Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

CowOnCrack posted:

Denying performing a service because the service itself violates religious creed versus denying an ordinary service that violates no creed to specific persons for some unchangeable characteristic they possess. The first is lawful under the first ammendment as freedom of religious expression which is a civil right, the second is an infringement on the civil liberties of citizens.

Indeed, that's why the bakery got hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Aren't fines like these more based on how much the offenders can pay than how much the victims deserve? Its hard to put a pricetag on emotional suffering but its pretty easy to look at some person or company's tax info and go "yup this much of a fine will hurt you enough to think twice about what you did but not ruin your business"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

Aren't fines like these more based on how much the offenders can pay than how much the victims deserve? Its hard to put a pricetag on emotional suffering but its pretty easy to look at some person or company's tax info and go "yup this much of a fine will hurt you enough to think twice about what you did but not ruin your business"

Usually you have to demonstrate some actual numbers... if I remember right the way they do emotional damages is there's this big list of effects (insomnia, loss of appetite, etc. basically all the effects of a super traumatic or stressful event) and then for every one of those they award money

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

Usually you have to demonstrate some actual numbers... if I remember right the way they do emotional damages is there's this big list of effects (insomnia, loss of appetite, etc. basically all the effects of a super traumatic or stressful event) and then for every one of those they award money
Right but like you could get more money suing walmart than some local mom and pop store this way right.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

Emotional damages is some gay poo poo.

I wish I could afford to file lawsuits against people who hurt my feelings.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TontoCorazon posted:

I took a nap earlier and had some pretty weird dreams. I at least deserve a nice night on the town.

Dude. No av, no posting. We've been over this.

Emotional suffering COULD be at play here because if the bakers are getting $500K for their "fight" it isn't a stretch to imagine those same donors were making the lesbian couples life hell on social media or even personal attacks/insults.

I mean it sounds like a lot of money, but if everyone kept harassing my family over a period of time for filing a law suit or complaint, compensation could totally be in order.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Agreed. Additionally, more people should learn the language of Louisville Slugger. It speaks in a very harsh, forceful language that everyone seems to understand very quickly

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

Right but like you could get more money suing walmart than some local mom and pop store this way right.

No the determining of emotional damages doesn't have anything to do with how much money the party being sued has. You could pursue punitive damages but usually you have to prove they acted with malice or something like that. Emotional damages are compensatory; they're only there to make the victim whole again as best as possible.

if i recall correctly

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

TEAH SYAG posted:

Agreed. Additionally, more people should learn the language of Louisville Slugger. It speaks in a very harsh, forceful language that everyone seems to understand very quickly

What? Woah now

I am not advocating for anyone to get assaulted with a baseball bat.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

What? Woah now

I am not advocating for anyone to get assaulted with a baseball bat.

Woah? We're talking linguistics here!

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
why would you sue a kosher deli for not selling you a product they don't carry in the first place

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

You know real churches like the Vatican debated the whole 'can you be a loyal subject and a Christian' thing centuries ago, but I'm sure the world can't wait to hear what a bunch of part time lawyers and full time conmen who have probably never even read the Bible outside well known Republican talking points have to say.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

No the determining of emotional damages doesn't have anything to do with how much money the party being sued has. You could pursue punitive damages but usually you have to prove they acted with malice or something like that. Emotional damages are compensatory; they're only there to make the victim whole again as best as possible.

if i recall correctly
Oh lame, then yeah i think its kind of dumb. As a fine that's paid to the victim it makes sense but i don't really see how you can put a price on the suffering itself particularly when stuff like work related physical injuries are so common and pay much less.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Strategic Tea posted:

You know real churches like the Vatican debated the whole 'can you be a loyal subject and a Christian' thing centuries ago, but I'm sure the world can't wait to hear what a bunch of part time lawyers and full time conmen who have probably never even read the Bible outside well known Republican talking points have to say.

Its more a criticism that holding to Christian values tends to be undemocratic and violate a lot of the Bill of Rights like thought crime, cruel punishment, and slavery.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Americans have forgotten their own history.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

the oregon bureau of labor and industries doesn't have the ability to impose fines or civil penalties for breaking anti-discrimination laws. this isn't a personal injury suit. the emotional damage charges are the legal penalty. it's designed this way so that the illegal conduct is redressed for the specific individuals found to have been harmed.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
The assumption of bigotry in this case is actually bigotry.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Ork of Fiction posted:

The assumption of bigotry in this case is actually bigotry.

Dude all you have to do is ask the white, straight dudes who post here and they'll tell you that bigotry can't hurt. So if you claim to have been the target of bigotry you should be subjected to slurs attacking your sexuality. It's perfectly simple.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
My sexuality is a fortress. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
BTW, I tried to imagine a scenario where the cake people went in and explained that they want a special W4W cake and the bakers politely declined saying that they couldn't do so and still feel comfortable knowing that they would be helping someone down the path toward eternal torment and wished them a good day or whatever, but I just started laughin a little and shaking my head, because no.. that probably is not how it occurred.

• Locked thread