Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
On the subject of Goodwill, has anyone else seen how angry customers in a Goodwill will get over things being priced in ways they don't like by getting really indignant over, "You get all this stuff for free!/Well, my family donates all the time and if you don't adjust this price we're just going to no longer donate items to Goodwill..."

edit: On the way out... "What's your name?! Well, I'm going to get online and send and email to your corporate office, because this is ridiculous... (under their breath) I can't believe they want to charge me $7 for some pieces of WOOD!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Haier posted:

LOL at humanity.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

How much would you pay for a Dan Quayle autographed photo? $6,000? $550? I've got a deal for you! Only $50! You could frame this and hang it on your wall!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dan-Quayle-US-Vice-President-Signed-Vice-President-Photo-COA-/361457086071?hash=item5428856e77:g:VNQAAOxyaURTe5uJ

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

JediTalentAgent posted:

On the subject of Goodwill, has anyone else seen how angry customers in a Goodwill will get over things being priced in ways they don't like by getting really indignant over, "You get all this stuff for free!/Well, my family donates all the time and if you don't adjust this price we're just going to no longer donate items to Goodwill..."

edit: On the way out... "What's your name?! Well, I'm going to get online and send and email to your corporate office, because this is ridiculous... (under their breath) I can't believe they want to charge me $7 for some pieces of WOOD!"

People being terrible is why some places have a 24 hour hold rule for items found on the sales floor without a tag. People would get frothing mad at me when I stopped them from scamming. It would start off with someone going up to me with an item that was in decent shape and being like

"I found this out here without a sales tag, I guess someone forgot to price it! I think it's only worth about $5 though"

Then I'd tell them I'd have to take it into the warehouse and leave it overnight as per company policy and they'd go ballistic. "I'm not going to be here tomorrow! Everything should have a price anyway! Get your manager!" etc. The company jumped through hoops to make sure there no items without a tag on the sales floor at any point, and the price the customer suggested was always scandalously low, too. It was hilarious watching them leave without the thing they wanted just because saving $5 or $10 wasn't enough.

The thing that pissed me off the most was the unsupervised kids breaking anything worth selling. Manager would price all the old amplifiers/slide projectors/reel to reel machines way too high and they'd sit out for days only to end up in the compactor because the feral children ripped everything apart.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Ebay has been poo poo for a long time.

My former company was at one point the top seller of used phones on Ebay, and the transition to smartphones pretty much killed us as Ebay became more and more of a scammer's paradise for that type of item. I guess it probably comes down to the fact that a $75 phone isn't worth the effort of scamming, while a $300+ smartphone is. Scammer buyers really, really like iPhones in particular. And we encountered all the tricks in the book - pretend the item never arrived, or was covered in dogshit when it got to their door, or they'd "buy the wrong item" and then send back a broken phone that wasn't even ours. There was one scammer who would steal parts of the circuit board, and then reassemble the phones with different ESN numbers that had been blocked by Verizon. Not totally sure how that trick even worked or if I'm describing it correctly.

But try proving any of that stuff to Ebay.... So we went from having a nearly flawless feedback score during the era of dumbphones, with something like a 1% refund rate, to having a 3% return rate, then 5%, then 7%, and higher and higher as a greater % of our products became things that were valuable enough to scam.

We started tracking the phones by serial number to verify whether the returned items were actually ours, but Ebay was difficult as hell to work with and still sided with the buyer 90% of the time we were getting scammed. In one sense, I understand that some low level Ebay employee doesn't have time to look through a spreadsheet full of iPhone serial numbers, but they basically never solved the problem. It was just really frustrating that you could document everything, take pictures, record serial numbers, and still lose money to obvious scammers that any non-ebay employee would say "yup that was a scam".

And on the rare occasion that Ebay would side with us, they would just leave negative feedback and get all their buddies to do the same thing, so you'd have a spike of negative feedback that fucks up your rating and your seller fees go up.

We eventually just abandoned direct-to-consumer sales entirely.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nubile Hillock posted:

The thing that pissed me off the most was the unsupervised kids breaking anything worth selling. Manager would price all the old amplifiers/slide projectors/reel to reel machines way too high and they'd sit out for days only to end up in the compactor because the feral children ripped everything apart.

This is the worst. I can understand raising rear end in a top hat children sucks (especially if you were a lovely parent who taught them to be assholes), but wtf is wrong with parents who stand there and talk poo poo about family members while their nugget of a kid is knocking down boxes of cereal or hula hoops or stomping on DVD cases because they like the sound things make when they break. What happened to shame.

Oh ya ebay poo poo: their promotionals are shady as gently caress and have hilariously tiny time windows (as if being a seller didnt suck enough). Really, there's no reason to use them because Amazon does the same thing for legit retail items, Etsy exists for handmade items, and alibaba exists for from-chinese-factory incredibly cheap weird crap.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 2, 2016

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Justin Tyme posted:

People who try and jump on collectible/scalping fads are the best. Like all those stupid loving Amiibos that people think their collections are worth hundreds if not thousands despite the fact that they're turned out by the factory by the millions and have absolutely 0 value since they're just injection molded pieces of poo poo with a little NFC chip in the base.

Back at the end of the Beanie Babies craze, there was a "WE BUY BEANIES!" ad in the paper. My wife had some that she got for the standard price before their values got way inflated. We took them over and sold them. Got some decent coin for a couple of them - $30/40 range. Sold the rest for about what she paid for them.

There was a family in line behind us that were absolutely incensed that some of theirs that they had paid hundreds for each, were at that point worth around $10 a piece tops.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The vast majority of the second-hand collectible scalping is retarded as hell. We're talking people who will buy out the stock of a small-scale production of a kids toy then try to get someone to pay 80+ dollars for it.

brb mortgaging my house to afford a set of Power Lords reboot figures

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Neurolimal posted:

Oh ya ebay poo poo: their promotionals are shady as gently caress and have hilariously tiny time windows (as if being a seller didnt suck enough).

Around Christmas time last year they sent out a newsletter that basically said they'd give you eBay credit back if you sold the "top-selling items" of that season, basically implying that you should go out and buy up all the hot toys and then sell them at a mark-up in order to make eBay a ton of money on commission.

As for shady buyers, the closest I came was when I sold my iPad 2 and I had two 0-feedback bidders in a bidding war who ran it up well past the market value. Both of them had connections to a Seattle Goodwill, one had a feedback from them and the other was a member of the Seattle Goodwill eBay "group". I contacted eBay to ask for advice and they said to go ahead and cancel their bids since it was obvious that it was a scam of some kind. Maybe I've been lucky but eBay's Indian outsourced customer service does seem to be friendly and helpful as long as you catch a scammer before they get ahold of your item. If you've already completed the transaction you may be hosed though.

e: Also the two 0-feedback bidders conveniently received feedback on the day they registered from suspicious sources, including that Seattle Goodwill. Lesson learned: Don't ever try to sell your Apple products on eBay. Or anywhere else for that matter.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 2, 2016

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
And yet people are still selling phones?

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Mein Eyes! posted:

And yet people are still selling phones?

I upgraded from a Galaxy SIII to S6 when the S6 came out. I'd never sold anything on eBay before, but figured I'd give it a whirl. Had the original box and everything and the phone was in great shape for being 3 years old. I paid $200.00 for it when I bought it

Put it up with a "Buy It Now" of $85.00 and figured if I got more than $40.00 for it I'd be happy. Someone bought it for the BIN price.

Not bad for a "flagship" phone that was 3 generations old.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Go with Craigslist.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Didn't ebay at one time pretty much remove Nigeria as an option to buy from or ship to?

The only time I really use it any more is if I need to find a specific part for something obscure like a vintage stereo or an older phone.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

JediTalentAgent posted:

I've been a big fan of thrift shopping for a few decades and always talk to the employees and learn all the poo poo going on (for my own shopping benefit). In the case of Goodwill and any other thrift store, there's so much people don't even realize:

The price of rent/lease/etc on the building every month
Paying employees + benefits and all that stuff
Buying and refueling the trucks that pick-up/drop-off or transport all the poo poo
Utility bills
The shelves and racks
Advertising (sometimes)
The fact that people just drop literal garbage at the stores instead of paying the fee for the local dump site, and the stores having to pay huge fees for constant dumpster swap outs
Broken poo poo
Drug addicts destroying the bathrooms and fitting rooms
Security people (sometimes) and cameras because break-ins do happen
Registers and computers
Doctor bills paid for workers that get hurt by loving huge TVs and couches falling on them
Pretty much anything that a store needs to be a legal and lawful business

Also Goodwills fund their job program centers and disabled people training programs completely by purchases and money donations.
Other thrift stores with cheaper prices have a lot of church or other groups send people to volunteer and barely have to pay for anyone but still have most of the same things to pay as listed above.

Shoppers are loving idiots and "you get all this for free" is true, but they are shopping at a business and businesses have expenses.

WescottF1 posted:

I upgraded from a Galaxy SIII to S6 when the S6 came out. I'd never sold anything on eBay before, but figured I'd give it a whirl. Had the original box and everything and the phone was in great shape for being 3 years old. I paid $200.00 for it when I bought it

Put it up with a "Buy It Now" of $85.00 and figured if I got more than $40.00 for it I'd be happy. Someone bought it for the BIN price.

Not bad for a "flagship" phone that was 3 generations old.

This is probably how I am buying my next Android and I will be that "Buy it now" guy.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

OctoberBlues posted:

I remember as recently as 6 or 7 years ago you could dick around on ebay and find all kinds of cool stuff for cheap because people had extra crap and wanted to get rid of it at a fair price.

Now, everything is vintage and rare. This person is selling a coffee can for $20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-RAR...cUAAOSwNphWaORu

This person is selling a t-shirt that would have been $5 back in 2007 but is now vintage and $45. I would have bought and worn this ironically for $5. $45? Not so much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-198...DEAAOSw7FRWXlhM

Here is a chipmunk thing that is broken and they want $20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Home-Interiors-Chipmunk-/161926222197?hash=item25b38e1175:g:dyIAAOSwd4tULM57

Why do people waste their time when this poo poo will never sell? Why not put a reasonable price on things? Where can I get a good deal on ironic poo poo these days?!?!?

Because everyone's trying to make a quick buck quick. some even add in the price of relisting their item multiple times over because no one wants to pay the bullshit price.
At least the postage price dickheads* aren't as rampant as they used to be

*The stupid fuckers that price their poo poo low and then charge the difference they discounted in shipping. So while you might find something at a good price for like 15 bucks, the shipping would be marked up to 60 bucks

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Supreme Allah posted:

If you actually still even remember your ebay log-in details literally kill yourself, take your own life, do it now coward.

my browser still remembered, but it was an account for fake bids from like, 5 years ago.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

JediTalentAgent posted:

These are the same fuckers who go to the pharmacy and complain for 30 minutes when the total cost with their Medicare is $1.24 instead of $0.60

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Haier posted:

Ebay owns for the ebay stores being an Amazon Prime equivalent without the membership fee. Free shipping on everything and I usually get it all within a couple days anyway. I've even found shops that have their own sites or also on Amazon and everything with them is $5+ shipping, but is free shipping on ebay, so I just use their ebay store and save a few bucks.
Also, lots of weird poo poo directly from Chinese factories almost at-cost.

I genuinely wouldn't mind seeing these "weird chinese poo poo almost at-cost" items, because I'd like to see interesting weird items, and not the same ol' poo poo everybody uses ebay for like videogames and apple products.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
It's probably just several different observations rolled into one, though. A lot of retail discord breaking out at the Goodwill from people unhappy with prices; something I hear/see about once every few weeks. The strange thing is I don't quite see the same level at Habitat or Salvation Army stores, for some reason.

Habitat maybe attracts more DIY people, decorators and collectors since a lot of their stuff seems to be more home improvement/decor related.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Most everything I've bought on ebay went through just fine. Though most are cheap poo poo from China or surplus stuff from the old soviet block.

I've had two though that were recalled by the sellers.

Was looking for a tent at one point and happened on one for 30 bucks, big 5 person tent and poo poo and thought that the price was odd. Did some looking around and the same tent normally retailed for 300. I figured for 30 I'd take a shot at it. Got a message later that night that the items were being pulled because the price listing was a fuckup. I tried to fight for it because I feel even if it was a fuckup it's your fuckup and you should have to honor that if people buy the items from you. Ebay just refunded my account and considered the action closed

The other I figured I'd snatch up one of those Indian made pickelhaubens since the auction started at 5 bucks. I was the only bidder and shipping was 20 bucks. a day after the auction ended the listing was pulled and the excuse was the item was damaged/missing. gently caress them

Aside from those, never really had a problem with ebay. Even bought live fish through it

WescottF1 posted:

Back at the end of the Beanie Babies craze, there was a "WE BUY BEANIES!" ad in the paper. My wife had some that she got for the standard price before their values got way inflated. We took them over and sold them. Got some decent coin for a couple of them - $30/40 range. Sold the rest for about what she paid for them.

There was a family in line behind us that were absolutely incensed that some of theirs that they had paid hundreds for each, were at that point worth around $10 a piece tops.

That craze still amazes me. I worked at McDonald's when they launched the teeny beanies and goddamn, before we even opened at 5am people were lined up down the streets. Counter was mobbed all day long, even had the local cops directing traffic because the cars lined up down the road through intersections, solid, bumper to bumper to prevent anyone from getting in front of them. At one point I had to grab one of the fryer lids and stand in the opening between the counter and the wall to keep people from trying to come back and rifle through the boxes.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 2, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

SocketWrench posted:

*The stupid fuckers that price their poo poo low and then charge the difference they discounted in shipping. So while you might find something at a good price for like 15 bucks, the shipping would be marked up to 60 bucks

If I think I'm going to get screwed on shipping I wait until after I've won the auction then send them a request for an invoice with the shipping estimates from the Can Post/ USPS sites, and if they get belligerent I tell them that I'm going to check how much it would have cost them to ship the package to me and if they padded it then I would say as much in their feedback and contact eBay

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Global shipping sucks. What used to be $10 or less to ship is now $50. It's insane.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

SocketWrench posted:

That craze still amazes me. I worked at McDonald's when they launched the teeny beanies and goddamn, before we even opened at 5am people were lined up down the streets. Counter was mobbed all day long, even had the local cops directing traffic because the cars lined up down the road through intersections, solid, bumper to bumper to prevent anyone from getting in front of them. At one point I had to grab one of the fryer lids and stand in the opening between the counter and the wall to keep people from trying to come back and rifle through the boxes.

LOL - I'm sure their lovely beanies were worth it two years later or whenever the crash occured.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Ebay is still a good source for not very popular old people collectibles. I sell my grandads 100 year old postcards on there and make bank.

Stamps, coins, pins and stuff like that too.

Old political stuff is good too, but anything since after the 70s is garbage

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

yoloer420 posted:

Global shipping sucks. What used to be $10 or less to ship is now $50. It's insane.

It's a really good example of why Privatized services are infinitely worse than Public ones. What USPS/ Canada Post does for $10 UPS can charge $Whatever-the-gently caress-we-want.

UPS is even shittier than USPS/CP in terms of delivery times, it's mind boggling how dumb it is

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

It's a really good example of why Privatized services are infinitely worse than Public ones. What USPS/ Canada Post does for $10 UPS can charge $Whatever-the-gently caress-we-want.

UPS is even shittier than USPS/CP in terms of delivery times, it's mind boggling how dumb it is

all the private services basically use usps to exist and are a drain on the postal system itself considering congress shits on them since ups and fedex ARE MORE EFFICIENT. bigger racket than internet providers.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

SocketWrench posted:

Because everyone's trying to make a quick buck quick. some even add in the price of relisting their item multiple times over because no one wants to pay the bullshit price.
At least the postage price dickheads* aren't as rampant as they used to be

People did that to pay less selling fees. eBay changed the rules and now charges Final Value Fees to the seller base on the total price+shipping. It's a decent solution but it sucks for the seller when you pay a bunch of fees just because something really does cost a lot to ship.

Another thing that eBay did that's stupid is set a limit for the amount you can charge as a flat shipping cost in certain categories. For books and video games, it's $4.95. So if I want to ship it out in a USPS padded flat rate envelope, I either have to set it to calculated which charges the buyer $6.10 even though it only costs me $5.35 or I charge a flat $4.95 and add the $0.40 into the price of the item. It's not the biggest deal in the world but it loving stupid that I can't just set the flat shipping rate to what it actually costs me to mail those kinds of items, using one of the most logical shipping methods.

It also doesn't take into account that you might be selling a huge lot of items. I ran into that issue when I sold like 100 magazines and eBay wouldn't let me charge a flat rate of $14.80 to ship them in a large flat rate box.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 2, 2016

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Haier posted:

Also Goodwills fund their job program centers and disabled people training programs completely by purchases and money donations.
Other thrift stores with cheaper prices have a lot of church or other groups send people to volunteer and barely have to pay for anyone but still have most of the same things to pay as listed above.

Shoppers are loving idiots and "you get all this for free" is true, but they are shopping at a business and businesses have expenses.

Goodwill's job program is a scam. I tried to apply for a job at Goodwill because a friend of mine who works there told me that they were hiring. They made me sign up for their jobs program instead of just letting me apply directly for the job I wanted. They made me make up a fake "barrier to employment" because it makes them look good for their numbers and their public image. Then once I was in their program they treated me like a retard who didn't know how to write a resume or interview for a job.

What I learned from that experience is that Goodwill just funnels as many people as they can through their jobs program whether they have "barriers to employment" or not. Then they advertise how many people they helped and put huge pictures of retarded people all over their store.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FIRST TIME posted:

Goodwill's job program is a scam. I tried to apply for a job at Goodwill because a friend of mine who works there told me that they were hiring. They made me sign up for their jobs program instead of just letting me apply directly for the job I wanted. They made me make up a fake "barrier to employment" because it makes them look good for their numbers and their public image. Then once I was in their program they treated me like a retard who didn't know how to write a resume or interview for a job.

What I learned from that experience is that Goodwill just funnels as many people as they can through their jobs program whether they have "barriers to employment" or not. Then they advertise how many people they helped and put huge pictures of retarded people all over their store.

I worked nights at a hospital as a janitor while I was in college. Occasionally I'd get pulled into the night laundry to help out when they were down a person.

The night manager of laundry was a 7 foot tall transvestite that looked like Jeff Goldblum, and the entire staff was mentally challenged people. Each tasks was designed for a special needs person with weird rules like "you can't sit down at all" and "you aren't allowed to work with anyone or talk at all while you work".

On a few of my shifts I stood in one place for hours and stacked washcloths as they came out of a dryer. I did nothing but stand there for hours. I got a stool and sat on it while I worked. The other workers just looked at me in awe when I got the stool. A few pointed at me but didn't say anything. It was a surreal experience. I figured the boss would enjoy having someone that was able to exercise critical thinking, but instead he flipped out and started screaming at me.

Later, I had a class that ended late and conflicted with my schedule. I asked the boss if I could come in one hour late on Mondays and Wednesdays, since the job only took me four hours to finish, I figured why would he care. Instead he told me to decide what was more important, this job or my class. I asked him if he was serious, and he replied "Well, you knew the schedule when you took this job, so why are you scheduling classes during it?"

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Pekinduck posted:

In a just world it would be illegal for ebay and paypal to be the same company.

They are no longer the same company.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Roy posted:

craigslist is better

although occasionally you'll go to pick up a table and end up sucking off some hunky dude

What state is this where I can get a fabulous end table
& a distraction in one pleasant afternoon?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
a few months ago i used ebay to buy a refurbished router that was ~10bux or so cheaper than on amazon, so it's useful every once in a rare while

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Nonsense posted:

all the private services basically use usps to exist and are a drain on the postal system itself considering congress shits on them since ups and fedex ARE MORE EFFICIENT. bigger racket than internet providers.

Yeah, I can't really complain using the USPS, everything's tracked well and deliveries are normally quick and on time with the estimation, except when they need to close another sorting center because Congress stuffed another stick up their rear end about them.
UPS always makes me wait extra time or I have to drive to their store to get my stuff because I'm not home at 8 or 9pm when they decide to deliver, and Fedex either dumps my poo poo on the USPS to deliver or throws the poo poo on my doorstep and leaves without even a knock.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

weird rules like "you can't sit down at all" and "you aren't allowed to work with anyone or talk at all while you work".

On a few of my shifts I stood in one place for hours and stacked washcloths as they came out of a dryer. I did nothing but stand there for hours. I got a stool and sat on it while I worked. The other workers just looked at me in awe when I got the stool. A few pointed at me but didn't say anything. It was a surreal experience. I figured the boss would enjoy having someone that was able to exercise critical thinking, but instead he flipped out and started screaming at me.

This is lots of jobs. Sitting or talking is slacking and thinking is a means to trouble. When I started working my current job I worked on the automated welders a lot. Standing in one spot for ten hours is a loving pain, so I got a stool and used it for a while till the owners saw me sitting and flipped their poo poo. About a year later they got stools for all of the welders and now they make almost double the parts now because they aren't spending time popping pain killers or wandering off to the bathrooms to stretch or relax.

my previous job stressed team work and smart thinking, but you couldn't talk or be around anyone and anything you did to make the process easier wasn't in line with the "current standards".

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 2, 2016

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Nonsense posted:

I genuinely wouldn't mind seeing these "weird chinese poo poo almost at-cost" items, because I'd like to see interesting weird items, and not the same ol' poo poo everybody uses ebay for like videogames and apple products.

A lot of the stuff needs to be directly searched for, or comes up as a "similar item" sometimes. If you truly want weird Chinese garbage of all kinds for super low prices and month-long shipping, try the one and only:

https://www.fasttech.com/

I usually just buy clothes from China Ebay sellers. If you take your measurements properly and still order the next size bigger than what you think matches you, you can get decent clothes that you can't find similar in the US without paying a lot more.

FIRST TIME posted:

Goodwill's job program is a scam.

Every Goodwill in an area is operating under a territory kind of deal. They territories operate almost independently from each other, some failing or earning more, some being really lovely and some being good. It depends completely on the management and the team behind it. Not all Goodwill territories are trying to scam people, but some are.

Haier fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 2, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
e: gently caress sorry

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

The post office has gotten a lot better in recent years, but it wasn't that long ago that things were reversed. A moderately sized box that cost under $10 to ship via UPS used to cost almost twice that at the post office and UPS had end-to-end tracking while the post office made you pay extra for "delivery confirmation" that may or may not have worked and was no help when you were on the day 15 of their 2-3 day delivery estimate. It's much much better now with the flat-rate boxes and tracking that actually works.

Companies like UPS and FedEx are still the only game in town when you need services with guaranteed delivery times or international overnight delivery.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I hope that UPS burns

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, I can't really complain using the USPS, everything's tracked well and deliveries are normally quick and on time with the estimation, except when they need to close another sorting center because Congress stuffed another stick up their rear end about them.

USPS is so inefficient, better close another sorting center! :shepface:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

SocketWrench posted:

UPS always makes me wait extra time or I have to drive to their store to get my stuff because I'm not home at 8 or 9pm when they decide to deliver, and Fedex either dumps my poo poo on the USPS to deliver or throws the poo poo on my doorstep and leaves without even a knock.

This is lots of jobs. Sitting or talking is slacking and thinking is a means to trouble. When I started working my current job I worked on the automated welders a lot. Standing in one spot for ten hours is a loving pain, so I got a stool and used it for a while till the owners saw me sitting and flipped their poo poo. About a year later they got stools for all of the welders and now they make almost double the parts now because they aren't spending time popping pain killers or wandering off to the bathrooms to stretch or relax.

my previous job stressed team work and smart thinking, but you couldn't talk or be around anyone and anything you did to make the process easier wasn't in line with the "current standards".

I never loving understood why jobs that don't have you actively interacting with the public have such byzantine requirements to the point where they are actively handicapping their own productivity. Even as a gate guard for a military installation we could sit on a stool and talk to each other when traffic was low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Justin Tyme posted:

I never loving understood why jobs that don't have you actively interacting with the public have such byzantine requirements to the point where they are actively handicapping their own productivity.

More dangerous than someone with the power to do many things is someone with the power to do only one thing.

• Locked thread