Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Bruce Arians is probably hard as poo poo right now. He loving hates Chip Kelly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm sure Clay Helton is fine but keep the interim tag on him for another month and now you have the chance to put Chip Kelly in charge of USC, which would probably work out extremely well.

I think Helton will be fine and it'll be nice for USC to have some stability for once. And I don't think Chip is going back to college.

I hope the Chargers hire him

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Ross Angeles posted:

Chip Kelly won 10 games his first two years with nick foles and mark sanchez
Then he wanted to be GM too because his ego got the best of him

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Fired on his day off

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

axeil posted:

So the more I think about it, the more sure I am that Kelly is not getting fired.

My rationale:

1. Two 10 win seasons.

Say what you will about last year, but usually going 10-6 is enough to get you in the playoffs. The NFC had a strong year last year, so it wasn't enough but I find it hard to fault him for that.

2. Full Control

The entire scouting department, personnel office, etc just changed to be what Chip wants. To fire him now would mean you're now going to have another year of restructuring everything. Even more insane are the idiots in the Philly media who think Lurie should strip Kelly's GM powers. Which would yield the same lack of consistency and cause problems.

3. Carolina/Cincy

Look at what Marvin Lewis and Ron Rivera have done during their career. Lewis had not just one, but two 4 win seasons and now the Bengals are a powerhouse. Similarly, Rivera looked absolutely hopeless back in 2012 but ownership was patient and he's now going to have either a 14 or 15 win season. Knee-jerk firing simply is not a winning strategy in the NFL. For an example of what it does, take a look at the Browns.

4. He Finally Has A QB

Kelly has said the #1 priority in the offseason is signing Sam long-term, which is really exciting. He had a rough start to the year, but once he figured things out, man has he looked good. I think with a full offseason to train and Kelly upgrading the OL and teaching the WRs how to catch, Sam could be something really special. If you can Kelly, who's to say his replacement wouldn't jettison Bradford?

5. Bright Spots

The season sucked as a whole, but there were plenty of glimmers of hope. Look at the game against the Patriots, or the game against the Giants. This team is one that can play well at times, they're just horribly inconsistent. I say you give Kelly another year to coach the players up and give them a chance to stop being so Jekyll and Hyde.

Basically, yes the season was super frustrating for Philly fans. However, that doesn't mean that emotional knee-jerk reactions are going to fix anything. Now if things are as bad or worse next year? Then yeah, maybe you make a change. But firing a coach simply because the media and fans over-hyped the team and were disappointed when their delusions didn't come true is insane.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Winkie01 posted:

Chip Kelly gets fired after 1 bad year. Jeff Fisher keeps his job after 20 bad years.

Last season was a little disappointing, but poo poo happens/Nick Foles and loving Mark Sanchez were the quarterbacks. Bradford was playing out of his mind the last couple of games, all the offense needed was some better guard and wide receiver play to be consistent again. The defense was great until everyone dropped dead.

Gave him complete control of the team, then decided to blow it up completely less than a year later. Brilliant.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Fired over 1 losing season. drat near Brownsesque.

Too wild for me.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Ross Angeles posted:

Chip Kelly won 10 games his first two years with nick foles and mark sanchez

And then dumped all his good players for Sam Bradford and some random dudes.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

Then he wanted to be GM too because his ego got the best of him

yeah pretty much. Good coach, lovely GM

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
gently caress this, gently caress Philly, gently caress this god drat dumbass team, FUUUUUCCK

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

davecrazy posted:

Yeah, he's a bad GM. Good coach though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Athanatos posted:

What staff positions are going to be open on the Titans?

All of them?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Everyone pile into #NFL on synirc

This is always the right solution.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I don't know, I'm guessing the damage to the Eagles is going to be irreparable at best

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I would be fairly surprised if Chip returns to college, although I suppose tons of teams will roll out Harbaugh-esque offers which might be hard to turn down.

He had moments of success with the Eagles, and it could all work out with a new team, but drat would he need to be OK with someone else overseeing his personnel moves.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Fuuuuuuuuuuuck

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Tom Coughlin likely keeps his job even though the Giants will miss the playoffs for the fourth year in a row.

Jason Garrett somehow still has his job after only having 1 good season.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

HOLY loving poo poo

LIKE HOLY poo poo

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Part of the reason he was let go was everytime his phone rang he's answer it by going "Marcus?! ohh...hi..."

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
http://tinychat.com/edp445

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Vengarr posted:

. Bradford was playing out of his mind the last couple of games, all the offense needed was some better guard and wide receiver play to be consistent again.

This is overselling how well Bradford was and also the reason that they need better guards and receivers is because he got rid of the really good ones already on the team!

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Ross Angeles posted:

I think Helton will be fine and it'll be nice for USC to have some stability for once. And I don't think Chip is going back to college.

I hope the Chargers hire him

I hear rumors that Sean Peyton wants to be HC of the Chargers.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
TA&M won't be able to fire Sumlin fast enough.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

davecrazy posted:

Well he replaced McCoy with DeMarco Murray, which...well it looked fine on paper!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Grittybeard posted:

All of them?

HC Titans Chip Kelly.

Book it.

It's done.

He's not even going to take pay.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

:suicide:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Dont like the move from Philly.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Unless things are way worse behind the scenes then we know this is a knee jerk move.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Brb preparing a noose

YMB
Nov 8, 2009

in an unceremonious way
There's no way this is just a sudden reaction. Something was happening behind the scenes. Not sure what, maybe some stories will come out soon.

I can't stop laughing.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Fly with me posted:

I hear rumors that Sean Peyton wants to be HC of the Chargers.

I would also be happy with that.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Crazy Ted posted:

Well he replaced McCoy with DeMarco Murray, which...well it looked fine on paper!

And he replaced Evan Mathis, DeSean Jackson, and Jeremy Maclin with a WR from Vanderbilt who can't catch and...uh...

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If he goes back to college, does he plow through Black Lives Matter protesters with the Madden Cruiser?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Bring in Payton and Brees....

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Crazy Ted posted:

What, no it didnt. People were immediately discussing how bad a fit Murray is in Chips scheme.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

commy gun posted:

Unless things are way worse behind the scenes then we know this is a knee jerk move.

They almost have to be I'd think. The Eagles aren't the Steelers but they don't seem like a completely impatient organization.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Jota posted:

This is overselling how well Bradford was and also the reason that they need better guards and receivers is because he got rid of the really good ones already on the team!

Herremans is a free agent right now. Mathis has barely played all season for the Broncos. Those guys weren't solving our problems.

DeSean was absolutely a stupid move. The Chiefs overpaid for Maclin and they thought the guys they already had would step up.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

YMB posted:

There's no way this is just a sudden reaction. Something was happening behind the scenes. Not sure what, maybe some stories will come out soon.

I can't stop laughing.

The former GM who got "promoted" to personnel director or whatever, Roseman(?), he must still have Lurie's ear and been making power plays to counter Chip's power play from last year.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

My head is spinning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Pat Shurmur will be the interim head coach for Sunday.

• Locked thread