Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

OctoberBlues posted:

I don't have a problem with it, I'm just jealous you still have cheap thrift stores.

I have a problem with people who try to sell t-shirts for $45 just because they were made in the 80s. So I guess if you do that, I do have a problem with you.

Yeah, I don't really mess with clothes because they're a pain in the rear end. I mostly sell non-unique items but if I find something unique, it's hard to know what someone will pay so I might set the price high at first to gauge interest and make sure I don't lowball myself. Otherwise, my strategy for everything else is to buy poo poo for next to nothing and then undercut everyone else so I sell right away and then i can reinvest that money.

Goodwill is pretty much poo poo. I prefer local thrift stores because they tend to pretty much give away stuff because they don't have the manpower to handle all the donations they get. Plus my money probably actually helps people, unlike at Goodwill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

It unquestionably is because it's total garbage for us. The whole point of asking you guys to ship us things using only the USPS is to take a chance that the package could make it across the border without being assessed duties and brokerage; the GSP guarantees we always pay the highest possible combination of both.

Oh I'm Canadian, I meant "good for me" in the sense that even Drunk Professor Shark is still horrified by the ridiculous shipping prices.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah it's loving awful. A few US sellers who I thought were cool and I made deals with exchanged small talk with ended up banning canadian buyers because "too many complaints about shipping prices" after they refused to ever not use that awful system.

I used to buy a poo poo load of stuff on ebay, only got hit with customs once and it was because it was well over $200. But anything less, never.

I'm noticing that sellers are getting grumpy about Canadians the few and far between times I browse. Ebay really pushes the GSP on sellers in the US and tells them that it's great for them and their customers, and I guess sellers are blaming buyers when they get negative feedback because the buyer had to pay twice the amount for shipping instead of eBay and their dumb deal with UPS.

Most sellers I come across who use it have no problem relisting the auction without it, and I've done that a few times. One time the seller told me he would USPS it, but would be tacking on money for gas for the 17 min drive to the Post Office, I told him not to bother.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I was looking for a case of monster and all i could find were people trying to sell them for $5 a can lmao

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

exethan posted:

I was looking for a case of monster and all i could find were people trying to sell them for $5 a can lmao

Well they were probably vintage. They age like a fine wine, ya know?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Professor Shark posted:

Oh I'm Canadian, I meant "good for me" in the sense that even Drunk Professor Shark is still horrified by the ridiculous shipping prices.

I'm noticing that sellers are getting grumpy about Canadians the few and far between times I browse. Ebay really pushes the GSP on sellers in the US and tells them that it's great for them and their customers, and I guess sellers are blaming buyers when they get negative feedback because the buyer had to pay twice the amount for shipping instead of eBay and their dumb deal with UPS.

Most sellers I come across who use it have no problem relisting the auction without it, and I've done that a few times. One time the seller told me he would USPS it, but would be tacking on money for gas for the 17 min drive to the Post Office, I told him not to bother.

I specifically offer direct international shipping because it helps me get more sales, especially to Canada. I think a lot of newbie/casual sellers go GSP because they're scared of loving up the shipping and losing money or getting scammed. Some countries like Brazil can be nightmares because their postal system is corrupt/a joke.

I just sold a BOSE remote control to some guy in Chile yesterday, the same day I listed it. Shipping cost him $13. I'm sure he would have gotten raped out the rear end if he paid GSP shipping.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

exethan posted:

"Vintage" 30 gaddam dollars

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-Monster...6.c100408.m2460

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Hey, that's 5% juice, man.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I sell on Ebay as a part of my job. A lot of people are douches or don't understand what they're buying. Some dude bought an iPhone 5c and complained that the item was not genuine because Verizon didn't have sim trays. Like wtf? And I have to refund those assholes because consistently Ebay will side with them pretty much regardless. Some dude is returning his phone because the flash is too bright, and therefore defective. You gently caress asses!

PS if anyone knows better places to sell electronics online id appreciate the intel

Use Amazon for selling electronics or any kind of "media" like CDs, blu ray, DVDs, books, etc. Recently I tried to sell a Wacom tablet I wasn't using, started it at $45 on eBay and there was little interest for a few days until some fucker said he'd buy it for 50 and then flaked out when I actually changed it to a fixed-price at 50. I set it for best offers, and got $25 and $30, so eventually I said "gently caress it" and pulled the auction to list it on Amazon at $55.

Within two hours somebody bought it, and I'd waited like five days on eBay with no real interest apart from people trying to offer me around half of what I was asking.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
This looks like a p. good deal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Apparel-Sexy-Nude-Lace-Print-Bikini-NWT-Size-S-NWT-/400678617326?hash=item5d4a4e80ee:g:l-sAAOxy3HJTJKj2
:barf:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sold some weird 60s video camera to France for like 180 bucks after buying it for 30 from a local thrift store. Started bidding at 99 cents. V nice.

That was years ago.

Yeah, Amazon marketplace is really good cause it's just so much easier to list poo poo. And they don't expire.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also don't be mad at people re-selling poo poo for ridiculous prices, be mad at the people buying at those prices.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Pretty much. Something's only "worth" what you can get for it, and if some yoyo is happy to give him $10 a can for expired energy drinks then yay that guy for thinking of it.

What's the verdict on selling iodine tablets to people in Iowa after Fukushima?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I funded a couple semesters of partying in college through eBay. Went to school in a lovely city with a ton of pawn shops, used to trawl them for music equipment and rare-ish video games. One store got wise and actually started appraising their poo poo.

Also I worked briefly for an electronics recycling warehouse. We used to rebuild computers and resell them on eBay, but the guy they had in charge of that was a moron who didn't know anything about servers, so I scooped up all the Xeon processors and RDRAM that would have ended up being melted for scrap. 2 sticks of 256mb RDRAM sold for like $50 on eBay and they were dumping them by the boxload.

I bought and did a lot of drugs that summer.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

OctoberBlues posted:

Well they were probably vintage. They age like a fine wine, ya know?

This seller has been trying to sell Ruehl clothing (Abercrombie's now defunct "adult" line, I occasionally buy old sweats or something because I liked the style when I was younger) for probably a decade at this point, and he still has some of the same stuff on there that he did when I first started looking because his prices are astronomical. I guess he's waiting for the resurgence of a brand that went out of business due to low sales?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Baronjutter posted:

Also don't be mad at people re-selling poo poo for ridiculous prices, be mad at the people buying at those prices.

The problem most people have with resellers is that they don't actually "sell" anything at those ridiculous prices, they just set stupid prices that nobody pays and then the items sit there forever unbought and they never budge. They're taking items out of circulation and holding them for a ransom and hoping people will want the thing bad enough to eventually cave.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

King Vidiot posted:

The problem most people have with resellers is that they don't actually "sell" anything at those ridiculous prices, they just set stupid prices that nobody pays and then the items sit there forever unbought and they never budge. They're taking items out of circulation and holding them for a ransom and hoping people will want the thing bad enough to eventually cave.

Yeah.

There's so many listings that will just never sell and it's cluttering everything. It's like a badly run auction house in an MMO but eBay doesn't give a poo poo because they're either getting listing fees or the monthly $ from premium sellers.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

This seller has been trying to sell Ruehl clothing (Abercrombie's now defunct "adult" line, I occasionally buy old sweats or something because I liked the style when I was younger) for probably a decade at this point, and he still has some of the same stuff on there that he did when I first started looking because his prices are astronomical. I guess he's waiting for the resurgence of a brand that went out of business due to low sales?

Lmao

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coach-Signature-leather-leash-for-dogs-NIB-authentic-item-/172041242467?nav=SEARCH

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

"PLEASE DON’T WASTE MY TIME BECAUSE I WOULD NOT WASTE YOURS"

*tries to sell a Nautica cap from 1992 for $30*

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Nautica...0IAAOSwSdZWfCQ5

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

OctoberBlues posted:

Nautica hat from '92 for $30 is a steal compared to this Polo Ralph Lauren bucket hat from 200x for $95

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I hope these idiots see that their items are getting a bunch of views and get all excited.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Remember the old trick of selling a yachte and you had to scroll to the bottom on the page and read the small print to discover you would be buying a photo of a yacht lol

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Ebay is cool because they have funny stuff you cant find elsewhere

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Bob Saget IRL posted:

Are you saying ebay is no longer the place for me to sell my old electronics? Cause i have an xbox 360 thats been sitting unused for a few months, and in a another few months I'll consider selling it. Should i sell it in the classifieds in my local paper?

I'll buy it off you.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

OctoberBlues posted:

I hope these idiots see that their items are getting a bunch of views and get all excited.

gently caress with them even more by adding their items to your watch list.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

OctoberBlues posted:

BY THE SOUND OF IT, We've found one of the morbidly obese people who use carts to get around.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Doctor Butts posted:

lol if you didn't already download an emulator and download a rom for every game ever made a decade ago.

Back in '97 when I first discovered NES, SNES, and Sega emulation, I sold my game systems and games to a pawn shop and never regretted it. I was 13 and was like "Welp, no point in spending my money on games ever again. I have all the games I ever wanted to play."

JediTalentAgent posted:

Every so often, I'll see a couple of people at library book sales and Goodwills with something that looks like a barcode reader/smartphone or something scanning the ISBN codes on books before deciding to take them or not. I figured this was part of some book value app or something that they were buying up stuff to flip.

I think I actually pissed one of them off one time because when I saw them I went to an area they hadn't gotten to yet and picked up a few books.

Most Goodwills do this before putting the books out. That's why Goodwill Books often shows up on Amazon used books sellers. If the Goodwill in that territory does this, then all of the books worth money will have been pulled for online sales and only the cheap junk goes out to the stores (they're all run by territories and their quality in an area depends entirely on the general manager and team, as there is no real governing body for the franchise. If you get a greedy GM or whoever is in charge, you're hosed.).
It just means that the person doing the scanning either doesn't know the stores already did it and beat them, or they get into that Metal Detector mode where they are convinced hours of scanning will net a treasure.

My biggest gripe about Goodwills is the power given to the pricers. I've talked about it with employees after noticing a big price jump and they said that some of the retarded prices on things depend on who is working that day, as they have a regular price book they follow, and everything that looks like it's worth something will be looked up online before being priced.
The store I like the most got really bad after they let one lady take over pricing on non-clothing items. They told me that she has a giant pile of price stickers and she's a fanatic about making well past a daily numbers goal, so poo poo that should be 99 cents is priced at $4.99 so she can cheat on the numbers. I stopped buying non-clothes there until the people pricing clothes took this tactic as well and clothes prices almost doubled overnight. Now if I am near there I will go every couple months just to poke around.

Meanwhile the Goodwill down the street from me has people that give no fucks pricing it and trying to get it all out of the door because the store is too small, and I get absurdly low prices on a ton of brand new poo poo that rich college kids dump off there.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

My biggest gripe about Goodwills is the power given to the pricers. I've talked about it with employees after noticing a big price jump and they said that some of the retarded prices on things depend on who is working that day, as they have a regular price book they follow, and everything that looks like it's worth something will be looked up online before being priced.
The store I like the most got really bad after they let one lady take over pricing on non-clothing items. They told me that she has a giant pile of price stickers and she's a fanatic about making well past a daily numbers goal, so poo poo that should be 99 cents is priced at $4.99 so she can cheat on the numbers. I stopped buying non-clothes there until the people pricing clothes took this tactic as well and clothes prices almost doubled overnight. Now if I am near there I will go every couple months just to poke around.

Meanwhile the Goodwill down the street from me has people that give no fucks pricing it and trying to get it all out of the door because the store is too small, and I get absurdly low prices on a ton of brand new poo poo that rich college kids dump off there.

I love when people who have never taken econ 101 or a business class manage poo poo.

"I'll price this at 5x what it should be and make 5x the money! BRILLIANT!"
*sales decrease*

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Haier posted:

Back in '97 when I first discovered NES, SNES, and Sega emulation, I sold my game systems and games to a pawn shop and never regretted it. I was 13 and was like "Welp, no point in spending my money on games ever again. I have all the games I ever wanted to play."

I traded in my NES/SNES/N64 and all game and accessories for them to buy an original Xbox and used the remaining cash from the trade-in to buy and install a mod chip in it. Within a week I had the whole catalogs for all 3 systems on it. I felt a little regret here and there, but mostly because it was a collection I had built up over like a decade vs. half an hour of soldering and downloading.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
eBay turned to poo poo when they banned the 'supernatural' category which was filled with £10,000,000 auctions for SEVEN SUCCUBUS GENIE LAMP ALL MONEY ALL WEALTH ALL WOMEN ANGEL BUY NOW that poo poo was hilarious.

edit; okay no it's still there but it's nowhere near as hilarious as it was: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Psychic-Paranormal-/102513/i.html?_sop=16

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a few ebay sellers me and some friends keep a tab on for years that do the whole "take fairly normal item, jack price up 100x calling it a rare collectible". They never budge. Mostly its' in the world of model trains, but the same attitude can be found in any sort of hobby or anything anyone could possibly "collect". People don't understand things are only worth what other people will pay for them. Maybe that baseball card you had in the 80's was worth $200 but if no one gives a poo poo about baseball cards today, it's not worth that much. Most "collectibles" are just fads, even the long term ones wax and wane in popularity and prices, but people don't get that. If it's old and rare it has to be valuable.

So there's these few sellers that bought up huge amounts of model trains and kept them all MINT and filled with FACTORY AIR and have been trying to sell them for 10x their actual value for years, with no success. Yeah, that $5 box car you bought in the 90's could probably sell for $20 or even $30 now to someone who really really wants it because it's out of production, but not $200. But they've got these ebay stores or what ever with dozens and dozens of things priced in the hundreds or thousands of dollars and as far as we can tell nothing has ever sold. It's specially great because they're often not the only seller of that exact "collectible" item, other people are selling them at their actual value.

A couple times I contacted the seller just to ask what was up, what was their strategy. I sent them links to recent finished sales showing the thing they're trying to sell for $2000 selling for $150. The response was always the same from all of them. "I'm a professional collector I know what my items are worth and I'll not under-value my items like other people!". They have this idea that there's some intrinsic god-given value for a model train rather than "what the market is willing to pay". Or of course from a marxist perspective the true value would be a sum of the labour and materials put into the product with "rareness" or "collectiblity" being ignored.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

At least with CS:GO items on the Marketplace you have people trying to prop up the value of one of their items by making their other, identical item x100%

People are really strange, and it's annoying how they'd rather let their stuff sit in a closet rather than juts take the money on the table.

I once got into a stupid argument with a similar seller and he told me that he didn't care how long it took, he was confident someone would buy his stuff for his ridiculous prices, and that he could wait for a competent buyer. He then banned me from bidding on his items, which I don't actually think he can do.

This all started because I tried to haggle, which really seemed to set him off. I'm guessing he encounters it a lot and has decided that everyone else is the problem.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

It was pretty funny when the PS3 was released and people were paying homeless people to stand in line and buy systems because they figured that they would be worth thousands as it drew closer to Christmas. Many of the early systems sold on eBay were bought by other scalpers who were paying hundreds over retail figuring that they would sell for even more in a couple of weeks. Well, shortly before Christmas everyone who was holding stock dumped them on the internet at once and prices plummeted. It turns out that nobody really wanted them because the system was too expensive and had no worthwile games. Since no end-users wanted them and the market was flooded many were going for MSRP, which was actually less than what you would pay at the store after paying tax and/or shipping.

I'm guessing that a lot of people lost a lot of money doing that.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 31, 2015

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Baronjutter posted:

There's a few ebay sellers me and some friends keep a tab on for years that do the whole "take fairly normal item, jack price up 100x calling it a rare collectible". They never budge.
yeah there's "antique stores" nearby who're like this. I might stop in just on the way to the beach or kill some time if I'm in the area and it seems like they've had the same items each year after year at the same overpriced price. I get wanting some stuff as window-items that you have no intention on selling to get people in but it seems like eventually you'll just end up a store full of occasional browsers who never buy anything.

makes even less sense for online "stores"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Good because merchandise speculators are assholes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, specially in retail where you're paying to store those items in your shop it makes no sense. The key is to keep moving product, a thing taking up space in your shop is costing you money, get rid of it, even at a loss.
There's a pawn shop by my work I used to check out, had a very high turn-over which is what pawn shops need to survive. Prices would keep dropping until the item moved, but the guy was pretty good with his pricing anyways. He knew what to buy the item for and knew what he could sell it for and ran his business accordingly. If he ever hosed up and over-paid, that was his bad and he sold it at a loss to keep poo poo moving.

Well he sold it to his daughter or someone, prices went up and poo poo isn't moving. It's the same old junk every month. lovely dirty used tools selling barely under retail, ancient video game systems selling as if they were rare collectibles. And she isn't taking in new stuff because she doesn't have room for new stuff, but she won't lower prices to move the dead-weight because "i'm a struggling business I can't afford to lower my prices". Well guess what, you're going to be an out of business business if you don't turn over your poo poo.

On ebay though there's no physical store, just some fairly small fees, or no fees if the item doesn't sell. So idiots have no pressure to lower their price or move their product. They can just keep re-listing the same item over and over for years while flipping the gently caress out at anyone who questions the price.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
listen goonsir, I AM sure she watches a lot of History+Discovery+HGTV+Travel channel with those cool documentary shows like: American Pickers, Antique Roadhouse, Allstar Dealers, American Diggers, Auctioneer, Auction Hunters, Auction Kings, Antique Warriors, Storage Wars, Cash in the Attic, Final Offer, Hardcore Pawn, Market Warriors, Junk Gypsies, Pawn Stars, and Toy Hunters

so i'm sure she's a PRO at this so she knows whats she is DOING!!!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Xaris posted:

listen goonsir, I AM sure she watches a lot of History+Discovery+HGTV+Travel channel with those cool documentary shows like: American Pickers, Antique Roadhouse, Allstar Dealers, American Diggers, Auctioneer, Auction Hunters, Auction Kings, Antique Warriors, Storage Wars, Cash in the Attic, Final Offer, Hardcore Pawn, Market Warriors, Junk Gypsies, Pawn Stars, and Toy Hunters

so i'm sure she's a PRO at this so she knows whats she is DOING!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95eUhuR8_ps

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I recently used ebay for the first time in the year 2015 to buy some out of print Chinese girl cartoons. The only scans I could find were loving amateur hour.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

lol. i like the jersey dude twitching there looking like he was going to explode

no wonder every grandma tries to flip old NESs and poo poo because they saw poo poo on hardcore pawn and other bullshit. THEY'RE WORTH $13000! I SAWS IT ON THE EBAYS :byodame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

People who try and jump on collectible/scalping fads are the best. Like all those stupid loving Amiibos that people think their collections are worth hundreds if not thousands despite the fact that they're turned out by the factory by the millions and have absolutely 0 value since they're just injection molded pieces of poo poo with a little NFC chip in the base.

Antique guns, though, guns are one thing (like vintage cars) that are solid investments for collecting. Even things mass produced in the hundreds of millions like M1 Garands consistently increase in price and solidly stay there because they're pieces of history, cultural icons, and mechanically interesting. Look at any vintage gun catalog from the 90's even compared to today. Going even further back, you could buy stuff for a twenty dollar bill in 1950 that are worth thousands now.

• Locked thread