Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I remember as recently as 6 or 7 years ago you could dick around on ebay and find all kinds of cool stuff for cheap because people had extra crap and wanted to get rid of it at a fair price.

Now, everything is vintage and rare. This person is selling a coffee can for $20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-RAR...cUAAOSwNphWaORu

This person is selling a t-shirt that would have been $5 back in 2007 but is now vintage and $45. I would have bought and worn this ironically for $5. $45? Not so much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-198...DEAAOSw7FRWXlhM

Here is a chipmunk thing that is broken and they want $20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Home-Interiors-Chipmunk-/161926222197?hash=item25b38e1175:g:dyIAAOSwd4tULM57

Why do people waste their time when this poo poo will never sell? Why not put a reasonable price on things? Where can I get a good deal on ironic poo poo these days?!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
I didnt even know people still used ebay

shits wild!

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
what should i use instead of ebay

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Probably a response to Etsy. If I had to guess.

That and how China will produce cheap new poo poo that costs the same as old used poo poo.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
It's still great for camera equipment. Also, if it says "or best offer" you can usually negotiate a significantly lower price of you are at all good at haggling.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
craigslist is better

although occasionally you'll go to pick up a table and end up sucking off some hunky dude

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Ebay is fine just gotta only show "used" and "auction" hope this helps and the whole thing is so loving biased in favor of the buyer you can't go wrong

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Bobcats posted:

Ebay is fine just gotta only show "used" and "auction" hope this helps and the whole thing is so loving biased in favor of the buyer you can't go wrong

All of those results were from used and auction listings.

As is this one. A Jackson Browne (they loving spelled it wrong) t-shirt in lovely condition for $100!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JACKSON-BRO...voAAOSwEetV80Y-

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

wiffle ball bat posted:

what should i use instead of ebay

I have a friend who used to make a decent side income off of going to garage sales and reselling on eBay, but in the last few years he moved to selling on Amazon. He claims that's where everyone who does what he does (mostly stuff like collectors edition barbies and old BSG toys) is using amazon now.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
When it became impossible to sell stuff and not get ripped off by buyers. hth

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe don't look for overpriced hipster garbage on ebay ?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

if you're looking for clothing to wear ironically you deserve to get hosed on the price hth

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Maybe don't look for overpriced hipster garbage on ebay ?

I've actually just been typing in random words and sorting by ends soonest and seeing what is there. Turns out overpriced hipster garbage is all there is.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
when amazon.com became a real thing

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Speaking as a manchild ebay is reasonably good for 40k stuff.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
selling poo poo on ebay is sketchy as gently caress now because buyers can basically say anything and get their money back. and you're hosed.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

May I interest anyone in a $5 tube of chapstick (after shipping?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chapstick-Classic-Cherry-With-Heart-Balm-One-Tube-/161926027395?hash=item25b38b1883:g:lnEAAOxy0zhTNxb9

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Craigslist for local deals, Amazon for well priced new goods. Ebay still uses PayPal too, ughhh.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Basically doing anything on eBay at all is a huge hassle now so no one bothers but scammers

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
If you actually still even remember your ebay log-in details literally kill yourself, take your own life, do it now coward.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ork of Fiction posted:

Probably a response to Etsy. If I had to guess.

That and how China will produce cheap new poo poo that costs the same as old used poo poo.

it's a response to amazon, ebay turned to poo poo when amazon cost them most their sales and they turned it into a buyers market. this has happened to goons: in modern ebay, if the (in this story it was a rare baseball card a goon was selling) buyer claims the object was ruined or lovely, without even looking into it they refund half or all of the money, and they can do this because they own your money too since ebay and paypal are the same.

i guess he had put the card under glass and took pictures of it and everything and the guy got it and was like 'it was covered in milk and rolled up in a ball' and they just gave his money

anyway: in terms of cornering a niche market, etsy is a cool concept but also a loving joke, go pull it up right now and 3/4 of everything is chinese factory junk pretending to be part of the hand made community. so to sell on etsy you have to essentially attach your real life personality to it, make some awkward blog, and prove that you're really making the hello kitty christmas tree lights you're selling or people won't trust it

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
My friend's old roommate would sell her used underwear on Craigslist and would meet at the mall food court to make the switch. Don't think you can do that on ebay.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
I use eBay every day as I am a collector of fine Nazi memorabilia and Billy Beer pull-tab cans.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Are you saying ebay is no longer the place for me to sell my old electronics? Cause i have an xbox 360 thats been sitting unused for a few months, and in a another few months I'll consider selling it. Should i sell it in the classifieds in my local paper?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
someone sold me a ps2 there once that said something about cosmetic damage but the actual item had half a motherboard rattling inside
of course i (like most people) had precisely the other half of that specific motherboard so i merely reattached it on a molecular level
i lost the dispute on this because "well he did say it was damaged" according to a moron that wouldnt know what "cosmetic" meant or that without any working internals it is no more a ps2 than a can of beans is a time machine

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Ebay owns for the ebay stores being an Amazon Prime equivalent without the membership fee. Free shipping on everything and I usually get it all within a couple days anyway. I've even found shops that have their own sites or also on Amazon and everything with them is $5+ shipping, but is free shipping on ebay, so I just use their ebay store and save a few bucks.
Also, lots of weird poo poo directly from Chinese factories almost at-cost.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, the direct from china poo poo is the bomb. Basically 80% of poo poo i buy from ebay is from china while the other 20% is from former soviet satellite nations. Just read feedback, it's not hard.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

I got a radioactive glowing keychain and a battery charger + extra battery for my phone off eBay and they both came when I expected, so idk. I can say that I wouldn't buy anything off ebay that was really expensive or something super fragile. Save that poo poo for Amazon and their kickass return policy

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

City of Tampa posted:

selling poo poo on ebay is sketchy as gently caress now because buyers can basically say anything and get their money back. and you're hosed.

You can't even leave negative feedback for buyers anymore if they pull this poo poo because ebay's worried it'll hurt the feels of giant asian ebay resellers who do exactly this and cause them to abandon the site

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

In ontario we use kijiji

Lotta fine sleds on kijiji

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I found a great deal, 8 used up ebay gift cards for only $10

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-EBAY-GIFT...yoAAOSwUdlWfIz8

Oh! And a household scale from 1995 for $20! Vintage! The shipping is only $36!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sun...PAAAOSw0HVWAN9l

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
eBay's fees are stupid and lovely now and it's not really worth selling anything for cheap anymore because the margins are so thin that they get blown away by the fees

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Do you get charged for auctions that no one bids on? I assume not because of all these loving stupid auctions. Seems like a 10% fee of your listing price if no one bids would clean things up. I guess you could have a friend bid, but you'd still lose out on fees.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Why'd you give me a negative feedback bro you got the vintage coffee pot you bid on. That's on you now.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Noblesse Obliged posted:

In ontario we use kijiji

Lotta fine sleds on kijiji

Are there any big sleds?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've not been on eBay for a long time, but going back now I do see there are a lot more sort of oddball collectibles on there than I see on Amazon or anyone else.

I do know someone who had an issue with eBay years ago where someone had written them and informed them they were selling a counterfeit item and they needed to pull their auction immediately. They think it was part of a con to get them to sell the item for less than the auction would have ended for outside of eBay, thouhg.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

OctoberBlues posted:

Oh! And a household scale from 1995 for $20! Vintage! The shipping is only $36!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sun...PAAAOSw0HVWAN9l

They cracked down on that years ago because so many people were doing poo poo like listing an item for $1 and then charging $30 for shipping to avoid paying fees.

Of course they did this by just auto-cancelling anything that was reported as having excessive shipping without doing any actual human checks so a lot of auctions with reasonable shipping were cancelled due to reports from people selling competing items.

EDIT: Oh, and they threatened to cancel my cousin's account for "racist remarks" because he had to call their support system and afterwards complained that the person he talked to didn't speak English. This wasn't some redneck-style complaining about talking to someone with an accent in India, but rather that the service representative didn't understand spoken English at all and couldn't even begin to help him no matter how slowly and simply he explained and repeated things.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 30, 2015

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Gotta sell those cake molds from thrift stores for insane profits! Also shipping and Obama makes the prices unreasonable for the cake man boutique.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Buy poo poo on Amazon? Always works for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

gnarlyhotep posted:

Buy poo poo on Amazon? Always works for me