Christian bigotry and political corectness run amok, tbh, thanks for exposing it with a lil humor, my racist uncle over christmas dinner

I think you may be taking this too seriously.

also lol

lawsuits

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

osirisisdead posted:

Yeah, that's not about emotional damages having a dollar value. That's a social sanction that they were forced to pay for being stupid bigots and illegally discriminating. Sorry fuckers, NOWHERE ANYWHERE IN ANY GODDAMN RELIGION DOES IT SAY, YOU CAN'T BAKE A PRETTY CAKE FOR SOME LEZZIES!

woah intense posts itt

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
your jokes didn't work because the premise was stupid and wrong.
humor is not a megaphone for you to fart in, retard.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
cake gay, so what

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

Cubone posted:

almost 40% of the compensation for the Christian emotional suffering lawsuit (with half as many victims) that was the justification for this ruling
http://www.oregon.gov/boli/SiteAssets/pages/press/Sweet%20Cakes%20FO.pdf

gays getting about 1/5 of what Christians get under similar circumstances is hysterically over the top and frivolous anti-Christian bigotry and political corectness run amok, tbh, thanks for exposing it with a lil humor, my racist uncle over christmas dinner

poo poo I'm surprised their lawyer didn't just shout out numbers like an auction. Relative comparisons of value in terms of damage, especially psychological, is fantastic at best but horrifically stupid at worst. Too bad the latter is more common. If a Christian woman can equate being in a Scientology seminar as worse than the PTSD that could result from numerous accounts of sexual harassment, then this gay couple should be receiving double what they got. It does not help that the Christian couple managed to raise about 400k. That is ridiculous. Apparently they were already failing financially and they really wanted some "American Dream" poo poo out of this. Past it onto the family and all that garbage. Donations are ongoing as well, with people donating as we speak. The comments are great.

Anonymous posted:

Keep the faith... your not alone...we will retake our nation...you have waken many people up to the fact of the takeover... Now it is our turn to take what has been taken and more..
the south will rise again

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

CowOnCrack posted:

But don’t do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof.”

i found the important bit of your very olng ironice post

hospitality was v important in near and middle eastern culture and therefore in xtianity and god would probably turn these bakers into pillars of salt for disrespecting guests in their home and business

Aug 4, 2010

i slipped and dislocated my knee and got £6,000 compensation, they got their feelings hurt and get $135,000?

gently caress gays

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The damages from reading the op alone is in the hundreds of thousands

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Cubone posted:

your jokes didn't work because the premise was stupid and wrong.
humor is not a megaphone for you to fart in, retard.

Man I'm getting cuboned over here

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

boom boom boom posted:

Would they have paid the same penalty for refusing to serve a black couple?

blacks don't get married

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
My beautiful avatar

noooooooooo

You beat me Cubone, you beat me alright? ALRIGHT!?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Got fined $130k
Raised $300k or so from donations from outraged Christians

Oh noooo, we really learned our lesson and will never discriminate again.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Guess social media works both ways.

And of course, everyone gets seething mad when folks pony up cash to help cops who killed black people too. Guess that's democracy.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

netally posted:

Got fined $130k
Raised $300k or so from donations from outraged Christians

Oh noooo, we really learned our lesson and will never discriminate again.

mammon pays well to victims who worship him

sucks to be the worshippers who were duped in the process to make it happen

mammon is a lazy god

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My happiness that some homophobes are out over $100k for their stupid bigotry outweighs the irritation I feel for some folks getting $100K for some sad feels.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Jastiger posted:

My happiness that some homophobes are out over $100k for their stupid bigotry outweighs the irritation I feel for some folks getting $100K for some sad feels.

but how do you feel about the fact those homophobes made over $500k from donations from crazy people before having to pay out that $100k

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Because if you're gay, they could total out to $135,000.

http://5newsonline.com/2015/12/29/bakery-pays-135000-after-denying-service-to-same-sex-couple/

I am emotionally damaged and desire compensation from Lowtax for having to read posts in DnD. My damages should come out to about 1 million dollars.

Someone DID say "here's your gay sandwich, you gay fuckwad" to me the last time I was at burger king.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

CharlestonJew posted:

but how do you feel about the fact those homophobes made over $500k from donations from crazy people before having to pay out that $100k

Everyone wins, except those retarded enough to think they'e donating to a church and not a bakery

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestonJew posted:

Makes me mad, but better than them getting to keep it all.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like $135k is a ridiculous sum.

CharlestonJew posted:

it makes me want to drink

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

I feel like $135k is a ridiculous sum.

it makes me want to drink

yeah for $135K they can have a low-end high-end wedding that covers more than just the cake!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think they should pass legislation barring donations going to people to pay for their criminal trials from people who don't personally or haven't at least met the person in real life because imo this pattern of 'be a bigot to the point of breaking the law, make tons of money from it' is kind of disconcerting. You shouldn't be rewarded for breaking the law or acting unlawfully.

Make cap the donations at whatever their legal or attorney fees are - at least prevent profits.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

I think they should pass legislation barring donations going to people to pay for their criminal trials from people who don't personally or haven't at least met the person in real life because imo this pattern of 'be a bigot to the point of breaking the law, make tons of money from it' is kind of disconcerting. You shouldn't be rewarded for breaking the law or acting unlawfully.

Make cap the donations at whatever their legal or attorney fees are - at least prevent profits.

I really am not sure that's a very good idea. It would prevent any people who genuinely need financial aid for legal help and cannot get it from their local social services to reach out to the greater global community in a plea for help.

Like, sometimes lovely people benefit from generosity, but it is still a good thing to have generosity be an option.

EDIT: Setting a cap might mean that good lawyers would never look at these cases for being too low-value and it might not be able to take into account the cost of appeals, extensions of the case, a hung jury, or daily expenses accrued when you have to take time off your work in order to focus full time on your legal case or if your legal case is related to you being unable to work.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

I really am not sure that's a very good idea. It would prevent any people who genuinely need financial aid for legal help and cannot get it from their local social services to reach out to the greater global community in a plea for help.

Like, sometimes lovely people benefit from generosity, but it is still a good thing to have generosity be an option.

It's not even not a very good idea, it's a really terrible idea because criminals tend to be poors

Also this wasn't even a criminal case :downs:

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

CowOnCrack posted:

So after reading this, why aren't all Christians in the USA starting an armed insurrection? So they are now denying their faith by pledging allegiance to the US of A?
You can't be both a Christian and a Citizen at the same time.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mdm posted:

It's not even not a very good idea, it's a really terrible idea because criminals tend to be poors

Also this wasn't even a criminal case :downs:

yeah I bet there's a ton of people handing out cash to poor people for their legal troubles in the hundreds of thousands of dollars

so what about capping donations for civil cases then?

EDIT: Setting a cap might mean that good lawyers would never look at these cases for being too low-value and it might not be able to take into account the cost of appeals, extensions of the case, a hung jury, or daily expenses accrued when you have to take time off your work in order to focus full time on your legal case or if your legal case is related to you being unable to work.

eh maybe. just let donations happen and put them in a trust account and if at the end of everything there is money left over return it to the people who donated. doesn't seem like it would change anything to me.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I could be quite gay.....

For one hundred and thirty five kay!

Sign me up.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

eh maybe. just let donations happen and put them in a trust account and if at the end of everything there is money left over return it to the people who donated. doesn't seem like it would change anything to me.

Who enforces it? Who pays the people who enforce this? It's not as simple as all that.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
The guy that bumped his head on a cruise ship door got $21 million so I think some hurt feelers due to discrimination could be worth 135k

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
yeah seems like a pretty daunting rule for such a remote "problem"

it's hard to stop stupid people from giving money to others for free

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Who enforces it? Who pays the people who enforce this? It's not as simple as all that.

The IRS? Whoever is in charge of political campaign donations?

Just make it work like campaign donations; make it so people receiving have to declare them and if they don't and it's found out later then they get hosed. We already have ways for doing this.

mdm posted:

yeah seems like a pretty daunting rule for such a remote "problem"

it's hard to stop stupid people from giving money to others for free

Not really? Once you get over $14k in gifts in a year you're required to report them and pay taxes on it so you already can't just get $500k 'for free,' I'm just saying categorize donations for civil trials a little differently.

If you get a bonus at work you're required to report it and it is taxed at 40%. Idk why you think the flow of money isn't highly regulated already and if you put down $500k in income suddenly on your tax forms then you can sure as poo poo be certain they'll look at you a little more closely.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 30, 2015

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
yes of course there are tax consequences the "for free" part is that the bakery people did nothing, and people gave them money for it, meaning they gave them money for free.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

PowerBuilder3 posted:

So after reading this, why aren't all Christians in the USA starting an armed insurrection? So they are now denying their faith by pledging allegiance to the US of A?
You can't be both an Honest and Good Christian and a Good American Citizen at the same time.

Bolded part is true. The 1st amendment is incompatible with theocracy :(

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

please support my kickstarter. for every $1 donated i will hate a gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

PowerBuilder3 posted:

You can't be both a Christian and a Citizen at the same time.

Weeeeelllllll.

• Locked thread